Texas A&M Accepted for Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my new packet in the mail today. Heads up.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my joy of being accepted this morning via e-mail! I was ecstatic about 3 hours ago, and now I'm thinking "holy crap, I have to find housing, do financial aid, choose a campus, look at laptop requirements, plan a move date all before August 3, etc..."

Granted, some great problems to have, but also extremely stressful. In any case, I can't really decide between living at CS for four or CS+RR for 2+2. And, from scanning the post, I don't see a lot of chatter about RR. Does anybody have any opinions or experiences with the 2+2 program or with RR?

Thanks!

Sam
Good luck! Actually, you have only until July 27. Attendance at orientation is MANDATORY, as you will soon find out from your packets.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my joy of being accepted this morning via e-mail! I was ecstatic about 3 hours ago, and now I'm thinking "holy crap, I have to find housing, do financial aid, choose a campus, look at laptop requirements, plan a move date all before August 3, etc..."

Granted, some great problems to have, but also extremely stressful. In any case, I can't really decide between living at CS for four or CS+RR for 2+2. And, from scanning the post, I don't see a lot of chatter about RR. Does anybody have any opinions or experiences with the 2+2 program or with RR?

Thanks!

Sam

Congrats! As was stated, orientation is mandatory, so July 27 is it. No one has opinions or experiences with Round Rock yet, as no one has been there. On the plus side, the campus will be brand new, there will be very good one-on-one interaction with the attending physicians as there will be few students or residents there. The other good news is that campus designation decisions are not final. You can change your mind in two years (supposedly).

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! As was stated, orientation is mandatory, so July 27 is it. No one has opinions or experiences with Round Rock yet, as no one has been there. On the plus side, the campus will be brand new, there will be very good one-on-one interaction with the attending physicians as there will be few students or residents there. The other good news is that campus designation decisions are not final. You can change your mind in two years (supposedly).

Good luck!

Ohh I did not know that! I didn't even bother asking because I thought it was final...good to know!

Hey guys,

Thanks!

Sam

Congrats! (But they gave you a choice in campuses? I was assigned mine.)

Ohh I did not know that! I didn't even bother asking because I thought it was final...good to know!
You can get on a waitlist to move to a different designation. My two classmates who are also going to A&M who ended up with their second choices got moved to their first about a month or month and a half ago.

Quick discussion point for those of you who just finished year one. I know this will probably change a bit with the curriculum change, but can you guys give us an idea of what your typical day was like. What time did you get up on average, study times, working out, going to bed, etc.

You can get on a waitlist to move to a different designation. My two classmates who are also going to A&M who ended up with their second choices got moved to their first about a month or month and a half ago.

Hmm...

Quick discussion point for those of you who just finished year one. I know this will probably change a bit with the curriculum change, but can you guys give us an idea of what your typical day was like. What time did you get up on average, study times, working out, going to bed, etc.

Sean / Mulls / cpa / company?

Typical day was class at 9 or 10 (never 8!) lunch from 12-1, usually a lab or lecture in the afternoon. Rarely were we in class more than 9-3, and often that was only 3 days per week. A few weeks we had class 9-4 every day, and people tended to get really cranky.

I pretty much kept normal person sleep hours, but I'm old and need my sleep. Also, I am not a gunner. Study hours varied, but you can usually count on 3-5 hours per day.

As far as campus designations after 2 years, this is all still pretty much new, as the first M3s are just now in CS. I'm not even sure there are M3s in RR just yet. That being said, they realize that we are humans, and needs change. If you fall in love with a classmate who is going to do a 2+2 and you are scheduled to do all 4 in CS, they will probably let one of you change your designation. I'm sure they'll be fairly flexible with campus designations as far as space is available.

On another note, it seems there has been some movement on the waitlist - my M1 buddy just withdrew from A&M and I have a new buddy.

Hey guys, I'm starting to get a little nervous about how much money it looks like these next 4 years are going to cost. I'm looking at about $30,000 per year (I'm in-state) is that about what most of ya'll are thinking you are going to spend?

Hey guys, I'm starting to get a little nervous about how much money it looks like these next 4 years are going to cost. I'm looking at about $30,000 per year (I'm in-state) is that about what most of ya'll are thinking you are going to spend?

Yeah, about that.

Yay.

To all yall moving to Temple, I would love to show you guys the ropes when you get here. Maybe we could have a little beer session at one of the bars.

On another note, has anyone seen a test schedule anywhere? My wife and I were asked to go to the beach one weekend in September.....not really sure if that is going to work out or not, but a test schedule would go a long way towards figuring it out.

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer. For those of you who are coming from out of state (especially the north)...I hope yall are ready for some HEAT! It's supposed to get to 105 here today....perfect summer weather.

Members don't see this ad :)

No doubt, it is a lot of money. However, think of what you are paying for. When you are done, you essentially have job security for life...not many professions can say that. To go along with that job security, you will have a pretty sweet income no matter what field you pick.

I completely understand where you are coming from. I have debt from professional school one time around all ready. I wish I had lived a little more frugally (is that a word?) the first time around. The best advice I can give is to make yourself a budget each month and STICK TO IT! It is going to be tough when you see however many thousands of dollars in your bank account not to live above your means. I know Sean can attest to this as well, but they should make Dave Ramsey a prerequisite for starting med school. It's all good though...remember how "cheap" we have it compared to other places!

just got my 2nd packet and have a few questions-

regarding insurance plans, is the s&w plan we got in this packet different than the tamu insurance plan we received in the first packet?

we can't register for parking until we have received our UIN in the mail, correct?

thanks!

Last edited:
just got my 2nd packet and have a few questions-

regarding insurance plans, is the s&w plan we got in this packet different than the tamu insurance plan we received in the first packet?

we can't register for parking until we have received our UIN in the mail, correct?

thanks!

My second packet hasn't come in yet, but I did look into the A&M insurance policies. From what I have found, the normal S&W plan is significantly cheaper. My plan has 0 deductible and a $30 co-pay for PCP, $0 for specialty visits. I pay $154 a month for that policy. When I called the health plan about a similar policy, it was actually more expensive. I know you can get catastrophy type plans with $2,500 or $5,000 deductibles for significantly cheaper than what I just quoted.

so it sounds like they are 2 separate plans... though i would assume that with the s&w plan you are limited to seeing physicians only within s&w...

so it sounds like they are 2 separate plans... though i would assume that with the s&w plan you are limited to seeing physicians only within s&w...

Yes, I believe you are correct. S&W's plan is an HMO plan, so you are restricted to seeing their physicians. However, just recently, S&W opened up to seeing patients with other insurance carriers (Blue Cross, Humana, United, etc). You may even be able to find a cheaper plan through one of those providers.

I don't remember if I mentioned but that plan I talked about earlier (the one my family and I have) is one of the more expensive plans S&W offers. My point is, I think there are cheaper options than the one offered through the school. However, I think Sean mentioned he has one of the plans through the school and has been fairly happy with it. I think his premium was under $100, but I have no idea of what the specifics of that policy are. Just one more puddle of crap to wade through before we get going...ha. Sorry if I am being confusing at all.

no, not confusing at all! thanks for the info!

I just wanted to make sure...does the school offer a student discount for software? I didn't really want to shell out the cash for Microsoft Office or whatever else if I end up getting a tablet.

i have a question for all the computer junkies in here. I bought a HP tabletPC online about 6 months ago. It's booted with Vista. If i want to upgrade it to Windows 7, would i have to just buy any Windows 7 upgrade, or would there be a special tablet edition or something i have to buy. Also, would i have to ask HP for all the tablet software in Windows 7 edition? I guess would that be the same if i want to downgrade to XP? I'm just not a fan of Vista. I'm still using my work laptop that has XP professional due to my hate of Vista.

Hey army, do you think there is something like a tabletPC edition of Windows 7? i only ones i could find on MS's website is Home, Pro, and Ultimate.

My main concern is that if i upgrade to Windows 7, would the tablet hardware still be recognized, or would i have to use my tablet without the pen capability?

I will look at Win7 when I get home (I have it on my desktop) but I know that it specifically says something like "No input device detected," obviously in reference to a tablet input device.

Here's a screen shot (notice the pen and touch part):
win7.jpg

Last edited:
So apparently, it's business attire for day one of orientation for us M1s-to-be.

Curious as to whether we should absolutely consider this a coat-and-tie affair, or if their "business attire" is also slacks and a coat sans tie.

Little thing, I know.

I will look at Win7 when I get home (I have it on my desktop) but I know that it specifically says something like "No input device detected," obviously in reference to a tablet input device.

Here's a screen shot (notice the pen and touch part):
win7.jpg

that makes sense. Thanks for the info.

So apparently, it's business attire for day one of orientation for us M1s-to-be.

Curious as to whether we should absolutely consider this a coat-and-tie affair, or if their "business attire" is also slacks and a coat sans tie.

Little thing, I know.

Yea, i was thinking the same thing. They missed an important keyword between the word Business and Attire. I would imagine it is business casual as opposed to business professional, but what do i know. Also, i would rather overdress rather than underdress, and take off the tie and coat in case others are not wearing it, as opposed to being the only person without a tie in the class photo :D.

At the risk of outing myself, I have a problem.

I have ADD and I take a prescription for it. Other than that I have never needed, nor asked for any other kind of accomodation. I went to my doctor to get my physical/health form signed and under the statement about my having any disorders or disabilities that may hinder my ability to be a physician, he put ADD.

I am concerned about the wording of that statement. It sounds like by writing ADD, the doctor is saying he thinks my ADD could prevent me from being a good physician. I guess that is possible, though I doubt it. Regardless, I am concerned that I might have problems from the school because of this. Is there any chance of me having my acceptance rescinded because of this disclosure?

Is there any chance of me having my acceptance rescinded because of this disclosure?

In my entirely unprofessional opinion, I'd say no. Would imagine that lots of ADD physicians have come this way before you, and many more will come this way after you.

Hell, ADD is a requirement for most emergency physicians. :)

Deferring to Sean, Mulls, CPA, or any others here who can give a more substantiated answer.

And speaking of Sean / Mulls / CPA: is the going advice still that we need all the books that Dr. Chen requests in his anatomy lab welcoming letter -- Clinically Oriented Anatomy, Netter's, Embryo, another one that escapes me?

And on the equipment thing, is it still that we should just get a damn good stethoscope but can skip out on buying the rest?

Little thing, I know.

The business attire requirement is simply because of ID photos. Yes, you do want to look professional, as in coat and tie. Since we didn't do ours until Thursday of orientation, and it was all we did on Thursday, everyone showed up in coat, tie (or female equivalent), shorts, and flip-flops!:laugh: It was amusing, to say the least. If you want, throw some casual clothes in a bag, and change after your photo. No biggie.

I have ADD and I take a prescription for it. Other than that I have never needed, nor asked for any other kind of accomodation. I went to my doctor to get my physical/health form signed and under the statement about my having any disorders or disabilities that may hinder my ability to be a physician, he put ADD.

I am concerned about the wording of that statement. It sounds like by writing ADD, the doctor is saying he thinks my ADD could prevent me from being a good physician. I guess that is possible, though I doubt it. Regardless, I am concerned that I might have problems from the school because of this. Is there any chance of me having my acceptance rescinded because of this disclosure?

Absolutely not. You could, in fact, get special treatment under ADA.;) Don't sweat it in the least. As I've stated before, I take meds for anxiety and depression now days, and I'm happy for people to know that so they don't feel alone or afraid to talk about things.

And speaking of Sean / Mulls / CPA: is the going advice still that we need all the books that Dr. Chen requests in his anatomy lab welcoming letter -- Clinically Oriented Anatomy, Netter's, Embryo, another one that escapes me?

And on the equipment thing, is it still that we should just get a damn good stethoscope but can skip out on buying the rest?

Clinically oriented anatomy - I'll send you the pdf of the "blue boxes" that were copied for us last year. PM me. You can also send them to your whole class and be a hero.

Netter's - you absolutely need, BUT 1) you can get one for free during orientation for filling out a credit card offer application and 2) by no means does it have to be a current edition.

Embryo - I have a pdf of that text that I'm happy to send you. You can also pick one up for cheap, or borrow one from the LRU.

Stethoscope - we were told not to spend less than $100 for it. You won't need it for the first semester though. You will need to buy the rest, but hold off on it. Again, my recommendation for this stuff is eBay, eBay, eBay, and Craig's List!!! I cannot emphasize enough that unless you have very deep pockets, you should not pay retail for ANYTHING for med school!!

exi - I don't think I'm your buddy, but pm me and we'll see. ;)

I actually called and asked about the medical form a while back. I think the purpose of the form is for information only so that if you have problems at some point they can be aware of any mitigating factors. They won't use it against you so relax.

ADD in no way inhibits someone from meeting the requirements to complete a medical curriculum. The physician I shadowed who wrote my letter of recommendation for medical school admissions has ADD and takes prescription meds for it. Trust me - you'll never hear anything else about that on the form.

Last edited:
Why didn't I hear anything about a beer night in College Station? Or a whiskey night? Don't tell me all the wild folks landed in Temple this year?

anyone activate their account with their UIN? i keep getting No Account was found. error.

You can call the registrar's office to get the UIN. The number is on the teal sheet that talks about registration for parking. Not that it will do you much good. Our information "isn't in the A&M system yet," etc, etc. Not sure any of us will get a place to park on the A&M campus - other than out with the freshmen - or any financial aid this year at the rate we're going, but we can keep our fingers crossed.

You can call the registrar's office to get the UIN. The number is on the teal sheet that talks about registration for parking. Not that it will do you much good. Our information "isn't in the A&M system yet," etc, etc. Not sure any of us will get a place to park on the A&M campus - other than out with the freshmen - or any financial aid this year at the rate we're going, but we can keep our fingers crossed.

CS thing? The only teal sheet that comes to mind was the buddy match form in the first packet, and that was more of a... cerulean.

CS thing? The only teal sheet that comes to mind was the buddy match form in the first packet, and that was more of a... cerulean.

haha yeah, i think it's a CS thing. it's for parking permits on the west side of campus.

:laugh: i like your attitude. i feel the same way

Ah, you Temple people don't get the coveted teal sheet, huh? I had to look up cerulean. I honestly wouldn't know if I got a sheet that color or not. I also got a letter in the mail today with my UIN. Like I said, though, not really usable just yet.