RVC/Dublin/Glasgow/Edinburgh/Bristol c/o 2028 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else here not heard from Bristol? Starting to think something went wrong w my app bc they don’t respond to my emails asking about it as well 😕
Not just you, they’re really late this cycle. I got told 1/25/24 that my application had been reviewed and was on hold. Nothing since.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Denied from Edinburgh this morning, good luck to the rest of you waiting!

I was denied from edinburgh but placed on the reserve list. Does anyone know anything about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted as well. So it's not a 100% a denial. You still have a chance of getting accepted if there's a vacancies, but you'll have to wait until after April

I did not complete and I wonder if thats why.
To my knowledge, it wasn’t required. They said this in their 2024 cycle admissions statement about offers which makes it seem the SAQ is the deciding factor :

Attachments

• IMG_1683.jpeg
    IMG_1683.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 55
They didn’t have any checkbox to indicate completion of the MOOC or any other work exp contrary to other years, so I don’t think the MOOC mattered

Has anyone been able to contact bristol? Emailed a week ago about financial aid but still haven't heard back!

I know for other schools they will sometimes tell you your place on the reserve/waitlist. Is this something Edinburgh does? Is it fair to email them and ask? Thanks to everyone who responded to me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a response from Bristol today abt my application and said that my app is “still under consideration” they followed it up with
“We appreciate that this is an anxious wait, and apologise that we cannot be more definite at this time.

We will do everything we can to let you know the decision as soon as we can.”

So for those still waiting I guess they’re still evaluating applications! Just hoping it’s before April so we can make adequate decisions 😵‍💫

I know for other schools they will sometimes tell you your place on the reserve/waitlist. Is this something Edinburgh does? Is it fair to email them and ask? Thanks to everyone who responded to me!
Yes they do do this! I got waitlisted on Thursday. Did they not get back to you yet? I’m their email to me they did state I was on the reserve list

For those of you that applied to Bristol, what do they mean by just requiring an undergraduate degree? Like do they not have any specific prerequisites?

For those of you that applied to Bristol, what do they mean by just requiring an undergraduate degree? Like do they not have any specific prerequisites?
Hi I compiled this when I applied and I have a screenshot from their website that says “Applicants must demonstrate that they have studied at least five of the following subjects: Ecology, Advanced/ Life Sciences, Animal Science, Advanced/ Biological Science, Animal Nutrition, Anatomy, Physiology (Systemic), Cellular Biology, Inorganic Chemistry, Microbiology, Genetics, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry and Biology/Zoology.” And that they compare the degree you earned against these prerequisites to see if you qualify !

Hi I compiled this when I applied and I have a screenshot from their website that says “Applicants must demonstrate that they have studied at least five of the following subjects: Ecology, Advanced/ Life Sciences, Animal Science, Advanced/ Biological Science, Animal Nutrition, Anatomy, Physiology (Systemic), Cellular Biology, Inorganic Chemistry, Microbiology, Genetics, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry and Biology/Zoology.” And that they compare the degree you earned against these prerequisites to see if you qualify !

Oh okay! Thank you so much.

Yes they do do this! I got waitlisted on Thursday. Did they not get back to you yet? I’m their email to me they did state I was on the reserve list
I got my email on thursday as well and they did say I was on the reserve list. Did u email them and ask ur number on the list? Thanks!

I got my email on thursday as well and they did say I was on the reserve list. Did u email them and ask ur number on the list? Thanks!
I did, but they didn't give me any number :cryi: They say that it isn't relevant since it moves a lot.

Has anyone applied to the non VMCAS schools? There are some UK schools that you have to use UCAS for and I had some questions if anyone has!

Has anyone applied to the non VMCAS schools? There are some UK schools that you have to use UCAS for and I had some questions if anyone has!
I haven’t applied through UCAS but Ik some of the unis are not avma accredited so just be wary of that if you want to move back to the US. Also something I recently learned was the some UK countries are changing their visas so that you are no longer able to bring spouses or dependents with you if you are coming as a student from the US. Def something to look at Ik you have a family!!

I did, but they didn't give me any number :cryi: They say that it isn't relevant since it moves a lot.
Oh ok, hopefully that is a good thing for us since they said it moves a lot. I feel the smallest amount of hope 🤞. Thanks for letting me know what they said!

I haven’t applied through UCAS but Ik some of the unis are not avma accredited so just be wary of that if you want to move back to the US. Also something I recently learned was the some UK countries are changing their visas so that you are no longer able to bring spouses or dependents with you if you are coming as a student from the US. Def something to look at Ik you have a family!!
My husband did know about that even before my rejection, our plan from the beginning was for me to go to school by myself so we have a home in case crap hits the fan.

I also don't plan on returning to the US, I want to be able to practice in the UK

Has anyone done a detailed breakdown of what the cost of vet med is or will be at Dublin, Glasgow and/or Edinburgh? Hoping there are some other applicants or past/current vet med students that can give input. VMCAS has dated information and no detail for Glasgow from what I can see. I'd like to compare with what I have calculated just to be sure I haven't missed anything. Thanks!! :D

Has anyone done a detailed breakdown of what the cost of vet med is or will be at Dublin, Glasgow and/or Edinburgh? Hoping there are some other applicants or past/current vet med students that can give input. VMCAS has dated information and no detail for Glasgow from what I can see. I'd like to compare with what I have calculated just to be sure I haven't missed anything. Thanks!!
Quick Google search showed this Costs of Studying Veterinary Medicine – The Medic Portal

Thank you for the link. I took a look at the site, however it doesn't seem to show anything other than tuition for those schools. I'm hoping for expected Cost of Living expenses for a vet student in Dublin, Glasgow and Edinburgh.
Look up VIN cost of education. It includes every school and will rank them. I’m not sure just how up to date the data is though

Thank you for the link. I took a look at the site, however it doesn't seem to show anything other than tuition for those schools. I'm hoping for expected Cost of Living expenses for a vet student in Dublin, Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Does anyone who has gone to RVC/going know if they use the time of acceptance to dictate who gets preference over preferred accommodation?

If not, how do they decide who gets what accommodation?

Does anyone who has gone to RVC/going know if they use the time of acceptance to dictate who gets preference over preferred accommodation?

If not, how do they decide who gets what accommodation?
during my tour they told me they sent out information on accommodation late spring/early summer and you rank your choices, then preference is given based on distance from the school (the further you live from rvc, the more likely you are to get the accommodation you selected)

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all! I received an email from RVC back in the beginning of February for a "request for further information," and they wanted confirmation that I was graduating this semester. I sent the proof, they said they added it to my file, but I haven't heard anything since. Has anyone else received an email like this? If so, how long did it take for you to hear back after? I know that no news = good news, but the anxiety is getting to me lol (I didn't want to email and be annoying since there is technically another 2 weeks of March).

Hey all! I received an email from RVC back in the beginning of February for a "request for further information," and they wanted confirmation that I was graduating this semester. I sent the proof, they said they added it to my file, but I haven't heard anything since. Has anyone else received an email like this? If so, how long did it take for you to hear back after? I know that no news = good news, but the anxiety is getting to me lol (I didn't want to email and be annoying since there is technically another 2 weeks of March).

OK NVM I GOT IN!!!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I recently received my offer to RVC and saw it is conditional. I was wondering if anyone knows how lenient they are/ what happens if I did not meet a grade requirement they set in the offer?

Kind of frustrated. I emailed Bristol 02.28.2024 about how I can improve my application (i.e. feedback from the admissions team). They finally got back to me, but it wasn't very helpful IMO. This is what I got:
Dear Ashlynn,

Thank you for your email.

We have seen a substantial increase in applications and the level of competition for places has been very high this year.

We carefully consider all applications in accordance with our Admissions Principles and Procedures but, regrettably, have to disappoint many highly qualified and well-motivated applicants.

Applicants who have received an unsuccessful decision are advised to read their feedback carefully in conjunction with the Admissions Statement, as in many cases this will further explain why an application has been unsuccessful.

If, however, an applicant believes that our admissions process has not been followed correctly, then they can proceed to follow our Applicants Complaints and Appeals Policy.

I hope this helps but do let me know if you have any further questions.

Very best wishes,

Robyn

Undergraduate Selection Assistant
University of Bristol Admissions Office
31 Great George Street
Bristol, BS1 5QD

I recently received my offer to RVC and saw it is conditional. I was wondering if anyone knows how lenient they are/ what happens if I did not meet a grade requirement they set in the offer?
I was admitted despite failing to meet my condition of completing 70h of animal handling experience but it was COVID and people still weren't supposed to be mixing so that may not be representative.

just accepted my offer to rvc!! so excited :)

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like it was said in this chat a while ago, but didn’t several people here say they weren’t going to accept their spot at RVC? Did they give a deadline to accept/decline your offer? I’m trying to figure out when I should start hoping to hear about the waitlist (they said after June 10 it’s a definite no, but trying to figure out the early end of the waitlist “window”).

I feel like it was said in this chat a while ago, but didn’t several people here say they weren’t going to accept their spot at RVC? Did they give a deadline to accept/decline your offer? I’m trying to figure out when I should start hoping to hear about the waitlist (they said after June 10 it’s a definite no, but trying to figure out the early end of the waitlist “window”).

We have until April 15th to accept or decline

Hey guys! I know there have been some acceptances sent out in the past month so I just wanted to drop this link again for a gc a bunch of us are in for RVC.

You're invited to my new group 'RVC accepted students!' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe