Texas A&M Accepted for Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone heard from financial aid yet........

Members don't see this ad.

i called yesterday and the person i spoke to said we should hear "in a couple of weeks"...

Yeah, financial aid told me "in a couple of weeks" back in April. They've really botched up financial aid this year. From what I've heard, most other medical schools in Texas have already taken care of business on financial aid for their students. I hope this isn't an indication of how they will handle other matters throughout our four years. If so, they really need to shape up.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're telling me! Maybe you'd like to live there?:D
You wish! It's a bit out of my price range and I've already signed a lease of my own. But if it's as close to campus as you say I doubt it'll be vacant for very long.

Yeah, financial aid told me "in a couple of weeks" back in April. They've really botched up financial aid this year. From what I've heard, most other medical schools in Texas have already taken care of business on financial aid for their students. I hope this isn't an indication of how they will handle other matters throughout our four years. If so, they really need to shape up.

Financial aid lacks a bit in the communication department, but it will be there when you need it to be.

A page or 2 back someone said they had just gotten accepted to Baylor and now wondered what to do with their tablet they had odered...sounds like it's time to deal!

yeah that would be me.

First, im gonna check w/ baylor's IT department and see if they can support it.

M2s / anyone who knows, just how much time are we going to be spending on reports and presentations?

I ask because I saw the tablet PC "requirement" over on the Yahoo group, complete with IT mentioning that a notebook is required for, other than the usual stuff, "reports and presentations." Just wondering how much time is going to be spent on things other than the usual studying.

Seems like a pretty killer exam schedule, if the Class of 2012's academic calendar is any indication.

(Oh, and also: for you current students, how often did you actually benefit from having a tablet? I'm not sure I can bring myself to trade off a Vaio Z or MacBook or some such for that HP.)

Last edited by a moderator:
M2s / anyone who knows, just how much time are we going to be spending on reports and presentations?

I ask because I saw the tablet PC "requirement" over on the Yahoo group, complete with IT mentioning that a notebook is required for, other than the usual stuff, "reports and presentations." Just wondering how much time is going to be spent on things other than the usual studying.

Seems like a pretty killer exam schedule, if the Class of 2012's academic calendar is any indication.

(Oh, and also: for you current students, how often did you actually benefit from having a tablet? I'm not sure I can bring myself to trade off a Vaio Z or MacBook or some such for that HP.)

Virtually zero on reports and presentations. There was one presentation in biochem, but yours may be different with the new curriculum.

Ok, I'll say again...I LOVE my tablet. I have all my notes in one place, I can literally touch 4 times and find virtually any note I've taken all year. I'd say 1/2 our class still printed out all the notes and took notes on paper (including Sean), then lugged huge notebooks around, 1/4 used OneNote and typed all their notes on the pages rather than hand writing, and 1/4 used the tablet features.

Those are just guesstimates, but there were definitely people who did each method. It's all what you think you will do, which is hard to tell, because it is very different from anything you've ever done before.

Virtually zero on reports and presentations. There was one presentation in biochem, but yours may be different with the new curriculum.

Ok, I'll say again...I LOVE my tablet. I have all my notes in one place, I can literally touch 4 times and find virtually any note I've taken all year.

When I went through undergrad, I used a spiral and a trusty pen or three to do my note-taking. Worked wonderfully for me right up until a post-bac class in which I tried a notebook (Sony's Vaio Z540, a ~3.5 lb., 13" piece of sexy) with OneNote for the first time. Saw the benefit instantly, so I guess I need to go try a tablet before shelling out for that. :cool:

This might be answered earlier in the thread, so forgive me, but what exactly is the story with the "new curriculum" we're getting? How does it differ from its predecessor?

My apologies if I overlooked something.

When I went to A&M a week or so ago and spoke with Filo, it seemed as though they hadn't finalized the curriculum yet. They may have decided on what to teach, but not how and when (i.e. how to break it up and when exams and holidays should be).

That said, has anyone heard from A&M in regards to the "next step"? All I have received from A&M so far is the initial acceptance packet, the state residency form via email, and the packet with all those colorful forms (medical record, white coat form, apparel orders, M-2 buddy match, etc.). Is it the same story for all you (those who just came off wait-lists and those who have been accepted for a while)? I still don't have my student number or an A&M email account or on-line access to some special TAMHSC student site (webCT for A&M, I think). I haven't heard anything about financial aid/payments (a little scary considering we have a little more than a month). Plus, it would be nice indeed to have a basic layout of the up-coming year (i.e. the exam schedule) so I can plan ahead of time for Texans games :D. This is our year, and I don't want to miss it! :luck:

When I talked to Rachel a week back, she mentioned something about a second packet being mailed out soon...They might be holding off on this so that they can include our curriculum layout/exam schedule. I don't know. All she said about the "second packet" is that there would be another school-spirit accessories and apparel form with different items (T-shirt with different design, a coffee mug...). I just want to get all the paper-work and preliminary nonsense out of the way. This whole starting med school thing still seems surreal (or unreal...) to me, and getting through the clerical and prelim stuff and making the first payment will make all this seem more real (haha, although current students may advise that I shouldn't be in too much of a hurry to start med school).

On a completely different note, I can't believe Robert Gates was A&M's dean and president for a while. I had absolutely no idea. My dad mentioned it in passing so I had to look it up, and lo. For some reason, this was very exciting for me...Not so exciting is the controversy surrounding the ex-president's recent resignation. I cannot believe the politics involved in running a school. It all seems so petty...

On a completely different note, I can't believe Robert Gates was A&M's dean and president for a while. I had absolutely no idea. My dad mentioned it in passing so I had to look it up, and lo. For some reason, this was very exciting for me...Not so exciting is the controversy surrounding the ex-president's recent resignation. I cannot believe the politics involved in running a school. It all seems so petty...
I also had no clue about that until recently! He did his undergrad at William and Mary and spoke at commencement one year before mine in 2007.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I went to A&M a week or so ago and spoke with Filo, it seemed as though they hadn't finalized the curriculum yet. They may have decided on what to teach, but not how and when (i.e. how to break it up and when exams and holidays should be).

That said, has anyone heard from A&M in regards to the "next step"? All I have received from A&M so far is the initial acceptance packet, the state residency form via email, and the packet with all those colorful forms (medical record, white coat form, apparel orders, M-2 buddy match, etc.). Is it the same story for all you (those who just came off wait-lists and those who have been accepted for a while)? I still don't have my student number or an A&M email account or on-line access to some special TAMHSC student site (webCT for A&M, I think). I haven't heard anything about financial aid/payments (a little scary considering we have a little more than a month). Plus, it would be nice indeed to have a basic layout of the up-coming year (i.e. the exam schedule) so I can plan ahead of time for Texans games :D. This is our year, and I don't want to miss it! :luck:

When I talked to Rachel a week back, she mentioned something about a second packet being mailed out soon...They might be holding off on this so that they can include our curriculum layout/exam schedule. I don't know. All she said about the "second packet" is that there would be another school-spirit accessories and apparel form with different items (T-shirt with different design, a coffee mug...). I just want to get all the paper-work and preliminary nonsense out of the way. This whole starting med school thing still seems surreal (or unreal...) to me, and getting through the clerical and prelim stuff and making the first payment will make all this seem more real (haha, although current students may advise that I shouldn't be in too much of a hurry to start med school).

Starting at the end and working backwards...TAMHSC has its own administration and deans and president. Gates/Murano have nothing to do with the HSC. Our only link is through the chancellor, Mcsomeone. How bad of me. He spoke to us not long ago. Sadly forgetable. :(

The curriculum has been discussed in here. Basically, it's more coordinated and cohesive. Instead of separate biochem, physiology, anatomy, etc., it will be integrated, which will be a vast improvement.

The second round of paperwork is no big deal, even if they don't get it to you before orientation. That's what orientation is for, anyway, right? 15,000 papers to fill out!!! Also, you can bet that the online calendar for financial aid will hold true. The money will be there.

Enjoy your last 5 weeks of freedom!!!

TAMHSC just sent out an email about the new curriculum -- go take a look.

We have to study for NMBE exams over Christmas break???

+pissed+

it was refreshing to get SOMETHING from them after a very long time.

So is it safe to guess that:

BLOCK A = Gross Anat
BLOCK B = Histo
BLOCK C = Biochem, Genetics & Pharmacology
BLOCK D = Cell Physio

Or maybe Pharmacology is part of block D with physio? Not that it matters in the end anyways. :D

It's going to suck being put into 100% anatomy all the time for the first 6 weeks, because i suck more in memorization compared to conceptual information. Or maybe its a good thing that its done after 6 weeks.

Any MS>0 want to explain how the anatomy classes used to work? i remember them saying something about being in groups of 6 and only 2 ppl take the quizzes for each section. Is that true?

+pissed+

Yeah, seriously. I dunno...

it was refreshing to get SOMETHING from them after a very long time.

So is it safe to guess that:

BLOCK A = Gross Anat
BLOCK B = Histo
BLOCK C = Biochem, Genetics & Pharmacology
BLOCK D = Cell Physio

I thought it was an integrated approach so that nothing is purely any given subject (just anatomy, or just biochem, or just anything). I'm not making any assumptions, though I am curious to see what our academic calendar is going to look like now. Can't say I'm much a fan of what looks like NBME exams immediately after Christmas.

I thought it was an integrated approach so that nothing is purely any given subject (just anatomy, or just biochem, or just anything). I'm not making any assumptions, though I am curious to see what our academic calendar is going to look like now. Can't say I'm much a fan of what looks like NBME exams immediately after Christmas.

Oh yea, it does say its an integrated curricullum. I think i just read it way too fast. I wonder what the exam schedule will be like as well. Christmas break probably will suck, but i guess the extra time to study can only be good, right? :p

Any MS>0 want to explain how the anatomy classes used to work? i remember them saying something about being in groups of 6 and only 2 ppl take the quizzes for each section. Is that true?

I haven't seen the email about the new curriculum, so I can't comment. I can, however, say that most of the NBME (also known as shelf) exams are not as bad as the regular exams. You will be well prepared for them.

Anatomy groupings will probably stay the same. There are 6 people assigned to a "tank", with 4 in lab at any given time (set rotation). The 4 who are there teach the 2 who are not, and the 2 who were not in lab take the quiz at the beginning of the next lab period.

Anatomy groupings will probably stay the same. There are 6 people assigned to a "tank", with 4 in lab at any given time (set rotation). The 4 who are there teach the 2 who are not, and the 2 who were not in lab take the quiz at the beginning of the next lab period.

oh yeah, i remember you guys mentioning this before. if you wouldn't mind a couple more questions out of curiosity - when do you guys teach the other two? and do the 2 guys who weren't in lab that day consistently keep the same day off each week or is the day rotated?

oh yeah, i remember you guys mentioning this before. if you wouldn't mind a couple more questions out of curiosity - when do you guys teach the other two? and do the 2 guys who weren't in lab that day consistently keep the same day off each week or is the day rotated?

The teaching is done at the convenience of the group. Sometimes it happens right after lab, other times right before the next one. :eek: Technically there is one group of 2 that teaches the other group of 2, but it usually works out that the 4 teach the 2.

The pair out of the lab is rotated, so no pair gets the same day off all the time. That way, no pair gets Friday afternoons off all the time. ;) Trades are allowed to some extent.

From the TAMHSC COM website, it seems as though we are encouraged to get a phone with Windows Mobile 6.0 in order to properly connect with the WiFi on campus. I'm in the market for a new phone, but I am quite unimpressed with phones that have Windows Mobile (Also, I have a family plan with AT&T, and my parents want me to stay on it). I do like the Blackberry's a lot, but they have their own OS. Does anyone else have a Blackberry? If so, were you able to connect to the WiFi? What are some good PDA's to look at that are also compatible with TAMHSC's WiFi service? Thanks in advance for any advice.

so anyone not get health insurance yet? im a complete noob at this. anyone recommend anything? should i just go for the minimum coverage they talked about in the packet?

+pissed+

So... I should cancel the skiing trip I have planned for over Christmas? Any thoughts? I'd like to say I'd study on the slopes, but I doubt that would happen.

I thought that was pretty cool, but I was really impressed that the new president of the AMA is a faculty member at TAMHSC. http://www.ama-assn.org/ama1/pub/upload/mm/37/bio-rohack.pdf

I would love to hear a lecture from him. Any chances he'll still teach in these coming years?

From the TAMHSC COM website, it seems as though we are encouraged to get a phone with Windows Mobile 6.0 in order to properly connect with the WiFi on campus. I'm in the market for a new phone, but I am quite unimpressed with phones that have Windows Mobile (Also, I have a family plan with AT&T, and my parents want me to stay on it). I do like the Blackberry's a lot, but they have their own OS. Does anyone else have a Blackberry? If so, were you able to connect to the WiFi? What are some good PDA's to look at that are also compatible with TAMHSC's WiFi service? Thanks in advance for any advice.

That's the first I've heard of it. I'd pass on that one. Very little chance you'd do ANYTHING with it until 3rd year, and you can upgrade by then.;)

So... I should cancel the skiing trip I have planned for over Christmas? Any thoughts? I'd like to say I'd study on the slopes, but I doubt that would happen.

NO!! Do NOT cancel your plans. They made a point for us to have our breaks as stress-free as possible. Something will work out. As I said earlier, the NBME exams are generally easier than the regular exams, and depending on the course, are weighted the same or less than the regular exams.

I thought that was pretty cool, but I was really impressed that the new president of the AMA is a faculty member at TAMHSC. http://www.ama-assn.org/ama1/pub/upload/mm/37/bio-rohack.pdf

I would love to hear a lecture from him. Any chances he'll still teach in these coming years?

I'm sure he will still give a few lectures, as well as some informal meetings. The past president came down this past year and met with some of us as well. Dr. Rohack is a cardiologist at S&W in Temple. I think he's mostly involved with 3rd and 4th years. Even so, it's pretty cool.

I like to think of the entire A&M system like how I think of the United States. Both are comprised of different, semi-autonomous states/branches but are a part of and serve under the larger governing body, i.e. all branches/states must act according to the stipulations and by-laws set by the greater authority. All the states/branches have this one thing in common above everything else. Inasmuch, what affects one branch or state affects the whole in terms of reputation. For example, many countries around the world blame the U.S. for this and that, but don't make any special exceptions in this blame for...Montana, which probably has little say in the actions taken by the larger body or decisions made primarily by the representatives of larger, neighboring states. When California, Arizona, Illinois, Texas, or any other state does something unfavorably, the rest of the world says, "See. This is how the U.S. is."

While I know that Mr. Gates had nothing to do with TAMHSC in terms of decision making (and neither did Dr. Murano), it's great having his name associated with a branch of the A&M system as it helps aggrandize the "brand" of the A&M system as a whole. On the other hand, the controversies surrounding Dr. Murano hurts the name of the A&M system (especially since much of the controversy involves Chancellor McKinney, himself). This is why I was so excited when I learned of Mr. Gates' association with TAMU and kind of disheartened when learning about the Dr. Murano thing.

But this whole new AMA President development is also quite exciting (much like how Mr. Gates helps bring notoriety to A&M, so will Dr. Rohack). I think it's wonderful and much to A&M's benefit to have a network that reaches the upper levels of our government and the top level of a powerful (and, to us, pertinent) organization. Haha, all this reinforces the notion that I wisely picked TAMHSC COM as the med school to attend. It's also quite thrilling being on the forefront of this school's ambitious expansion projects, considering an abundance of the resources gained will benefit the students. The school's prestige and stature will naturally grow, as well. I know this school has great things in its future...I can't help but imagine what it will look like in ten years time!

Last edited:
Someone mentioned getting a phone, if that's a requirement it's news to me. Regarding the curriculum, DON'T cancel your winter plans. If indeed y'all do have to study for the NBMEs over break, don't freak because you WILL be well prepared.

On an unrelated note, I'm posting this from a friend's iPhone and while really cool it's a pain to type this out.

I like to think of the entire A&M system like how I think of the United States. Both are comprised of different, semi-autonomous states/branches but are a part of and serve under the larger governing body, i.e. all branches/states must act according to the stipulations and by-laws set by the greater authority. All the states/branches have this one thing in common above everything else. Inasmuch, what affects one branch or state affects the whole in terms of reputation. For example, many countries around the world blame the U.S. for this and that, but don't make any special exceptions in this blame for...Montana, which probably has little say in the actions taken by the larger body or decisions made primarily by the representatives of larger, neighboring states. When California, Arizona, Illinois, Texas, or any other state does something unfavorably, the rest of the world says, "See. This is how the U.S. is."

While I know that Mr. Gates had nothing to do with TAMHSC in terms of decision making (and neither did Dr. Murano), it's great having his name associated with a branch of the A&M system as it helps aggrandize the "brand" of the A&M system as a whole. On the other hand, the controversies surrounding Dr. Murano hurts the name of the A&M system (especially since much of the controversy involves Chancellor McKinney, himself). This is why I was so excited when I learned of Mr. Gates' association with TAMU and kind of disheartened when learning about the Dr. Murano thing.

But this whole new AMA President development is also quite exciting (much like how Mr. Gates helps bring notoriety to A&M, so will Dr. Rohack). I think it's wonderful and much to A&M's benefit to have a network that reaches the upper levels of our government and the top level of a powerful (and, to us, pertinent) organization. Haha, all this reinforces the notion that I wisely picked TAMHSC COM as the med school to attend. It's also quite thrilling being on the forefront of this school's ambitious expansion projects, considering an abundance of the resources gained will benefit the students. The school's prestige and stature will naturally grow, as well. I know this school has great things in its future...I can't help but imagine what it will look like in ten years time!

Dr. Nancy Dickey, president of TAMHSC, is also a past-president of the AMA. In fact, she was the first female president of the AMA. It's a pretty entrenched kind of thing at the school.

On an unrelated note, I'm posting this from a friend's iPhone and while really cool it's a pain to type this out.

dont worry, you get a lot faster as you learn.

Someone mentioned getting a phone, if that's a requirement it's news to me. Regarding the curriculum, DON'T cancel your winter plans. If indeed y'all do have to study for the NBMEs over break, don't freak because you WILL be well prepared.

The website doesn't say it's required (haha, I don't want to restart the whole tablet debate for cell phones). They just recommend the Windows Mobile 6.0 OS for cell phones (which only certain phones can support) because they can actually connect to the WiFi at school. I am a habitual web-surfer (on my cell phone) for news, sports, and email. When I'm on campus, I don't want to wait for 5 minutes for a single webpage to load. I'd like to have a phone that's just as fast at school as it is at home. But I don't like most of the Windows Mobile phones offered by AT&T. I just wanted to know if people were able to connect to the campus network that didn't have a Windows Mobile phone. That said, Sean, was the iPhone connected to the network on campus? I think it's quite impressive that the iPhone can handle a forum like SDN. It definitely does have the best web browser I've come across, but I don't like the keyboard set-up...I like having a real keyboard, not a virtual one.

Dr. Nancy Dickey, president of TAMHSC, is also a past-president of the AMA. In fact, she was the first female president of the AMA. It's a pretty entrenched kind of thing at the school.

Again, this is something I didn't know. Why didn't they share this stuff at our interview? I'm sure the school takes pride in placing its administrative bodies and faculty in high positions around the country, but damn, they should tell us so we can get excited about it. It's also sweet that A&M was a part of something historical like that (first female AMA Prez). AWESOME! If you can't tell, I'm getting more and more pumped about starting at A&M! :D

Again, this is something I didn't know. Why didn't they share this stuff at our interview? I'm sure the school takes pride in placing its administrative bodies and faculty in high positions around the country, but damn, they should tell us so we can get excited about it. It's also sweet that A&M was a part of something historical like that (first female AMA Prez). AWESOME! If you can't tell, I'm getting more and more pumped about starting at A&M! :D

A relatively small number of physicians are actually members of the AMA, and it is seen as a largely political organization these days. While it is prestigious and all, it also generates a fair bit of negative publicity. I think that A&M just tries to stand on the merits of the school as a whole, rather than the credentials of a few individuals. :cool:

I know it'll be there when we need it, but I was just wondering if anyone's heard from the financial aid office yet.

A relatively small number of physicians are actually members of the AMA, and it is seen as a largely political organization these days. While it is prestigious and all, it also generates a fair bit of negative publicity. I think that A&M just tries to stand on the merits of the school as a whole, rather than the credentials of a few individuals. :cool:

Well, I still think it's fantastic that A&M has these ties (negative publicity or not, the AMA is quite powerful and, whether or not you agree with the AMA, it still is potent advocacy group for physicians). I've read through Dr. Rohack's agenda, and I find him to be quite level-headed and his policy stances to be favorable for doctors and for fixing the state of our health-care system. I think he's more receptive to the reform ideas of the new administration...this might help clear some of the bad air associated with the AMA. In any case, I clearly didn't base my decision to attend A&M off of its relation to Mr. Gates, Dr. Rohack, or Dr. Dickey, considering I didn't even know about any of this until after I made my decision. Point being, A&M was able to impress me without this information (but on the merits of the school, as you said it). This other information is just the cherry on the top of an already delicious ice cream sundae. :)

I know it'll be there when we need it, but I was just wondering if anyone's heard from the financial aid office yet.

Have you joined that Yahoo group? We got instructions on how to find and join the group in our packet, the one with the colorful forms. There is a great post of an email someone received from the financial aid office in response to a student's inquiry. The gist of it is that they are switching to a web-based, paperless system for award acceptances and account management so just bear with them. Apparently, they can't credit our accounts until we are officially enrolled anyway (which will happen during orientation), meaning we still have plenty of time to take care of financial aid stuff before school starts. You should definitely join that group and read through that posted email; it was really helpful.

can any current med students suggest a private lender?

Have you joined that Yahoo group? We got instructions on how to find and join the group in our packet, the one with the colorful forms. There is a great post of an email someone received from the financial aid office in response to a student's inquiry. The gist of it is that they are switching to a web-based, paperless system for award acceptances and account management so just bear with them. Apparently, they can't credit our accounts until we are officially enrolled anyway (which will happen during orientation), meaning we still have plenty of time to take care of financial aid stuff before school starts. You should definitely join that group and read through that posted email; it was really helpful.

I have, and I think I remember seeing that, but I haven't read all of the financial aid posts in detail yet -- guess that would be a smart thing to do.

for those of you living at the presidio, what are the utility companies that you use (gas/electric, cable, etc.)? also, any recommendations for good furniture companies in that area?

for those of you living at the presidio, what are the utility companies that you use (gas/electric, cable, etc.)? also, any recommendations for good furniture companies in that area?
there's a Denver Mattress/whatever else pretty close by in Harker Heights

I feel like my life is in slow motion right now with a sweet vacation and school on the horizon. For those of you moving to Temple, when are you planning on doing so?

I feel like my life is in slow motion right now with a sweet vacation and school on the horizon. For those of you moving to Temple, when are you planning on doing so?
must be nice. time is flying by here. I'm sure the difference is that you actually don't mind time passing.

I'm planning on moving to temple on the 21st or 22nd of July. Maybe get used to the city a bit or hang out with ppl already there before orientation starts.

I'm planning on moving to temple on the 21st or 22nd of July. Maybe get used to the city a bit or hang out with ppl already there before orientation starts.

I'm game. Planning on being in Temple about then -- at least a week pre-orientation.

I'm going a bit earlier. First weekend of July. I'm a spazz and want to make sure everything is set up before orientation.

can any current med students suggest a private lender?

The only lender that I have found that will do non-school cert private loans is Wells Fargo. I need non cert loans because I am married with 3 kids, so the COA is insufficient for us.

My move-in date in Temple is 7/23.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my joy of being accepted this morning via e-mail! I was ecstatic about 3 hours ago, and now I'm thinking "holy crap, I have to find housing, do financial aid, choose a campus, look at laptop requirements, plan a move date all before August 3, etc..."

Granted, some great problems to have, but also extremely stressful. In any case, I can't really decide between living at CS for four or CS+RR for 2+2. And, from scanning the post, I don't see a lot of chatter about RR. Does anybody have any opinions or experiences with the 2+2 program or with RR?

Thanks!

Sam

That is great news. Good for you.