The NEW KCUMB class of 2011!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I forgot to call the school today and ask them a question. I was hoping one of you would know the answer. On the promisory note that we have to sign and send back for our loans, they want an address. Well, I am moving July 1st out of my current place and will be in limbo with relatives until I move to KC in the end of July. Should I put my KC address or my "limbo" relatives address? I just don't want them to send something in the mail and have me miss it before I leave or send something to my KC address and have it sit in the mailbox for 3 weeks. Probably doesn't matter in the long run. What do you think?

Could you place both addresses and write down the time frame you will be at each place?

Members don't see this ad.

Could you place both addresses and write down the time frame you will be at each place?

I just realized that he would be getting his award letter...hmmm... It took more than 3 weeks to get ours, right?

I would put down the relative's address. If anything, they can always forward you the info.

Members don't see this ad :)

I decided to take this route after talking with the FAO. You would think that this is a common question but when I called and asked them they didn't really know what to say. I was a little annoyed but I guess I'll get over it.

Has anyone received the list of recommended books yet?

Nope, I was kind of curious about that...

I'm getting really excited! I'm moving into CT this weekend! I'm finally going to be living on my own! :hardy:

Nope, I was kind of curious about that...

I'm getting really excited! I'm moving into CT this weekend! I'm finally going to be living on my own! :hardy:

Live it up. Get the naked cooking and cleaning out of your system before I get there. Harharharhar :laugh:

Not yet. I'm curious about that, too. However, I still haven't received my award letter yet...

I am in the same boat as you Spice. I still haven't received mine. I will probably give them a call just to make sure they have all my paper work.

Anyone else hate their current job? Mine blows

Anyone else hate their current job? Mine blows

My job definately doesn't blow, but I am happy this is my last week. It has been a great experience working in a lab.

I talked to the FA dept. and they said that they have all my paperwork and still haven't mailed out my FA letter. They said I should expect it anytime within the next 2-3 weeks. So I guess they are at the beginning of sending them out. Maybe it is alphabetical order?

Members don't see this ad :)
My job definately doesn't blow, but I am happy this is my last week. It has been a great experience working in a lab.

I talked to the FA dept. and they said that they have all my paperwork and still haven't mailed out my FA letter. They said I should expect it anytime within the next 2-3 weeks. So I guess they are at the beginning of sending them out. Maybe it is alphabetical order?

I was told they are sending the FA letters out in the order that they received the packets.

Hey guys! I was around a long time ago... but I was still wondering if anyone is living at Bennington Ridge and wants to carpool and meet up before orientation begins and go swimming at the awesome pool there :)

Can any of the second years give a little time management and/or studying tips that helped you? I know everyone is different...but how much did you really need to study???? (not that I am slacking already:hardy:) and I am in for meeting and eating before school.

Oh yeah does anyone in KC know of a gym that has Turbokick classes????

Hey guys! I was around a long time ago... but I was still wondering if anyone is living at Bennington Ridge and wants to carpool and meet up before orientation begins and go swimming at the awesome pool there :)

Can any of the second years give a little time management and/or studying tips that helped you? I know everyone is different...but how much did you really need to study???? (not that I am slacking already:hardy:) and I am in for meeting and eating before school.

Oh yeah does anyone in KC know of a gym that has Turbokick classes????

Turbokick, as in, Turbojam?! I have the DVDs but if you can find a class, count me in!!

This is the ideal studying habit:

Study the current day's lectures after class. Look over them twice if you don't remember much from the first time around. On Saturday, go over the current week's material. Sundays are for the 2 weeks for the quiz or for review of prior weeks if it is not a quiz weekend.

Granted, most are exhausted for some reason after anatomy lab. Might be the fumes or something. I, like many others, napped before going to study so that my brain was fresh.

Hope this helps! (I know if you study like this, you will know the information and do well. However, I would try, then get distracted and not keep up. I don't recommend my distracted ways.)

Just got an email with the info about blackboard. YAY! It really is getting close!! Anyway...there is a link for year 1 required textbooks. Not sure if thats what you were wanting Harvey, but thought I would pass it along. :)

Just got an email with the info about blackboard. YAY! It really is getting close!! Anyway...there is a link for year 1 required textbooks. Not sure if thats what you were wanting Harvey, but thought I would pass it along. :)

When they say "required", do they actually mean "recommended"? :D

Ya, don't believe required. Some people didn't buy any books last year.

Sorry I haven't gotten that email yet. Would you mind posting what it said about blackboard? Is it going to be up and running soon?

I did receive this email today, just incase someone didn't get it:

"Hello Class of 2011:

If you have received a finance statement from KCUMB that has a fee
listed for the criminal background check, please disregard that fee. It
was put on the statement by mistake. You will not be billed by KCUMB for
the criminal background check."

Blackboard is now up, as of 5pm today. Your username is your first initial and last name and your password is your birthday--no slashes. The website is http://blackboard.kcumb.edu

Sorry I haven't gotten that email yet. Would you mind posting what it said about blackboard? Is it going to be up and running soon?

Class of 2011 Online Community:

Dear Student,

Your community is online! Your username is your first initial and last
name. Your password is your birthday, eight digits, no dashes, spaces or
slashes (i.e., June 6th, 1975 would be 06061975). Please remember that
this is only your Blackboard account information, your network and
e-mail accounts will be created in August, because of the existence of
duplicates, your username may change (if this happens, you will be
contacted individually). If you have any questions, please feel free to
contact the IT Helpdesk or myself.

Please be sure to check the community announcements for up to date
information.

Blackboard URL: http://blackboard.kcumb.edu

Thank you for your participation.

Sincerely,

Tyler Feikema,
Instructional Technology Manager
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
[email protected]
(816)-283-2496

Blackboard is now up, as of 5pm today. Your username is your first initial and last name and your password is your birthday--no slashes. The website is http://blackboard.kcumb.edu

Hmmm... My account doesn't appear to be set up yet. I tried to gain access and I received a login error. I guess I'll have to wait until I get the official email message.

Hmmm... My account doesn't appear to be set up yet. I tried to gain access and I received a login error. I guess I'll have to wait until I get the official email message.

:( Same for me. Guess we aren't as cool as the others.

about the books, which ones do we need to buy for the first semester? seems like an awful lot to buy all at once.

Speaking of books, is anyone buying or planning to buy any review books for the COMLEX or USMLE? I'm trying to figure out which review books everyone thinks is best...

Would someone who has access to blackboard be so kind to post the list of recommended books?

Speaking of books, is anyone buying or planning to buy any review books for the COMLEX or USMLE? I'm trying to figure out which review books everyone thinks is best...

I know that First Aid is a must. As far as the rest I think it is up to personal choice (BRS, High Yield, Kaplan, Rapid Review, Road Map..etc.). Many students have told me to look at the format of a view of them in a bookstore before I buy them. I would advise the same.

Speaking from all people I knew in my class, most that bought books didn't use them until later in the year, so you can still buy whatever you want after the year begins and you make a trip to the bookstore.

As for the blackboard, if it doesn't work, someone else may have the same first initial last name as you. Try first initial plus next letter then last name. For example, for Harvey Cushing, try HaCushing. If that doesn't work, then it's probably not set up yet.

Anatomy
FOR A TEXTBOOK YOU ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE
• K. L. Moore, A. F. Dalley, Clinically Oriented Anatomy, 5th Ed., Williams & Wilkins, 2006
FOR A LABORATORY DISSECTOR YOU ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE
• P. Tank. Grant's Dissector, 13th Ed. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2005
FOR AN ATLAS YOU ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE
• F. H. Netter, A. F. Dalley, Consulting Ed., Atlas of Human Anatomy, 4thEd., Novartis, 2006

Biochemistry
• Smith, Marks and Lieberman, Marks' Basic Medical Biochemistry, 2nd Ed., Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2004

BLS
• AHA, BLS for Healthcare Providers, 2001

Curriculum Schemes
• Greene II, Johnson & Lemcke, Decision Making in Medicine: An Algorithmic Approach, 2nd Ed., Mosby, 1998

Embryology
• T. W. Sadler, Langman's Medical Embryology, 10th Ed., Lippincott, Williams, & Wilkins, 2006

Histology
• Kierzenbaum, Histology and cell Biology: An Introduction to Pathology, 2nd Ed., Mosby Elsevier, 2007
• EITHER:
o Kerr, Atlas of Functional Histology, 1st Ed., Mosby, 1999 OR
o Eroschenko, Histology CDR, 10th Ed., AGC Educational Media (CD), 2005 OR
o Gartner, Color Atlas of Histology, 3rd Ed., Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2000

Immunology
• Abbas and Lichtman Basic Immunology: Functions and Disorders of the Immune System, W.B. Saunders, 2ND Ed, W.B. Saunders, 2006

Speaking from all people I knew in my class, most that bought books didn't use them until later in the year, so you can still buy whatever you want after the year begins and you make a trip to the bookstore.

As for the blackboard, if it doesn't work, someone else may have the same first initial last name as you. Try first initial plus next letter then last name. For example, for Harvey Cushing, try HaCushing. If that doesn't work, then it's probably not set up yet.

Or, in my case, use your middle initial.

Anatomy
• K. L. Moore, A. F. Dalley, Clinically Oriented Anatomy, 5th Ed., Williams & Wilkins, 2006
• P. Tank. Grant's Dissector, 13th Ed. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2005
• F. H. Netter, A. F. Dalley, Consulting Ed., Atlas of Human Anatomy, 4thEd., Novartis, 2006

Biochemistry
• Smith, Marks and Lieberman, Marks' Basic Medical Biochemistry, 2nd Ed., Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2004

BLS

Curriculum Schemes
• Greene II, Johnson & Lemcke, Decision Making in Medicine: An Algorithmic Approach, 2nd Ed., Mosby, 1998

Embryology
• T. W. Sadler, Langman's Medical Embryology, 10th Ed., Lippincott, Williams, & Wilkins, 2006

Histology
• Kierzenbaum, Histology and cell Biology: An Introduction to Pathology, 2nd Ed., Mosby Elsevier, 2007
• EITHER:
o Gartner, Color Atlas of Histology, 3rd Ed., Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2000

Immunology
• Abbas and Lichtman Basic Immunology: Functions and Disorders of the Immune System, W.B. Saunders, 2ND Ed, W.B. Saunders, 2006

I wonder how "required" those books are. Isn't it up to us to determine if we need textbooks and which ones to buy?

I wonder how "required" those books are. Isn't it up to us to determine if we need textbooks and which ones to buy?

Well, like HIANMI said, wait and see. I've heard that lecture notes are going to be your best bet b/c that's where test questions are pulled from.

Well, like HIANMI said, wait and see. I've heard that lecture notes are going to be your best bet b/c that's where test questions are pulled from.

Yeah I agree. I also got some used board review books from a friend that I plan on using. I'm not much of a textbook guy, so hopefully I can make it through without having to drop $$$ on books that I won't use.

Hey all you incoming first years! First off, I'd like to congratulate you all on your acceptance into med school. It will be a long four years, but definately worth it! I just graduated in May and am staying in town to do my residency in family medicine. My wife and I welcomed our third child into the world in April and we realized that our home is getting too small to hold us in. We're throwing around the idea of buying another home in the area and renting ours out. I wanted to see if there were any SDNers out there who may be interested in renting our house from us. We bought it at a time when interest rates were great, so the monthly payments are very reasonable. It is in Liberty, which if you don't know the area is about 20 minutes from school. It is a very easy commute. If you have kids it is one of the best school districts in the state. The home would probably work best for either two same sex students, a married couple, or a small family. It has worked well for my wife, two daughters and me for the past three years. Anyway, PM me if you are interested. Here are the specifics:

• 3 br, 2 ba
  • 2 car garage
  • very large (just under 1 acre) treed lot which would be mowed by me or someone else if you didn't feel you had the time. If you did want to do it, I could leave the riding mower
  • Central heat/air
  • washer dryer
  • friendly community with great neighbors
  • invisible fence for a dog if you have one (you'd have to buy a collar for your dog).

Again, this is just sort of a testing of the waters. I'm just trying to see if there's any interest. I'm not really interested in offering it on the open market. I have a soft spot for med students. If you are a handy type of person, I might even knock some rent off if you can do your own maintenance (of course I'd pay for supplies). Or if repairs had to be done, you could arrange to have things fixed and take the cost out of the rent. PM me if interested and we can discuss price.

Thanks all and Good luck in med school.

Anatomy
K. L. Moore, A. F. Dalley, Clinically Oriented Anatomy, 5th Ed., Williams & Wilkins, 2006
P. Tank. Grant's Dissector, 13th Ed. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2005
F. H. Netter, A. F. Dalley, Consulting Ed., Atlas of Human Anatomy, 4thEd., Novartis, 2006

Biochemistry

BLS

Curriculum Schemes

Embryology

Histology
• EITHER:

Immunology

I've bolded the ones that would be a good idea to own. The ones that are bolded and red are MUST buys. With the caveat that you shouldn't buy the dissector until you get here. You only need one per tank, so if someone got a hand me down you'll be good to go. Also, you won't start anatomy right away so you'll have time to meet your tank mates and can share the cost of buying a "lab copy" that doesn't leave the lab. (you won't want to bring it home). Anyway, these are suggestions from when I was there. Things may have changed and they may require you to purchase a package as they now do with equipment. I'd look to one of the second years for more specific advice.

I've bolded the ones that would be a good idea to own. The ones that are bolded and red are MUST buys. With the caveat that you shouldn't buy the dissector until you get here. You only need one per tank, so if someone got a hand me down you'll be good to go. Also, you won't start anatomy right away so you'll have time to meet your tank mates and can share the cost of buying a "lab copy" that doesn't leave the lab. (you won't want to bring it home). Anyway, these are suggestions from when I was there. Things may have changed and they may require you to purchase a package as they now do with equipment. I'd look to one of the second years for more specific advice.

Thanks for coming on here and sharing your wisdom with us. We really appreciate it!

I can't believe we will be starting school in a month. I remember when I got my acceptance I was in euphoria. Now that I think about how my life will change as a med-student, it is kinda freaky. :scared:

I can't believe we will be starting school in a month. I remember when I got my acceptance I was in euphoria. Now that I think about how my life will change as a med-student, it is kinda freaky. :scared:

I felt the same way when I started. Now starting my internship in a few days, I'm as nervous as your avatar was :D

Off the top of my head...

Robbins and Coltran Pathological Basis of Disease - get it as soon as possible and just start reading it. Its very long and very intimidating, but it is MONEY for boards. You'll thank me 2 years from now when you've killed both COMLEX/USMLE AND secured a stellar class GPA.

Robbin's Atlas of Pathology (optional, but it'll make your life a lot easier for path practicals... its essentially the webpath website put into a textbook with a little extra text but I absolutely love having it around to study from as a text.)

Netters anatomy atlas (you can get this for free for joining SOMA club... club membership is the same price as the text, plus you get a nifty SOMA t-shirt!)

You're required to get Moore/Dalley (and the professors like to construct exam questions based upon the blue box clinical correlates and so fort), so its worth getting anyhow. A good book to help clear up any confusion you may have about specifics of location/function... etc etc.

Not crazy about the Grant's dissectors (though it is a very well written book... I just never used it).

Stedman's medical dictionary (optional, I believe you get this for joining either AMSA or AMA club... but club membership is over $100). Its really useful (and it comes with a CD to install onto your computer). But all of the campus computers already have it installed on them, so its up to you.

DiGiovanna's Osteopathic manipulation text - admittedly, I never got this and most of my friends that had it never really read it much. Its required, but there are other books that are more helpful... such as...

Simmon's Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine: Review for the Boards. Absolute MUST. This book is a lifesaver for OMT practicals and for COMLEX OMT prep.

You should probably get a Histology atlas of choice, simply because the class notes rarely (never?) makes histology images available. You can usually still view most of the histology via powerpoint/pdf files on a computer, but I think its a lot easier if you just have an atlas to carry.

As for other texts...

Guyton's Physiology is a very thorough and well written text. However, our school has such a strong physiology department, that I doubt you'll ever need it much (its available to use in the school library regardless). You'll learn very quickly if physiology is a weak point for you (if so... then you should go ahead and pick up Guyton... cuz that book will explain EVERYTHING).

Embryology/biochemistry, same deal. Your class notes are more than enough to learn these subjects.

Basically, thats it (outside of review books). You should go ahead and pick up the current edition of First Aid:USMLE. Partly to start annotating during sections in anticipation for board prep during MS2 year... but mostly cuz reading through each relevant section corresponding to the section you're studying in class will make your life a lot easier (it'll tell you what are the most important concepts you need to focus in on and learn like the back of your hand). I know some students in our class avoided First Aid like the plague, and ended up missing questions on CLASS EXAMS because they "didn't get it" (i.e. picked the wrong answer because while technically more than one answer COULD be correct... the rationale behind why one answer is more relevant and important in context to the overall concept of the section was missed). Hard to explain, especially before any of you guys have even sat in a single lecture (much less taken an exam)... but you'll understand soon enough.

For any of you guys who are afraid of ghosts, CT used to be a hospital. They converted into apartments. :smuggrin:

I've also heard First Aid for the COMLEX (a new book now available) is really good for reviewing for boards. I heard there are excellent questions in it. Granted that is a little ways away for you right now, but something to keep in mind.

For any of you guys who are afraid of ghosts, CT used to be a hospital. They converted into apartments. :smuggrin:

haha I hope I have one...I'll ask it to wake me up whenever I fall asleep while studying. :sleep: ghost :eek:

Off the top of my head...

Robbins and Coltran Pathological Basis of Disease - get it as soon as possible and just start reading it. Its very long and very intimidating, but it is MONEY for boards. You'll thank me 2 years from now when you've killed both COMLEX/USMLE AND secured a stellar class GPA.

I have had friends recommend "Pocket Companion to Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease" instead of the full length version. They said that the full version goes too indepth and would be really useful for a proff, but as a med-student the pocket version is more than enough. Any comments on that?

I have had friends recommend "Pocket Companion to Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease" instead of the full length version. They said that the full version goes too indepth and would be really useful for a proff, but as a med-student the pocket version is more than enough. Any comments on that?

My thoughts...

The Pocket Companion (aka "baby robbins") is a waste of money. A much better bet if you want to go with a trimmed down pathology reference is either Rapid Review Pathology (currently the path review book of choice) or BRS Pathology. These books are more for board review (though they do a great job highlighting the key points when studying for class). Admittedly, for the purposes of COMLEX... these are all probably enough.

But Big Robbins will help you NAIL pathology with respect to the level that USMLE will bring. And I'll straight out say it, plan to take the USMLE (the only exceptions to this are those that are either in the military.... those that are totally comfortable with Family Medicine, OB/GYN, Peds... or those that are totally comfortable applying to just osteopathic residencies). Anyhow, Big Robbins is just a really useful reference to have regardless. Everyone should own it. Robbins incorporates histology, biochem and physio as well. There is nothing low-yield in that textbook when it comes to the USMLE. You can ask your big brother/sisters for their thoughts.

As for First Aid:Comlex... I read through most of it (borrowed from a friend), but didn't think it brought up anything that Simmons didn't already cover (save perhaps Chapman's points... which frankly, First Aid:Comlex did a pretty lousy job describing anyhow... I had to use my Kaplan OMT book for that). The FA:Comlex book is nice, but Simmon's is enough (for all of the OMT on comlex) and its a lot more reader friendly (plus the 40 question section at the end of the book were spitting images of the OMT questions that made up 1/5th of my COMLEX exam). I believe Simmons is also cheaper. I guarantee that your big's will recommend this text. For most people, it was the only OMT book they used during their entire 2 basic sciences years.

This is very helpful discussion about books etc... Can you buy most of these books at the school or do we need to find 'em online?