The NEW KCUMB class of 2011!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey incomings-
A lot of my friends will back in KC the weekend of July 13th and I think we may have some insanity planned for that weekend. I'll let you know more when I do, but if you'll be in KCMO by then, you're all welcome to join us!

Members don't see this ad.

Guess what I got today!! That's right, my award letter! I also received a letter about a learning enhancement program. It's a short class to go over study skills and there is also a short review over biochem and some other classes. It's from July 30th to Aug. 3rd.

Braden and I are gonna be classmates July 30th- Aug. 3rd. Anyone else gonna join us? Its gonna be a great time. :banana::banana:

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's sit next to each other and pass notes!! :D

Hahaha for sure. Hopefully Dr. Friedlander won't yell at us!!

Hey you seperated my two dancing bananas. They don't look as cool unless they are dancing next to each other.

Hahaha for sure. Hopefully Dr. Friedlander won't yell at us!!

Hey you seperated my two dancing bananas. They don't look as cool unless they are dancing next to each other.

Really? They're still next to each other on my screen...?

Really? They're still next to each other on my screen...?

Hmm strange. I was just looking at post #103 and the format was a little messed up. Maybe it is on my end?

I am going to do the enhancement program as well. I think it sounds like some good info and a leg up on stuff would be nice. I also would be up for getting together anytime as I am already in KC. I love Kona and BBQ so anywhere you all choose would be great. :)

Braden, where you gonna be living before the 1st? I'd looove to come up early and take that class.......

I thought I would offer a different perspective on the summer review class the week before school starts. I wouldn't worry too much about the review class if you are not invited or not able to attend, because I wasn't asked to do it last year and I did not feel that I was at any significant disadvantage in FOM. Once I found out other people were getting a review, I was a little worried, especially since I was not a science major and had been out of school for a year. I don't know why they ask some people and don't invite others, but I guess there's some method for their madness. Just thought I would say that in case some of you guys are worried about it. Don't worry you'll be studying before you know it!!! :)

Does anyone know if it is alright to miss the first day of the Enhancement Class and still go to the rest? I most likely will not be in town until late the 29th. I could probably make it, but after driving 10 hours across Kansas the night before I don't think I will be up for it :sleep:!! LOL

I know there were discussions about this in our previous thread, but when you guys filled the online form form the background check, did you get anything back or it is suppposed to go to school directly?

I remember people people saying they found people which same name on the same SSN. I never got anything back.

Can anyone please clarify this?

I think I got something back from the background check in the form of an online receipt and then I believe I also got something in the mail saying I was good to go.

Also does anyone know why some people were picked for the enhancement thing and some were not?

I thought I would offer a different perspective on the summer review class the week before school starts. I wouldn't worry too much about the review class if you are not invited or not able to attend, because I wasn't asked to do it last year and I did not feel that I was at any significant disadvantage in FOM. Once I found out other people were getting a review, I was a little worried, especially since I was not a science major and had been out of school for a year. I don't know why they ask some people and don't invite others, but I guess there's some method for their madness. Just thought I would say that in case some of you guys are worried about it. Don't worry you'll be studying before you know it!!! :)

Does anyone know how many people attend this class?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know there were discussions about this in our previous thread, but when you guys filled the online form form the background check, did you get anything back or it is suppposed to go to school directly?

I remember people people saying they found people which same name on the same SSN. I never got anything back.

I got an email that had a link to view and download my background check. The school also receives a copy of it. I sent an email to Phil Byrne yesterday to confirm that he had received my information and he confirmed that my background check had been received. I would suggest that everyone email Theresa and Phil to find out if the needed material has been received so they don't drop your seat after the deadlines.

After the 3-5 days that it takes for your background check, you should get an email with a copy of the report. I believe I got mine ~ 3 days after filling out the form.

Also does anyone know why some people were picked for the enhancement thing and some were not?

I wonder why I got selected as well (I'm not going to complain since I wanted to go). Maybe since I have been out of school working they thought it would be a good chance for me to get back into the "academic mode"? I don't know if there is a clear cut answer for this question. I am just happy the school is looking out for my best interests this early in the game. :thumbup:

What kind of backpack is everyone going to get/use? I'm just wondering how much stuff we should plan on carrying to campus everday (especially for those who aren't living in CT). Just wanting to plan accordingly.

If a second year can offer some insight, I'd be very grateful! :D Thanks!

Braden, where you gonna be living before the 1st? I'd looove to come up early and take that class.......

Before August 1st? I'll be in KC for sure...I'm going to take the class also. :hardy:

What kind of backpack is everyone going to get/use? I'm just wondering how much stuff we should plan on carrying to campus everday (especially for those who aren't living in CT). Just wanting to plan accordingly.

If a second year can offer some insight, I'd be very grateful! :D Thanks!

Most use just a regular-sized backpack. At most, you will have a 3-inch binder full of notes (that's what I used for all my sections, and everything from the 6 weeks fit). I also didn't carry it around all the time until finals week. I used a 1 1/2" binder for the current 2-weeks material. This carries all you need for the upcoming quiz and is much lighter to carry. You might have your netter's on days you want to study anatomy, but with the smaller binder, it all still fit. That's what I did. Some may have done differently though. You can always carry your purse and/or lunch outside your backpack if you want to do that.

I will let you all know that if you are part of the Partner's program, younger than most, or older than most, you will be asked to join the week of extra studies. There are a few other criteria, like undergrad GPA or MCATs that also get you into the class.

I will let you all know that if you are part of the Partner's program, younger than most, or older than most, you will be asked to join the week of extra studies. There are a few other criteria, like undergrad GPA or MCATs that also get you into the class.

I'm older than most, so it seems I'll likely be asked to join. ;) :D

I'll be in the summer review class as well... It'd be nice if we could move in to CT before the class started.

MMmmm, OK, I'm 23 and got decent numbers on both...I was worried that they already forgot about me. :scared:

Does anyone know when we get our blackboard accounts? Maybe end of this month/beginning of July?

Harvey, why the change of avatar? It's like I don't even know you anymore! :D

I just wanted a change of scenery. :D The original will eventually come back. I have recently been watching my back-log of Scrubs episodes, and I love the scene from my avatar. Complete classic.

So are we all going to try to meet somewhere the weekend before orientation??? I am definitely down for that. . .Is anyone living close to the plaza area???

Looks like I didn't get invited to the review class before orientation week.

I've been in for awhile (deferred my acceptance) but I just joined this website (I feel so behind on things reading the old posts)...so, anyway... count me in, baby!

I've been in for awhile (deferred my acceptance) but I just joined this website (I feel so behind on things reading the old posts)...so, anyway... count me in, baby!

Did you defer your class of 2010 for a spot in the 2011 class? If so, welcome aboard. I think that you will find that the class of 2011 will be the best that KCUMB has seen in its 91yr history.:D

Did you defer your class of 2010 for a spot in the 2011 class? If so, welcome aboard. I think that you will find that the class of 2011 will be the best that KCUMB has seen in its 91yr history.:D

Yeah, I did. I needed to "find myself," as well as "find some money." Plus, I had to do some other things on my pre-Med School agenda, things impossible during Med School, ya know?

So, thanks for the welcome, Harvey. Best class indeed.

Looking forward to chatting a bit before we all finally meet in person.

Jake

Hey guys, I'm an MS3 over at KCUMB... currently procrastinating from studying for boards (USMLE that is, already took COMLEX... yeegads, that was fun... not). Just thought I'd open myself up to provide any advice, if you're interested. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about the curriculum and so-forth.

I didn't participate in the SLEP program before my MS1 year, but I know most of the students that did. At least 1/2 of them are at the top of our class (2-3 are candidates for class validectorian). Granted, most were probably gunners before they came to medical school (I know for a fact that some of them were)... but that can't be a coincidence. I'd definitely look into it.

Just an FYI, I believe Dr. Friedlander has moved into CT for this year. :rolleyes: He can be a little eccentric at times, but imo you won't find a single professor on campus that will better prepare you for boards and/or residency. He's our Goljan... and then some. And as you know, ERF makes his career know-how freely available on the net for everyone to benefit. (Btw, did you know pathguy.com is one of the recommended websites listed in the back of First Aid:USMLE?)

Anyhow, g'luck to you all. And congrats again on your acceptance. You've made a wise decision choosing to start your medical education here and you won't regret it. :thumbup:

Hey guys, I'm an MS3 over at KCUMB... currently procrastinating from studying for boards (USMLE that is, already took COMLEX... yeegads, that was fun... not). Just thought I'd open myself up to provide any advice, if you're interested. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about the curriculum and so-forth.

I didn't participate in the SLEP program before my MS1 year, but I know most of the students that did. At least 1/2 of them are at the top of our class (2-3 are candidates for class validectorian). Granted, most were probably gunners before they came to medical school (I know for a fact that some of them were)... but that can't be a coincidence. I'd definitely look into it.

Just an FYI, I believe Dr. Friedlander has moved into CT for this year. :rolleyes: He can be a little eccentric at times, but imo you won't find a single professor on campus that will better prepare you for boards and/or residency. He's our Goljan... and then some. And as you know, ERF makes his career know-how freely available on the net for everyone to benefit. (Btw, did you know pathguy.com is one of the recommended websites listed in the back of First Aid:USMLE?)

Anyhow, g'luck to you all. And congrats again on your acceptance. You've made a wise decision choosing to start your medical education here and you won't regret it. :thumbup:

I am really looking forward to the SLEP and was happy I got an invite. I will already be in town, so I don't have anything to loose. Even if I only gain a few useful tips/ideas, it will be well worth it. :thumbup:

I also heard that ERF moved into CT. Maybe knock on his door for a review session? :laugh: I can't wait to begin this year.

Congrats and good luck to the KCUMB Class of 2011. Med school will be a true rollercoaster ride, you will love it and hate it, but it will be memorable.:thumbup:

So are we all going to try to meet somewhere the weekend before orientation??? I am definitely down for that. . .Is anyone living close to the plaza area???

Yes I'll be living a block from the plaza. I was going to live at CT mostly because it was so close to the school but found a nice place near the plaza and couldn't pass it up.

:laugh: I can see it now. Med student after a final comes stumbling in at 2 AM in a drunken stupor then ERF pulls them from the hallway to look at slides with him.

ERF: "Alright big guy, green apple birefringence whats going on in this slide."
Student: "Waah what time is it? Where am I? Did you say you have apples?"

Seriously though ERF is great. You guys will love him.

I will confirm...ERF does live in CT. I've talked with him a few times in passing. Not a big deal. He lives very close to me and we still had drinking parties in my apt. By the way Braden, he is your neighbor too!

Fear the Turtle! :thumbup: :rolleyes:

I will confirm...ERF does live in CT. I've talked with him a few times in passing. Not a big deal. He lives very close to me and we still had drinking parties in my apt. By the way Braden, he is your neighbor too!

Hurray!! :p

He's the pathology instructor at OSU-COM. He's also the author of Rapid Review Pathology (currently the en vogue text for current MS2's to study from for boards) as well as a series of audio lectures that are being pirated around the net.

If you browse the USMLE/COMLEX Step 1 forum a bit, you can find a lot more information about it. Its probably way too early for any of you guys to think too much about boards, but I think it'd be wise to take some time to see what's ahead. Your Step 1 exam is arguably the single most important factor in determining your future in medicine.

Of course grades, rotation evaluations and extracurriculars are important as well, but your board score could easily become the final factor that residency directors will use to select who gets in and who doesn't (particularly in the competitive specialties such as Derm, Rads and Orthopedics). Bottom line, you want to do as well as possible.

You guys won't start your formal pathology instruction until musculoskeletal (about 6-7 weeks into the school year), but once it does... listen to every word ERF has to say. I kid you not. His advice and instruction is gold when it comes to board prep. The fact that path is emphasized so much on boards is reason enough to learn it as well as you can (and trust me... ERF will be thorough).

Oh, and Packamylase...

2002-md-m-baskbl-champs-hdr.jpg

Thats all that matters to me, buddy. :cool:

I was not invited to the SLEP program, so I won't be attending that. I received my FA package yesterday and there was no SLEP invitation.

And Terpskins99, Congrats on the NCAA Championship. My ribbing was in jest. I pull for the ACC teams (except UNC) in the NCAA tournament and in the bowl games.

I was not invited to the SLEP program, so I won't be attending that. I received my FA package yesterday and there was no SLEP invitation.

I received my SLEP invite seperately since I am still waiting on my FA package.

So I forgot to call the school today and ask them a question. I was hoping one of you would know the answer. On the promisory note that we have to sign and send back for our loans, they want an address. Well, I am moving July 1st out of my current place and will be in limbo with relatives until I move to KC in the end of July. Should I put my KC address or my "limbo" relatives address? I just don't want them to send something in the mail and have me miss it before I leave or send something to my KC address and have it sit in the mailbox for 3 weeks. Probably doesn't matter in the long run. What do you think?

So I forgot to call the school today and ask them a question. I was hoping one of you would know the answer. On the promisory note that we have to sign and send back for our loans, they want an address. Well, I am moving July 1st out of my current place and will be in limbo with relatives until I move to KC in the end of July. Should I put my KC address or my "limbo" relatives address? I just don't want them to send something in the mail and have me miss it before I leave or send something to my KC address and have it sit in the mailbox for 3 weeks. Probably doesn't matter in the long run. What do you think?

If it were me, I'd put the KC address.