The NEW KCUMB class of 2011!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Let's hope this isn't indicative of the type of doctor I'll be...buuut, I seemed to have misplaced my matriculation packet, and I know there was a tenative MS1 schedule in there...could someone be kind enough to tell me when winter break will be? Thaaaanks.

--pat

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who misplaced the schedule. :D And I had that same question.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't shoe covers help with that? The residents I hung out with said they never had problems with blood/bodily fluids with their crocs.

Perhaps. However, in school laboratory settings, such as an anatomy lab, my guess is that standards will be somewhat different. Closed-toe shoes appear to be the standard for such areas, probably because of the potential for chemical spills. I think that formalin is a carcinogen, isn't it? I don't know what other chemicals might be present in the lab setting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who misplaced the schedule. :D And I had that same question.

I didn't exactly misplace mine, however I'd really have to look for it to find it. My guess is that my schedule from the packet is somewhere in one of my storage folders. Hehehe. :oops:

Don't shoe covers help with that? The residents I hung out with said they never had problems with blood/bodily fluids with their crocs.

You would have to supply your own shoe covers. They aren't given out at our school. I was just referring to anatomy lab juices, btw.

Perhaps. However, in school laboratory settings, such as an anatomy lab, my guess is that standards will be somewhat different. Closed-toe shoes appear to be the standard for such areas, probably because of the potential for chemical spills. I think that formalin is a carcinogen, isn't it? I don't know what other chemicals might be present in the lab setting.

Ya, the chemicals aren't the best for you. Also, if you've never been in a lab like this, the fat tends to melt into lots of juices. Big messes happen when flipping bodies sometimes.

You would have to supply your own shoe covers. They aren't given out at our school. I was just referring to anatomy lab juices, btw.

:thumbup: I was just thinking about 3rd/4th year and wearing crocs. For anatomy lab I will probably wear an old pair of sneakers that are falling apart already.

the 14th is our last test day and our break is from Dec 15th-Jan 3rd. Theresa in admissions emailed me :D

Thanks for clearing that up! Pack almost gave me a heart attack. ;)

I'm thinking the covered toe policy isn't only for bodily fluids but also for needles/scalpels that may potentially fall. I work in dialysis right now and deal with blood loaded 14 gauge needles that constantly are bobbled and are VERY capable of piercing leather shoes even. Imagine what a dropped scalpel could do.... :scared:

I can't believe we're on Page 6 already! :)

I was thinking the same thing! We're going to have to start The New NEW KCUMB class of 2011 thread before too long! :) I'm glad we have such a great group!

To avoid double rent in July, my wife and I just moved out of our apartment and into in her parents basement for 2.5 weeks until we leave for KC. I feel like such a loser.:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
To avoid double rent in July, my wife and I just moved out of our apartment and into in her parents basement for 2.5 weeks until we leave for KC. I feel like such a loser.:eek:

My husband and I had to do something similar a few years ago. I feel for ya! ;)

I sent my technology agreement about a month ago and apparently the IT department hasn't yet received it. I wonder what happened? Anyway, I made a copy of my agreement that I sent and I'm going to fax it over.

I still cannot get over the fact that I will be moving to KC in less than 3 weeks and that I will be starting medical school in less than 6 weeks!!! :eek:

:thumbup: I was just thinking about 3rd/4th year and wearing crocs. For anatomy lab I will probably wear an old pair of sneakers that are falling apart already.

You are thinking way too far into the future if that's the case. Focus on the now. This is your 2nd to last big break. Take advantage and don't worry about anything but what you will need for your first section. You will learn that you live from section to section. Then suddenly the year is over.

I'm thinking the covered toe policy isn't only for bodily fluids but also for needles/scalpels that may potentially fall. I work in dialysis right now and deal with blood loaded 14 gauge needles that constantly are bobbled and are VERY capable of piercing leather shoes even. Imagine what a dropped scalpel could do.... :scared:

I scrubbed in five hospitals in two states. Nobody cares what kind of shoes you wear. There was an optho in one hospital that just wore socks and shoe covers. Wear whatever shoes you want. In the unlikely event that the surgeon drops a scalpel it will pierce whatever you are wearing unless it's leather.

As for anatomy, do what someone above recommended and wear a ratty pair of sneakers. you will want to pitch them when you are done anyway.

You are thinking way too far into the future if that's the case. Focus on the now. This is your 2nd to last big break. Take advantage and don't worry about anything but what you will need for your first section. You will learn that you live from section to section. Then suddenly the year is over.

ditto, you guys should be going to the beach and meeting "hot" members of the opposite sex, or spending time with the ones you already have ;)

Actually I already have an attending, a friend of my mentor, that I will be shadowing first year in KC. So I will need something to wear in the hospital/OR, that is why I brought up the crocs. Better to be prepared, you know? As someone else said, if attendings/surgeons can wear crocs in the OR and not have issues, I am sure I will be fine. $30 for a pair of clogs isn't that big of a deal. Plus I can get a couple of box's of shoe covers for free from work. No biggie.

I sent my technology agreement about a month ago and apparently the IT department hasn't yet received it. I wonder what happened? Anyway, I made a copy of my agreement that I sent and I'm going to fax it over.

I finally got my blackboard account set up today. Let me know if you need any help Spice.

Thanks, Harvey. Hopefully, my account will be active this week. I just faxed over the agreement, which they should have gotten a long time ago, but somehow didn't get.

Same thing happened to me as well. Guess with all the forms the admissions department has been getting, I can see how a few could get misplaced. Don't worry, SDN is a lot more fun than the discussion thread on blackboard. :D

I thought I had a paper from KCUMB telling us what to wear for the white coating ceremony, but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone tell me what the ladies are supposed to wear for that night? Also, I have family members that will be flying in on August 9 the day of the ceremony, and I am needing to pick them up at the airport. Does anyone know how long the rehearsal will take that day? Better yet, does anyone know of a good time to tell my family members to arrange for their flight to arrive that day so that I may pick them up at the airport?

Rehearsal doesn't last long as long as people shut their mouths and listen. Otherwise it may last more than a few hours. I think it was 1 hr - 1 1/2 hrs last year. Female attire is white shirt with black bottoms and closed toed shoes. Males are similar, with coat and tie.

Everything is starting to become very real and close! CT called me and told me I was moving into room 520, 5th floor represent!

I called up KCUMB and they said they were sending out my FA award letter while I was on the phone with them.

I can't wait to give everyone a big :hello:!

Yeah, this summer is just flying by- I'm moving into the house in KC in 3 weeks! Crap!

Everything is starting to become very real and close! CT called me and told me I was moving into room 520, 5th floor represent!

I called up KCUMB and they said they were sending out my FA award letter while I was on the phone with them.

I can't wait to give everyone a big :hello:!

Early welcome to the 5th floor! I live in 517. Almost neighbors, but you'll be on the other wing.

Early welcome to the 5th floor! I live in 517. Almost neighbors, but you'll be on the other wing.

Anyone on the 9th floor of CT? BradenDO and I will be posting up there...

ERF will be your neighbor on the 9th floor.

Thanks to everyone that answered my questions about the day off of school and shoes and everything. Anyone on the 6th floor of CT? Please tell me no profs live there! Also about the white coat, girls are going to be wearing white shirts, like button down white shirts??

Hello again! Just wondering if anyone has talked to a Farra Wilson in your class. She is my little sister and has not responded to the email I sent her months ago. Thanks in advance! Again, feel free to ask me any questions via private message. I forget to check your thread sometimes. :)

Rehearsal doesn't last long as long as people shut their mouths and listen. Otherwise it may last more than a few hours. I think it was 1 hr - 1 1/2 hrs last year. Female attire is white shirt with black bottoms and closed toed shoes. Males are similar, with coat and tie.

I've heard that black dresses can be worn as well. ??

I just wanted to extend a warm welcome to all of the new KCUMB Class of 2011 members. I hope you are all getting excited to start school, and enjoying your last month of summer vacation. Make the most of it. I am going to be entering my 3rd year at KCUMB, so if anyone has any questions about anything (ie. books - I can suggest a few and I am getting rid of some too, apartments, classes, studying, etc...) feel free to ask -- private message is the best since I am not quite used to checking the threads as often, but I'll try. Congratulations again, and I look forward to your entrance into the KCUMB family.

Thanks to everyone that answered my questions about the day off of school and shoes and everything. Anyone on the 6th floor of CT? Please tell me no profs live there! Also about the white coat, girls are going to be wearing white shirts, like button down white shirts??

I wouldn't worry about it. I hadn't heard that ERF was living at CT. That's pretty funny. He still spends all his time at school, I'm sure. No other prof would want to live there. There are much nicer places to live in town. ERF just doesn't like to go far from school.

I wouldn't worry about it. I hadn't heard that ERF was living at CT. That's pretty funny. He still spends all his time at school, I'm sure. No other prof would want to live there. There are much nicer places to live in town. ERF just doesn't like to go far from school.

I have heard great things about him as a teacher. I look forward to having lectures from him. :thumbup:

In response to 2 ?s I saw, most girls wear either a white button-down shirt and a black skirt or black dress pants or a black dress. I wore a black dress.

Hey everyone... I'm very excited to get out there. I'm driving out with a friend from Boston the end of July. Does anyone know of a good Kareoke bar? Or, in fact, a good irish bar with Magner's Irish Cider? Tastes of home...

And I'll be moving in with a broken foot- full story to be disclosed after a few frosty adult beverages.

Excited to meet everyone- how'd you all figure out where you were in CT? Does anyone have a dog? If so, what are you doing with your dog during the 12 hours orientation days?

Thanks!

Hey everyone... I'm very excited to get out there. I'm driving out with a friend from Boston the end of July. Does anyone know of a good Kareoke bar? Or, in fact, a good irish bar with Magner's Irish Cider? Tastes of home...

And I'll be moving in with a broken foot- full story to be disclosed after a few frosty adult beverages.

Excited to meet everyone- how'd you all figure out where you were in CT? Does anyone have a dog? If so, what are you doing with your dog during the 12 hours orientation days?

Thanks!

I don't remember the days actually being that long. You will have breaks long enough to tend to your animals when you are that close.

I'll see you all at white coating. As a local alumnus, I was invited to be a coater. So I convinced one of my residency classmates to join me and we'll be helping to welcome you all to the KCUMB family. Feel free to find the shaved head in the crowd.

Do we get an orientation packet soon, or is everything online that we need?

I just posted a calendar with all the exam dates, breaks, etc on Google Calendar, if anyone's interested - all the exams are on Friday, which is nice. Maybe.

EDIT: Quizzes and practicals pending! :)

Keep in mind...Finals are on Fridays, practicals on Thursdays, and quizzes on Mondays. I don't think you have the full schedule yet. (You don't get the quiz dates until you are in the section.)

Yeah, I just put the calendar we got in the packet online, and I was planning on updating when we started school.

1 month from today, gals and fellas, we will be sitting in Orientation. Whoa. :cool:

I just posted a calendar with all the exam dates, breaks, etc on Google Calendar, if anyone's interested - all the exams are on Friday, which is nice. Maybe.

EDIT: Quizzes and practicals pending! :)

Thanks Mr Toilet!! I subscribed to it. I LOVE google calendar so this is great news!! Oh the little things in life.... :D

Thanks Mr Toilet!! I subscribed to it. I LOVE google calendar so this is great news!! Oh the little things in life.... :D

what is the address of the calendar?

what is the address of the calendar?

If you have a gmail/google calendar account, you can click on Search for public calendars (at the top of your homepage). Then type in KCUMB in the search box. MrToilet's calendar was the second listing on my search results page (2007-08 MSI I think is the name of it). If you don't have a google account (shame on you!! ;) just kidding), you can go to http://www.google.com/calendar/gallery and search public calendars from there.

Or try this http://www.google.com/calendar/gallery?q=KCUMB. Sorry, that would have been easier. :)