U Toledo V. Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SamanJP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between U Toledo and Tulane. I liked both schools when I visited. I loved New Orleans and prefer to be in a city. However, Toledo is ~90K cheaper than Tulane... thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Both schools are ranked very similarly, so that's a factor you don't have to consider. One is significantly cheaper than the other for you.

You also have provided no valuable information for us to learn anything about you to help you see the pros and cons. Small classes? Like the snow/cold? Where do you live right now/where is your family? Where do you want to do your residency (region...)?

Is 90K (actually, you really have to double it when you consider the interest you'll pay on it by the time you pay it back...so, 180K) worth being able to live in New Orleans?

Remember that it's about what you do where you go more than where you go...

I don't know anything about Toledo, but I was accepted to both LSU-NO and Tulane. I ended picking LSU (just decided yesterday), because the cost savings and limited debt are both very important to me. It was a tough decision, as I really liked Tulane's Public Health program and the community service mentality, but it would have cost me almost 120K more to attend.

I would pick Toledo in your situation in a heartbeat, and I don't say that lightly because New Orleans is indeed a fun city. But 100K+ (after interest) fun? I don't think so personally. Most of your time in medical school will be spent studying, and in terms of social life, the friendships/relationships you make with your classmates is more important than the city you live in. 3rd year rotations will be spent in the hospital wholly, and 4th year will be traveling the whole time and doing away rotations. While I would no doubt pick Tulane over Toledo all things equal, I'm not sure Tulane provides anything so special to justify paying 6 figures more in tuition.

Like the above poster mentioned, Toledo and Tulane are both equally regarded as "middle-tier" medical schools, and will provide great residency options provided you do well. Are you interested in public health and community service? That's one of Tulane's big things and they are always getting awards for that stuff, so that could be a consideration. Do you have a S.O. or family/friends in either region?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input! You're right, I didn't post too much about why I would choose one over the other.

Tulane seems to have a much better (more prestigious programs) match list, and I don't know yet what I will want to go into. I work at a top-tier research institution, and many of my colleagues/bosses had never heard of Toledo, which gave me pause. Ideally I would like to move back to NYC after medical school. Toledo's match list worried me since many of its graduates are staying in the midwest.

I was accepted at Toledo 2 days ago, which really has screwed up with my plans. I already booked flights, etc. to New Orleans.

I also hate the cold weather...but I will also hate being in ridiculous amounts of debt...

Thanks for your input! You're right, I didn't post too much about why I would choose one over the other.

Tulane seems to have a much better (more prestigious programs) match list
, and I don't know yet what I will want to go into. I work at a top-tier research institution, and many of my colleagues/bosses had never heard of Toledo, which gave me pause. Ideally I would like to move back to NYC after medical school. Toledo's match list worried me since many of its graduates are staying in the midwest.

I was accepted at Toledo 2 days ago, which really has screwed up with my plans. I already booked flights, etc. to New Orleans.

I also hate the cold weather...but I will also hate being in ridiculous amounts of debt...

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from a match list or perceived "reputation" among colleagues. In the eyes of PDs, neither is regarded more highly than the other, even if Tulane has more name-recognition. What's most important is to dominate step I, get solid evals/3rd year grades and have good electives fourth year.

That many Toledo graduates are staying in the Midwest is not a testament to limited opportunities in major cities, but to the fact that that's where they are applying for residency. I'm pretty sure Tulane is more diverse geographically, which is why many people return to their home areas for residency and it may deceive one into thinking that = superior match list.

Remember, Tulane or Toledo, if your goal is a NYC residency, the key will be spending as much time their as possible 4th year, doing away or "audition" rotations at the programs you want to be at, and ranking all the programs in that area for your field that are within your reach. Can't comment on the snow part as I've never seen snow (true snow, not dustings) in my life :D, but the lack of debt would certainly cause me to endure it. BTW, did you get full financial aid packages to know it's truly a 90K difference?

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from a match list or perceived "reputation" among colleagues. In the eyes of PDs, neither is regarded more highly than the other, even if Tulane has more name-recognition. What's most important is to dominate step I, get solid evals/3rd year grades and have good electives fourth year.

That many Toledo graduates are staying in the Midwest is not a testament to limited opportunities in major cities, but to the fact that that's where they are applying for residency. I'm pretty sure Tulane is more diverse geographically, which is why many people return to their home areas for residency and it may deceive one into thinking that = superior match list.

Remember, Tulane or Toledo, if your goal is a NYC residency, the key will be spending as much time their as possible 4th year, doing away or "audition" rotations at the programs you want to be at, and ranking all the programs in that area for your field that are within your reach. Can't comment on the snow part as I've never seen snow (true snow, not dustings) in my life :D, but the lack of debt would certainly cause me to endure it. BTW, did you get full financial aid packages to know it's truly a 90K difference?

Thanks again! I went to college in Boston and otherwise have lived in NYC. I was really looking forward to getting away from the snow. I found winters in Boston incredibly depressing.

I have gotten my financial aid package from Tulane (loans) but have not yet gotten it from Toledo. According to their financial aid people, you can become in-state, which accounts for a 30 thousand dollar/year difference for years 2-4.

I don't know anything about Tulane, but as far as Toledo goes - you CAN become in-state for Ohio schools, which does save a lot of money. Also, the cost of living in Toledo is pretty cheap. You said you wanted to be at a research institution (I was in the same situation and had to turn down a great fin aid package from Toledo) - Toledo is a more clinically focused school, but the professors I met there seemed more than willing to work with the students to set up research. One of my interviewers told me they don't bother having office hours because they're just always around/available. Also from what I saw, their match list is getting better, and the midwest focus is precisely because most of the graduates want to stay in the midwest. Their Step 1 scores are also pretty great. Also, they have good scholarships for continuing students. Personally, I think the debt question alone makes your decision for you. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.