The NEW KCUMB class of 2011!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Never mind I found it. Thanks!! It looks great. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Since it is recommended to dress professional for the first day of orientation, what is everyone going to wear? I think that I will wear a suit the first day, but I was wondering if anyone else is doing the same.

Since it is recommended to dress professional for the first day of orientation, what is everyone going to wear? I think that I will wear a suit the first day, but I was wondering if anyone else is doing the same.

I think a suit is probably overkill. I'm going to wear a decent dress shirt with dress pants; maybe I'll wear a tie. It's probably going to be hot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think a suit is probably overkill. I'm going to wear a decent dress shirt with dress pants; maybe I'll wear a tie. It's probably going to be hot.

I say drop the suit jacket as well. Just wear the dress pants, a nice dress shirt and tie. You will probably want to wear a tie for the ID picture?

Ok thanks guys! I didn't know if professional dress meant a suit or not. Yeah, I guess a suit would be overkill since it will be so hot. Since I am a girl I guess I will just wear a nice button down shirt and a nice pair of pants, but no tie! Haha!

Yeah, you don't want to wear anything extremely hot on that day. They have you kind of running around the campus if I remember correctly, and we took our ID pictures that day. The people that wore really hot things weren't liking it towards the end of the day. The trick is to wear something professional yet comfortable. Good luck and congrats again on all of your acceptances :).

I don't know - many times dressing professionally means wearing a suit. Maybe a current student can recommend what to wear?

Yeah, you don't want to wear anything extremely hot on that day. They have you kind of running around the campus if I remember correctly, and we took our ID pictures that day. The people that wore really hot things weren't liking it towards the end of the day. The trick is to wear something professional yet comfortable. Good luck and congrats again on all of your acceptances :).

So they don't mind if you're not in a suit then?

So they don't mind if you're not in a suit then?

I think a dress shirt, dress pants and a tie would qualify as professional. That is what most docs wear to their clinic.

Correct, you don't have to wear a suit :). I didn't see too many people that wore a suit that day. I knew one person that wore a suit, had his laptop, sitting in the front row by 6:00am, and he was labeled a gunner for the rest of the year. So, you don't want to look too anxious I guess. For a guy, I would just wear a pair of nice pants and a nice shirt. I wouldn't wear a t-shirt of course. Then of course, no tennis shoes or things like that. The dress code even says no open toed shoes for girls, but many girls don't seem to follow that rule either. They just don't want you coming in there with shorts and a regular t-shirt or something. They want you to see yourself as a professional, so wear something that you would wear to work. Also, don't wear scrubs during orientation or anything. I hope that helps! Good luck!

Correct, you don't have to wear a suit :). I didn't see too many people that wore a suit that day. I knew one person that wore a suit, had his laptop, sitting in the front row by 6:00am, and he was labeled a gunner for the rest of the year. So, you don't want to look too anxious I guess. For a guy, I would just wear a pair of nice pants and a nice shirt. I wouldn't wear a t-shirt of course. Then of course, no tennis shoes or things like that. The dress code even says no open toed shoes for girls, but many girls don't seem to follow that rule either. They just don't want you coming in there with shorts and a regular t-shirt or something. They want you to see yourself as a professional, so wear something that you would wear to work. Also, don't wear scrubs during orientation or anything. I hope that helps! Good luck!

So first week of lecture we can start wearing scrubs to class?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it's technically in the dress code, so you are allowed. The majority of the people wait until the second week. Pretty much whenever you have an important vistor, they just assume you know you are supposed to dress up. Just kind of play it by ear. Our class got in a little bit of trouble because they didn't like us wearing scrubs the first week; however, last years class didn't get 'talked' to. I think it just depends on whoever is helping your class that year, honestly. But when you are wearing your scrubs, wear both the top and bottoms for at least a little while. You'll start getting a feel for your class and everything, and then you'll know what will fly and what won't.

I think a dress shirt, dress pants and a tie would qualify as professional. That is what most docs wear to their clinic.

Yeah I know it's tricky sometimes with what "business" attire means and "professional" attire means, etc. Like with med school interviews, attire is professional which means a suit for most.

Well, it's technically in the dress code, so you are allowed. The majority of the people wait until the second week. Pretty much whenever you have an important vistor, they just assume you know you are supposed to dress up. Just kind of play it by ear. Our class got in a little bit of trouble because they didn't like us wearing scrubs the first week; however, last years class didn't get 'talked' to. I think it just depends on whoever is helping your class that year, honestly. But when you are wearing your scrubs, wear both the top and bottoms for at least a little while. You'll start getting a feel for your class and everything, and then you'll know what will fly and what won't.

So what is recommended for first week, polo shirt for men? I think I read it somewhere but I don't remember.

Yeah it is very tricky especially with what guys should wear. I'm a girl, and unfortunately (for guys), I guess we can get by with a lot more outfits then guys. They really won't be too strict the first day anyway and honestly, I don't think anyone has gotten marked down for their attire because most people are pretty reasonable. They aren't going to mark you down for ie. not wearing a tie or wearing open toed shoes. If you are doing something wrong, they will inform you first. The most important thing is that it looks professional and it isn't something you are going to die in if you are outside. Of course, the classrooms are usually freezing, so you should be fine while sitting in there :).

So what is recommended for first week, polo shirt for men? I think I read it somewhere but I don't remember.

You can wear a polo shirt. That's always professional as long as you have a nice pair of pants. You can wear that on the first day of orientation too. You just don't want to wear a shirt with graphics or logos all over it. Some guys wear button down, short-sleeved shirts as well. Polo shirts are probably the most comfortable though. :). I hope this is giving you some idea on how to dress :).

You can wear a polo shirt. That's always professional as long as you have a nice pair of pants. You can wear that on the first day of orientation too. You just don't want to wear a shirt with graphics or logos all over it. Some guys wear button down, short-sleeved shirts as well. Polo shirts are probably the most comfortable though. :). I hope this is giving you some idea on how to dress :).

Yes it is thank you. :)

Do people ever just wear the scrub top and say, khaki bottoms?

Heh, you guys know the first time you wear brand new pants in the hospital, clinic or wherever, you'll definitely spill some sort of bodily fluid on them. :)

pappy846: Do people ever just wear the scrub top and say, khaki bottoms?

I haven't actually seen anyone with that combo. As school goes on, people will wear a t-shirt with scrub bottoms, but I don't think different pants. You just don't really want to start that at first because there will be a lot of important people that come talk to your class, and they like your class to look professional. That's why I was kind of saying play it by ear. From what I have learned, if anyone turns anyone in for dress code, it would be the 'important' people that come to your class for the first couple of weeks. But, I haven't seen it happen because most people wear things that are acceptable w/o it being scrubs. Like khaki and a nice shirt is good enough. Hope that helps a little.

I don't know if it's changed since I started, but on our first day EVERYBODY wore suits. The rest of the week it was casual professional. I would contact someone at school to see if it's ok to wear less. By the second day, people were wearing less professional attire (khakis and polos, etc.). DO NOT WEAR SCRUBS ON YOUR FIRST DAY! We had one guy who did this and he felt pretty silly!

I don't know if it's changed since I started, but on our first day EVERYBODY wore suits. The rest of the week it was casual professional. I would contact someone at school to see if it's ok to wear less. By the second day, people were wearing less professional attire (khakis and polos, etc.).

Hmm... Interesting. Thanks for the info. I'll plan on dressing up then, unless we are permitted to be a bit more casual. I guess I can always take off my suit jacket when it gets too hot.

I don't know if it's changed since I started, but on our first day EVERYBODY wore suits. The rest of the week it was casual professional. I would contact someone at school to see if it's ok to wear less. By the second day, people were wearing less professional attire (khakis and polos, etc.). DO NOT WEAR SCRUBS ON YOUR FIRST DAY! We had one guy who did this and he felt pretty silly!

How does this look?

Monday: Dressup
Tuesday: Dressup/more casual with polo?
Wednesday: Don't dress up since it is community service day+ Royals game
Thursday: Casual and then dress up for WCC.

How does this look?

Monday: Dressup
Tuesday: Dressup/more casual with polo?
Wednesday: Don't dress up since it is community service day+ Royals game
Thursday: Casual and then dress up for WCC.

That's pretty much what I did, I'd check with the school if you want to do less. It looks like some of the more recent matriculants dressed down a little. Mine was four years ago. WCC is definitely professional dress.

Yeah, you may want to call the school and ask how professional they want you. Surely someone would give you a straight answer on it. Our class definitely didn't wear suits - except one guy. So apparently, things have changed, at least for our class. Of course, it was almost 100 degrees outside so that might have had something to do with it. I remember that I just wore a nice pair of dress pants and a nice shirt, and I was still dying when we took pictures. Lots of girls wore summer dresses or skirts. I think it is a bit tougher for guys to figure out what to wear because most guys wear suits. Maybe you can wear a short sleeved button up shirt and take your coat if it is going to be hot. Hard to tell in KC, but it is usually steamy in August. Anyway, they seem to becoming less strict as the years go by from what I have noticed. The year above us they were much more strict with concerning the dress code, then they told us they didn't want us wearing scrubs unless we were having OMT during FOM, but then the class below us starting wearing scrubs after the first week and they were fine. I wouldn't start wearing scrubs until at least the 3rd week since you will have visitors in and out talking to your class, but again, that's just my opinion. You'll get a feel for things once you have been in school for a few days. Good luck!

I want to wish everyone safe travels in the next couple of weeks as we head out to KC. Be safe on the road and enjoy the trip as much as possible.

I have to be at the review course on July 30th, but can't move in to CT until August. :thumbdown:

I have to be at the review course on July 30th, but can't move in to CT until August. :thumbdown:

:thumbdown: Sorry to hear that. Yeah it is a bumb deal that CT gives us with their move in date.

You can always call and see if the person in your apt may be moving out early. Many will be so you may have a chance.

You can always call and see if the person in your apt may be moving out early. Many will be so you may have a chance.

I've called five times. They told me that there was no need for me to call so often, and assured me that they would contact me once they heard from the current renters. This was a week ago. I first contacted them three weeks ago. Slow communication I guess.

Do we have to follow the regular dress code for the SLEP, or can we wear casual clothes?

I think we should start a new thread just to discuss what every one will wear during orientation. We'll call it 'polo shirts 2011.'

So I just booked a hotel to stay overnight on my long journey back to KC. First day will be from Salt Lake City UT to Kearney NE. Then the next day will be from Kearney NE to Kansas City! That sounds like a lot of fun especially for my one year old!

how did you all get pictures on your profile?

Do you have to be a super member?

how did you all get pictures on your profile?

Do you have to be a super member?

Nope, no super member. Go to the top of the page and in the blue box going across the page in the left corner is an option "Member CP". Click on that and go to "Edit avatar". That should be it.

I was accepted for the class of 2011, but am going to defer until next year to have extra time to get my family moved to Kansas City. I am looking for someone to look after my kids while I work this school year in Kansas City. If anyone has found good daycare or has a spouse that is looking to babysit, please contact me. Thanks for any help you can give me.

hi all!
i am going to be a third year at KCUMB and am selling a few of my books. i highly recommend that you buy them used! i tried to add a little info on there as to when you might use these books and some advice. e-mail me at dulcinea27 at hotmail.com (to prevent spam) if you have any questions. also, i'll be checking this site so if you have any KCUMB related questions, i'd be happy to answer!

Thank you!!!

Attachments

• BOOKS FOR SALE.doc
    25.5 KB · Views: 141
Just found this forum and wanted to say hi. See you guys next month. Can't wait to start classes.

Does anyone have any good pictures of KCUMB or CT (cheesy, I know, but I'm just getting excited)

Halarious about the new thread for clothing at orientation!
Someone wrote a few pages ago about a good irish pub here in KC. I would have to say O’Dowds is probably the best and there is one on the plaza and one up north. It is pretty authentic and is usually packed on Friday and Saturday nights. The is also Mickey’s Irish pub with a few locations around KC. As far as Kereoke goes I am not gifted in the vocal department so I have not been to too many but there are a lot around KC. Hope that helps. You mentioned Boston and Irish pubs, I just got back from there and went to a great one called The Black Rose. Right down near Q market, it was great!

My "big sis" goes to Karaoke at a bar called Shooters on North Oak Trafficway. I believe it is a small hole-in-the-wall place, but she loves it. :)

For current students, or anyone who knows... Do many people use a laptop during lectures? If so do you know how helpful they are? Also is there wireless internet available in your rooms at CT?

For current students, or anyone who knows... Do many people use a laptop during lectures? If so do you know how helpful they are? Also is there wireless internet available in your rooms at CT?

There is supposed to be wireless in the library at CT but I haven't been able to connect to it. I was able to pick up some signals, but after a week of being randomly kicked off or not able to connect at all, I had the internet set up in my apartment. I've actually been talking to some people about splitting the bill by selling my password to them. Soo...that's a good way to save money if you need the internet!

There is supposed to be wireless in the library at CT but I haven't been able to connect to it. I was able to pick up some signals, but after a week of being randomly kicked off or not able to connect at all, I had the internet set up in my apartment. I've actually been talking to some people about splitting the bill by selling my password to them. Soo...that's a good way to save money if you need the internet!

do lecture halls have wireless?