Texas A&M Accepted for Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I signed up for a 1/1 at Chappell Hill over Spring Break back in March and was put on a waiting list. I just found out 2 weeks ago that they found me a place, so if you're seriously thinking about Chappell Hill, you should contact them and get on that list.

That being said, it's a great apartment complex. Gated entrance. Pool seems nice. Overall feel of the joint is good. Rooms are spacious and relatively new and well kept.

The Bridge is very close to Scott and White and a rec center so that's a plus. The units seemed equally as nice as Chappell Hill, but if I remember the rent was a tad higher. After looking at around 6 places, The Bridge and Chappell Hill were my top two choices.

I found some places that were under $600 and in the $500 range, but I didn't find them to have very good units/location, and an extra $100 a month was worth it in my opinion to get a place I really liked. I mean... it's just loans anyway right?

can you suggest any other aparments that you looked at? my budget will be in the range of $500-600/mo. i dont care if the units are old. but i need a place that is quiet, affordable, and preferably close to the school.

Members don't see this ad.

everything in Temple is close to the school. it's not a very big city. at most you may have a 10 minute commute in next-to-nonexistant traffic.

When I first moved to Temple I lived in the Glen Apartments, which is about 1/2 mile down Scott Blvd from S&W. http://www.rent.com/rentals/texas/bell-county/temple/the-glen-apartments/485558/

I want to say my sister used to live in these apartments (The Bluff). http://www.thebluffs-apartments.com/
My mom lives practically across the street, and it takes her less than 5 minutes to get to work at S&W from here. Just jump on the loop and drive ~2.5 miles

everything in Temple is close to the school. it's not a very big city. at most you may have a 10 minute commute in next-to-nonexistant traffic.

When I first moved to Temple I lived in the Glen Apartments, which is about 1/2 mile down Scott Blvd from S&W. http://www.rent.com/rentals/texas/bell-county/temple/the-glen-apartments/485558/

I want to say my sister used to live in these apartments (The Bluff). http://www.thebluffs-apartments.com/
My mom lives practically across the street, and it takes her less than 5 minutes to get to work at S&W from here. Just jump on the loop and drive ~2.5 miles

i heard the glen apts get a little loud.

will check out the bluff apts. but i wanna stay w/in biking distance. that way i can save money on transportation and get some exercise in the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know what orientation week is like... lots of activities? any classes yet? all day? just starting to plan my move and wondering if there would be time that week to shop for furniture, get settled, or if i should move in a few days before orientation... thanks!

does anyone know what orientation week is like... lots of activities? any classes yet? all day? just starting to plan my move and wondering if there would be time that week to shop for furniture, get settled, or if i should move in a few days before orientation... thanks!

If you look back, we put this in detail a couple of pages ago, but I would try to move in a few days early. While most of it is low-key, there is testable material on Wednesday. It's a lot of getting to know you, policies and procedures, etc. For us, Thursday was picture day (nothing else) and Friday was the optional ropes course (which I opted out of without regret).

It's just better to have that done so you aren't stressing about it as well, because you will be stressed about school!!!;)

i heard the glen apts get a little loud.

will check out the bluff apts. but i wanna stay w/in biking distance. that way i can save money on transportation and get some exercise in the process.
Glen definitely isn't the nicest place ever. The average income in Temple is probably pretty low, and houses are cheap, so folks who take up residence in apartments in Temple are either very economically disadvantaged, students, or new to Temple. that mixture of folks can tend to make pretty poor neighbors. overall we had no problem with the Glen though.

Ok, I feel like I am rambling a bit, but in re-reading your post, it seems like these two schools are about on equal footing with one another. I'm assuming since you are holding 2 acceptances right now that you probably interviewed at most the Texas schools. You may have had different experiences, but the A&M students I encountered were the most benign of the schools I went to. So for me, the combination of $100,000 difference in debt, great student body, great faculty, not having to live in Nebraska, having a great educational (classroom) experience, and having the ability to rotate through S&W would seal the deal for me....not that I'm biased or anything. :D

Good luck with your decision. It's a tough one, but keep trying to hash it out, and you will figure it out.

DrTLA, I actually went back to College Station and spoke with Mr. Maldonado, and they also gave me a personal tour with 2 M-1's. I needed to make sure A&M had equal footing with Creighton, not only in terms of academics but also the educational environment. So, here's my analysis, using your own words, more or less: Both Creighton and Texas A&M have a "great student body, great faculty," offer "a great educational (classroom) experience," and provide great clinical training. Plus, living in Omaha isn't that bad because you're surrounded by a caring student body, and even the locals are friendly (to a brown man, such as myself...in fact, I befriended locals just chillin' at a bar with current M-1's *the students bought me drinks after my interview, and much drunkenness ensued all-around*). Creighton itself is in downtown Omaha, which by most standards, is laughable, but still it has a downtown feel (taller buildings, night-life, slightly more upscale restaurants and apartments, etc.). I lived in up-town Boston (known as the Back-Bay/Fenway area) while at BU, so I would feel right at home in Omaha. Plus, I detest the heat, and I love the cold and the snow. But location cannot be an end-all factor in determining which medical school to attend; this decision is too important for that (otherwise, who the hell would want to go to WashU or Hopkins?). So, you said it best, and it comes down to cost. In which case, Aggieland wins! Thanks for your input; I can't wait to meet you and the rest in med school!!! I can't believe I'm about to do this, but "Whoooop!"

I answered your questions in bold.

Sean, Sean, Sean, what can I say? You have been incredible and incredibly helpful. Thank you so much for bearing with my insolent questioning. You answered those questions favorably (towards A&M of course). As you may have read above, I paid A&M another visit the other day...yesterday in fact, and Mr. Maldonado and Dr. Fallon answered my questions very well (haha, it was more like I was interviewing them). In addition, the students during the tour gave me a positive impression of the school. They even said that the M-2's are very helpful (but not exceedingly so as in the case of Creighton, a Catholic school). The facilities at CS (and the fact that we will have a brand new campus next year) truly impressed me. All the good things I hear about Scott and White are something to take into consideration. Mr. Maldonado gave me most of the statistical data I had requested and a program list for the match from the last 4 years, and A&M's match, which does seem to be based on regional preference, is quite impressive (I saw an ENT match at Barnes-Jewish...wow). So in the end, Creighton and A&M seem quite similar in terms of the education which the students procure and the environment in which they study. So, as stated above, it comes down to cost. Sean, thank you again for all your answers and your consideration. Haha, you even attempted to answer questions which would require reading my mind and predicting the future (the questions in the second paragraph would be ones I would ask myself when picking a school...and I did not expect you to answer them). Still, I appreciate it. :)

I am now quite excited to be joining you at the TAMHSC College of Medicine :D, and I reluctantly accept the title....*gulp* Aggie (I am a sports nut, and I grew up a Longhorns fan...sorry; I mean no disrespect...but it's like a Yankess/BoSox thing, you know). Anyway, I cannot wait to see everybody at CS and, in 2 years, in Temple! Have a great summer, Sean!

P.S. I joined the A&M facebook group last night, and from certain comments posted, I think I know who you are.

Sean, as always, did a great job of answering the questions. The only thing I would add...as far as the grading, not only are there no curves, there is no rounding. An 89.99 is a B, a 69.99 is an F. :(

Also, people handle the pressures of medical school differently, and it is important to know UP FRONT that it is ok, even good, to ask for help with any sort of issue. We have had some students who were suffering alone due to shame? insecurity? whatever. Anyway, I will say up front that I did not handle the transition too well, and I am a charter member in the Lexapro fan club!:)

Cpa, I am assuming you were a business major/accountant? It's always heartening to hear success stories from those who met a little academic adversity. In fact yours is a story that serves as a compelling argument to attend A&M because it seems like A&M provides a safety net to students who might need a little help to get by. My student interviewer at Creighton was a history major (as was I...hmm, this may have played a part in my acceptance there...). And unlike me, he was a history guy that chose to do medicine (whereas I'm a science guy that chose history). While I found history courses to be a challenge as an undergrad, my interviewer said he had a lot of trouble adjusting to med school (and now he's an M-4). I needed to hear a testimonial like this one from A&M so I had a basis of comparison with Creighton. I mean, the situation stinks, I'm sure, but it seems like you're doing alright now, which is good. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts and your honesty! I do really appreciate it. Take care, man, and have a great summer! :)

Last edited:
DrTLA, I actually went back to College Station and spoke with Mr. Maldonado, and they also gave me a personal tour with 2 M-1's. I needed to make sure A&M had equal footing with Creighton, not only in terms of academics but also the educational environment. So, here's my analysis, using your own words, more or less: Both Creighton and Texas A&M have a "great student body, great faculty," offer "a great educational (classroom) experience," and provide great clinical training. Plus, living in Omaha isn't that bad because you're surrounded by a caring student body, and even the locals are friendly (to a brown man, such as myself...in fact, I befriended locals just chillin' at a bar with current M-1's *the students bought me drinks after my interview, and much drunkenness ensued all-around*). Creighton itself is in downtown Omaha, which by most standards, is laughable, but still it has a downtown feel (taller buildings, night-life, slightly more upscale restaurants and apartments, etc.). I lived in up-town Boston (known as the Back-Bay/Fenway area) while at BU, so I would feel right at home in Omaha. Plus, I detest the heat, and I love the cold and the snow. But location cannot be an end-all factor in determining which medical school to attend; this decision is too important for that (otherwise, who the hell would want to go to WashU or Hopkins?). So, you said it best, and it comes down to cost. In which case, Aggieland wins! Thanks for your input; I can't wait to meet you and the rest in med school!!! I can't believe I'm about to do this, but "Whoooop!"

Sean, Sean, Sean, what can I say? You have been incredible and incredibly helpful. Thank you so much for bearing with my insolent questioning. You answered those questions favorably (towards A&M of course). As you may have read above, I paid A&M another visit the other day...yesterday in fact, and Mr. Maldonado and Dr. Fallon answered my questions very well (haha, it was more like I was interviewing them). In addition, the students during the tour gave me a positive impression of the school. They even said that the M-2's are very helpful (but not exceedingly so as in the case of Creighton, a Catholic school). The facilities at CS (and the fact that we will have a brand new campus next year) truly impressed me. All the good things I hear about Scott and White are something to take into consideration. Mr. Maldonado gave me most of the statistical data I had requested and a program list for the match from the last 4 years, and A&M's match, which does seem to be based on regional preference, is quite impressive (I saw an ENT match at Barnes-Jewish...wow). So in the end, Creighton and A&M seem quite similar in terms of the education which the students procure and the environment in which they study. So, as stated above, it comes down to cost. Sean, thank you again for all your answers and your consideration. Haha, you even attempted to answer questions which would require reading my mind and predicting the future (the questions in the second paragraph would be ones I would ask myself when picking a school...and I did not expect you to answer them). Still, I appreciate it. :)

I am now quite excited to be joining you at the TAMHSC College of Medicine :D, and I reluctantly accept the title....*gulp* Aggie (I am a sports nut, and I grew up a Longhorns fan...sorry; I mean no disrespect...but it's like a Yankess/BoSox thing, you know). Anyway, I cannot wait to see everybody at CS and, in 2 years, in Temple! Have a great summer, Sean!

P.S. I joined the A&M facebook group last night, and from certain comments posted, I think I know who you are.

Cpa, I am assuming you were a business major/accountant? It's always heartening to hear success stories from those who met a little academic adversity. In fact yours is a story that serves as a compelling argument to attend A&M because it seems like A&M provides a safety net to students who might need a little help to get by. My student interviewer at Creighton was a history major (as was I...hmm, this may have played a part in my acceptance there...). And unlike me, he was a history guy that chose to do medicine (whereas I'm a science guy that chose history). While I found history courses to be a challenge as an undergrad, my interviewer said he had a lot of trouble adjusting to med school (and now he's an M-4). I needed to hear a testimonial like this one from A&M so I had a basis of comparison with Creighton. I mean, the situation stinks, I'm sure, but it seems like you're doing alright now, which is good. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts and your honesty! I do really appreciate it. Take care, man, and have a great summer! :)

I was going to suggest going back to one of the campuses, but thought distance may be an issue. Whatever you had decided to do probably would have been the right choice for you....especially considering how much research you were putting in to it. Of course, I think you made the right choice. :) I know how you feel becoming an Aggie....I went to UT and am one of the most die hard Longhorn fans you will meet. Me and Sean may have to duke it out on Thanksgiving (although we both know what team will win).

Anyways, I'm glad you'll be coming back to Texas. Maybe God will smile on you and El Nino will bring cool weather for 4 years for you. Have fun with your move, and we will see you here in about a month. Congrats again!

Anyways, I'm glad you'll be coming back to Texas. Maybe God will smile on you and El Nino will bring cool weather for 4 years for you.
Don't count on it. :p

Okay, so silly me, I can't seem to find a Facebook group for '13. Where, oh where, did it go?

Thank you for all of your kind words. I'm glad I was able to be of help to you, it's exactly why I joined this website and love representing A&M. Congratulations on your decision, it wasn't an easy one I'm sure but I hope you have a sense of peace surrounding the whole thing. It'd be hard leaving Boston, I love that city and wish it wasn't so expensive to live there, or I'd be there for residency no doubt.

Add me on facebook too. Feel free to ask any more questions as things come up (textbooks, study suggestions, etc.)

So I've been invited to sing the National Anthem at a Rangers game on August 14th. (a Friday) I can't imagine there'd be tests 2 weeks into the year, but does anyone think there could be quizzes? How detailed is the academic calendar at this point?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I've been invited to sing the National Anthem at a Rangers game on August 14th. (a Friday) I can't imagine there'd be tests 2 weeks into the year, but does anyone think there could be quizzes? How detailed is the academic calendar at this point?

Is it a night game?

The only calendar I have doesn't have anything regarding tests on it....only holidays.

Awesome! You should be good. Other than anatomy lab, there's not usually anything on Friday afternoons. You can trade with someone if you're in lab. Quizzes are at the start of lab, at 1, so you'll have plenty of time to get there.

Even if you have a test on Monday (which is not likely), Friday night won't kill you. Have fun!:)

Awesome! You should be good. Other than anatomy lab, there's not usually anything on Friday afternoons. You can trade with someone if you're in lab. Quizzes are at the start of lab, at 1, so you'll have plenty of time to get there.

Even if you have a test on Monday (which is not likely), Friday night won't kill you. Have fun!:)
Awesome! Thanks.

They're playing Boston, so the crowd should be a good size. I'm just hoping my quartet gets the call for the playoffs, too!:)

can you suggest any other aparments that you looked at? my budget will be in the range of $500-600/mo. i dont care if the units are old. but i need a place that is quiet, affordable, and preferably close to the school.

Hmmm... It was a while ago, but I looked at

Echo Station - they were very new and the kitchens were big, but there was no place to put a dining room table. I don't remember about the rent though.

The Glen - Not a very nice place, but passable. I think they'll be doing some improvements this coming year under new management. Super close to Scott and White. Probably not bike-able because it's across the highway. Rent is cheap.

I also looked at one other one that was right next to the Bridge, but I don't remember much other than it was similar in price and value to the Bridge. Chappell Hill was the first apt. that I looked at and I knew it was the one, so I didn't look at too many beyond that... just enough to confirm my bias:D

Awesome! Thanks.

They're playing Boston, so the crowd should be a good size. I'm just hoping my quartet gets the call for the playoffs, too!:)

Can I come lip sing with you guys?

Hmmm... It was a while ago, but I looked at

Echo Station - they were very new and the kitchens were big, but there was no place to put a dining room table. I don't remember about the rent though.

The Glen - Not a very nice place, but passable. I think they'll be doing some improvements this coming year under new management. Super close to Scott and White. Probably not bike-able because it's across the highway. Rent is cheap.

I also looked at one other one that was right next to the Bridge, but I don't remember much other than it was similar in price and value to the Bridge. Chappell Hill was the first apt. that I looked at and I knew it was the one, so I didn't look at too many beyond that... just enough to confirm my bias:D
FWIW, Glen is not across the highway. You just take Scott Blvd across 31st to get to S&W.

I just remembered that Sean lives behind S&W, somewhere like around 5th. That's a pretty close place within biking distance of school. Look for places across the loop from the mall, east of S&W

Mac fans, would it be silly of me to switch over to a Mac at this stage of the game?

I've been a PC but thinking about going Mac for awhile, and my understanding is that the tablet PC thing is not really a requirement, but a laptop for exams is.

Was kind of wanting to go with a MacBook and/or iMac these days instead of my usual build-my-own Vista/Windows 7 at home.

Mac fans, would it be silly of me to switch over to a Mac at this stage of the game?

I've been a PC but thinking about going Mac for awhile, and my understanding is that the tablet PC thing is not really a requirement, but a laptop for exams is.

Was kind of wanting to go with a MacBook and/or iMac these days instead of my usual build-my-own Vista/Windows 7 at home.

It's never too late to switch to a Mac! :D

Seriously though, I would consider it. I don't have to tell you that Macs are much more reliable than PCs, and for med school purposes, reliability is everything. I'm a Mac user and I'll never switch back.

Awesome! Thanks.

Congrats! That should be fun.

Drop that thing like a bad habit...save the cash and enjoy yourself this last month and a half.

Belated, but is there any good reason for me finishing that course? If I withdraw, it will be the only W on my transcript through years of classes. That bugs me for some reason.

But of course, a little less to do right now in my world would be a wonderfully welcome thing.

Belated, but is there any good reason for me finishing that course? If I withdraw, it will be the only W on my transcript through years of classes. That bugs me for some reason.

But of course, a little less to do right now in my world would be a wonderfully welcome thing.

Ok, this is just my take, but I don't see any reason for you to stay in that course. You may be different than me, but I would have absolutely zero motivation to study, etc, due to the peice of paper that says I was accepted to medical school. Remember, the only reason you were taking that course in the first place was to do what you have already achieved....getting into school. If you are worried about it, I would call someone at A&M just to double check...but you obviously have the requirements to get in already, otherwise they wouldn't have accepted you.

Take the money you saved by dropping out and go to the beach, take a roadtrip somewhere, play golf everyday, or drink as much good beer as humanly possible...thats what I would do! Don't forget you need to get your rear end to Temple to find and apartment too!!!!

I just read over this and realize I sound like an old man. I think we have already established 27 isn't old, but something about having a baby makes you feel aged. Hope everyone has a good day today.

thanks to those who responded but it looks like ill be in houston for med school. i got an offer from baylor yesterday.

now i have to figure out what to do w/ the laptop that i ordered. :confused:

Ok, this is just my take, but I don't see any reason for you to stay in that course. You may be different than me, but I would have absolutely zero motivation to study, etc, due to the peice of paper that says I was accepted to medical school.

Yeah, that's basically me. I'm so burned out right now, it's not even funny.

question for those of you in CS- what is the best airport to be flying in/out of? Houston? if so, are there any sort of shuttles that will take you there or do you usually have to drive and pay for parking there?

also, is it worth it to pay a little more and fly into the airport in CS?

question for those of you in CS- what is the best airport to be flying in/out of? Houston? if so, are there any sort of shuttles that will take you there or do you usually have to drive and pay for parking there?

I would think it's worth it to go through Easterwood (CS's airport), yeah. Just my $0.02.

When I came from Boston for my interview, the round-trip ticket to Houston was $700+, and the round-trip ticket to College Station/Easterwood with a connection in Houston was ~$370...that was an easy call for me. It's definitely a case-by-case thing and depends on when you buy the ticket, how many days before your intended day of departure you buy the ticket, and the travel season (peak or off) in which you intend to travel. Just go to Orbitz.

Continental is usually a safe bet (since there are 4 flights or so in and out of CS and Houston is a major hub for it). I think American and Delta fly into CS, too, but Delta sucks big time and you would have to connect in Atlanta or something out of the way and American connects through Dallas (biggest, busiest airport in TX = more chance of delays). I think there is a shuttle from Houston Intercontinental to CS, or there used to be, and if it still runs and the ticket to Houston is much cheaper than the ticket to CS, then I would suggest flying to Houston and taking the shuttle. I mean, I would rather get to CS sooner than wait at the airport for the next plane to CS.

Also, Easterwood is located like probably less than half a mile from the med campus, so it's pretty convenient in case you do fly directly to CS. It's a pretty tiny airport, but it does have 2 gates that are used for even the really small jets. What's awesome is when you fly out of CS, if you show up like an hour before your flight, that's probably too early. I really like small airports, especially when they're located like 5 minutes from where you live...no lines, less time waiting, usually a friendlier staff, and, sometimes, it's cheaper because the airlines want to fill up seats on planes going to less population destinations.

I hope this helped a little. :)

When I came from Boston for my interview, the round-trip ticket to Houston was $700+, and the round-trip ticket to College Station/Easterwood with a connection in Houston was ~$370...that was an easy call for me. It's definitely a case-by-case thing and depends on when you buy the ticket, how many days before your intended day of departure you buy the ticket, and the travel season (peak or off) in which you intend to travel. Just go to Orbitz.

Continental is usually a safe bet (since there are 4 flights or so in and out of CS and Houston is a major hub for it). I think American and Delta fly into CS, too, but Delta sucks big time and you would have to connect in Atlanta or something out of the way and American connects through Dallas (biggest, busiest airport in TX = more chance of delays). I think there is a shuttle from Houston Intercontinental to CS, or there used to be, and if it still runs and the ticket to Houston is much cheaper than the ticket to CS, then I would suggest flying to Houston and taking the shuttle. I mean, I would rather get to CS sooner than wait at the airport for the next plane to CS.

Also, Easterwood is located like probably less than half a mile from the med campus, so it's pretty convenient in case you do fly directly to CS. It's a pretty tiny airport, but it does have 2 gates that are used for even the really small jets. What's awesome is when you fly out of CS, if you show up like an hour before your flight, that's probably too early. I really like small airports, especially when they're located like 5 minutes from where you live...no lines, less time waiting, usually a friendlier staff, and, sometimes, it's cheaper because the airlines want to fill up seats on planes going to less population destinations.

I hope this helped a little. :)

very helpful... thanks everyone! i also came from boston last year, but didn't even think of easterwood as an option... but will be moving from CA next month and it's looking like easterwood is about $150 more...

Wait... so if you just wanted to go to Houston you could've saved $330 by "missing" your flight to College Station?

very helpful... thanks everyone! i also came from boston last year, but didn't even think of easterwood as an option... but will be moving from CA next month and it's looking like easterwood is about $150 more...

Hmm, now I can see from where the origin of your SDN screen name might have come... To be accurate, you may want to change it to "sea2sea2gulf." Actually, nevermind; that doesn't have as nice of a ring to it, and the part of the Houston area that's associated with the gulf is Galveston Bay *shudders*. Galveston might be nice and all, but the beaches....:hungover: Where in Boston did you go to school? I'm an ex-Terrier myself.

Anyhoo, that's quite a conundrum. What I would do is see if there still is a shuttle from IAH to CS. If not, then find out how much it would cost for a one-way rental from the cheapest car rental company for the cheapest car they have (if you're coming alone without too much luggage). See if that's any cheaper. Otherwise, I would just fly directly there; I don't know how else to do it because there is no other easy method for getting there (taxi will probably cost ~$150 anwyay, there's no train or public transport, etc.). Sorry :(.

Wait... so if you just wanted to go to Houston you could've saved $330 by "missing" your flight to College Station?

Yes, but when you skip a "segment" of your flight (and this is probably true with all airlines), the rest of your ticket is scrapped as well, and I needed to get back to Boston. I already knew about this rule so I didn't try it, but I did have a couple of friends who learned this the hard way. Let this be a warning to you, too, lest you be stranded on a return flight at some point in the future. What you can do [and what I usually do] is, when you have to fly one-way, buy the round-trip ticket because, more often than not, for big city destinations, the round-trip ticket is cheaper, and just skip the return flight or use this segment to fly back at a later time if plans change or to another place (a flight change fee might apply but is usually less than the cost of a new ticket). Haha, I sound like the disclaimer guy.

Hmm, now I can see from where the origin of your SDN screen name might have come... To be accurate, you may want to change it to "sea2sea2gulf." Actually, nevermind; that doesn't have as nice of a ring to it, and the part of the Houston area that's associated with the gulf is Galveston Bay *shudders*. Galveston might be nice and all, but the beaches....:hungover: Where in Boston did you go to school? I'm an ex-Terrier myself.

Anyhoo, that's quite a conundrum. What I would do is see if there still is a shuttle from IAH to CS. If not, then find out how much it would cost for a one-way rental from the cheapest car rental company for the cheapest car they have (if you're coming alone without too much luggage). See if that's any cheaper. Otherwise, I would just fly directly there; I don't know how else to do it because there is no other easy method for getting there (taxi will probably cost ~$150 anwyay, there's no train or public transport, etc.). Sorry :(.

Yes, but when you skip a "segment" of your flight (and this is probably true with all airlines), the rest of your ticket is scrapped as well, and I needed to get back to Boston. I already knew about this rule so I didn't try it, but I did have a couple of friends who learned this the hard way. Let this be a warning to you, too, lest you be stranded on a return flight at some point in the future. What you can do [and what I usually do] is, when you have to fly one-way, buy the round-trip ticket because, more often than not, for big city destinations, the round-trip ticket is cheaper, and just skip the return flight or use this segment to fly back at a later time if plans change or to another place (a flight change fee might apply but is usually less than the cost of a new ticket). Haha, I sound like the disclaimer guy.

haha, yes, maybe it is time for a screen name update :) i was also at BU (though for a master's program and not undergrad). the shuttle looks like it would be a good compromise; i think online it said 25.99 which is cheaper than cab fees i have paid before.

i have another question which might be a little silly, but how cold does it get in CS in the fall/winter? are fleeces/winter jackets/scarves, etc. necessary?

haha, yes, maybe it is time for a screen name update :) i was also at BU (though for a master's program and not undergrad). the shuttle looks like it would be a good compromise; i think online it said 25.99 which is cheaper than cab fees i have paid before.

i have another question which might be a little silly, but how cold does it get in CS in the fall/winter? are fleeces/winter jackets/scarves, etc. necessary?

CS will not be like Boston. ;) Most days in the winter are highs in the 50s. There will be 1 or 2 chilly days - CS had a touch of snow this past year (meaning it snowed one day and was 70 the next). Most people get by with a hoodie, maybe a pair of gloves, and maybe a scarf for windy days. No parkas required - a jacket...maybe, particularly if it has a zip-out lining.

where is that second packet they told us 3 weeks ago that was gonna be delivered to us within the next 2 weeks? other than the first packet, i havent heard anything from a&m at all. meanwhile, other med schools have issued out badges/accounts/financial aid/etc. what's the deal?

where is that second packet they told us 3 weeks ago that was gonna be delivered to us within the next 2 weeks? other than the first packet, i havent heard anything from a&m at all. meanwhile, other med schools have issued out badges/accounts/financial aid/etc. what's the deal?
I called and talked to Rachel Hohlt early last week about an address change, and she said they were printing up labels for the packets and so was glad I called. I'm really surprised they still haven't been sent yet.

So for our Hep B series immunization, we just need to show that we've started the series, right?

So for our Hep B series immunization, we just need to show that we've started the series, right?

For now. They will pester you later on for the titer, etc.

Stupid question, but these two packets... what's coming? I guess the first one is immunizations and whatnot, but what else should I be looking forward to this week?

And dammit, I'm really thinking about going with the 13" MacBook Pro, external monitor for home, and a Time Capsule for a router / backup. I've got a Vista license for Boot Camp, so the testing requirement should be satisfied. I wonder if I'd miss OneNote or regret not having tablet functionality...

I wonder if I'd miss OneNote or regret not having tablet functionality...
In my experience tablet functionality can be substituted for by just printing out all the powerpoints and writing on them. The one subject that this is really necessary for is histology, where you actually have to circle and label slides in the powerpoint presentation. Though this may just be personal preference.

so basically the advantage of purchasing the HSC recommended tablet seems to be the services they offer for the 3 years... if something happens to my computer, i would hate to have to deal with the headache of bringing it to a store and paying extra for it when i could just take it to IT and have them take care of it. however, i missed the deadline to order from IT so i will probably have to pay full price.

while i'm sure i would be able to purchase a cheaper (yet comparable) tablet than the HP, to me, paying a little more for the convenience of the services offered by IT seems to be worth it... any thoughts?

so basically the advantage of purchasing the HSC recommended tablet seems to be the services they offer for the 3 years... if something happens to my computer, i would hate to have to deal with the headache of bringing it to a store and paying extra for it when i could just take it to IT and have them take care of it. however, i missed the deadline to order from IT so i will probably have to pay full price.

while i'm sure i would be able to purchase a cheaper (yet comparable) tablet than the HP, to me, paying a little more for the convenience of the services offered by IT seems to be worth it... any thoughts?

A page or 2 back someone said they had just gotten accepted to Baylor and now wondered what to do with their tablet they had odered...sounds like it's time to deal!

Stupid question, but these two packets... what's coming? I guess the first one is immunizations and whatnot, but what else should I be looking forward to this week?

And dammit, I'm really thinking about going with the 13" MacBook Pro, external monitor for home, and a Time Capsule for a router / backup. I've got a Vista license for Boot Camp, so the testing requirement should be satisfied. I wonder if I'd miss OneNote or regret not having tablet functionality...

I have a macbook and I still use one note. It is still good for printing pdf's into the note page and annotating via text.

I don't know if this question has been addressed yet, but is there any workout facilities in the Temple campus that are free to students?

I don't know if this question has been addressed yet, but is there any workout facilities in the Temple campus that are free to students?

Nope. S&W has its own insurance plan, credit union, EMS system, and helicopter fleet, but no gym.

There are gyms that are in the $20/month range, though.

Does A&M require parents' financial information on the FAFSA? I'm apparently an independent for their purposes, but I don't know if I should still include all that. Not sure it would help matters.

Does A&M require parents' financial information on the FAFSA? I'm apparently an independent for their purposes, but I don't know if I should still include all that. Not sure it would help matters.

I've never heard such a thing. I'd leave it off unless they specifically ask for it.

Can anyone who lives in College Station comment on the cable/internet options available? I've heard that Suddenlink isn't so great from somebody. Also have heard of Verizon and AT&T as options.

Hey everybody. If anyone is looking for a 1 bedroom apartment in Bryan/College Station, let me know. It is at Royal Oaks Gardens Apartments and very nice at around $730 a month with cable and internet included. Washer and drier in unit. Free gym membership to Aerofit. Not far from campus. On the bus route. And best of all: quiet. Right now, I am on the hook for the entire lease if someone doesn't sign a new lease. So please, if you are looking for an apartment, look at this one. Thanks!

Hey everybody. If anyone is looking for a 1 bedroom apartment in Bryan/College Station, let me know. It is at Royal Oaks Gardens Apartments and very nice at around $730 a month with cable and internet included. Washer and drier in unit. Free gym membership to Aerofit. Not far from campus. On the bus route. And best of all: quiet. Right now, I am on the hook for the entire lease if someone doesn't sign a new lease. So please, if you are looking for an apartment, look at this one. Thanks!
:eek: Whoa. You can't break the lease at all? That's awful!