U Edinburgh (R(D)SVS) c/o 2027/28

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClockworkCat09

Reaction score
Didn't see a thread for Edinburgh applicants, thought I'd start one!! First time intl applicant for the 4-year program, super nervous to hear back as I am really interested in this school haha 🤞

Members don't see this ad.

I heard back with good news today - got into 4-year program!! Hoping others also got good news & would love to hear from anyone else who got in & anyone currently at that school on your thoughts about the school, curriculum, etc :)

I heard back with good news today - got into 4-year program!! Hoping others also got good news & would love to hear from anyone else who got in & anyone currently at that school on your thoughts about the school, curriculum, etc :)
When did you interview, if you don’t mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
also accepted to the 4 year program and would love to hear current/graduated students' thoughts! i want the opportunity to work outside the states in the future which makes this school very appealing, but there's a lot of differences in the vet school models between the US and UK so if anyone has pros/cons to share i'd really appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 user
Current 3rd-year GEP about to go into my final year in the next few months and here are some pros and cons off the top of my head.

Pros:
- Cost (Even with the international fees it was still cheaper if not the same as some US options I had including the cost of living and transportation)
- Culture (The culture is very different here, a very cosmopolitan city with lots of people from different backgrounds and also different ways of practicing medicine for example antimicrobial stewardship is very big over here and there are much more strict regulations in practice. For instance, most animals are sedated for X-rays unless its an emergency a lot more people here have insurance, flank spays are more common for cats.
- Upper-year classes are taught by species which I like much better than organ system which I have heard from other schools
- Wednesday afternoons off for leisure in years 2-4 ( not 1st-year GEP because it's more lecture-heavy combining Year 1+2 of the 5-year program)
- Easy access to weekend getaways
- Professors (The majority of professors here are very passionate and actually enjoy teaching and are super friendly and helpful
- Lectures are recorded and usually uploaded on the same day
- Diverse class with people of different backgrounds some of us have previous masters and PhDs. I would say me GEP class ranges in age from 20s to late 30s -early 40s.
- Pass/Fail curriculum (Need to pass with 50-52% and can retake the test I think depending on the course they give you up to 2 retakes but the final may be an oral exam. Most exams are a combo of multiple-choice and short-answer questions.
- You get an Easter break each year which is 1 month off from the end of March through April you can relax, travel, or do some EMS during this time.
- They take student feedback seriously and really try their best to update the courses each year based on the previous year's feedback
- Staff support: You are assigned a personal tutor to help but also have access to many other vet campus resources and are able to apply for student disabilities (mental or physical) and get assistance and learning adjustments.

Cons:
- Cost ( travel back and forth during breaks can add up but you don't have to, during COVID a lot of people stayed in Edi for the first two years and never went home)
- Far from family + friends
- Salary for starting vets here in the UK currently is around 30,000-35,000 pounds a year but they also have better work-life balance than the states. I would say more than half of our class plans to go back to North America as do some 5 year students but some people are looking to stay.
- Transportation ( 40-50 minute commute each way)
- EMS (extramural studies requirements by the RCVS)
- No in-course surgical experience (If you want spay/neuter practice you need to find it outside of the school)
- Student Research Project (Graduation Requirement either a literature review, research, or questionnaire)
- Brexit (not all EU countries will automatically recognize your degree you would have to look it up the country by country)
- There are a number of diseases you don't learn about in detail compared to the states because they simply don't have it here. The school does have a student NAVLE folder for us but I think if you use Vet Prep or Zuku you can brush up on US diseases, also I did most of my EMS back home and saw regional diseases.

I think there is an Instagram page that students take over to give you a day in their life where you can also ask more questions. There is just so much to talk about that it's impossible to cover it all. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Do anyone know when the move in date is for the GEP students who choose to live in the student dorms for the first year?

And if GEP students are supposed to be looking at the undergraduate or postgraduate dorms?

Current 3rd-year GEP about to go into my final year in the next few months and here are some pros and cons off the top of my head.

Pros:
- Cost (Even with the international fees it was still cheaper if not the same as some US options I had including the cost of living and transportation)
- Culture (The culture is very different here, a very cosmopolitan city with lots of people from different backgrounds and also different ways of practicing medicine for example antimicrobial stewardship is very big over here and there are much more strict regulations in practice. For instance, most animals are sedated for X-rays unless its an emergency a lot more people here have insurance, flank spays are more common for cats.
- Upper-year classes are taught by species which I like much better than organ system which I have heard from other schools
- Wednesday afternoons off for leisure in years 2-4 ( not 1st-year GEP because it's more lecture-heavy combining Year 1+2 of the 5-year program)
- Professors (The majority of professors here are very passionate and actually enjoy teaching and are super friendly and helpful
- Diverse class with people of different backgrounds some of us have previous masters and PhDs. I would say me GEP class ranges in age from 20s to late 30s -early 40s.
- Pass/Fail curriculum (Need to pass with 50-52% and can retake the test I think depending on the course they give you up to 2 retakes but the final may be an oral exam. Most exams are a combo of multiple-choice and short-answer questions.
- You get an Easter break each year which is 1 month off from the end of March through April you can relax, travel, or do some EMS during this time.
- They take student feedback seriously and really try their best to update the courses each year based on the previous year's feedback
- Staff support: You are assigned a personal tutor to help but also have access to many other vet campus resources and are able to apply for student disabilities (mental or physical) and get assistance and learning adjustments.

Cons:
- Cost ( travel back and forth during breaks can add up but you don't have to, during COVID a lot of people stayed in Edi for the first two years and never went home)
- Salary for starting vets here in the UK currently is around 30,000-35,000 pounds a year but they also have better work-life balance than the states. I would say more than half of our class plans to go back to North America as do some 5 year students but some people are looking to stay.
- No in-course surgical experience (If you want spay/neuter practice you need to find it outside of the school)
- Student Research Project (Graduation Requirement either a literature review, research, or questionnaire)
- Brexit (not all EU countries will automatically recognize your degree you would have to look it up the country by country)
- There are a number of diseases you don't learn about in detail compared to the states because they simply don't have it here. The school does have a student NAVLE folder for us but I think if you use Vet Prep or Zuku you can brush up on US diseases, also I did most of my EMS back home and saw regional diseases.

I think there is an Instagram page that students take over to give you a day in their life where you can also ask more questions. There is just so much to talk about that it's impossible to cover it all. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
thank you so much, this is exactly what i was hoping for and really helpful! i also have a few more questions, if you don't mind!

- how easy is it to find ems placements? and did you find them beneficial, or more just something you had to get out of the way for graduation? (also are they a good opportunity to travel? i've heard some people use them for that!)
- do a decent amount of students end up working in the eu afterwards, even given the brexit accreditation situation? i'd like to have the option to work in france and there's unfortunately not much information on the degree approval process that i could find, it would be great to know if there's people who are doing something similar
- do you feel like there are a lot of good opportunities to get involved with horses on campus / in general? when i visited the school i saw their equine facilities and was pretty impressed, but my tour guide didn't seem very confident that you could work there unless you were in that specific rotation
- and last but not least! how bikeable is the commute?

Pros:

Cons:

Yes, thanks so much for all the info, it's super helpful!! I also had the same question as MooV did about residence halls - do you know how the school housing works for year 1 students who take them up on the one year of housing through the university? Which residence halls we might be placed in, if you get to choose or know for certain you'd have a single bedroom, if you'll be sure to have other GEP students in your apartment, etc?

Do anyone know when the move in date is for the GEP students who choose to live in the student dorms for the first year?

And if GEP students are supposed to be looking at the undergraduate or postgraduate dorms?
Not sure but GEP year 1 usually starts at the beginning of August you would have to contact Uni housing, and the degree is considered undergraduate over here. They randomly pair you up with other undergrads but try to keep vet students together. I was in a dorm with 3 other students 2 of whom were vet students.

You should be able to see on the Uni website the undergraduate housing options with the estimated price and how many beds or bathrooms there are per unit. I stayed in South Clerk Street the units were mostly 4 people but some were massive I think 5-8 people. We had a shared bathroom and a big kitchen and someone came I believe once a week to clean the kitchen which was quite nice. Fridges are small here but also food is fresh and has fewer preservatives I think and goes off quicker than in the states so it's best to buy smaller amounts more often. Also, student housing has dryers but most private flats do not and you line/hang dry.

I have classmates who went into student housing and some who found flats but student housing is much easier the first year for many reasons. It can be difficult at times to live with other people some who may be just 18-19 years old and living on their own for the first time and parties can get loud. However, in student housing, you don't have to deal with the council, or flat letting agencies, don't need a guaranteer, and utilities and internet are taken care of.

Last edited:
thank you so much, this is exactly what i was hoping for and really helpful! i also have a few more questions, if you don't mind!

- how easy is it to find ems placements? and did you find them beneficial, or more just something you had to get out of the way for graduation? (also are they a good opportunity to travel? i've heard some people use them for that!)
- do a decent amount of students end up working in the eu afterwards, even given the brexit accreditation situation? i'd like to have the option to work in france and there's unfortunately not much information on the degree approval process that i could find, it would be great to know if there's people who are doing something similar
- do you feel like there are a lot of good opportunities to get involved with horses on campus / in general? when i visited the school i saw their equine facilities and was pretty impressed, but my tour guide didn't seem very confident that you could work there unless you were in that specific rotation
- and last but not least! how bikeable is the commute?
There is an online system for EMS placements the school has with student reviews but you hear a lot via word of mouth and school emails. I have done all of my EMS back in the USA as a student externship and some cooperations will pay you. There are both animal husbandry and clinical EMS requirements but they are trying to lower the weeks to make it more accessible to students. You have to do 2 weeks of lambing in the UK which can be a difficult but rewarding experience. There are also specific species you need to get husbandry experience with and some can be signed off if you have previous extensive experience (I got horses and dogs/cats waived). I think EMS though annoying at the time when you want a break is a good experience people tend to use it as a scout for what they want in a clinic when they graduate and it's a great way to see people practice medicine in different ways. I am doing a spay/neuter clinic in Spain this easter break as an EMS week and I have a friend who went to India and did a clinic there as well.

I really don't know enough students in upper years to say, I would say contacting the school or checking specifically if France accepts the BSVM degree would be helpful.

The Uni has an Exmoor pony trekking group run by students who take care of the ponies up in the Pentlands (I think they have 12) and give guided tours to people and it's run by students. There is also a horseback riding club and they try to arrange group discounted lessons at a farm in town, I think they may or may not be part of the polo team. The polo team barn is far out though and you would need a car or a ride from someone else. Often you see posts on the FB page about people leasing out horses to ride for students with previous knowledge and a lot of these barns are pretty close to the school. The actually equine hospital actually seems to be very short-staffed at the moment and are always looking for students to help with out-of-hours, some day, and weekend shifts (they have a cottage on site) I'm not sure but it may be limited to upper years 3-5. Honestly, though the equine hospital always seems to need help so if you expressed an interest and have previous experience they may let you help.

The best scenario bike ride is 45 minutes from Morningside on a good day and 1 hr in windy conditions. Some of our professors and one of my classmates bike but say it's not for the faint of heart. There really isn't a distinct bike lane and you share it with cars who aren't always the nicest. My classmate leaves at the same time as his flatmates for the bus and arrives at school before them. The big factor is the weather it can get very cold and windy here and rainy as well. There is a nice bike rack at school and I think there's a Doctor Bike who comes and does free inspections and fixes minor problems for students and staff. I take the bus to and from school and buy a student pass the school usually refunds some money but not a huge amount. Representatives at the main university are trying to get shuttles for the vet school but not really sure if it would happen anytime soon. The bus system within the city is really good though I think.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Not sure but GEP year 1 usually starts at the beginning of August you would have to contact Uni housing, and the degree is considered undergraduate over here. They randomly pair you up with other undergrads but try to keep vet students together. I was in a dorm with 3 other students 2 of whom were vet students.

You should be able to see on the Uni website the undergraduate housing options with the estimated price and how many beds or bathrooms there are per unit. I stayed in South Clerk Street the units were mostly 4 people but some were massive I think 5-8 people. We had a shared bathroom and a big kitchen and someone came I believe once a week to clean the kitchen which was quite nice. Fridges are small here but also food is fresh and has fewer preservatives I think and goes off quicker than in the states so it's best to buy smaller amounts more often. Also, student housing has dryers but most private flats do not and you line/hang dry.

I have classmates who went into student housing and some who found flats but student housing is much easier the first year for many reasons. It can be difficult at times to live with other people some who may be just 18-19 years old and living on their own for the first time and parties can get loud. However, in student housing, you don't have to deal with the council, or flat letting agencies, don't need a guaranteer, and utilities and internet are taken care of.

Thank you!

Just some more pros and cons because I am avoiding studying

Pros
- Rabies prophylaxis shots are cheaper here than in the US I think mine in total 180 GBP at a travel clinic
- Due to the P/F grading system I feel like our class is very collaborative and not competitive at all
- The community in Edinburgh is great and there's a FB group The Meadows Share where people give advice and oftentimes give away house items for free.
- Like I said before I think Costo and Ikea as well as many other shops are on the bus ride to and from school at Straiton Retail Park which is by Loanhead where some students live which is closer to school and cheaper than the city (10-15 minute bus ride and very bikeable)
- The city itself is very walkable and there is a lot to see and do for free (National Museum and Galleries). Lots of vegan/veggie-friendly cafes and restaurants.
- Our school has had a few exchange programs with other vet schools in Poland and there is an upcoming one in Munich, Germany.
- So far no professor had had a textbook requirement only recommendations (most you can get online free through the library to read) and we get written notes for each lecture (online or can buy printed ones)
- EMS bursary, you can apply for funding for EMS (travel expenses), and a lot of students underutilized it I think. Most places will provide accommodation but you usually need to buy food and figure out your own transportation. Some people do it in the city and some go to England, Wales, or Ireland.

Cons
- Housing can be expensive living in a city (450-900 pounds a month depending on if you share or live alone) and a lot of rooms here are pretty small compared to the US. As a non-UK resident, you need a UK guarantor (the school has a scheme for students up to a certain price per month) or you are usually required to pay 6 months' rent upfront.
- As a UK student some companies only have student discounts for US students (I think Figs is one of these?) However, vet companies recognize all schools so Vet Girl has a student membership and Plumbs etc..
- We have to take a VPH (Vet Public Health) course which is kind of boring at times since most of us want to be clinicians but it is very interesting to see how the food chain works here and the instructors are lovely.
- The weather here is cold and my skin is constantly dry.
- Dark winters = SAD which I never experienced before but it does make me appreciate the spring much more as I'm from FL where we have no seasons.
- I miss American food but there are a lot of interesting things here that I miss when I'm back home too!
- Time difference when trying to keep up with friends and family. Plus a lot of us have senior pets back home we miss and worry about.

I honestly applied for fun because a vet I worked with went to Royal Dick but I never in a million years would have thought they'd accept me. I'm very much a creature of habit so deciding to the UK to study vet medicine was very much out of my comfort zone. I feel as if I have grown so much in the past 3 years from moving and attending vet school overseas during a pandemic but I wouldn't have it any other way. It really is a once-in-a-lifetime experience to study abroad and learn more about different cultures while getting a great education.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Just some more pros and cons because I am avoiding studying

Pros
- Rabies prophylaxis shots are cheaper here than in the US I think mine in total 180 GBP at a travel clinic
- Due to the P/F grading system I feel like our class is very collaborative and not competitive at all
- The community in Edinburgh is great and there's a FB group The Meadows Share where people give advice and oftentimes give away house items for free.
- Like I said before I think Costo and Ikea as well as many other shops are on the bus ride to and from school at Straiton Retail Park which is by Loanhead where some students live which is closer to school and cheaper than the city (10-15 minute bus ride and very bikeable)
- The city itself is very walkable and there is a lot to see and do for free (National Museum and Galleries). Lots of vegan/veggie-friendly cafes and restaurants.
- Our school has had a few exchange programs with other vet schools in Poland and there is an upcoming one in Munich, Germany.
- So far no professor had had a textbook requirement only recommendations (most you can get online free through the library to read) and we get written notes for each lecture (online or can buy printed ones)
- EMS bursary, you can apply for funding for EMS (travel expenses), and a lot of students underutilized it I think. Most places will provide accommodation but you usually need to buy food and figure out your own transportation. Some people do it in the city and some go to England, Wales, or Ireland.

Cons
- Housing can be expensive living in a city (450-900 pounds a month depending on if you share or live alone) and a lot of rooms here are pretty small compared to the US. As a non-UK resident, you need a UK guarantor (the school has a scheme for students up to a certain price per month) or you are usually required to pay 6 months' rent upfront.
- As a UK student some companies only have student discounts for US students (I think Figs is one of these?) However, vet companies recognize all schools so Vet Girl has a student membership and Plumbs etc..
- We have to take a VPH (Vet Public Health) course which is kind of boring at times since most of us want to be clinicians but it is very interesting to see how the food chain works here and the instructors are lovely.
- The weather here is cold and my skin is constantly dry.
- Dark winters = SAD which I never experienced before but it does make me appreciate the spring much more as I'm from FL where we have no seasons.
- I miss American food but there are a lot of interesting things here that I miss when I'm back home too!
- Time difference when trying to keep up with friends and family. Plus a lot of us have senior pets back home we miss and worry about.

I honestly applied for fun because a vet I worked with went to Royal Dick but I never in a million years would have thought they'd accept me. I'm very much a creature of habit so deciding to the UK to study vet medicine was very much out of my comfort zone. I feel as if I have grown so much in the past 3 years from moving and attending vet school overseas during a pandemic but I wouldn't have it any other way. It really is a once-in-a-lifetime experience to study abroad and learn more about different cultures while getting a great education.
Thank you so much for all the extra info! I have pretty much decided to commit to Edinburgh so it's exciting to read the pros & useful to see the both the pros & cons. (I've also been digging through the school's housing info, good to see there's a range of prices for private housing and I could find something about the same cost or slightly cheaper than the school flats for the last 3 years). Especially happy to find out that the classes are recorded, pass/fail, and have a lot of free online access! I got waitlisted at my in-state school, but tbh, aside from the much lower tuition cost I was mainly interested in the pass/fail and recorded classes there as well - super happy to still be getting that! Haha
Also, you said you lived in South Clerk Street - did you have issues with mice, faulty heaters, road noise, and/or leaking showers/damp overall? Those things to be the biggest complaints in online reviews from the general student body for that dorm, just trying to figure out what the dorms are like atm

Thank you so much for all the extra info! I have pretty much decided to commit to Edinburgh so it's exciting to read the pros & useful to see the both the pros & cons. (I've also been digging through the school's housing info, good to see there's a range of prices for private housing and I could find something about the same cost or slightly cheaper than the school flats for the last 3 years). Especially happy to find out that the classes are recorded, pass/fail, and have a lot of free online access! I got waitlisted at my in-state school, but tbh, aside from the much lower tuition cost I was mainly interested in the pass/fail and recorded classes there as well - super happy to still be getting that! Haha
Also, you said you lived in South Clerk Street - did you have issues with mice, faulty heaters, road noise, and/or leaking showers/damp overall? Those things to be the biggest complaints in online reviews from the general student body for that dorm, just trying to figure out what the dorms are like atm
Knock on wood I have never heard or seen a mouse since I've been here, other classmates I think maybe in Newington had one or two. I think the big thing is cleanliness, making sure dishes are washed and not sitting in the sinks, taking out the trash/recycling weekly, and storing pantry food well in containers or in baggies.

The heater's I've never had an issue with, supposedly they charge you extra to use the boost button (I don't think that's true though). I would invest in a good hot water bottle and possibly an electric blanket I just got one and LOVE it.

My room was on the back side so not much road noise but there was a duck living next-door in the garden that we always heard. I would get nice earbuds for studying and or sleeping or go to the library to study. I hope it was just our cohort but someone always kept triggering the fire alarm at 1-2 am in the morning..... not cool

Damp is an issue in all of Scotland, the bathroom should have fans use them and leave them on after if you can (some may be linked to the lights). Open the windows for a few minutes each day as long as it's not raining to air out the flat. I've never had any horrible issues with it being too damp at South Clerk St though.

They did have wi-fi issues my first year, I think they weren't ready for everyone going online but I think they have since fixed it but you can also get an ethernet cord for in the flat or again use the library. Internet in Edi has been good at my flats after year 1 so it must have just been the school wi-fi at the time.

It's all very exciting, if you have any other questions about the process don't hesitate to reach out or direct message me!

Knock on wood I have never heard or seen a mouse since I've been here, other classmates I think maybe in Newington had one or two. I think the big thing is cleanliness, making sure dishes are washed and not sitting in the sinks, taking out the trash/recycling weekly, and storing pantry food well in containers or in baggies.

The heater's I've never had an issue with, supposedly they charge you extra to use the boost button (I don't think that's true though). I would invest in a good hot water bottle and possibly an electric blanket I just got one and LOVE it.

My room was on the back side so not much road noise but there was a duck living next-door in the garden that we always heard. I would get nice earbuds for studying and or sleeping or go to the library to study. I hope it was just our cohort but someone always kept triggering the fire alarm at 1-2 am in the morning..... not cool

Damp is an issue in all of Scotland, the bathroom should have fans use them and leave them on after if you can (some may be linked to the lights). Open the windows for a few minutes each day as long as it's not raining to air out the flat. I've never had any horrible issues with it being too damp at South Clerk St though.

They did have wi-fi issues my first year, I think they weren't ready for everyone going online but I think they have since fixed it but you can also get an ethernet cord for in the flat or again use the library. Internet in Edi has been good at my flats after year 1 so it must have just been the school wi-fi at the time.

It's all very exciting, if you have any other questions about the process don't hesitate to reach out or direct message me!
Awesome, thanks so much!! I definitely might reach out again, I really appreciate it!! :))

Pros:

Cons:

Hi there! I really appreciate all the information you've already provided. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind!

-Do you find it difficult to accumulate enough surgical experience though EMS?
-Any disadvantages/advantages in terms of skill set compared to US schools?
-Given the option of a US vs UK school, do you ever regret going abroad/wish you went to a US school?
-How often do you end up traveling back to the US? Also, any tips for how you keep costs of flights down is possible?
-Would you recommend finding solo housing or living with other RDSVS students?
-Do you have much time to travel during breaks with having to complete EMS?
-Any insight into what clinical years are like?
-Anything you wish you knew before going into your 1st year that you weren't prepared for?
-How do you cope with being so far away from friends/family/pets?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I am still trying to wrap my head around going abroad. I am planning on waiting to confirm my seat after April 15, but I am leaning towards RDSVS!!

Hi there! I really appreciate all the information you've already provided. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind!

-Do you find it difficult to accumulate enough surgical experience though EMS?
-Any disadvantages/advantages in terms of skill set compared to US schools?
-Given the option of a US vs UK school, do you ever regret going abroad/wish you went to a US school?
-How often do you end up traveling back to the US? Also, any tips for how you keep costs of flights down is possible?
-Would you recommend finding solo housing or living with other RDSVS students?
-Do you have much time to travel during breaks with having to complete EMS?
-Any insight into what clinical years are like?
-Anything you wish you knew before going into your 1st year that you weren't prepared for?
-How do you cope with being so far away from friends/family/pets?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I am still trying to wrap my head around going abroad. I am planning on waiting to confirm my seat after April 15, but I am leaning towards RDSVS!!
- It can be depending on where you do EMS, for instance, most placements are 2 weeks (but you can do I think 1-4/6 at one time ) some places may feel comfortable with you doing surgery some may not. I would for sure be upfront about when applying if that's something you want to practice with. As I said some people go to spay and neuter clinics overseas but the school discourages it due to the varying degree of medicine practiced and student support. I had to go to a 1 hr lecture in order to go overseas and get my upcoming EMS approved but it wasn't that bad. I emailed a local animal shelter back home and they let me come in do EMS and get some spay and neuters under my belt. The big take away I think is if you want it you can make it happen (ASPCA has a student program) but it won't make or break you. 1-5 surgeries in vet school is not going to make you a better vet than someone who did none in the grand scheme of things. Does it sometimes sting when you see friends at other schools doing spays possibly but in the long run it's not a huge deal. The dissections are done on frozen/defrosted specimens so it does smell more but it feels more like cutting into real tissue vs fixed specimens. The pathology club also has wet labs you can sign up for on cadavers. For example, we had lambs and I got to do eye enucleation and esophagostomy tube placement.
- I honestly don't know what US schools do but RDSVS is AVMA accredited as you know and we have OSPRES and OSCES just like other schools would. I think specifically lambing is something very unique to the UK schools which I loved doing and was very hands-on.
- The only regret I have about going abroad is being away from family and pets but it is only 4 years, no regrets scholastically that I can think of.
- I go back 2x a year for summer and Christmas break and stay here during the 1 month of Easter break. If you can get a credit card that gives you mileage points and book for non-busy flight days (so not F,Sat, Sun) you'll need time to adjust to the time change anyways. They used to have lots of options for flying into Edi before COVID then it as cut drastically; I think more airlines are starting to re-run those routes. For instance, I usually fly from Miami to Heathrow to Edinburgh but going back this year I'll have a flight from Tampa to Boston to Edi that was almost half the price as usual. Sometimes it's cheaper to book round trips but sometimes it's cheaper to book one-way tickets depending on the time of year.
- First-year I would recommend uni housing with other students to get to know people and keep costs down. After that if depends on the individual, are you an introvert or extrovert, are you tidy or messy, can you find people similar to your lifestyle to lie with? There's a thread somewhere here about sharing accommodation vs living alone in vet school. I lived with classmates my first two years and am living alone now my last two. Aside from univ housing rental contracts are fixed 30 days terms here so if you were unhappy you could potentially move (depending on joint or individual tenancy) I feel like a lot of classmates have moved around quite a bit the past 3 years.
- I don't start clinical till June but we have I think 23 weeks of core rotations we need to complete and then 4 selected rotations for 2 weeks each. You get 18 weeks I believe final year for a break whether you do EMS, SRC project, NAVLE study, vacation, or whatever you want and that's spread across summer + winter break and "free choice" weeks. I believe in the final year you get Wednesday afternoon off still for recreation. You have final year prep (~6 weeks) after the easter break of Y4 and before the final year actually starts.
- I honestly think the biggest shock was getting used to the culture more than anything, I did feel homesick at times but COVID was also a thing so very hard to get out and meet new people and classmates plus seasonal depression sucked and I had no motivation some days after I got back home. I also didn't expect it to be this cold, previously I was told it only snows a few inches maybe no more than 7 days a year but with climate change it snowed maybe 12-13 inches that first winter, and the city was not prepared classes were canceled busses couldn't get to school and I was frigid. Make sure you bring layers! I'll think more about if there's anything curriculum-wise I wasn't prepared for (perhaps having one final exam was shocking compared to the states but most classes have one in-course assessment before the final that counts towards your grade.
- What's App is my new best friend, I face-call family a lot and have them send pictures of the dogs constantly. For me, the time change is only 5 hours so not too bad. Plus my mom and sister came to visit after classes last year which was amazing.

- It can be depending on where you do EMS, for instance, most placements are 2 weeks (but you can do I think 1-4/6 at one time ) some places may feel comfortable with you doing surgery some may not. I would for sure be upfront about when applying if that's something you want to practice with. As I said some people go to spay and neuter clinics overseas but the school discourages it due to the varying degree of medicine practiced and student support. I had to go to a 1 hr lecture in order to go overseas and get my upcoming EMS approved but it wasn't that bad. I emailed a local animal shelter back home and they let me come in do EMS and get some spay and neuters under my belt. The big take away I think is if you want it you can make it happen (ASPCA has a student program) but it won't make or break you. 1-5 surgeries in vet school is not going to make you a better vet than someone who did none in the grand scheme of things. Does it sometimes sting when you see friends at other schools doing spays possibly but in the long run it's not a huge deal. The dissections are done on frozen/defrosted specimens so it does smell more but it feels more like cutting into real tissue vs fixed specimens. The pathology club also has wet labs you can sign up for on cadavers. For example, we had lambs and I got to do eye enucleation and esophagostomy tube placement.
- I honestly don't know what US schools do but RDSVS is AVMA accredited as you know and we have OSPRES and OSCES just like other schools would. I think specifically lambing is something very unique to the UK schools which I loved doing and was very hands-on.
- The only regret I have about going abroad is being away from family and pets but it is only 4 years, no regrets scholastically that I can think of.
- I go back 2x a year for summer and Christmas break and stay here during the 1 month of Easter break. If you can get a credit card that gives you mileage points and book for non-busy flight days (so not F,Sat, Sun) you'll need time to adjust to the time change anyways. They used to have lots of options for flying into Edi before COVID then it as cut drastically; I think more airlines are starting to re-run those routes. For instance, I usually fly from Miami to Heathrow to Edinburgh but going back this year I'll have a flight from Tampa to Boston to Edi that was almost half the price as usual. Sometimes it's cheaper to book round trips but sometimes it's cheaper to book one-way tickets depending on the time of year.
- First-year I would recommend uni housing with other students to get to know people and keep costs down. After that if depends on the individual, are you an introvert or extrovert, are you tidy or messy, can you find people similar to your lifestyle to lie with? There's a thread somewhere here about sharing accommodation vs living alone in vet school. I lived with classmates my first two years and am living alone now my last two. Aside from univ housing rental contracts are fixed 30 days terms here so if you were unhappy you could potentially move (depending on joint or individual tenancy) I feel like a lot of classmates have moved around quite a bit the past 3 years.
- I don't start clinical till June but we have I think 23 weeks of core rotations we need to complete and then 4 selected rotations for 2 weeks each. You get 18 weeks I believe final year for a break whether you do EMS, SRC project, NAVLE study, vacation, or whatever you want and that's spread across summer + winter break and "free choice" weeks. I believe in the final year you get Wednesday afternoon off still for recreation. You have final year prep (~6 weeks) after the easter break of Y4 and before the final year actually starts.
- I honestly think the biggest shock was getting used to the culture more than anything, I did feel homesick at times but COVID was also a thing so very hard to get out and meet new people and classmates plus seasonal depression sucked and I had no motivation some days after I got back home. I also didn't expect it to be this cold, previously I was told it only snows a few inches maybe no more than 7 days a year but with climate change it snowed maybe 12-13 inches that first winter, and the city was not prepared classes were canceled busses couldn't get to school and I was frigid. Make sure you bring layers! I'll think more about if there's anything curriculum-wise I wasn't prepared for (perhaps having one final exam was shocking compared to the states but most classes have one in-course assessment before the final that counts towards your grade.
- What's App is my new best friend, I face-call family a lot and have them send pictures of the dogs constantly. For me, the time change is only 5 hours so not too bad. Plus my mom and sister came to visit after classes last year which was amazing.
This actually gave me another couple questions, if you wouldn't mind answering them!

For the dissection labs, are they gracious about students wearing masks with some essential oils put in the fabric or something to help block out the smell? Nothing ever bothers me about dissections except the smell, and in the past I've found that helps a lot to block it out. (Granted, I think I was reacting more to the smell of the preservatives than the animal itself, but won't know for sure until I get out there I suppose)

Is attendance mandatory for lectures? Seeing as they are all recorded, will you be penalized if you miss a day or two here or there, or are late in the morning if you miss the bus? I'm not just thinking about being sick, but also if I were to try to fly home on a Thursday or something for lower air fares, whether those missed days would be penalized in some way

You said there's an in-course assessment that also counts toward the grade - are there also smaller, more frequent assignments you can do to test your own knowledge, even if they're optional or not counted for a grade? That was the impression I got from the info session I was at, but maybe I misunderstood and there's just the one per class

I don't think they care either way my classmate put peppermint oil in a fabric face mask.

General lectures are not mandatory just practicals and tutorials take attendance. For professional and clinical skills you need to attend 75% to pass the course. You can try to swap practical and tutorial times with classmates if needed and many people skip Monday or Friday classes if it just lectures to travel or go home. Exams tend to end on Thursday / Friday so you can either take a late flight Thursday or I sometimes just wait till Monday to fly back home. I've skipped a few days here and there if we only had 1-2 lectures because it wasn't worth it for me to bus to school.

The school has a PeerWise bank with practice questions but they're made by classmates so some and good and some are bad. It depends on the course, I think Dog and Cat had weekly MC or Short answer questions provided depending on the lecture. I know that the farm has 10 MCQs weekly worth 2% based on completeness only not correctness. I think it's more common to see practice questions provided in GEP Y2-3 than in the first year. We have clinical cases often where we go through a case as a class which helps and I know Neuro has lots of mini-quizzes or game show-like tests you can do yourself. Also most if not all lectures have learning objectives I try to go through and answer daily/weekly throughout the course so I don't get behind.

Is there a dress code for classes?
Not for lectures, and on the final day of lectures (GEP 3rd year or 4th year of the 5-year program ) the class wears animal onesies to school to celebrate. I think the FB page just posted a picture last week.

For tutorials/ or practicals we have PPE we have to wear. For the teaching labs/dissections scrub top or lab coat, for horses a boiler suit, boots, helmet and waterproof pants, top and wellie boots for the farm classes.

More things I wish I knew looking back or tips I have

- It cost more to sit the NAVLE here (I think $600-700 more but cheaper than the flight home and fewer distractions)
- You can get an international driver's license for up to 1 year through AAA. I haven't used it honestly but I have it just in case, trying to get a license here can be lengthy due to the lack of instructors and such high demand.
- The cafeteria here is small compared to the number of students but on a nice day you can sit outside and there are additional microwaves in the common room as well as a hot water tap for instant noodles or tea. Also, you can go across the street to Roslin and sit at Dolly's to eat.
- The right to roam law allows you to pretty much explore wherever but of course be respectful to farmers and their livestock. I don't personally walk through random sheep fields but you technically could. You can go up to the Pentlands and see the highland cows, they're usually easy to find.
- Sheep **** is like cement and so make sure you clean it well as soon as possible. Also, put name tags on your PPE on the label (and size up to wear warm clothes underneath) because they all look the same. I would get different wellies than the school ones if you're doing farm animal EMS as they're not comfortable for long days, I love my Muck Boots and heat saver socks or smart wool socks.
- You can go into the vet school before classes and on weekends with a pin given to you by the school.
- There are different 37 and 47 buses ones that go to campus and ones that don't. Usually, the 37 says 37B for bush and you can always ask the driver. Everyone at one point has gotten on the wrong bus. I have also heard of people being on the wrong side of the street and getting on the bus going north and not south.
- You're usually in the same lecture hall day to day sometimes you end up in Roslin but they don't have charger ports except for a few upfront. I would either get a portable charger or just make sure any electronics are charged before and put on better saver mode. The max ever was 3 lectures in Roslin which was just barely doable on a full battery but those days are uncommon.
- Use free or discounted student resources through CSU anatomy online, student VIN, vet girl, Plumb's app, NOAH app, and free fear-free training.
- Take advantage of the NHS you paid for it. Now saying that I have yet to use them for anything but I have no underlying conditions. The hours for a lot of businesses end before you get back from school some days (most shops close 4-5ish) but that's when you can just take a day off, leave early to get stuff done, do wait till the weekend.
- They don't have mailboxes here since it's a city so packages are just left outside of doors if they can even get into your building. I would try to make sure your home the expected delivery hours or you can re-route to an Amazon locker or Royal Mail post office and go there after class.
- If your family wanted to send a care package make sure it's small because the VAT and shipping are expensive!
- SRC projects depending on what you choose to do count towards weeks of EMS
- Terminology is just different here for example generic mixed stray cats are moggies, and they say RTA (road traffic accident) not HBC. Plus I had to stare at oesophagus for 5 minutes trying to figure out they mean esophagus, you do eventually get used to it though.
- Use the Wise app for money transfer the fees are so much cheaper than doing it through your bank (mine had a $50 flat fee for any wire transfer overseas) I think the Wise app charged me anywhere from $2-7 depending on the amount I sent.
- I would not advise living any north of Princess st. just purely due to the distance to campus.
- Invest in a good warm rain jacket as umbrellas are only useful 25% of the time due to wind
- It's probably cheaper in the long run to buy the student 9-month bus pass but that's up to you.
- Lastly, now that I think about it we haven't handled real live cats, probably because most people already know how to handle a cat and they get stressed so much easier than dogs. Also not sure what normal years do since I was COVID the first two years. I don't feel like I missed anything but I also have vet-assisting experience going into classes. We do have dog, horse, sheep, and cow clinical exams and exotic handling/exams.

More things I wish I knew looking back or tips I have

- It cost more to sit the NAVLE here (I think $600-700 more but cheaper than the flight home and fewer distractions)
- You can get an international driver's license for up to 1 year through AAA. I haven't used it honestly but I have it just in case, trying to get a license here can be lengthy due to the lack of instructors and such high demand.
- The cafeteria here is small compared to the number of students but on a nice day you can sit outside and there are additional microwaves in the common room as well as a hot water tap for instant noodles or tea. Also, you can go across the street to Roslin and sit at Dolly's to eat.
- The right to roam law allows you to pretty much explore wherever but of course be respectful to farmers and their livestock. I don't personally walk through random sheep fields but you technically could. You can go up to the Pentlands and see the highland cows, they're usually easy to find.
- Sheep **** is like cement and so make sure you clean it well as soon as possible. Also, put name tags on your PPE on the label (and size up to wear warm clothes underneath) because they all look the same. I would get different wellies than the school ones if you're doing farm animal EMS as they're not comfortable for long days, I love my Muck Boots and heat saver socks or smart wool socks.
- You can go into the vet school before classes and on weekends with a pin given to you by the school.
- There are different 37 and 47 buses ones that go to campus and ones that don't. Usually, the 37 says 37B for bush and you can always ask the driver. Everyone at one point has gotten on the wrong bus. I have also heard of people being on the wrong side of the street and getting on the bus going north and not south.
- You're usually in the same lecture hall day to day sometimes you end up in Roslin but they don't have charger ports except for a few upfront. I would either get a portable charger or just make sure any electronics are charged before and put on better saver mode. The max ever was 3 lectures in Roslin which was just barely doable on a full battery but those days are uncommon.
- Use free or discounted student resources through CSU anatomy online, student VIN, vet girl, Plumb's app, NOAH app, and free fear-free training.
- Take advantage of the NHS you paid for it. Now saying that I have yet to use them for anything but I have no underlying conditions. The hours for a lot of businesses end before you get back from school some days (most shops close 4-5ish) but that's when you can just take a day off, leave early to get stuff done, do wait till the weekend.
- They don't have mailboxes here since it's a city so packages are just left outside of doors if they can even get into your building. I would try to make sure your home the expected delivery hours or you can re-route to an Amazon locker or Royal Mail post office and go there after class.
- If your family wanted to send a care package make sure it's small because the VAT and shipping are expensive!
- SRC projects depending on what you choose to do count towards weeks of EMS
- Terminology is just different here for example generic mixed stray cats are moggies, and they say RTA (road traffic accident) not HBC. Plus I had to stare at oesophagus for 5 minutes trying to figure out they mean esophagus, you do eventually get used to it though.
- Use the Wise app for money transfer the fees are so much cheaper than doing it through your bank (mine had a $50 flat fee for any wire transfer overseas) I think the Wise app charged me anywhere from $2-7 depending on the amount I sent.
- I would not advise living any north of Princess st. just purely due to the distance to campus.
- Invest in a good warm rain jacket as umbrellas are only useful 25% of the time due to wind
- It's probably cheaper in the long run to buy the student 9-month bus pass but that's up to you.
- Lastly, now that I think about it we haven't handled real live cats, probably because most people already know how to handle a cat and they get stressed so much easier than dogs. Also not sure what normal years do since I was COVID the first two years. I don't feel like I missed anything but I also have vet-assisting experience going into classes. We do have dog, horse, sheep, and cow clinical exams and exotic handling/exams.
For the scrubs, are there school scrubs that we have to buy? Or can you wear any scrubs (& if so, do you recommend bringing a set over with you or just buying new ones over there?)
Also, you haven't handled cats at all – is that something you could focus the majority of your clinical EMS/free choice AHEMS to make up for? Do you know if you'll get more chances in the final year of the program? I'm actually very strongly interested in feline medicine (more so than general small practice), so that might be the most disappointing thing I've heard yet 🥲

For the scrubs, are there school scrubs that we have to buy? Or can you wear any scrubs (& if so, do you recommend bringing a set over with you or just buying new ones over there?)
Also, you haven't handled cats at all – is that something you could focus the majority of your clinical EMS/free choice AHEMS to make up for? Do you know if you'll get more chances in the final year of the program? I'm actually very strongly interested in feline medicine (more so than general small practice), so that might be the most disappointing thing I've heard yet 🥲
Any maroon scrub top, if you get it here will save space packing but not much.

You could, there is an all-cat clinic here in Edinburgh you could probably do EMS at (The Cat Clinic). Cat and dog is part of AHEMS so you would have to get hours in there with cats. You could do Cat Depot back home probably or something like that, they may also take vet students for clinical EMS depending on if they have a vet on-site. The school does have a feline medicine club but I'm not in it or sure how active they are. In addition, our cat lecturer is really amazing (Danielle Gunn Moore) and at the top of her field in feline medicine so you would love her and could do your SRC project with her.

• Love
Yup! Also if anyone is on long-term medications you'll have to check if you can even get them here and if you need to see a doctor first before they're prescribed, for example for some ADHD/ADD/ depression or anxiety meds. I would for sure get extra if possible before you come over. I think you can tell your insurance you're on "vacation" and they'll re-fill ahead of time or if you explain that you're going to be an international student overseas they may be able to help, since there is a limit on vacation refills, I'm sure it varies by company.

Did you feel prepared (documentation, clothes, supplies, etc.) before moving? and how long before the start of the year did you get there

I flew in two weeks before classes started but we also had a 2-week mandatory quarantine then. I think 2 weeks is plenty of time to adjust to the time change and explore the city. These days I just fly back the weekend before classes start after breaks but again my time difference isn't too bad.

I felt as prepared as I could be but I also packed a lot more than I needed probably ( a lot was food). Documentation wise there was a lot of covid stuff and just my VISA on my passport, then you get your BRP card after you arrive. I think you have to get the VISA stamped at customs ( a lot of classmates never got one so it's probably not that important) but after that, I just use the e-gates at Heathrow due to ease since my VISA is linked to my passport. Due to COVID it was hard to get a VISA and BRP appointment but we got it done and also my passport was delivered to the wrong house (not even in our zip code) when it was returned....... but we eventually hunted it down and got it.

All of my minor issues and inconveniences were all COVID related in some way or another

So, overwhelmingly the advice I've heard regarding housing is that it's much simpler/easier/overall better for first year GEP students to live in the school housing for the first year (removes pressure of finding housing, issues with needing a bank account over there to rent a flat (which you can't get until you have an address, so you're stuck in a bit of a loop), landlord issues, etc)... now, I'm not disregarding that advice, but does anyone on here know how well first year GEP students have made it work for finding housing? Are there any housing groups among vet students that might still have openings left by graduating flatmates? Has anyone gone the route of private accommodation in first year and regretted it? A few weeks ago I'd looked into all the undergrad self-catered dorm options (not realizing we wouldn't be able to apply to the full range) and I was kind of bummed with the options we do have - only one of the three was one I'd been interested in and another of the three I'd do almost anything to avoid (lol), so now I'm getting paranoid about being put in there haha. Just trying to get a sense of how manageable it would be if we did aim for private housing instead.

So, overwhelmingly the advice I've heard regarding housing is that it's much simpler/easier/overall better for first year GEP students to live in the school housing for the first year (removes pressure of finding housing, issues with needing a bank account over there to rent a flat (which you can't get until you have an address, so you're stuck in a bit of a loop), landlord issues, etc)... now, I'm not disregarding that advice, but does anyone on here know how well first year GEP students have made it work for finding housing? Are there any housing groups among vet students that might still have openings left by graduating flatmates? Has anyone gone the route of private accommodation in first year and regretted it? A few weeks ago I'd looked into all the undergrad self-catered dorm options (not realizing we wouldn't be able to apply to the full range) and I was kind of bummed with the options we do have - only one of the three was one I'd been interested in and another of the three I'd do almost anything to avoid (lol), so now I'm getting paranoid about being put in there haha. Just trying to get a sense of how manageable it would be if we did aim for private housing instead.
seconding this if anyone has answers! i'm interested in finding housing in a place left by someone graduating just because i'm a little nervous about school housing - but i can't find any facebook groups!

There's a group on FB called the R(D)SVS Housing Exchange I would look into!