KCUMB Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So how much of this pharm is worth remembering and what's a good way of remembering it?

learn all the pharm contained in FA bc that's all you really need to know. disregard the extra stuff that kruse makes you memorize. learn it well now because you'll have to memorize brand names while on rotations

making flashcards really helped me

Members don't see this ad.

So how much of this pharm is worth remembering and what's a good way of remembering it?

For the exams you need to know everything. For boards you need to know what's in FA. On rotations I've probably seen 10-15 of the the 500 drugs you learn throughout the year.

I personally liked Kruse's packets so I would memorize them. Make sure you always attend his CIS. The stuff he goes over in CIS is most likely going to be on the exam.

I made an Anki deck throughout the year of all the drugs in FA.

Reactions: 1 users
For neuro I'd also recommend hammering home the stuff from the autonomics packet. Don't worry about the anesthetic stuff, but the alpha/beta and muscarinic stuff is probably the highest yield drug stuff for boards imo. Diuretics and cardiac drugs will be high-yield too.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the exams you need to know everything. For boards you need to know what's in FA. On rotations I've probably seen 10-15 of the the 500 drugs you learn throughout the year.

I personally liked Kruse's packets so I would memorize them. Make sure you always attend his CIS. The stuff he goes over in CIS is most likely going to be on the exam.

I made an Anki deck throughout the year of all the drugs in FA.

would you be willing to share that deck?

anyone know what a passing score/rate is on these NBME shelf exams?

Log into blackboard and on the left side you will see 2018 clinical section. Go in that section and there is a subsection for shelf scores and what is passing etc.

To add on, here's the school's list from blackboard:

COM 2018 Subject Exam Rubric
Exam Fail Pass Honors
FMED 79 80 120
IMED 53 54 76
OBGY 56 57 80
PEDS 55 56 78
PSYC 61 62 81
SURG 54 55 76

Optional Exams Rubric
Exam Fail Pass Honors
EMED 56 57 75
NEURO 58 59 81

Here's a link that tells you how many items are on each exam and how much time you get (NBME only): http://www.nbme.org/pdf/SubjectExams/SubjectExaminationQuickGuide.pdf

Seems like passing is between 55-60% and honors is around 80%. That's percent for questions correct, not national percentile (otherwise it would be impossible to honor FM since an H requires a score of 120).

thanks for the info guys! Wonder what the percentile conversions are, hopefully everyone passes!

Do you guys have any study guides you'd be willing to share for the first OS test on cranial?

How did you guys find time to study for boards outside of 8 weeks they give you? I feel like I'm drowning in the actual class content and don't have enough time to really do many questions or anything. Does the schedule get more manageable after Renal?

How did you guys find time to study for boards outside of 8 weeks they give you? I feel like I'm drowning in the actual class content and don't have enough time to really do many questions or anything. Does the schedule get more manageable after Renal?
Nope, I just made the sacrifice and let my class grades suffer a bit because I cared about USMLE > COMLEX. Schedule never got better for us IMO.

Nope, I just made the sacrifice and let my class grades suffer a bit because I cared about USMLE > COMLEX. Schedule never got better for us IMO.

Joy.

So you read first aid and did usmlerx?

On a side... how easy are the clinical sections of classes? Like Neuro's clinical section was extremely easy and boosted everyones grade a lot. Will that happen all year generally?

Joy.

So you read first aid and did usmlerx?

On a side... how easy are the clinical sections of classes? Like Neuro's clinical section was extremely easy and boosted everyones grade a lot. Will that happen all year generally?
I used the clinical section to focus more on Step 1 since I thought it was easier. I read FA, watched pathoma then read through goljan and did questions in kaplan Q bank and USMLERx (as many as I could). The goal here was to understand: DDX of the clinical presentation and what are the features that make you lean one way or another, pathophysiology of each disease across all subjects (anatomy, physiology, biochem, molecular bio etc), then diagnostics/treatment/management/prognosis having less focus unless it was in FA or pathoma. Once I stopped spending the absurd amount of time it takes to read Robbins thoroughly, I realized how much free time I had to learn the relevant info. I wrote out more details in previous post on here and feel free to message me if you want to know how well this advice worked for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I used the clinical section to focus more on Step 1 since I thought it was easier. I read FA, watched pathoma then read through goljan and did questions in kaplan Q bank and USMLERx (as many as I could). The goal here was to understand: DDX of the clinical presentation and what are the features that make you lean one way or another, pathophysiology of each disease across all subjects (anatomy, physiology, biochem, molecular bio etc), then diagnostics/treatment/management/prognosis having less focus unless it was in FA or pathoma. Once I stopped spending the absurd amount of time it takes to read Robbins thoroughly, I realized how much free time I had to learn the relevant info. I wrote out more details in previous post on here and feel free to message me if you want to know how well this advice worked for me.

Right, my problem is that I don't know how to split up reading Robbins enough to pass Putthoff versus finding time to study other stuff.

I thought it got a lot more manageable after renal other than 1 or two sections I personally hated, but that's just me. I'd study for your classes and supplement with Qbanks as much as possible. Imo Putthoff did a solid job preparing us for boards and I didn't need much path review overall. The goal is that once you get to that 8 weeks of dedicated time you're mostly just reviewing and not actually relearning much. Another thing that might be more helpful is that while the path tests were usually pretty rough, I thought the "clinical" tests (aka the final) were always a lot easier than the midterms. So ideally if you do well on the midterm you should be able to find time in the second half of most courses to get some extra boards studying in.

Right, my problem is that I don't know how to split up reading Robbins enough to pass Putthoff versus finding time to study other stuff.

I just did qbank questions and pathoma throughout the first semester with my class studies.
I had plenty of time to study for boards second semester. Just get through the front loaded first semester and then start adding in first aid and USMLERx second semester.
You'll be fine.
I did just fine on boards with what I did to prepare. 8 weeks was plenty of time to study to do well.
Breathe.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Nah. This might sound crazy, but maybe watch a few onlinemeded videos during the clinical portion. Just like 1-2 a day.

So any tips for the last part of renal II? It's just a bunch of CISs from karilaz not really sure if you should just focus on those and the dsa?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Right, it seems like she wants us to read a million pages of DSA and I'm kinda exhausted after the Renal 2 Midterm. Like, I don't think I've ever known so many discrete histological findings of an organ in my entire life.

I just did qbank questions and pathoma throughout the first semester with my class studies.
I had plenty of time to study for boards second semester. Just get through the front loaded first semester and then start adding in first aid and USMLERx second semester.
You'll be fine.
I did just fine on boards with what I did to prepare. 8 weeks was plenty of time to study to do well.
Breathe.

I second this ^^. Keep in mind that what you're doing in classes this year is still 'boards studying', because Step 1 is very path-heavy. Learn the path well now and it will be that much easier to review when it comes to dedicated time. Yes Robbins is a pain to read, but you will know more than enough to kill the path sections on boards if you take the time to really learn what's in there. You really don't need to do much boards review during first semester because you're still learning the majority of the material for the first time. Second semester gets slightly easier and you'll find more time to do board review then. Don't tire yourself out too early, just focus on classes for now.

I second this ^^. Keep in mind that what you're doing in classes this year is still 'boards studying', because Step 1 is very path-heavy. Learn the path well now and it will be that much easier to review when it comes to dedicated time. Yes Robbins is a pain to read, but you will know more than enough to kill the path sections on boards if you take the time to really learn what's in there. You really don't need to do much boards review during first semester because you're still learning the majority of the material for the first time. Second semester gets slightly easier and you'll find more time to do board review then. Don't tire yourself out too early, just focus on classes for now.
Not sure about your step 1 but mine was pathophysiology heavy. Very different from class material and not enough to score above average. But I do agree that you don't need to ramp up board studying until January. I would still look at first aid and pathoma starting early though.

Not sure about your step 1 but mine was pathophysiology heavy. Very different from class material and not enough to score above average. But I do agree that you don't need to ramp up board studying until January. I would still look at first aid and pathoma starting early though.

Can you explain how it was different from class material?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

That's fair- what I was trying to emphasize is that you can't really get into reviewing path concepts (either straight path or pathophys) without having learned any pathology in the first place, so your review doesn't have to be heavy in the first semester.
Altered Scale- boards are a lot less detailed than Robbins and tend to focus more on "why does this disease happen" rather than "what are the histology features of this disease", which I think is what Zaphod42 was getting at (correct me if I'm wrong). FWIW, I did very well on the Robbins midterms and ended up doing very well on the path section of boards. Correlation doesn't equal causation, but that was my experience.

That's fair- what I was trying to emphasize is that you can't really get into reviewing path concepts (either straight path or pathophys) without having learned any pathology in the first place, so your review doesn't have to be heavy in the first semester.
Altered Scale- boards are a lot less detailed than Robbins and tend to focus more on "why does this disease happen" rather than "what are the histology features of this disease", which I think is what Zaphod42 was getting at (correct me if I'm wrong). FWIW, I did very well on the Robbins midterms and ended up doing very well on the path section of boards. Correlation doesn't equal causation, but that was my experience.

That's good. I feel like all of robbins and path this semester has been looking for pathonemonic features and then remembering borderline trivial facts of certain disorders.

I'm hoping that Cardio & Pulm are slightly more.... tolerable tho than Renal. Renal has legitimately worn me out hardcore.

That's good. I feel like all of robbins and path this semester has been looking for pathonemonic features and then remembering borderline trivial facts of certain disorders.

I'm hoping that Cardio & Pulm are slightly more.... tolerable tho than Renal. Renal has legitimately worn me out hardcore.

It's a reading comprehension test haha

It's a reading comprehension test haha

But for real though. Half of the battle is reading the case. Understanding what the "usual" answer is. And then picking out any details in the case that may potentially change the answer away from the norm (like from RCC to papillary carcinoma/urothelial carcinoma).

But for real though. Half of the battle is reading the case. Understanding what the "usual" answer is. And then picking out any details in the case that may potentially change the answer away from the norm (like from RCC to papillary carcinoma/urothelial carcinoma).

Right, I agree. Those questions I'm going to call were his reasonable ones. My issue comes from when you have a question that is either provides you with an obscure histological finding as the only finding i.e without even telling you the layer or when your answers are kinda elaborated statements off of the text that don't really sound correct.

I mean when it came down to it, my biggest loss of points was probably from the like 10 questions that tested extremely discrete trivia.

I mean in either case I did well on this test. But I'm also beating myself up because everything was frankly kidney soup in my head the night before.

Right, I agree. Those questions I'm going to call were his reasonable ones. My issue comes from when you have a question that is either provides you with an obscure histological finding as the only finding i.e without even telling you the layer or when your answers are kinda elaborated statements off of the text that don't really sound correct.

I mean when it came down to it, my biggest loss of points was probably from the like 10 questions that tested extremely discrete trivia.

I mean in either case I did well on this test. But I'm also beating myself up because everything was frankly kidney soup in my head the night before.

The COMLEX is kinda like that.

How do people pass comlex then? I don't imagine I can entirely memorize Robbins in 8 weeks haha

I wonder this as well. Especially considering we do well above average on COMLEX but slightly below average on the USMLE, when the USMLE is the superior test.

How do people pass comlex then? I don't imagine I can entirely memorize Robbins in 8 weeks haha

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

My comlex was pretty straight forward. Some odd ball stuff out of left field, but most things were answerable. I could immediately eliminate 2 options on almost every question and then it was just "what's the most common of the remaining options?" For ones I really didn't know.

You definitely do not need to memorize Robbins to do decent on comlex. First aid and pathoma are just fine. I followed the UFAP plan pretty religiously for 8 weeks. And also did combank. I exceeded my goal score I set for myself.

You guys will be FINE for boards. I know I was freaking out just like you are right now, but the board study materials are plenty and 8 weeks is enough time to prep.

My comlex was pretty straight forward. Some odd ball stuff out of left field, but most things were answerable. I could immediately eliminate 2 options on almost every question and then it was just "what's the most common of the remaining options?" For ones I really didn't know.

You definitely do not need to memorize Robbins to do decent on comlex. First aid and pathoma are just fine. I followed the UFAP plan pretty religiously for 8 weeks. And also did combank. I exceeded my goal score I set for myself.

You guys will be FINE for boards. I know I was freaking out just like you are right now, but the board study materials are plenty and 8 weeks is enough time to prep.

How do you manage to study during the kaplan session?

What did ppl who did go think about them?

I went to immuno because I felt I was lacking and needed reinforcement, it ended up being a waste of time (but that's just because that's not the way I learn things). I came back for path the last 3 days I think. Honestly it was golden! Even now, I still remember some of the stuff we reviewed. I had heard from upperclassmen and from other medical students in other schools where he has been, that the path prof for Kaplan was good and I can say they were not wrong. I am sure you can do well without it, but if you had to choose one section to attend, I will say definitely path

What did ppl who did go think about them?

Dr. Barone for Pathology was pretty good. I really liked the anatomy guy too. He taught a lot of conceptual stuff about anatomy that made things click. The physiology one was quite alright.

Typically these classes are a bit longer when taught at other institutions but our school asked for the truncated versions. So some of the instructors either opted to go over super high yield stuff or the more complex topics that people tend to get wrong. There is only so much you can cover in 2-3 days.

I don't recommend going unless you have a good foundation of knowledge and have been reviewing boards material for a while. If it will take time away from doing Qbanks or reviewing Pathoma then don't go.

2 months down, fellow 3rd year students.

How is everyone doing????

Reactions: 1 users
So only 3 people out of your class failed COMLEX 1. Avg was a 552 ( avg was 522 & 93% pass). That's pretty decent.

image.png

More than pretty decent!

I want to see the same graph but with USMLE scores.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow, great job class of 2018!
I'm kind of surprised the national pass rate is only ~93%.

Anyone use Step 2 Kaplan Qbank yet? Or have most of yall been using UWorld?