UCSD vs UC Davis vs Michigan vs NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cellar Door

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, sorry to start another annoying X vs Y vs Z thread, but hey it's a great way to procrastinate right? I would like to hear people's thoughts about the schools I am considering. Any and all comments are welcome, no matter how profound or superficial.

A little background info:

California Resident
I want to eventually practice in California.
Michigan has offered me a scholarship that makes it the same price as state schools.
Interested in working with underserved/diverse populations.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a similar boat (CA resident, considering both in-state and out-of-state options).

I'd say UCSD. It is a great school, and arguably on the rise. You'll get great clinical training with their diversity of teaching hospitals in the region. You will also get good exposure to under-served populations at the Free Clinics. And its cheap!

UC Davis and Michigan come in at a close second. I'd cross NYU off the list; doesn't sound like you are particularly interested in the big-city experience.

All are exceptional medical schools that produce good docs, and have solid match lists. Good luck with the decision.

I'm in a similar situation, Cellar. I'm leaning towards UCSD at this point. It's a great school...in Cali! Although I love Michigan :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say UCSD, as I am waiting to hear from UC Davis :)

Is UCD really comparable to UCSD/Michigan? I've been surprised how positive SDN is towards UCD and I'm wondering if I'm missing something...?? Yes UCD is a good school but I thought UCSD was at the same level as UCLA :confused: I hear there are people struggling between UCD and UCLA as well...Are the UC schools more comparable for med school than undergrad?

Sorry I don't mean this post to come across as negative I'm honestly just wondering

Is UCD really comparable to UCSD/Michigan? I've been surprised how positive SDN is towards UCD and I'm wondering if I'm missing something...?? Yes UCD is a good school but I thought UCSD was at the same level as UCLA :confused: I hear there are people struggling between UCD and UCLA as well...Are the UC schools more comparable for med school than undergrad?

Sorry I don't mean this post to come across as negative I'm honestly just wondering

Sorry to the OP for sidetracking.

I think people who struggle between UCD and UCLA are for personal reasons such as being from northern california, etc. I've actually been surprised about UCD as well from the comments on SDN but when I interviewed there, I actually got the best feeling from the students compared to most schools I've interviewed at including UCLA. UCD has a smaller class size compared to UCLA and UCSD.

UCSD n UCLA definitely have more research opportunities but for people who are struggling between the schools, I think it's mostly based on fit and personal reasons. In terms of rankings, UCLA/UCSD are definitely near the top and similar, but for personal reasons and 'fit', there can be a struggle between any school, such as one of the SDN members choosing Tulane over Columbia. You'd think it's crazy but a lot of people believe fit > reputation.

Also, each UC is different from one another, so depends on which one floats your boat more.

For primary care and underserved populations UCD is similar, if not even better, than UCSD. UCD also has new facilities in Sacramento that are apparently very nice.

The big difference between UCSF/UCLA/UCSD and the traditionally lower UCs is the amount of the research funding and research opportunities available. So, I wouldn't say that UCD is on the same level, but it provides a lot of positives that are worth considering in the discussion.

Sorry to the OP for sidetracking.

I think people who struggle between UCD and UCLA are for personal reasons such as being from northern california, etc. I've actually been surprised about UCD as well from the comments on SDN but when I interviewed there, I actually got the best feeling from the students compared to most schools I've interviewed at including UCLA. UCD has a smaller class size compared to UCLA and UCSD.

UCSD n UCLA definitely have more research opportunities but for people who are struggling between the schools, I think it's mostly based on fit and personal reasons. In terms of rankings, UCLA/UCSD are definitely near the top and similar, but for personal reasons and 'fit', there can be a struggle between any school, such as one of the SDN members choosing Tulane over Columbia. You'd think it's crazy but a lot of people believe fit > reputation.

Also, each UC is different from one another, so depends on which one floats your boat more.

For primary care and underserved populations UCD is similar, if not even better, than UCSD. UCD also has new facilities in Sacramento that are apparently very nice.

The big difference between UCSF/UCLA/UCSD and the traditionally lower UCs is the amount of the research funding and research opportunities available. So, I wouldn't say that UCD is on the same level, but it provides a lot of positives that are worth considering in the discussion.

Thanks for the input :) I am actually trying to decide between UCD and some private east coasters. Now I won't have to post a "UCD vs. XYZ" thread.

Ok I also apologize for hijacking this thread! I didn't interview at UCSD but I've heard from multiple people that a lot of students are miserable, spending all day in lecture. If that is indeed how things work over there, it would be good to think about.

I agree UCD students were very friendly and seemed happy. Go to UCD revisit day and check out the facilities a bit more!

I didn't interview at UCSD but I've heard from multiple people that a lot of students are miserable, spending all day in lecture. If that is indeed how things work over there, it would be good to think about.

Don't let silverlining catch you uttering those kinds of blasphemes :p

UCSD medical students being miserable is, as far as I can tell, an outdated rumor from the old adminstrative regime. From the current MS1/2s that I met at second look, almost everyone seemed happy and only about 1/3 of them actually go to lecture. So, take that for what it's worth.

The undergrads on the other hand...atleast they had Sungod to look forward to.

Thanks for the input :) I am actually trying to decide between UCD and some private east coasters. Now I won't have to post a "UCD vs. XYZ" thread.

Ok I also apologize for hijacking this thread! I didn't interview at UCSD but I've heard from multiple people that a lot of students are miserable, spending all day in lecture. If that is indeed how things work over there, it would be good to think about.

I agree UCD students were very friendly and seemed happy. Go to UCD revisit day and check out the facilities a bit more!

Yeah, the "miserable student" reputation was definitely more true in the past then it is now. The new deans have made it their mission to get rid of that reputation. And it definitely showed after meeting the first and second years at second look.

I'm definitely leaning more towards a California school, but its hard to say no to Michigan. I think it is the best overall at education and school environment, the only thing going against it is the location (cold and far.) Ive heard that location is an important factor for being happy in medical school, so it is a legitimate concern.

NYU is under consideration just because when ever would i be able to live in new york for 600/mo.

Going to Michigan will definitely not hurt your chances of getting a CA residency. Also, it would open up other doors so in case you want to go to an East Coast Residency, Michigan would also help you out. I say go to UMich, because that is where it seems you want to go... Congrats on your great acceptances, by the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.