Texas A&M Accepted for Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
by the looks of it, Chappell creek looked much newer/nicer than Chappell hill. But like you said...Hill is pretty nice itself. When i went to go see those 2 complexes...i saw the rent at Creek, and turned the other way almost immediately :D.

:laugh: It is pretty pricey, yes.

So, is anyone just not getting a tablet PC?

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh: It is pretty pricey, yes.

So, is anyone just not getting a tablet PC?

Thanks for stopping by my TTU thread to say hello, I thought I'd return the favor. :) I hope you're getting excited and I'm still SO happy for you!

TAMU - looks like you have a great class of 2013!! Enjoy College Station if that's where you're going, I just left last week and I really do miss it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for current students, when does M2 year finish? how much time do you get to study for the step, and how much time after that do you have off before M3 start? I am asking because I am trying to see if I can squeeze my wedding in that time period. Thanks!

Question for current students, when does M2 year finish? how much time do you get to study for the step, and how much time after that do you have off before M3 start? I am asking because I am trying to see if I can squeeze my wedding in that time period. Thanks!

For us, we will end May 3 and have 6 weeks to study, then almost immediately start M3. Your schedule, based on the new curriculum schedule, may be completely different. You are MUCH better off doing it next summer, after the M1 year, when you will have 2 1/2 months of blissful boredom!!:cool:

For us, we will end May 3 and have 6 weeks to study, then almost immediately start M3. Your schedule, based on the new curriculum schedule, may be completely different. You are MUCH better off doing it next summer, after the M1 year, when you will have 2 1/2 months of blissful boredom!!:cool:

CPA, how large are those things you were talking about sending? Maybe I can scheme up a way to get 'em sans flash drive.

CPA, how large are those things you were talking about sending? Maybe I can scheme up a way to get 'em sans flash drive.

Sorry, been busy. They range from 11 to 53MB. The 11MB file, obviously, is not the problem.:rolleyes: I can probably get those in email, but the biochem is the 53MB file. It's a no-go via email.

Sorry, been busy. They range from 11 to 53MB. The 11MB file, obviously, is not the problem.:rolleyes: I can probably get those in email, but the biochem is the 53MB file. It's a no-go via email.

How about rapidshare.com?

You should definitely accept the full amount the first semester (or year). Use this time to refine your budget and see how much money it takes to live on. From there, you can adjust the amount you take out the coming years.

My thought is at first, it would be better to take out too much money rather than not enough. You can always use the left overs in coming semesters and take out less at that time.
This is true, but also keep in mind that the money you take out in the first semester will count the most against you in the end. So if you get to a point in the fall where you know you're not going to use it all, you can turn around and pay some of it right back. In the long run it could save you several hundred bucks or even a grand or two if you keep an eye on your budgeting and the amount you have left.

still can't seem to activate my NetID... anybody else having the same problem? The "No Account Was Found" message keeps appearing... hm.....

Thanks guys for all the loan advice. I freaked out yesterday! I was trying to get everything squared away and my loan was rejected! Turns out it was a typo on TAMHSC's part...graduating in 2013...not 2031!

I noticed someone asked a couple of days ago if anybody is just not going to buy the tablet PC. I really don't want to, I would like to hold onto my macbook, but if I'm going to be the only one in the class without one I will feel like an idiot. Is anybody else not planning on getting one?

I noticed someone asked a couple of days ago if anybody is just not going to buy the tablet PC. I really don't want to, I would like to hold onto my macbook, but if I'm going to be the only one in the class without one I will feel like an idiot. Is anybody else not planning on getting one?

That was me! You know, much as I'm fighting it, I just might spring for the tablet. If we have a bunch of PDF notes, I'd much rather be able to scribble on the notes within OneNote than print everything out and have billions of papers around.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah I didn't want to "taint" my Macbook by using a parallel...so I think I'm going to get the tablet.

I'm not getting a tablet. I might get Microsoft OneNote software, but not a tablet.

how come nobody is listening to the current ms1's and ms2's about not really having to have a tablet.

how come nobody is listening to the current ms1's and ms2's about not really having to have a tablet.
Haven't you heard? We're gonna be doctors! No need to worry about money, ever.

We're listening. I don't currently have a laptop and need to buy one regardless; I'm just unsure as to whether I would like using a tablet, is all.

It is clear, if one looks at the previous discussions, that the tablet is stated as unnecessary. However, due to the fact that the curriculum is changed this year and there is the possabillity that other things are changed this year, there is a slight chance that for the first time in A&M HSC history "required" means actually, "REQUIRED." If this is the case I will buy a tablet at that time of reckoning.
Exi, If you are really strapped for cash, I'd just hold off, get to know Rachel, Donna or the Curriculum manager, and then ask them one to one, "off the record, hey is this tablet thing for real", and then they will spill the beans probably.

Since you don't have a laptop however and you have a little extra cash, there are $1000 tablets out there, might as well get one. I am referring to the 1000 dollar fujitsu at Frys.com. I have a regular laptop already so I am going to wait.

I just talked to several actual medical students here earlier in the week and they all said that A TABLET IS NOT REQUIRED. I didn't buy one and am perfectly happy with the laptop I have. Have no intention of buying one :)

I'm not getting one. Have zero problem with looking like an idiot. I'd rather have my $2,000 or whatever they want for that thing.

Hey, just moved into my new place in Temple. Any word of a get-together?

Hey, just moved into my new place in Temple. Any word of a get-together?

You might want to check the facebook group. There's a discussion of maybe something going on next week. Everybody seems to busy or out of town this week. But I'm here!

So now that we've got a book list... any thoughts on what's REQUIRED required?

For me, I'm searching Amazon and eBay, mostly looking at the prior edition of books because they cost 1/4 of the latest and greatest. DO NOT go overboard on books. You won't generally have time to read them anyway. Go mostly for the BRS and other review books that are required/recommended, and one or two others that you might like to keep long-term.

Any BYU grads or LDS M1s? I went to church today and found out that I am the only one.

i have sort of a dumb question, but is this list a book list for the first year or first two years? i'm still not completely sure which classes we are taking in what order...

i have sort of a dumb question, but is this list a book list for the first year or first two years? i'm still not completely sure which classes we are taking in what order...

That's the thing. It's apparently an integrated curriculum, so it's going to be, well, exactly that. Or such is my assumption; I'm thinking I'll take CPA up on the BRS-and-odds-and-ends approach to text buying, because I sure as hell don't want to pile a bunch of books in my room and never read them.

That's the thing. It's apparently an integrated curriculum, so it's going to be, well, exactly that. Or such is my assumption; I'm thinking I'll take CPA up on the BRS-and-odds-and-ends approach to text buying, because I sure as hell don't want to pile a bunch of books in my room and never read them.
What's BRS?

Any BYU grads or LDS M1s? I went to church today and found out that I am the only one.

There's an M2 who is both. PM me if you want his name (if you don't already know him!)

I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on the student health insurance plan offered by A&M? Also, the dental/vision insurance vs. the discount card?

The student health insurance plan at A&M is a rip off. Premiums are high for somebody unlikely to need anything other than primary care visits. I would look at the Scott and White plan for medical students. That's what I'm getting. The premiums for the Scott and White plan are less than half that for the A&M plan. I do not believe Scott and White does dental though - they do have optometrists/ ophthalmologists.

i'm scared now :(

Totally normal. Just remember that admissions committees are VERY good at selecting people who possess the ability to make it through medical school. It is now in the school's best interest to see you through, because educating a medical student is an expensive endeavor. Just try (try!) to relax and enjoy these last few weeks of freedom.

So far I haven't picked up a laptop/tablet yet. Still no where near sold on the tablet. I might buy an HP in the 700-750 range, but for the money I'd rather buy a high quality laptop. The students I tt or emailed all say the tablet function isn't "needed."

Either way, planning on moving to Chappell Hill in Temple next week and can't wait for this to get started. As an nontrad, it took a long time to get here. Woop!
Tim

According to my available award amount, i can take out
Subsidized Stafford $8,500
Unsubsidized Stafford $26,799.

What is the interest rate at which interest is accruing? (And is that the same thing as compounding?) From what someone posted somewhere, the interest rate is different each year, and the most the first year. So how much does all this add up to leading up to graduation, assuming that I take out the full amount for the next 4 years?

Look what i found. Don't know how to use it, though.
http://www.collegeanswer.com/financing/lt_financial_planning/ltfp_accint.jsp

as you can tell, i'm a procrastinating idiot with no experience in the real world who's been spoiled by his rich parents all his life but now is being ripped away from the udder of sustainence and now am find myself being thrown/ cast to the wolves that is the real world. and now i'm feeling really lost, scared, and uncertain. so there: it's out there, i confess. time to grow up, but it feels like there's no time for anything right now, and medical school hasn't even started. i'm in over my head, my spinning head.

too many emoticons to choose from. feels like the maze of options to pay for school. if only it was as easy as selecting the appropriate emoticon.

What is the interest rate at which interest is accruing? (And is that the same thing as compounding?) From what someone posted somewhere, the interest rate is different each year, and the most the first year. So how much does all this add up to leading up to graduation, assuming that I take out the full amount for the next 4 years?

as you can tell, i'm a procrastinating idiot with no experience in the real world who's been spoiled by his rich parents all his life but now is being ripped away from the udder of sustainence and now am find myself being thrown/ cast to the wolves that is the real world. and now i'm feeling really lost, scared, and uncertain. so there: it's out there, i confess. time to grow up, but it feels like there's no time for anything right now, and medical school hasn't even started. i'm in over my head, my spinning head.

too many emoticons to choose from. feels like the maze of options to pay for school. if only it was as easy as selecting the appropriate emoticon.
I'll take a crack at some of these questions, but you ought to talk to someone in financial aid.

Interest on subsidized loans does not accrue while you're in school. You should always take out the full amount in subsidized loans. Even if you didn't need it, you could invest it someplace and earn interest. It's FREE MONEY.

As far as I know, the unsubsidized accrues interest at a fixed rate. All I said earlier is that because you're taking the loan out earlier, more interest will accrue on it because it's been out for the longest. I believe the rate right now is 6.8%. (at least that's what it was for my loans last year for grad school)

Compounding means that you take the interest and add it to the "principle" (the actual loan amount) and now the interest is accruing interest. I'm not sure if this happens monthly or yearly. It could be done continuously, but that would require calculus I think.

Don't worry, this is how I felt last year. You'll be a pro on paying for school sooner than you think! I would definitely call up the financial aid office, though.

the current rate is 6.8%. you can usually consolidate your loans at a much lower rate once you get out of school and into repayment, though.

I'm not sure exactly how those loans work, but my private loans from undergrad only lumped interest in once -- when I went into repayment. I believe that's called capitalizing, though, not compounding.

As you already know...you dont have to worry about the interest on the subsidized loan until you graduate. The amount you owe after 4 years on the subsidized is equal to the amount of subsidized loan you borrowed. For unsubsidized loans, you start owing the interest as soon as they disburse the money. If you cant make the interest only payment...they'll tag the interest onto the amount you owe. So by the time you graduate...if you didnt make any payments on the interest (as most of us wont have the luxury to do so), the amount you owe will be more than the amount you borrowed. Like many said..the interest rate is fixed at 6.8% per year for graduate school students.

I made a spreadsheet a while back to help me with determining how much loans i should take and how much would i owe back during the start of repayment. This spreadsheet assumes that you make no payments during the time you are in school.

I'll attach the spreadsheet on here for anyone who's interested. I think it should be pretty accurate. There should be highlighted rows that you will need to fill. At the very bottom, it will show how much you borrowed, how much interest did you accrue during the 4 years, and how much total do you owe back after 4 years.

This might also explain why if taking a $20,000 first year, and $30,000 second year is better than $30,000 first year, and $20,000 second year. In the end, you should take as much as you want, but if one of the reasoning is...i'll just take the max first year and just use the remaining for next year, you'll end up paying more in interest.

hope this helps.

Attachments

• Loan_Estimate.xls
    30.5 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
As you already know...you dont have to worry about the interest on the subsidized loan until you graduate. The amount you owe after 4 years on the subsidized is equal to the amount of subsidized loan you borrowed. For unsubsidized loans, you start owing the interest as soon as they disburse the money. If you cant make the interest only payment...they'll tag the interest onto the amount you owe. So by the time you graduate...if you didnt make any payments on the interest (as most of us wont have the luxury to do so), the amount you owe will be more than the amount you borrowed. Like many said..the interest rate is fixed at 6.8% per year for graduate school students.

I made a spreadsheet a while back to help me with determining how much loans i should take and how much would i owe back during the start of repayment. This spreadsheet assumes that you make no payments during the time you are in school.

I'll attach the spreadsheet on here for anyone who's interested. I think it should be pretty accurate. There should be highlighted rows that you will need to fill. At the very bottom, it will show how much you borrowed, how much interest did you accrue during the 4 years, and how much total do you owe back after 4 years.

This might also explain why if taking a $20,000 first year, and $30,000 second year is better than $30,000 first year, and $20,000 second year. In the end, you should take as much as you want, but if one of the reasoning is...i'll just take the max first year and just use the remaining for next year, you'll end up paying more in interest.

hope this helps.
Wow, that spreadsheet is awesome. Has it been posted to the yahoo group?

To Exi

No, I interviewed pretty early, July or August I think it was.

To CPA

I have met him I think. Unless there is more than one.

Re: Laptop.

I have one of the new macbook (aluminum unibody). I love it. I have windows on it as well, together with OneNote which I use constantly. I plan, unless I am forced to do otherwise, to keep my current set up. My previous notebook was a tablet, here are my thoughts.

Tablets in the classroom are good for one thing...handwriting. Since most people can type faster than they can write, then as far as speed is concerned, a regular notebook is better for notetaking as long as the notes being taken are text only. As a chemistry major, being able to draw graphs, tables, write formulas, math problems, etc. in my notes was invaluable. However, in classes where most of the notes were text, I never used the tablet function. When my tablet pooped out on me my senior year, and since all my classes from that point on were philosophy classes, I went with the mac and have never missed the tablet feature.

Bottomline, the tablet feature has a very limited feature.

I do love OneNote though. Definitely recommend it. With it you don't have to print out the note pages, just print them into OneNote (from PDF or .doc format) and annotate them with keyboard or stylus (if you get the tablet). That's what I do. Print the slides into onenote then type notes into the margins. You can search the notes, and edit them later with virtually no hassle.

I still have yet to see the benefit for having a tablet in medical school. I understand that they say "we want you to be versed in the latest technology" but really...after 4 years of undergrad, including the vast dog and pony show that is the medical school application process, plus the 4 years we will spend in medical school, they are worried that it will take us more than 15 seconds to learn how to...write with a pen?

Fail.

Re: Laptop.

I have one of the new macbook (aluminum unibody). I love it. I have windows on it as well, together with OneNote which I use constantly. I plan, unless I am forced to do otherwise, to keep my current set up. My previous notebook was a tablet, here are my thoughts.

Tablets in the classroom are good for one thing...handwriting. Since most people can type faster than they can write, then as far as speed is concerned, a regular notebook is better for notetaking as long as the notes being taken are text only. As a chemistry major, being able to draw graphs, tables, write formulas, math problems, etc. in my notes was invaluable. However, in classes where most of the notes were text, I never used the tablet function. When my tablet pooped out on me my senior year, and since all my classes from that point on were philosophy classes, I went with the mac and have never missed the tablet feature.

Bottomline, the tablet feature has a very limited feature.

I do love OneNote though. Definitely recommend it. With it you don't have to print out the note pages, just print them into OneNote (from PDF or .doc format) and annotate them with keyboard or stylus (if you get the tablet). That's what I do. Print the slides into onenote then type notes into the margins. You can search the notes, and edit them later with virtually no hassle.

I still have yet to see the benefit for having a tablet in medical school. I understand that they say "we want you to be versed in the latest technology" but really...after 4 years of undergrad, including the vast dog and pony show that is the medical school application process, plus the 4 years we will spend in medical school, they are worried that it will take us more than 15 seconds to learn how to...write with a pen?

Fail.
I think there's a little more the stylus will give you. In anatomy and ESPECIALLY histology, I found being able to actually draw arrows and circle things in the slides very helpful. When a histo slide comes up, you can't exactly type into your notes "the cell with a condensed nucleus 3 from the right in the upper left corner is a such and such". Well, I guess you could, but it woudn't be nearly as easy as just circling the cell and labeling the thing.

Sorry for the subject change, but step1 scores came back today for my class. To give you an idea of the step 1 prep you will be getting, only 1 of 8 scores I've heard so far was BELOW 240 with a high of 269.

Everyone here made a good decision on the school they are attending because we were prepared extremely well!

Looking forward to meeting some of you soon in Temple.

I think there's a little more the stylus will give you. In anatomy and ESPECIALLY histology, I found being able to actually draw arrows and circle things in the slides very helpful. When a histo slide comes up, you can't exactly type into your notes "the cell with a condensed nucleus 3 from the right in the upper left corner is a such and such". Well, I guess you could, but it woudn't be nearly as easy as just circling the cell and labeling the thing.

right, you can't circle or highlight without a tablet, but with onenote you can click on the area of the slide and type the label.

Bottom line (revised) if handwriting/labeling/circling/highliting is worth buying a tablet then go for it.

Sorry for the subject change, but step1 scores came back today for my class. To give you an idea of the step 1 prep you will be getting, only 1 of 8 scores I've heard so far was BELOW 240 with a high of 269.

Everyone here made a good decision on the school they are attending because we were prepared extremely well!

Looking forward to meeting some of you soon in Temple.

wow..NICE!

I think it's a safe assumption that you're one of the ones who's score was above 240. CONGRATS!

btw..what range was the <240 in?