The NEW KCUMB class of 2011!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is very helpful discussion about books etc... Can you buy most of these books at the school or do we need to find 'em online?

From my experience most med-school's bookstores have all the books for sale that they recommend. However, if you go online you can get a better deal for the same book usually. If you don't mind used books, there are a ton of websites that provide that as well. Downside is that you have to pay for shipping and wait for them to arrive.

Members don't see this ad.

Just another take on Big Robbins. I bought this book before I even started med school as I was told it was the Holy Grail of med school. I just finished 3rd year and have probably read a total of 3 pages from big robbins over my medical career. This is not coming from a slouch either, I did very well in path and on both the COMLEX and USMLE. IMO Big Robbins is too in depth for anyone not going into pathology. What I used was a cocktail of ERF's notes, Rapid Review Pathology, and google. Then before the exam me and 4 other people would meet and pit our path knowledge against eachother.

Here are the books I used for the first two years.
Rapid Review Pathology
Moore Dally anatomy
BRS Anatomy
BRS Embryology
Pocket Guyton Physiology (I would read this instead of going to class. Did very well)
Step Up to Medicine
Netter's Anatomy

Also although it is far off I would suggest you all take the Kaplan prep course offered during 2nd year. Worth every penny IMO. The Biochem and Physiology professors they have will blow you away.

I just received the tuition bill: $36,020.00. Wowie, that's a lot of money. Still no award letter, though. :scared:

The directions say to sign the statement and return it to the FAO by July 15. I don't currently have a way to remit the payment without the award letter. Are we supposed to get the bill before the award? Do I just wait for my award letter to show up before signing and submitting the bill statement? I might call them up on Monday to check in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received the tuition bill: $36,020.00. Wowie, that's a lot of money. Still no award letter, though. :scared:

The directions say to sign the statement and return it to the FAO by July 15. I don't currently have a way to remit the payment without the award letter. Are we supposed to get the bill before the award? Do I just wait for my award letter to show up before signing and submitting the bill statement? I might call them up on Monday to check in.

Hi Spice. You should definitely call. My award letter came last Wednesday (the 20th) and I'm certain I mailed my original FA paperwork way after you did. Someone mentioned they were sending award letters in order of FA packet info received, so I would think you should have it by now.

Hi Spice. You should definitely call. My award letter came last Wednesday (the 20th) and I'm certain I mailed my original FA paperwork way after you did. Someone mentioned they were sending award letters in order of FA packet info received, so I would think you should have it by now.

Thanks, Talula! I just called them and much to my relief, they told me that my award letter is about ready and will be sent out shortly. In terms of the bill, apparently I just need to sign it and return it to the finance department.

:thumbup:

This is very helpful discussion about books etc... Can you buy most of these books at the school or do we need to find 'em online?

Every book is available in the school bookstore. And I do mean every book (they have every BRS, Rapid Review, High Yield... etc etc... heheh, I take credit for them adding the Atlas of Pathology cuz I gave them the IBSN number). And the books are all either the same price, or slightly cheaper than amazon.com (when you include shipping).

The bookstore also sells scrubs and stuff.

I'll let you in on a surprisingly little known secret. The school library carries most of the books as well (including many of the brand new board review books). So you can test-drive those guys for a couple of weeks and then later decide whether or not you want to buy them later. I friggin LOVE our school library (haha, I'm such a dork). They have eeeeeverything. :p

***********in response to raidermedic...
Well, I guess deciding between Big Robbins or not is up to each person. Certainly, there are plenty of people in the forums that never touched it and did very well on boards. All I know is, I used it a lot and wish I had used it much more.

I don't recommend skipping lecture (particularly Physiology, Dr. Karius is awesome!), just because professors drop pearls for exam questions all the time.

I took the Kaplan course, and also liked it. But it depends largely upon which instructor you have brought over. The physiology guy was ok this year, Raymond taught Biochem (and he was amazing). The micro and pharm instructors were terrible. OMT instructor was really bad.

Thanks, Talula! I just called them and much to my relief, they told me that my award letter is about ready and will be sent out shortly. In terms of the bill, apparently I just need to sign it and return it to the finance department.

:thumbup:

I was about to mention that as well. I went through the same thing as you. I still have yet to receive my award letter as well. I think I know what it will say, that I have enough loans to cover tuition+ living. :cool: Anyone else waiting for blackboard access?

Originally Posted by HarveyCushing
Anyone else waiting for blackboard access?

I am not able to access it either. I called the IT dept. and they stated they did not receive my consent form. I found that odd as I mailed it with several other forms including the medical equipment form and they have withdrawn the nearly 700 dollars from account already (yes, I’m a bit bitter that they couldn’t wait and add it to tuition so that the loans would cover it without me have to sell an arm and both legs so I have enough money to move and live until school starts and the loans kick in). Anyways, they told me it was no big deal, all I had to do was to fax the form over and they would take of it. So, hopefully I will have access soon.

Brent

More about the bookstore...The new lady in charge is very good at accommodating the students. If there were certain snacks/drinks that you feel they would sell lots of, she will give it a try. Same goes for books and apparel. She is awesomely helpful!!!

Anyone else waiting for blackboard access?

I'm still waiting for mine. :confused:

I am not able to access it either. I called the IT dept. and they stated they did not receive my consent form. I found that odd as I mailed it with several other forms including the medical equipment form and they have withdrawn the nearly 700 dollars from account already (yes, I'm a bit bitter that they couldn't wait and add it to tuition so that the loans would cover it without me have to sell an arm and both legs so I have enough money to move and live until school starts and the loans kick in). Anyways, they told me it was no big deal, all I had to do was to fax the form over and they would take of it. So, hopefully I will have access soon.

Brent

Hmm... I wonder what happened. I definitely mailed mine with the other forms as well. In fact, I mailed it USPS Priority with tracking, so I'm sure that the school received it. I'm going to call the IT department on Monday to find out what happened. It's likely my scenario is similar to yours.

I just wanted to drop a quick note to thank all the current and past KCUMB students for chiming on various subjects. Thanks for being willing to help out and for being available to answer our questions. I'm learning a lot from your posts. :thumbup:

I am not able to access it either. I called the IT dept. and they stated they did not receive my consent form. I found that odd as I mailed it with several other forms including the medical equipment form and they have withdrawn the nearly 700 dollars from account already (yes, I’m a bit bitter that they couldn’t wait and add it to tuition so that the loans would cover it without me have to sell an arm and both legs so I have enough money to move and live until school starts and the loans kick in). Anyways, they told me it was no big deal, all I had to do was to fax the form over and they would take of it. So, hopefully I will have access soon.

Brent

Hmmm interesting. I also sent in my consesnt for awhile back and the $700 for equipment has already been charged to my CC. Maybe the paper work has been lost? Strange since all of my other forms have gotten into the right hands.

I took the Kaplan course, and also liked it. But it depends largely upon which instructor you have brought over. The physiology guy was ok this year, Raymond taught Biochem (and he was amazing). The micro and pharm instructors were terrible. OMT instructor was really bad.

Did Kudrath teach physiology this year? We had him last year and he was amazing if they lost him that would be a huge blow to the prep course. We had Raymond for biochem as well, he was great. Can't remember who taught micro for us but she was decent. Pharm was ok but went down hill quickly after the first two days. OMT was horrid for us as well. I went for an hour then left.

I don't recommend skipping lecture (particularly Physiology, Dr. Karius is awesome!), just because professors drop pearls for exam questions all the time.

Whatever works for the person I guess. If I can read the notes in half the time and still get the questions right I'm not really missing that much by not being there to pick up the pearls. Again I think it's up to the person.

Back to the books
One book I forgot too mention and I found very useful was "How to Excel in Medical School." Gives you detailed step by step instructions on how to study each subject. Also tells you what you need to know for each subject. Is worth a quick read before class starts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm interesting. I also sent in my consesnt for awhile back and the $700 for equipment has already been charged to my CC. Maybe the paper work has been lost? Strange since all of my other forms have gotten into the right hands.

Did you send them in together? I sent each thing separate with "Attn: Exercise Facilities" or whatever. Maybe if you bundled them, some of the letters got misplaced?

Did you send them in together? I sent each thing separate with "Attn: Exercise Facilities" or whatever. Maybe if you bundled them, some of the letters got misplaced?

That's very thoughtful of you. I simply sent all of the returnables together in a USPS fixed-rate priority mail envelope. I hope nothing important was misplaced. Next time, I'll consider sending everything separately, as you outlined.

Did Kudrath teach physiology this year? We had him last year and he was amazing if they lost him that would be a huge blow to the prep course. We had Raymond for biochem as well, he was great. Can't remember who taught micro for us but she was decent. Pharm was ok but went down hill quickly after the first two days. OMT was horrid for us as well. I went for an hour then left.

Actually, Kudrath did teach us physio. I mean, he was good and all... but I didn't feel I learned that much (was already pretty comfortable with physio so I dunno). It looks like we had the same instructors. Moscatello (from LECOM?) was the micro instructor and pharm was taught by Harris (from the kentucky school). I can't remember the OMT guy, but eh... was a waste of a day.

I could get in trouble for mentioning this... but integrative section didn't include any outside professors (so we didn't have Simmons and we didn't have Padzernik come in like you guys) and that just SUCKED. :mad: Granted, most of the integrative lectures were still ok... but us '09-ers were really looking forward to having those two teach us. :(

Actually, Kudrath did teach us physio. I mean, he was good and all... but I didn't feel I learned that much (was already pretty comfortable with physio so I dunno). It looks like we had the same instructors. Moscatello (from LECOM?) was the micro instructor and pharm was taught by Harris (from the kentucky school). I can't remember the OMT guy, but eh... was a waste of a day.

I could get in trouble for mentioning this... but integrative section didn't include any outside professors (so we didn't have Simmons and we didn't have Padzernik come in like you guys) and that just SUCKED. :mad: Granted, most of the integrative lectures were still ok... but us '09-ers were really looking forward to having those two teach us. :(

So does KCUMB pay for guest lecturers to come in and review for step 1 in the spring of MSII? Or is that something that we have to pay extra to get?

Are you kidding me? No Simmons? That was the best part of integrative. Anyway we should probably save the ranting for another thread and not hijack the 2011ers thread :laugh: Plus like you said we don't want to say too much and get in trouble.

I logged on to blackboard and it works fine.......I am SOOOO tempted to buy all the books. I'm so excited.

So does KCUMB pay for guest lecturers to come in and review for step 1 in the spring of MSII? Or is that something that we have to pay extra to get?

You will have an integrative section at the end of 2nd year that is suppose to serve as board review. Kaplan is a prep course that is not affiliated with the school but is held on Campus.

I logged on to blackboard and it works fine.......I am SOOOO tempted to buy all the books. I'm so excited.

Lucky you. Hopefully I will get this squared away next week.

This is probably a dumb question but, as MSI do we have school on Friday the 10th of Aug. All the stuff just talks about things monday through thursday.

Nothing on Friday but a nice hangover to heal :)

My blackboard account still isn't up and running. Anything new posted on the site that is worth knowing about for those of us who don't have access yet?

updated textbook list:

Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences – College of Osteopathic Medicine
Required Textbooks for the 2007-2008 Academic Year
MSI

Anatomy
FOR A TEXTBOOK YOU ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE
· K. L. Moore, A. F. Dalley, Clinically Oriented Anatomy, 5th Ed., Williams & Wilkins, 2006
FOR A LABORATORY DISSECTOR YOU ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE
· P. Tank. Grant's Dissector, 13th Ed. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2005
FOR AN ATLAS YOU ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE
· F. H. Netter, A. F. Dalley, Consulting Ed., Atlas of Human Anatomy, 4thEd., Novartis, 2006

Biochemistry
· Smith, Marks and Lieberman, Marks' Basic Medical Biochemistry, 2nd Ed., Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2004

BLS
· AHA, BLS for Healthcare Providers, 2001

Curriculum Schemes
· Greene II, Johnson & Lemcke, Decision Making in Medicine: An Algorithmic Approach, 2nd Ed., Mosby, 1998

Embryology
· T. W. Sadler, Langman's Medical Embryology, 10th Ed., Lippincott, Williams, & Wilkins, 2006

Histology
· Kierzenbaum, Histology and cell Biology: An Introduction to Pathology, 2nd Ed., Mosby Elsevier, 2007
· EITHER:
o Kerr, Atlas of Functional Histology, 1st Ed., Mosby, 1999 OR
o Eroschenko, Histology CDR, 10th Ed., AGC Educational Media (CD), 2005 OR
o Gartner, Color Atlas of Histology, 3rd Ed., Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2000

Immunology
· Abbas and Lichtman Basic Immunology: Functions and Disorders of the Immune System, W.B. Saunders, 2ND Ed, W.B. Saunders, 2006

Integrative Osteopathic Clinical Skills
· Ward, Foundations for Osteopathic Medicine, 2nd Ed., Williams & Wilkins, 2003
· Seidel, Mosby’s Guide to Physical Examination, 6th Ed., Mosby, 2006
· DiGiovanna, An Osteopathic Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment, 3rd Ed., Lippincott, 2005
· Coulehan, The Medical Interview: Mastering Skills for Clinical Practice, 5th Ed., F.A. Davis, 2006
· Hoppenfeld, Physical Examination of the Spine and Extremities, 1976

Internal Medicine
· Fauci, Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine, 16th Ed., McGraw-Hill, 2005
(Available online)
· AND EITHER:
o Goldberger, Clinical Electrocardiography, 7th Ed., Mosby, 2006 OR
o Dubin, Rapid Interpretation of EKG’s: An Interactive Course, 6th Ed., Cover Pub. Co., 2001

Microbiology
· Jawetz, Melnick & Adelberg's Medical Microbiology, 24th Ed., Lange Medical Books, 2004 (Available online)

Pathology
· Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease, Kumar Abbas and Fausto, 7th edition, Saunders, Elsevier, 2005.
· RECOMMENDED
o Pocket Companion to Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease, 7th Ed., Saunders, Elsevier, 2006 AND
o Curran’s Atlas of Histopathology, Oxford University Press, 2000

Pediatrics
Behrman, Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 18th Ed., W. B. Saunders, 2007
(Available online)

Pharmacology
· EITHER:
Katzung, Basic and Clinical Pharmacology, 10th Ed., Appleton Lange, 2007
(available online) OR
Golan, Principles of Pharmacology, 1st Ed., Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2005

Physiology
· Guyton, Textbook of Medical Physiology, 11th Ed., W. B. Saunders, 2006

Preventive Medicine
· Jekel, Epidemiology, Biostatistics & Preventive Medicine, 3rd Ed., W. B. Saunders, 2007

Surgery
· Lawrence, Essentials of General Surgery, 4th Ed., Williams & Wilkins, 2006

My blackboard account still isn't up and running. Anything new posted on the site that is worth knowing about for those of us who don't have access yet?

Try e-mailing this guy: [email protected] He set up my account--I had some problems at first b/c of a similar user name. Maybe he can help you out.

I went to a bookstore and flipped through First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 and ERF's website was definitely in the back under internet review resources. :thumbup:

Harris is teaching there now? He did our Kaplan Pharm, and I thought he was AWESOME! I'm at a loss to understand how he couldn't do a good job, cause he was great for Kaplan.

A few of you have mentioned clothing at the bookstore. DON'T buy scrubs or other medical apparral there! You will waste your money. It is EXTREMELY overpriced. Granted, they have pretty nice stuff, but it is way overpriced. Buy at Allheart.com. I bought all my scrubs there and it was well worth the money.

A few of you have mentioned clothing at the bookstore. DON'T buy scrubs or other medical apparral there! You will waste your money. It is EXTREMELY overpriced. Granted, they have pretty nice stuff, but it is way overpriced. Buy at Allheart.com. I bought all my scrubs there and it was well worth the money.

these?

http://allheart.com/ah1set.html

I just received my award letter and promissary note yesterday. I was definitely happy to see them. :) Anyway, just a few items left before everything is squared away.

I have a question for those of you who have already returned the award letter and promissary note (if you went with KCUMB as your provider). Since there was no return envelope provided (didn't see one anyway), did you just send it to the usual address on all their official envelopes? Should there be an attention line, like attention: financial aid office? I know I'm being a bit paranoid, but I want to make sure these materials make it to the right place! Thanks.

So I know scubs but what about shoes? Crocs, clogs, running shoes ok?

So I know scubs but what about shoes? Crocs, clogs, running shoes ok?

Just make sure they are closed-toe shoes. That's all that matters. I wear running shoes every day.

Just make sure they are closed-toe shoes. That's all that matters. I wear running shoes every day.

I have seen several attendings and many more residents were the Crocs with open holes on the top. Even scrub nurses swear by them. Is that really an issue?

I just received my award letter and promissary note yesterday. I was definitely happy to see them. :) Anyway, just a few items left before everything is squared away.

I have a question for those of you who have already returned the award letter and promissary note (if you went with KCUMB as your provider). Since there was no return envelope provided (didn't see one anyway), did you just send it to the usual address on all their official envelopes? Should there be an attention line, like attention: financial aid office? I know I'm being a bit paranoid, but I want to make sure these materials make it to the right place! Thanks.

Yep, I addressed the envelope:

Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
Office of Financial Aid
1750 Independence Ave
KC, MO 64116 (I believe that is the zip anyway)

I was a little paranoid about that too! :D

I have seen several attendings and many more residents were the Crocs with open holes on the top. Even scrub nurses swear by them. Is that really an issue?

For anatomy lab it would be (against OSHA). After the first few weeks-months, they don't pay as much attention to the holes in the crocs. I just wouldn't want to get the yucky juices spilling on me. Musculoskeletal is the worst about that, then not as messy at all.

Also about scrubs, I bought mine from an outgoing 2nd year (they try to get rid of their masses of scrubs because they don't need as many during rotations). That way they are already broken in and washed several times, etc. I got probably 10 sets of scrubs for $45, and he threw in some books he couldn't sell. Maybe I'm the bargain shopper and can land it, but if you can contact anyone, I would. They may end up emailing out a mass email for them (if you already haven't received any emails yet).

Congrats and hello again! I am a soon-to-be MSII also doing the MBA track. If anyone has any questions, please ask away! See you in a month or so!! :) Enjoy your summer!! :)

Yep, I addressed the envelope:

Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
Office of Financial Aid
1750 Independence Ave
KC, MO 64116 (I believe that is the zip anyway)

I was a little paranoid about that too! :D

The KCUMB zip code is 64106. And I addressed the PMN to the same address with "ATTN: Office of Financial Aid".

For anatomy lab it would be (against OSHA). After the first few weeks-months, they don't pay as much attention to the holes in the crocs. I just wouldn't want to get the yucky juices spilling on me. Musculoskeletal is the worst about that, then not as messy at all.

Don't shoe covers help with that? The residents I hung out with said they never had problems with blood/bodily fluids with their crocs.

Let's hope this isn't indicative of the type of doctor I'll be...buuut, I seemed to have misplaced my matriculation packet, and I know there was a tenative MS1 schedule in there...could someone be kind enough to tell me when winter break will be? Thaaaanks.

--pat

Let's hope this isn't indicative of the type of doctor I'll be...buuut, I seemed to have misplaced my matriculation packet, and I know there was a tenative MS1 schedule in there...could someone be kind enough to tell me when winter break will be? Thaaaanks.

--pat

Just by memory, it's Dec 18 - Jan 2. Classes begin on Jan 3, IIRC.

I hope your wrong cause I have a wedding that I will be in the weekend of the 15th/16th. :scared:

the 14th is our last test day and our break is from Dec 15th-Jan 3rd. Theresa in admissions emailed me :D