Robert Wood Johnson - Class Of 2010!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Closed? huh, i thought most schools continued to accept students up until the day classes started because people keep withdrawing because they might be getting off the waitlists at other schools? I have never heard of this before...

Members don't see this ad.

gotgame83 said:
Closed? huh, i thought most schools continued to accept students up until the day classes started because people keep withdrawing because they might be getting off the waitlists at other schools? I have never heard of this before...

yeah, and also i just went on the njms forum and saw that someone posted that he/she withdrew their position yesterday. which clearly means that at least one spot is open. they're lying!

haha, yea froggo. So you would think that NJMS would now accept someone else so that they dont miss out on the money. Theres still hope persian!

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe the NJMS class isnt closed...i searched threads from last year and saw that they did send rejection letters to people on the alternate list throughout the summer, and basically kept the top whatever percent of the waitlist open to consideration until the end...and this is what it says on the NJMS website:

"Regret
Once the committee has concluded its deliberations and has voted not to accept an applicant on the alternate list, a letter of regret is sent. This does not imply that the applicant is not qualified to enter medical school. Many eminently qualified students are not offered acceptances solely because of class size restrictions and the large applicant pool."

So maybe this is wishful thinking, but I would hate it if the class was indeed closed...but then again, seeing that Rockstar is on the hpl at Robert Wood, I dont understand why they would be so quick to reject him at NJMS. For the rest of you on the waitlist, do you have acceptances elsewhere or are your hopes hanging on a couple schools just like me?

blahhh now that I'm supposed to be studying for MCATS I seem to be on SDN much too often!

just went to sign my lease today at the colony house. my fate is sealed. :scared:

So ur officially a new brunswickian now?

gotgame83 said:
So ur officially a new brunswickian now?

yup. its official. i took a drive to the school today from the colony house and it is SO CLOSE. im really happy about that. maybe 5 minutes max of driving.

beponychick said:
yup. its official. i took a drive to the school today from the colony house and it is SO CLOSE. im really happy about that. maybe 5 minutes max of driving.

Yay congratulations! I am really happy for you :) I SO WISH I could get moving on my own move. Waiting is so awful. I am also worried that all the best places will be taken by the time I am eventually admitted, if I eventually am.

SalseraDoctora said:
Yay congratulations! I am really happy for you :) I SO WISH I could get moving on my own move. Waiting is so awful. I am also worried that all the best places will be taken by the time I am eventually admitted, if I eventually am.

I think you will definitely find a place. From what I know, I think there are places still open at the colony house for 1BR apartments. Supposedly a bunch of med students live there which is nice.

Good luck. Ill keep my fingers crossed for you.

beponychick said:
I think you will definitely find a place. From what I know, I think there are places still open at the colony house for 1BR apartments. Supposedly a bunch of med students live there which is nice.

Good luck. Ill keep my fingers crossed for you.

Thank you! :) Actually I wanted to ask you something since you said you reapplied to RWJ. Did you email Dr. Terregino when you first applied and didn't get admitted to ask her what you needed to do to improve your application? I am wondering whether I should do that now in case I have to reapply.

SalseraDoctora said:
Thank you! :) Actually I wanted to ask you something since you said you reapplied to RWJ. Did you email Dr. Terregino when you first applied and didn't get admitted to ask her what you needed to do to improve your application? I am wondering whether I should do that now in case I have to reapply.

Hey,

Yes, I think its a great idea to keep in touch with her. She is wonderful and will really be your advocate during committee meetings. I kept in touch with her during the two years since my waitlist during which i got my masters and sent her occasional updates on my grades and such. It doesnt hurt to email her now and express interest in the school and say that its your first choice. At the least, she will remember your name for the future. I also spoke to her several times on the phone, so you may want to do that as well (maybe closer to the time when classes start). Also, I thought it was very helpful to see her face to face during the annual open houses. I went to all of them when I applied the first time just to have some face time with her. But that may be out of the question for you since you live in Cali.

NjGirl said:
Maybe the NJMS class isnt closed...i searched threads from last year and saw that they did send rejection letters to people on the alternate list throughout the summer, and basically kept the top whatever percent of the waitlist open to consideration until the end...and this is what it says on the NJMS website:

"Regret
Once the committee has concluded its deliberations and has voted not to accept an applicant on the alternate list, a letter of regret is sent. This does not imply that the applicant is not qualified to enter medical school. Many eminently qualified students are not offered acceptances solely because of class size restrictions and the large applicant pool."

So maybe this is wishful thinking, but I would hate it if the class was indeed closed...but then again, seeing that Rockstar is on the hpl at Robert Wood, I dont understand why they would be so quick to reject him at NJMS. For the rest of you on the waitlist, do you have acceptances elsewhere or are your hopes hanging on a couple schools just like me?

blahhh now that I'm supposed to be studying for MCATS I seem to be on SDN much too often!

That is probably what happened to me. I haven't actually read the letter for myself yet, so I am going off my dad's summary. I thought it seemed a little weird for the class to be closed too. I hope that my interpretation was wrong... sorry if I worried anyone.

As far as my options... I had three acceptances, and I am enrolled at one school. I am still waiting to hear anything from my second choice school, and of course I am anxiously waiting for RWJ, my first choice! I am on a few other waitlists, but I am not overly hopeful about them.

Also, this is kind of funny. Since we go by screen names or whatever, it is kind of ambiguous, but I am actually a girl.

haha, im my head I had R*ckstar as a guy too. Ok i made a mental note of this, dont worry it wont happen again lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about that R*ckstar...its funny because I when I was writing that post I was thinking about whether it was a guy's screen name or a girls...

Last edited:
so how many of us out there are high priority?

NjGirl said:
Maybe the NJMS class isnt closed...

yeah, i find it surprising that they would close the class at this point. too, i haven't gotten any letter from them. it could just be that my mail is slow, who knows.

rockstar, why don't you call njms tomorrow. it doesn't hurt to ask them if their waitlist remains open till the first day of class, or do they close it earlier on.

up until now, i've actually had more respect for admissions at njms than rwj, because at least they sorta maintained a similar stand among all the students waiting, instead of the double standards that seem to be prevalent in the rwj admissions office. but now this njms class closed story............it's like, enough already, just tell us hte truth dammit.

NjGirl said:
Sorry about that R*ckstar...its funny because I when I was writing that post I was thinking about whether it was a guy's screen name or a girls...

Hahaha no worries. It is really hard to tell on here. Someday if we all meet in person it will be much easier to know :)

persianrug said:
yeah, i find it surprising that they would close the class at this point. too, i haven't gotten any letter from them. it could just be that my mail is slow, who knows.

rockstar, why don't you call njms tomorrow. it doesn't hurt to ask them if their waitlist remains open till the first day of class, or do they close it earlier on.

up until now, i've actually had more respect for admissions at njms than rwj, because at least they sorta maintained a similar stand among all the students waiting, instead of the double standards that seem to be prevalent in the rwj admissions office. but now this njms class closed story............it's like, enough already, just tell us hte truth dammit.

Don't stress about the class being closed. I think that NJGirl was right... it seems like they slowly vote people off the alternate list, and I am guessing that is what happened to me. I am going to read the letter for myself, and if it really says the class is closed I will call.

Also I don't think that the admissions offices are trying to deceive us or confuse us. I really don't think that they are allowed to give out too much information. The people who do actually get a little info probably are just calling at the right moment... or maybe I am just wayyyy too optimistic :p

R*ckstar said:
Also I don't think that the admissions offices are trying to deceive us or confuse us. I really don't think that they are allowed to give out too much information. The people who do actually get a little info probably are just calling at the right moment... or maybe I am just wayyyy too optimistic :p

i agree with you, however, at the same time, i think the admissions offices should be at least a bit more understanding of our plight. to the contrary, when i spoke to meryle kramer on the phone, she first told me that she was too busy to talk (when in fact she was the one who asked me to call her), and then throughout the conversation she kept sighing and sounding really impatient with me. maybe i'm being too sensitive, but i think that if you're on the waitlist at a school, you're there for a reason. i wouldn't have called meryle kramer if i wasn't as desperate as i am. i mean, it's our future that's hanging in the balance, so i think they should be at least a bit more understanding of our anxiety.

and besides, if they're not allowed to divulge too much, then they can just say that in a straightforward way (like njms did with me) instead having a different story each time you call them.

sorry for the ranting (if that's how it sounded), i guess i just needed to vent.

NjGirl said:
For the rest of you on the waitlist, do you have acceptances elsewhere or are your hopes hanging on a couple schools just like me?

it seems like we're both in the same boat, njgirl.

persianrug said:
i agree with you, however, at the same time, i think the admissions offices should be at least a bit more understanding of our plight. to the contrary, when i spoke to meryle kramer on the phone, she first told me that she was too busy to talk (when in fact she was the one who asked me to call her), and then throughout the conversation she kept sighing and sounding really impatient with me. maybe i'm being too sensitive, but i think that if you're on the waitlist at a school, you're there for a reason. i wouldn't have called meryle kramer if i wasn't as desperate as i am. i mean, it's our future that's hanging in the balance, so i think they should be at least a bit more understanding of our anxiety.

and besides, if they're not allowed to divulge too much, then they can just say that in a straightforward way (like njms did with me) instead having a different story each time you call them.

sorry for the ranting (if that's how it sounded), i guess i just needed to vent.

It's cool everyone needs to vent now and then :)

Good news... I talked to my dad again today about the letter, and there was a mix up. The letter was actually from UMDNJ-SOM... which is really weird, because I did send a primary there, but I never sent a secondary. SO, NJMS is still a possiblity. I am really sorry for the confusion. When my dad said umdnj I just assumed NJMS. I feel like such an idiot :oops:

Hey guys, those of you who are familiar with Piscataway--where/what is Society Hill? Is it an area of Piscataway? I am from CA so I am totally clueless about housing locations, but from what I have seen everybody talks about living at Society Hill because it is safe and nearby to campus. Explain please!

SalseraDoctora said:
Hey guys, those of you who are familiar with Piscataway--where/what is Society Hill? Is it an area of Piscataway? I am from CA so I am totally clueless about housing locations, but from what I have seen everybody talks about living at Society Hill because it is safe and nearby to campus. Explain please!

Until my recent visit to look for housing I had this question also. Society Hill is a "development/community" within Piscataway. Its pretty much around the corner from the school, and therefore one of the closest housing options. I looked at a few places in Society Hill which is composed of condos and townhouses. I think they are all 2-bedroom/3-bedroom or perhaps bigger. I don't think there are any 1-bedroom houses there, or at least none that I saw. The prices seemed to range from $1400-2000 for most of the 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom townhouses/condos there. It looked relatively safe as well. It seemed like that is one of the main places that most people who share apartments/houses end up living.

ABTornado said:
Until my recent visit to look for housing I had this question also. Society Hill is a "development/community" within Piscataway. Its pretty much around the corner from the school, and therefore one of the closest housing options. I looked at a few places in Society Hill which is composed of condos and townhouses. I think they are all 2-bedroom/3-bedroom or perhaps bigger. I don't think there are any 1-bedroom houses there, or at least none that I saw. The prices seemed to range from $1400-2000 for most of the 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom townhouses/condos there. It looked relatively safe as well. It seemed like that is one of the main places that most people who share apartments/houses end up living.

Yay thanks :) That is very helpful. :oops:

SalseraDoctora said:
Yay thanks :) That is very helpful. :oops:

did you hear some good news, salsera? (since you seem to be looking for places around here)

Me + 2 other guys (we met on this thread!) are living in a 3BR townhouse in Society Hill - Harwick Court to be exact.

The place looks pretty nice. Big living room, decent sized bedrooms, 2.5 bath, nice kitchen, our own laundry machines, lots of storage space, backyard. Like ABtornado said, the rent for our place is below $2000, except for the fact that we had to sign a June 15th lease. Apparently a bunch of med students live there (I think the previous tennant moved just next door). It is about a 3 minute drive to school (I'm planning on biking).

If you can still find a place in Society Hill, I'd recommend it (although I haven't lived there yet). Plus, we'll be your neighbors :)

Anyone else living in Society hill??

SalseraDoctora said:

persianrug said:
did you hear some good news, salsera? (since you seem to be looking for places around here)

Nope, sadly, just planning ahead and thinking positively :D

SalseraDoctora said:
Nope, sadly, just planning ahead and thinking positively :D

Are you still looking for a place to live? If you or anyone else is, my friend and I are looking for a third female roommate. We found a really nice townhouse in Canterbury Townhomes (3.5 miles from school, in Piscataway, about 7 min drive). 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bath, full basement, washer, dryer, pool, tennis courts, parking, etc.

-1800 total, but each room is a different size so we will stagger the prices accordingly. Umm, so yea- let us know. =)

take care.

agupta1012 said:
Are you still looking for a place to live? If you or anyone else is, my friend and I are looking for a third female roommate. We found a really nice townhouse in Canterbury Townhomes (3.5 miles from school, in Piscataway, about 7 min drive). 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bath, full basement, washer, dryer, pool, tennis courts, parking, etc.

-1800 total, but each room is a different size so we will stagger the prices accordingly. Umm, so yea- let us know. =)

take care.

I wish I were looking for a house, but I am still on the high priority wait list. :( Good luck finding someone though!

i find it quite hard to believe that the waitlist hasn't moved in teh past couple of weeks. is it really that bad? have any of you ppl out there heard and not posted???

im very close to giving up on RWJ for this year :(

NjGirl said:
im very close to giving up on RWJ for this year :(

NO... don't give up. I hear that there can be a lot of movement late in the process. I am still very hopeful :)

thats great that you are optimistic...and you should be because you're high priority :)

but im just being realistic because they havent even gotten through high priority and it is almost july...i think its just better for me to not have my hopes up considering it would be harder to study for MCATs that way...so if anything, ill be pleasantly surprised if a bunch of people suddenly decide that RWJ is not for them :)

chiggachu said:
Me + 2 other guys (we met on this thread!) are living in a 3BR townhouse in Society Hill - Harwick Court to be exact.

The place looks pretty nice. Big living room, decent sized bedrooms, 2.5 bath, nice kitchen, our own laundry machines, lots of storage space, backyard. Like ABtornado said, the rent for our place is below $2000, except for the fact that we had to sign a June 15th lease. Apparently a bunch of med students live there (I think the previous tennant moved just next door). It is about a 3 minute drive to school (I'm planning on biking).

If you can still find a place in Society Hill, I'd recommend it (although I haven't lived there yet). Plus, we'll be your neighbors :)

Anyone else living in Society hill??

Yeah yeah! I'm also living in a 3 BR on Harwick Ct. in Society Hill (with two college-mates who are also going to RWJ... girls, btw). We're one of the ones with the lake in the backyard :) Plan to have lots of grill-outs! What number Harwick Ct. are you? (Maybe PM)
So psyched... we're moving in first week of July (also to lock in the amazing location/rent)

I am on high priority and have almost given up. I just have begun to put it out of my head for my own sanity.

It is almost July and there hasn't been any movement - I don't know where anybody got the impression that everybody from the high priority list makes it - where did that info come from?

NjGirl said:
thats great that you are optimistic...and you should be because you're high priority :)

but im just being realistic because they havent even gotten through high priority and it is almost july...i think its just better for me to not have my hopes up considering it would be harder to study for MCATs that way...so if anything, ill be pleasantly surprised if a bunch of people suddenly decide that RWJ is not for them :)

jingles said:
I am on high priority and have almost given up. I just have begun to put it out of my head for my own sanity.

It is almost July and there hasn't been any movement - I don't know where anybody got the impression that everybody from the high priority list makes it - where did that info come from?

I think that was based on information from previous years. I know July seems late, but there is more than a month until classes start and plenty of time for people to withdraw. I have heard stories of people getting acceptance phone calls a few days before orientation! I know it sucks to wait, but dont give up yet. It is also possible that the high priority list is in fact moving, but that the people accepted are not posting. Hang in there. :luck:

jingles said:

I am sort of with you jingles, sadly :( I think I also need to put it out of my head. Poor us!

SalseraDoctora said:
I am sort of with you jingles, sadly :( I think I also need to put it out of my head. Poor us!

at least you guys have other acceptances.....unfortunately for me and njgirl, if nothing works out, then the only choice we have left is to go through this whole process all over again.

i too have a feeling that there are many ppl who have heard but are not posting....but the fact still remains that there are ppl on the hp list who still have not heard. it's surprising, because when i spoke to ms. kramer, she told me that last year they made good progress through the waitlist, and this year, since the class size has increased, they expect to go deeper into the waitlist than they did last year (i've been trying to analyze that, and i still can't figure out if it makes sense or not).

persianrug said:
at least you guys have other acceptances.....unfortunately for me and njgirl, if nothing works out, then the only choice we have left is to go through this whole process all over again.

i too have a feeling that there are many ppl who have heard but are not posting....but the fact still remains that there are ppl on the hp list who still have not heard. it's surprising, because when i spoke to ms. kramer, she told me that last year they made good progress through the waitlist, and this year, since the class size has increased, they expect to go deeper into the waitlist than they did last year (i've been trying to analyze that, and i still can't figure out if it makes sense or not).

well the thing is, although they increased their class size by a few people, they have WAY more applicants than last year. When I spoke to Dr. Terregino during my interview, she said there was somewhere around a 20% increase in applicants this year. So that may overcompensate for the increase in class size (since I think they increased it by 10 people max, someone correct me if im wrong). So I somehow doubt they would be able to take more people off the waitlist than in previous years. When I applied two years ago, there was talk about the waitlist having a lot of movement, but sadly I didnt make the cut. But I also wasnt on HP like you guys are. Good luck and dont lose hope.

i wonder how many people are high priority

So I made contact with Ms. Kramer... I asked about the size of the hp list and where I am situated. Basically she said that she does not like to give out that info, because it is irrelevant. Apparently this late in the game the list can move very quickly. When a seat opens up often times people on the alternate list are no longer interested. This makes a lot of sense, because people with other acceptances are starting to sign leases and get prepared to be somewhere else. Naturally, many people would be hesitant to break a lease or completely change their plans with only a few weeks notice when they have other reasonably appealing options.

I never really thought too much about this, but I think it is good news. In fact, one of my favorite residents from my externship actually said that he was accepted at NJMS two days before classes started but turned them down, even though it was one of his top choices, because he had already gotten himself situated somewhere else.

Also, I found out that the latest we would hear something is August 4th. That is when orientation starts. At the other school where I am enrolled the orientation handbook said that failure to show up on the first day results in the loss of your seat. I am assuming that RWJ is the same way, and so I guess they may offer seats on the 4th if someone doesn't show up. At least we have a concrete date, and we can start the count down to finally knowing one way or another! Stay positive... there is still hope!!! :)

R*ckstar said:
So I made contact with Ms. Kramer... I asked about the size of the hp list and where I am situated. Basically she said that she does not like to give out that info, because it is irrelevant. Apparently this late in the game the list can move very quickly. When a seat opens up often times people on the alternate list are no longer interested. This makes a lot of sense, because people with other acceptances are starting to sign leases and get prepared to be somewhere else. Naturally, many people would be hesitant to break a lease or completely change their plans with only a few weeks notice when they have other reasonably appealing options.

I never really thought too much about this, but I think it is good news. In fact, one of my favorite residents from my externship actually said that he was accepted at NJMS two days before classes started but turned them down, even though it was one of his top choices, because he had already gotten himself situated somewhere else.

Also, I found out that the latest we would hear something is August 4th. That is when orientation starts. At the other school where I am enrolled the orientation handbook said that failure to show up on the first day results in the loss of your seat. I am assuming that RWJ is the same way, and so I guess they may offer seats on the 4th if someone doesn't show up. At least we have a concrete date, and we can start the count down to finally knowing one way or another! Stay positive... there is still hope!!! :)

I agree!!! :) :) :)

How do we look at last year's thread? I am interested to check out how the waitlist moved last year.

Last edited:
R*ckstar said:
How do we look at last year's thread? I am interested to check out how the waitlist moved last year.

thank you so much for all that info, rockstar. i had actually thought about the whole "ppl not being interested anymore" track, and it actually makes a lot of sense. also i was thinking that maybe they're waiting for so long to send offers deliberately, because they know that those with other options will get tired of waiting and make other plans, and then all that will be left on teh alternate list will be the ppl who really really really want to go to rwj. well, at least it makes sense to me, and gives me some hope.

the only thing that's questionable is why she told you that the # of ppl on hp list is irrelevant.....???

edited: oops, i forgot to say what i initially meant to tell you: i can send you a link the the thread two years ago (when bepony was applying), but i wasn't able to find last year's thread.

persianrug said:
thank you so much for all that info, rockstar. i had actually thought about the whole "ppl not being interested anymore" track, and it actually makes a lot of sense. also i was thinking that maybe they're waiting for so long to send offers deliberately, because they know that those with other options will get tired of waiting and make other plans, and then all that will be left on teh alternate list will be the ppl who really really really want to go to rwj. well, at least it makes sense to me, and gives me some hope.

the only thing that's questionable is why she told you that the # of ppl on hp list is irrelevant.....???

edited: oops, i forgot to say what i initially meant to tell you: i can send you a link the the thread two years ago (when bepony was applying), but i wasn't able to find last year's thread.

lol, send it to me also. Im curious as to where my mind was two years ago. :laugh:

more news: ms. kramer just replied to an email i sent her, and she said that things are moving very slowly at this point (surprise surprise). she said that right now they are averaging about 1 withdrawal per week. she also said that things tend to pick up in july.

i know there was much new info there, but i was surprised that she told me about the 1 withdrawal a week.