Starting to regret going to an osteopathic school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shinken said:
Are you talking about administering OMM to people to make them feel better?

Or are you talking about the evidence-based, scientific practice of prescribing a week's worth of antibiotics to people with viral infections such as the flu or ear aches secondary to flu?

Just wondering which sham you're referring to.

I was talking about the commonly acknowledged need for a sham condition in future research designs for OMT efficacy. There is a need to differentiate the effect of simply touching a patient from applying an OMT treatment. This need is due to the fact that touching a patient tends to make the patient feel a repore with the physician, which tends to improve their mood and make them feel better.

I definitely advocate touching patients, and I am in favor of anything that improves the situation of the patient. However, it is necesary to show that applying an OMT modality has an efficacy that is distinct and greater than the simple act of touching the patient. I would imagine this is why the sham condition is now commonly used in the current OMT research models.

That is the sham I was refering to. I was also making light of what seems to me as a greater desire to bill for service, than to conduct further clinical research on the subject.

Giving antibiotics to somebody with a viral infection is irresponsible and doesn't have anything to do with EBM, but it does have a lot to do with giving a placebo to placate the patient.There are distinctive symptoms to differentiate b/w viral and bacterial infection. The positive outcomes for treating bacterial infections with antibiotics are well documented.

Members don't see this ad.

daveyboy said:
I wuv you, smurfette. :laugh:

i wuv u 2, of course. twuly. :love:

(Thats a really good point about the sham, btw. At first I thought you were talking about something else)

Members don't see this ad :)
To come to Medic170's defense, I too have worked in healthcare for 7 years (mostly as a Paramedic) and to think that we have no experience in the inner workings of healthcare shows how naive you are. Just because someone does not have the first hand experience of sitting through a class or the MS1/OMS1 behind their name does not put them in a lower class experience wise. All members of the healthcare team have a different view of the healthcare system, with those on the bottom often having the best (or worst view depending on your point of view) as **** roles down hill. Talk to many nurses, PT's, RT's and EMS providers and see what thier views are before you jump all over someone for asserting their experience for the benefit of others.

Having over 100,000 patient contacts as I have accured puts me, I feel, in a better position than most MS1's. Well I do not have the knowledge base of a current medical student (which I hope to soon develop), I still have some knowledge (the only difference between allied health training and medical degree is the length of your differential diagnosis, JK :) I know there is more but that was pointed out to me by a good physician friend this morning) to make a decision between what works and what doesn't. Spend some time talking to pateints and getting their input. This was my motivation for pursuing osteopathy was the reaction of pts and nurses who held many DO's (at least here in LV) in a higher regard. Not because of their training, but because the were more personable and actually took the time to talk to them , leaving them with a greater sense of satisfaction in the care they recieved. Does OMM have much sound research into its scientific benefit, no. But does much of modern medicine? They call it a practice for a reason. But anything that helps a patient with minimal to no side effects is a tool to have and use. And besides, an S-class wil be a nice change from my current vehicle. :D

Look guys, I know ya'll are all excited about being med students next year, but the first thing you need to do is loose the superior attitudes. I am no 22 year old who's done nothing but sit through science lectures. Medicine is my second career. I've worked in health care for 4 years and...grew up in a medical family, which, one could argue, is actually a combined total of 31 years of experience! WOW! That makes me the best medical student ever! The fact is, people in the allied health sciences usually do worse in medical school (academically) than people who have strictly science backgrounds. Maybe it's because typical pre-meds don't go into med school with a chip on their shoulders and are an open book to the experiences that med school has to offer. At first you guys are gonna think you're hot sh1t because you know how to take a BP or know what hypertensive means or whatever. But, you're gonna find that actual med school is way more bogged down in minutia than the "big picture" clinical medicine you're used to. First two years of school (first year, at least. You see, I know this for certain because I actually am a first year) are about as far away from clinical medicine as you can imagine. Unless you think glycolysis and the development of the morula are the height of clinical medicine - then you should be in great shape! The point that everyone is trying to make to you is not that your experience in medicine is not valid, but that actually sitting your ass in school is different than being a pre-med. I thought I knew what school was going to be like - and it surprises me everyday. How horrible and challenging and all consuming and occasionally beautiful it all is. It is unlike anything you've ever done before, I assure you.

Regardless, it's really boring to try and convey this point to you guys, since you already know everything there is to know about medicine. I will say, though, in parting, that humility is a wonderful quality that will endear you to patients and others.

Post again this time next year and see if what I'm saying is true...I think you'll be surprised.

Elysium said:
Look guys, I know ya'll are all excited about being med students next year, but the first thing you need to do is loose the superior attitudes. I am no 22 year old who's done nothing but sit through science lectures. Medicine is my second career. I've worked in health care for 4 years and...grew up in a medical family, which, one could argue, is actually a combined total of 31 years of experience! WOW! That makes me the best medical student ever! The fact is, people in the allied health sciences usually do worse in medical school (academically) than people who have strictly science backgrounds. Maybe it's because typical pre-meds don't go into med school with a chip on their shoulders and are an open book to the experiences that med school has to offer. At first you guys are gonna think you're hot sh1t because you know how to take a BP or know what hypertensive means or whatever. But, you're gonna find that actual med school is way more bogged down in minutia than the "big picture" clinical medicine you're used to. First two years of school (first year, at least. You see, I know this for certain because I actually am a first year) are about as far away from clinical medicine as you can imagine. Unless you think glycolysis and the development of the morula are the height of clinical medicine - then you should be in great shape! The point that everyone is trying to make to you is not that your experience in medicine is not valid, but that actually sitting your ass in school is different than being a pre-med. I thought I knew what school was going to be like - and it surprises me everyday. How horrible and challenging and all consuming and occasionally beautiful it all is. It is unlike anything you've ever done before, I assure you.

Regardless, it's really boring to try and convey this point to you guys, since you already know everything there is to know about medicine. I will say, though, in parting, that humility is a wonderful quality that will endear you to patients and others.

Post again this time next year and see if what I'm saying is true...I think you'll be surprised.

I'm DrMaryC, and I approve this message. :thumbup:

Medicfletch said:
To come to Medic170's defense, I too have worked in healthcare for 7 years (mostly as a Paramedic) and to think that we have no experience in the inner workings of healthcare shows how naive you are. Just because someone does not have the first hand experience of sitting through a class or the MS1/OMS1 behind their name does not put them in a lower class experience wise. All members of the healthcare team have a different view of the healthcare system, with those on the bottom often having the best (or worst view depending on your point of view) as **** roles down hill. Talk to many nurses, PT's, RT's and EMS providers and see what thier views are before you jump all over someone for asserting their experience for the benefit of others.

Having over 100,000 patient contacts as I have accured puts me, I feel, in a better position than most MS1's. Well I do not have the knowledge base of a current medical student (which I hope to soon develop), I still have some knowledge (the only difference between allied health training and medical degree is the length of your differential diagnosis, JK :) I know there is more but that was pointed out to me by a good physician friend this morning) to make a decision between what works and what doesn't. Spend some time talking to pateints and getting their input. This was my motivation for pursuing osteopathy was the reaction of pts and nurses who held many DO's (at least here in LV) in a higher regard. Not because of their training, but because the were more personable and actually took the time to talk to them , leaving them with a greater sense of satisfaction in the care they recieved. Does OMM have much sound research into its scientific benefit, no. But does much of modern medicine? They call it a practice for a reason. But anything that helps a patient with minimal to no side effects is a tool to have and use. And besides, an S-class wil be a nice change from my current vehicle. :D

Osteopathic Education needs improvement.

I vote this thread be closed, as the original argument has dwindled and is now being overtaken by inferiority complex.

Elysium said:

Truer words were never spoken.

Elysium said:
The point that everyone is trying to make to you is not that your experience in medicine is not valid, but that actually sitting your ass in school is different than being a pre-med. I thought I knew what school was going to be like - and it surprises me everyday. How horrible and challenging and all consuming and occasionally beautiful it all is. It is unlike anything you've ever done before, I assure you.

Once again, I NEVER claimed to know what medical school is like, or to be an authority on med school. I certainly never claimed to "know everything about medicine." The truth is, I know I don't know crap yet. My humility is an asset because, when we are learning things I have already experienced, like intubations and IV's, I know better than to think that as a tech I even have a small portion of the knowledge a physician has, so I will paying 100% attention.

What I did claim, as medicfletch did, to have knowledge of what the field of medicine and health care, patients, and other health professionals are like, and we do have that experience. My original claim that was refuted was that there is very little, if any, stigma for DO's in the medical field in Michigan, and that the posters blanket statements do not apply everywhere. (I also pointed out that MSUCOM gets a ton of NIH research grants, has great rotations as AOA/dual residency placements, and it is in MI..don't need to be a med student yet to know this and nobody refuted these facts anyway). I have no superiority complex, and I am well aware that I must be very humble in med school to avoid thinking that my limited knowledge of medicine makes me any kind of authority at all on any toher issues.

However, if my classmates want to know how to talk to a patient, or tell apatient's family their loved one is dead, or they want to know how docs are viewed by patients and other health professionals in the clinical setting, then yes, I will be happy to share my knowledge. In fact, most of my interviewers brought this up and told me that "with your vast experience, you have a 2 responsibilities. 1. Don''t OVERestimate your clinical knowledge, and 2. SHARE the experience you have because most med students have not had the opportunity to experience clinical medicine as much as you, and you will have a true advantage in the social and communication aspects of your training."

So, again, I know I do not know crap about medical school or practicing medicine, but I do have a lot of clinical experience and I know how patients and other professionals view docs. I know the politics and social aspects of of medicine, and I know how to talk to a touch a patient. Therefore, I can, and do, have opinions about these things. I just hope my classmates will be more open to hearing them with me than people on SDN :(

That said, I understand what you guys are saying about "thinking I know it all" and that when I start school that all goes out the door. The thing is though, I am careful because I know that is an easy position for someone like me to put myself in. Seriously, I know I don't know the first thing about what med school is like, and I know a lot of my opinions will evolve when I start school. I just would like people to understand that working in health care DOES give you an informed and perfectly valid perpective about much of the politics invloved in medicine and about how diocs are viewed. I mean, working in the hospital, urgent care, offices, and the ambulance, as well as having quite a few physician friends, does give me some authority to opine about how patients view their docs and whether or not DO's are well accepted. Does it not?

Oh, BTW, as a side note, My interviewers at MSUCOM, DMU, WVSOM, and KCUMB all told me that EMS providers are usually "excellent" medical students and very often take leadership roles in their class ;) I'd like to see the evidence to back up your "fact" that they do worse compared to traditional students.

Too much strawmanning going on by the medical students here. Medic170 has had to repeat several times what he said because you all are making up things to argue against.

Look guys, I know ya'll are all excited about being med students next year, but the first thing you need to do is loose the superior attitudes.
Irony, thou art cruel.

JohnDO said:
Too much strawmanning going on by the medical students here. Medic170 has had to repeat several times what he said because you all are making up things to argue against.

Irony, thou art cruel.
Thanks for noticing John. Have not heard from you in a while congrats again on your acceoptance and decision to go to KCOM

daveyboy said:
There is a need to differentiate the effect of simply touching a patient from applying an OMT treatment. This need is due to the fact that touching a patient tends to make the patient feel a repore with the physician, which tends to improve their mood and make them feel better.
No, actually, there is no need to differentiate this. As long as the technique is reimbursable then there is no need to rule out simple touching. Since MD's don't touch their patients, except for a warm greeting or gesture on the hands, we line our pockets and get closer to that down payment for the S-class. Like Latrell Sprewell said, "I have a family to feed." There is no need for more research to prove OMM is efficacious - it is reimbursed, thus the powers that be have deemed these procedures useful in certian clinical settings.

daveyboy said:
I definitely advocate touching patients, and I am in favor of anything that improves the situation of the patient. However, it is necesary to show that applying an OMT modality has an efficacy that is distinct and greater than the simple act of touching the patient.
Again, there is no need to prove OMM works and I am against spending research money to differentiate this from simple touching. The 'need' for this would only arise if reimbursement were compromised.

I reitirate, I have a family to feed.

JMC_MarineCorps said:
No, actually, there is no need to differentiate this. As long as the technique is reimbursable then there is no need to rule out simple touching. Since MD's don't touch their patients, except for a warm greeting or gesture on the hands, we line our pockets and get closer to that down payment for the S-class. Like Latrell Sprewell said, "I have a family to feed." There is no need for more research to prove OMM is efficacious - it is reimbursed, thus the powers that be have deemed these procedures useful in certian clinical settings.

Again, there is no need to prove OMM works and I am against spending research money to differentiate this from simple touching. The 'need' for this would only arise if reimbursement were compromised.

You make a compelling argument. I concede.

As for the S-class, it is a great car for sure, but it is a sedan. I prefer a coupe, so the CL or the SL is a better choice IMO. Of course, for the kind of money you would spend on an AMG model you can get Italian flair or British distiction.

I think this thread should become a full time discussion of cars, food&wine, and the porn industry, i.e. the things that matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
JMC_MarineCorps said:

Hey, man, I like your bottom line attitude. But more than that, I like the quote in your signature.

;)

JohnDO said:

Irony, thou art cruel.

Good heavens, I know. I have the upmost respect for those who are already in medical school and have done rotations (and recognize their knowledge at this time is superior to mine), but I also have mad respect for people such as Medic170, who already have spent years in the medical profession, and I value their opinions as well. I will be starting medical school in the fall. I know that I will be in the same boat as my fellow classmates, I nonetheless to feel that those of my classmates who have had so many patient interactions have something extra to offer. Apparently, adcoms feel this way, too, as Medic has gotten accepted to so many of the schools he applied to.

I also find it ironic that so many people are getting on Medic's case just because he deigned to offer his observations and disagree with a few holy opinions, yet at the same time are telling him to be humble and respectful. I hope those people don't treat nurses and other health colleagues the same way just because they have never sat in on a medical school lecture. Having an extra dose of humbleness could benefit everyone on this whole forum (yes, including me).

OK, sorry to have strayed from the original topic of this thread. Have a nice day, everyone :)

yposhelley said:
Good heavens, I know. I have the upmost respect for those who are already in medical school and have done rotations (and recognize their knowledge at this time is superior to mine), but I also have mad respect for people such as Medic170, who already have spent years in the medical profession, and I value their opinions as well. I will be starting medical school in the fall. I know that I will be in the same boat as my fellow classmates, I nonetheless to feel that those of my classmates who have had so many patient interactions have something extra to offer. Apparently, adcoms feel this way, too, as Medic has gotten accepted to so many of the schools he applied to.

I also find it ironic that so many people are getting on Medic's case just because he deigned to offer his observations and disagree with a few holy opinions, yet at the same time are telling him to be humble and respectful. I hope those people don't treat nurses and other health colleagues the same way just because they have never sat in on a medical school lecture. Having an extra dose of humbleness could benefit everyone on this whole forum (yes, including me).

OK, sorry to have strayed from the original topic of this thread. Have a nice day, everyone :)

You're totally missing the point. No one is treating nurses and other allied professionals with disrespect. Matter of fact, my best friend is a PA. Big f-ing deal. My point is this: my father is an internist that has been in practice for 30 years. I have been working is his office since I was 16. I have also worked in OB/Gyn offices, Planned Parenthood, etc for 4 years. Sure, I have more clinical knowledge than a lot of my classmates. That really doesn't mean a whole lot, however. Maybe I'll be slightly better at dealing with patients because of my age or medical background or whatever. But don't think for a second that "we" have the market cornered on being superior med students because we have more patient contact. The first time you get your ass kicked on an anatomy or biochem or embryo exam you'll realize that all the clinical knowledge in the world doesn't amount to a whole lot the first two years. Yes, maybe you're qualified to weigh in the politics of medicine or the structure of medicine or whatever. That's fantastic. I wasn't arguing with medicfletch's opinion of osteopathy in MI, since I have no knowledge of that state's medical system or anything else. All I was trying to impart on you guys is that staring at the ocean and swimming in it are two very different things. But, whatever. You'll figure it out yourselves eventually.

Elysium said:
But don't think for a second that "we" have the market cornered on being superior med students because we have more patient contact. .

And once again, FOR THE LAST DAMN TIME FOR THAT MATTER, I NEVER CLAIMED THAT I WAS A SUPERIOR MED STUDENT, NOR THAT I WOULD BE WHEN I START SCHOOL. I ONLY SAID THAT I HAD ENOUGH EXPERIENCE TO PROFESS A VALID OPINION ABOUT DO STIGMA IN MICHIGAN AND ABOUT WHAT THE MEDICAL FIELD IN PRACTICE IS LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT KNOWING MORE ABOUT MED SCHOOL. DAMN, CAN'T YOU PEOPLE READ. SEVERAL PEOPLE HAVE POINTED THIS OUT, SO WHY IS IT AN ISSUE????????????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I should not be getting so frustrated with people on an anonymous internet post site, so.......I give up........like the famous quote says......"What we have here is a failure to communicate....some men you just can't reach!!!"

medic170 said:
And once again, FOR THE LAST DAMN TIME FOR THAT MATTER, I NEVER CLAIMED THAT I WAS A SUPERIOR MED STUIDENT, OR THAT I WOULD BE. I ONLY SAID THAT I HAD ENOUGH EXPERIENCE TO PROFESS AN OPINION ABOUT DO STIGMA IN MICHIGAN AND ABOUT WHAT THE MEDICAL FIELD IN PRACTICE IS LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT KNOWING MORE ABOUT MED SCHOOL. DAMN, CAN'T YOU PEOPLE READ. SEVERAL PEOPLE HAVE POINTED THIS OUT, SO WHY IS IT AN ISSUE????????????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

If you really want to know, it was probably this comment that did the trick:

I was working in the medical field when you were poppin pimples before the prom, I know a thing or two, even though I have not started medical school yet. So I have not learned medicine yet, I know plenty about the politics and about osteopathy, I have been doing this a long time, kid.

DrMaryC said:

I was working in the medical field when you were poppin pimples before the prom, I know a thing or two, even though I have not started medical school yet. So I have not learned medicine yet, I know plenty about the politics and about osteopathy, I have been doing this a long time, kid.

Ouch!

- Tae, EMTPx13 years, MSII, with absolutely *nothing* else to say. ;)

daveyboy said:
I think this thread should become a full time discussion of cars, food&wine, and the porn industry, i.e. the things that matter.

I second this motion, all in favor say EYE!

PS
Gotta watch out for that british flair, they would rather spend time on the wallnut steering wheel rather then whats under the hood. On the other had you cant go wrong with a nice 'Cherman' car

Elysium said:
You're totally missing the point. No one is treating nurses and other allied professionals with disrespect. Matter of fact, my best friend is a PA. Big f-ing deal. .

Oh yes, that sounds very respectful indeed :rolleyes:

Elysium said:
My point is this: my father is an internist that has been in practice for 30 years. I have been working is his office since I was 16. I have also worked in OB/Gyn offices, Planned Parenthood, etc for 4 years. Sure, I have more clinical knowledge than a lot of my classmates. That really doesn't mean a whole lot, however. Maybe I'll be slightly better at dealing with patients because of my age or medical background or whatever. But don't think for a second that "we" have the market cornered on being superior med students because we have more patient contact. The first time you get your ass kicked on an anatomy or biochem or embryo exam you'll realize that all the clinical knowledge in the world doesn't amount to a whole lot the first two years. Yes, maybe you're qualified to weigh in the politics of medicine or the structure of medicine or whatever. That's fantastic. I wasn't arguing with medicfletch's opinion of osteopathy in MI, since I have no knowledge of that state's medical system or anything else. All I was trying to impart on you guys is that staring at the ocean and swimming in it are two very different things. But, whatever. You'll figure it out yourselves eventually.

Yes, yes. I know, I know. I didn't miss that point. I am quite aware of my own ignorance. Thank you for further rubbing my nose in it. :laugh:
I am sure I will taste the realization once again when I get my first anatomy exam, but it won't come as a huge surprise to me, because I never thought I knew a lot to begin with. :oops:

BTW, I think it was Medic170 you meant to refer to, not Medicfletch.

DrMaryC said:

It was the truth wasn't it? Oh, and the comments that person made to me were polite and repsectful, right? I think my quote was taken a little out of context, it was in response to some pretty aggressive comments made about me. And if you knew me at all, you would know that my comment contained my usual sarcasm. I responded to sarcasm with sarcasm, so what? I was responding to :
DireWolf said:
Who are you trying to shyt? You're not even in medical school. Here's $2, buy a clue.

So, I made an aggressive and sarcastic comment to refute something sarcastic that had already been said about me, so don't make it look like I brought this crap on myself. I was attacked before I said anything.

Anyway, This fool (me) will stop defending his statements. You guys were right and I was wrong, I don't know crap about any part of medicine or anything to do with medicine because I have never been in a med school lecture yet. I apologize for trying to have an opinion, thanks for setting me right. :D

medic170 said:
Oh, and the comments that person made to me were polite and repsectful, right?

maybe not polite, but correct.

you were incorrect.

DireWolf said:
maybe not polite, but correct.

you were incorrect.

Whatever, my bad. I am such an idiot :oops:

yposhelley said:
If you spent more time here you would know Medic170, and would have realized he was making a joke and attempting to lighten up a thread that has become waaaayyy too serious.

BTW-why do you have to attend medical school to figure out what medicaid will and won't reimburse? I'm just asking because that seems to be the comment you nailed Medic for.

you're right, i don't spend too much time here anymore... mostly because i'm way too busy. secondly, most threads i look at often make me feel more stupid than i was before i read them. that's not a hack at anyone in particular in this thread, just a general feeling as i waste a few minutes here and there looking at all of these different boards. and about the CMS reimbursement criteria... i'm not very good at OMT, so i'll likely refer out to PT's and DO's who are good at it, therefore i'll never have to do the coding for it.

DrRichardKimble said:
you're right, i don't spend too much time here anymore... mostly because i'm way too busy. secondly, most threads i look at often make me feel more stupid than i was before i read them. that's not a hack at anyone in particular in this thread, just a general feeling as i waste a few minutes here and there looking at all of these different boards. and about the CMS reimbursement criteria... i'm not very good at OMT, so i'll likely refer out to PT's and DO's who are good at it, therefore i'll never have to do the coding for it.

First of all, I really like your name. You just need to get an avatar of Harrison Ford, then you'll get some real respect around here (at least from me, you will :love: ).

Second of all, I hear you about feeling more stupid when you leave this forum. I just can't seem to stay away...I think I'll even still be posting here in medical school when I can find the time.

Third of all, I figure if I can stand the sarcasm and biting comments around here, the pimping I will get later on in my medical school career will be that much easier to deal with. :D

So COME ON, GIVE IT TO ME!!! :smuggrin:

Elysium said:
staring at the ocean and swimming in it are two very different things. But, whatever. You'll figure it out yourselves eventually.

Very very very well said... :)

What is this thread about now... I read something about porn and something... Hmmmm I don't know about that.

lets all take a day off and reflect on this thread... NOOOOOTT.

Read the rest with a sarcastic joke manner.. if you can't handle it ... don't.

Medic this is like "survivor"... anyone who is outspoken will eventually face heat. The secret will be to stay under the radar. You guys have to admit, sometimes some of the post or responses that people make on here are idiotic and can lead to insanity (FYI, just read my posts). Also because of no face to face interaction taking place... most comments will be interpreted negatively if at all possible.

I am glad there are a mixture of backgrounds in DO schools. Medic exprience will come in handy when we are lobying the government for _____. He will put in the time and energy for our cause. Only if he was a democrate.. that would really top things off.. hehehe. Yoposhelly will also come up with some great definitions.. and put me to sleep with such long posts. And I will go on and on.. about a simple little molecular involved in stem cell treatment that proves that the body can heal itself... but I will do it with bad + Canadian spelling hey.

Med School for the next 4 years.. will transform us and correct any misunderstanding we may have. Discussion is good. Ganging up on people that can greatly benefit our profession will only lead to ego head banging attitute.

Okay this don't make sence
BAir Out.

Docgeorge said:
I second this motion, all in favor say EYE!

PS
Gotta watch out for that british flair, they would rather spend time on the wallnut steering wheel rather then whats under the hood. On the other had you cant go wrong with a nice 'Cherman' car

True, you can't go wrong with it.

But, I am very partial to Jaguar. The new XK has a superchared V8 with 390 bhb that does 0-60 in 5.0 seconds. Not bad for a company that was on the brink of ruin a few years ago. The merger with Ford, and the last four years racing F1, is proving to be very beneficial to Jag.

I think chicks would dig a Jag more than a Mercedes. Think about driving up to the mountains for a weekend getaway with ***** Galore. You gotta admit that the Jag is the better car for such an adventure.

Or not, maybe you identify more with Thunderball or Octopussy. To each his own.

Cheers.

Elysium said:
Hey, man, I like your bottom line attitude. But more than that, I like the quote in your signature.

;)

I thought you would like that. Just playing the game.

I'm better than you because I'm a medical student and you're just a naive pre-med. Wait until you go to med school and you'll realize my infinite wisdom.

No, I'm better than you because I was a nurse's aide and have 10 hours of patient contact. You'll realize that med school and actually being with a patient are two different things. You'll bow down to my superior medical acumen.

No, I'm better than all of you. I was a paramedic, I watch ER every week and I'm going to med school. You're a bunch of naive kids that don't know a thing about medicine.

No, I'm better. My dad is board certified in acupuncture and my grandfather was board certified in family practice. That makes me a medical sage by osmosis.

No, I'm a medical god. I'm old and experienced and have patient contact. You're a bunch of *****s. MD, DO doesn't matter. It's what's in your heart, man! I'm telling you! med school is nothing compared to your passion! My wife is a nurse and that makes me close to the medical field!

No way, I'm a chiropractor that became a PA then went to DO school. You know nothing, and I mean NOTHING about medicine unless you've walked in my shoes. Idiots! Bow down to my medical experience! You're idiots I tell you!!!!!!!

You're the idiot! I just finished a rotation in a hospital. This is way different than medical school or whatever it is that you did. I know the secrets to medicine, and it's not what you know! Bow down to my superior opinion! Bow down I said!!!!

Older Jags with all their problems were still awsome pieces of art. I'm not too hot on the new ones though, and besides a Porsche 911 GT2 will get a girl off with just the revving of the engine.

i have no idea where this post is going...and i'm not about to spend the time to read all 10 pages:) but in response to the original posters comments i will say that i could REALLY do without the "OMM is the greatest thing to ever happen to medicine" spiel....or worse, the "you understand this better because you are DO's" crap...we actually had a professor teach about the diaphragm/lung conditions and say something about how we understand the muscle and it's relationship to breathing so much better than the "others" because we are DO's and know that structure = function...is there any reason that ANY doc wouldn't know that the main muscle of respiration is involved in....RESPIRATION???? the sooner the profession loses this immature and unnecessary attitude the better

Shinken said:
I'm better than you because I'm a medical student and you're just a naive pre-med. Wait until you go to med school and you'll realize my infinite wisdom.

No, I'm better than you because I was a nurse's aide and have 10 hours of patient contact. You'll realize that med school and actually being with a patient are two different things. You'll bow down to my superior medical acumen.

No, I'm better than all of you. I was a paramedic, I watch ER every week and I'm going to med school. You're a bunch of naive kids that don't know a thing about medicine.

No, I'm better. My dad is board certified in acupuncture and my grandfather was board certified in family practice. That makes me a medical sage by osmosis.

No, I'm a medical god. I'm old and experienced and have patient contact. You're a bunch of *****s. MD, DO doesn't matter. It's what's in your heart, man! I'm telling you! med school is nothing compared to your passion! My wife is a nurse and that makes me close to the medical field!

No way, I'm a chiropractor that became a PA then went to DO school. You know nothing, and I mean NOTHING about medicine unless you've walked in my shoes. Idiots! Bow down to my medical experience! You're idiots I tell you!!!!!!!

You're the idiot! I just finished a rotation in a hospital. This is way different than medical school or whatever it is that you did. I know the secrets to medicine, and it's not what you know! Bow down to my superior opinion! Bow down I said!!!!

Its human nature man, you can't touch human nature. Intellectuals are funny, because they nit-pick about nothing. Seriously, about nothing. I'm glad I have a somewhat blue-collared background, seems I can relate to the general population -- most of you bookworms are in your own little world.

HA! There I go.

Just focus...your in medical school, if you get pre-occupied with all the nonsense of what you believe in or not, you won't finish and you'll end up where you started. In reality, nothing that we learn matters in medical school...we'll re-learn everything teh correct clinical way the 3rd, 4th , and in residency... :idea: This isn't a reply to one post, just get over the first 2 years and Step I and move on...

JMC_MarineCorps said:
Its human nature man, you can't touch human nature. Intellectuals are funny, because they nit-pick about nothing. Seriously, about nothing. I'm glad I have a somewhat blue-collared background, seems I can relate to the general population -- most of you bookworms are in your own little world.

HA! There I go.

True, true. Intellectuals are incredibly funny.

Boy, I can't wait for Thanksgiving break to be over, so I'll be too busy studying and won't have time to spend posting here.

Speaking of intellectuals nit-picking about nothing, a new intellectual thread was started in the International forum. It seems that we're going to have several pages of people arguing whether the American MD degree is a graduate or doctoral degree compared to the European medical degree. How exciting!

docbill said:
Yoposhelly will also come up with some great definitions.. and put me to sleep with such long posts.

Oh, Bill...I do worry about you! How on earth are you going to get through all those long medical school textbooks if you can't get through one or two of my "long" posts? :D

hehehehe... I was waiting for you to comment about that... Medic170 still did not comment... maybe he is still pissed off. Especially since I mentioned that Democrat thing!!!!

How is it going... are you in Hawaiiii.. cause I notice you always post really late.

Nope, in Michigan, and today is the first day of snow...I'm up late a lot, still on Hawaii time even after all these months ;)

hahahha.. we got some wet snow up on Highway 401 in Toronto.. but did not last... thank god.

You guys are lower so you get it first... early detection, than it comes up here.

UNFORTUNATELY SO DOES THE AIR POLUSION.

docbill said:
UNFORTUNATELY SO DOES THE AIR POLUSION.

Yeah, I forgot to tell you, I ate beans last night. sorry :D Didn't think you guys would notice all the way in Canada, sheesh :laugh:

docbill said:
hehehehe... I was waiting for you to comment about that... Medic170 still did not comment... maybe he is still pissed off. Especially since I mentioned that Democrat thing!!!!

How is it going... are you in Hawaiiii.. cause I notice you always post really late.

I'm not mad at you bill, my naieve (sp?) pre-med arse is just avoiding this thread now

I would not worry about that.. we will all be Monkeys in Med schoo and residency.. so we need to get use to groom each others.. like monkeys do.

I read an article in News paper today about Dolphin's who saved these swimmers from a great white shark.. in New ZEaland.. cool hey. I am sure if you google it .. you can find it.

docbill said:
I would not worry about that.. we will all be Monkeys in Med schoo and residency.. so we need to get use to groom each others.. like monkeys do.

I read an article in News paper today about Dolphin's who saved these swimmers from a great white shark.. in New ZEaland.. cool hey. I am sure if you google it .. you can find it.

Yeah, I can see the point these med students are trying to make, even though tey do not think I do, but I honestly do think I know some stuff about the med field. Maybe I am overzealous sometimes, but if I am, its only because I am so excited to be admitted to med school!!

I would let it go... a good pecking order every now and then is okay... as long as it don't get out of hand. When we are finished our first year... we will come on here and tell the pre-meds how they no nothing about med school.

I have no dought about your medical exprience.. I realize the same thing with me.. my spelling sucks as noted above.. but I have to keep reminding myself that I will be starting from scratch next year.. and even with a PhD in molecular cardiology... I can't use that till I am actually in Clinical rotations or residency.

good point... I will post a link for you that I was surprise to find
one sec

docbill said:
we will come on here and tell the pre-meds how they no nothing about med school.

I know, :laugh: :smuggrin: that's probably why the med students get so frustrated with us. I understand, but I get frustrated too. I have no ill feeling toward anybody though.

Status
Not open for further replies.