Robert Wood Johnson - Class Of 2010!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beponychick

SDN Angel
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Argh, I hate starting two class threads but it would be nice to discuss all RWJ related issues....

I have one myself....

I am thinking of commuting from Newark to the school. I was wondering if current med students know of anyone who is commuting and if its possible to use public transportation instead of driving. I can easily get to the New Brunswick station by taking New Jersey Transit but is there a shuttle I can use to get to the school???

Congrats to everyone!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

beponychick said:
sigh, no one going to RWJ? :(

That a bit of a commute - can you live near campus in Piscataway? you'll probably want to be closer to classmates too for study sessions and the like :)

ETA: you can also live in Highland Park which is cheaper.

Members don't see this ad :)
Poety said:
That a bit of a commute - can you live near campus in Piscataway? you'll probably want to be closer to classmates too for study sessions and the like :)

ETA: you can also live in Highland Park which is cheaper.

Are you currently attending the school?

hey whats up, ill be going to robert wood next year.
about commuting a good friend of mine lives by piscataway and commutes to njit in newark full time. he doesnt seem to mind the commute but its only undergrad and he doesnt meet up with his classmates ever. commuting from newark might be a little rough.
im thinking about commuting but i live like 10 miles south of piscatway but i dont know if i want to be home.
-mike

Does anybody know if the class is full yet? Thanks

Hi all, I might be going to Robert Wood next year. I went to Rutgers and still live in New Brunswick so if you guys have any questions about housing and the area around, feel free to ask.

o yeah I work at the hospital too if you have any questions about that..

Last edited:
roca88 said:
I'M INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!

Robert Wood Johnson Medical School baby!!! Class of 2010!

Can't wait to see all of you at the school, it's gonna be awesome...and it'll be cool to have everyone's favorite SDN poster "beponychick" as a classmate as well.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

yayayayayayayayayayayayayayaay!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! yaya, what great news!!! So you are definitely going right? Awesome!!!! I guess we'll see each other at orientation, although i probably wouldnt even know who you are. Can you please wear a "roca88" nametag? :D

Hmmm.....I just posted this in the pre-med forum, and immediately after, I found this thread. Oh well, Murphy's Law, I guess.

Here we go again:

Hey guys,

I'm a MS I at RWJ, and just wanted to say hi to my future classmates. If any of you have any questions, I'll try to answer them. You can post questions here, but I might not check the forum very frequently because a) I'm not on SDN nearly as much as I used to be, and b) when I am on SDN, I usually go to the Allo forum. So, PMing is also an option.

Just be warned.....don't be upset if I don't respond ASAP. The first years have exams Monday, Wednesday, and Friday this week.

See you all next year at Bobby Wood,

SS83

Sureshot83 said:
Hmmm.....I just posted this in the pre-med forum, and immediately after, I found this thread. Oh well, Murphy's Law, I guess.

Here we go again:

Hey guys,

I'm a MS I at RWJ, and just wanted to say hi to my future classmates. If any of you have any questions, I'll try to answer them. You can post questions here, but I might not check the forum very frequently because a) I'm not on SDN nearly as much as I used to be, and b) when I am on SDN, I usually go to the Allo forum. So, PMing is also an option.

Just be warned.....don't be upset if I don't respond ASAP. The first years have exams Monday, Wednesday, and Friday this week.

See you all next year at Bobby Wood,

SS83

Hey Sureshot,

Thanks for answering our questions. I pm'd you!

beponychick said:
Argh, I hate starting two class threads but it would be nice to discuss all RWJ related issues....

I have one myself....

I am thinking of commuting from Newark to the school. I was wondering if current med students know of anyone who is commuting and if its possible to use public transportation instead of driving. I can easily get to the New Brunswick station by taking New Jersey Transit but is there a shuttle I can use to get to the school???

Congrats to everyone!!! :)

First of all, congratulations on your acceptance! I can answer your question because I just graduated from Rutgers-New Brunswick after commuting from North Jersey (further north than Newark) for three years. I used to drive since there was no train station next to me, and let me tell you, it was crazy with all that parkway traffic and the route 18 construction. So what I tried to do all the way through undergrad is to schedule either really early or late classes in order to avoid the traffic situation. But in medical school the schedule is set for you, and you have virtually no control over your class time. So I would highly recommend public transportation, and it seems like you live by the Newark train station, so that's good. The New Brunswick train station is pretty much located in the College Avenue campus of Rutgers University, so once you get there, you can take a little walk and catch the Rutgers buses (either the A or the H) which go to the Busch Campus. You would then take the ARC (Allison Road Classrooms) bus stop, and once you're there, the medical school is literally a < 5 minute walk. These buses are free, and yes, anyone can take them; they won't check your Rutgers ID to get on a bus. I've seen 50 year old women get on them with their groceries! They do get crowded during peak times (afternoon), and any Rutgers student can tell you about their experiences with a bus door closing on them, lol. The buses also run very frequently, but you might run into a minor problem since Rutgers, as an undergraduate institution, has a longer winter break than Robert Wood. Also, the medical school starts earlier in the year and probably concludes later. While the Rutgers buses DO run during most of these times, since there are few students taking winter and summer classes, they do so at a far lower frequency, so you may have to wait longer during these times. There is also public transportation which you have to pay for, but I haven't personally seen any of these buses reach the area in Piscataway where Robert Wood is located, so you might want to inquire about that. In any case, I think that the Rutgers buses should be more than enough. Hope this helps... If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. It's always my pleasure to help a future colleague.

Members don't see this ad :)
MDDM said:
First of all, congratulations on your acceptance! I can answer your question because I just graduated from Rutgers-New Brunswick after commuting from North Jersey (further north than Newark) for three years. I used to drive since there was no train station next to me, and let me tell you, it was crazy with all that parkway traffic and the route 18 construction. So what I tried to do all the way through undergrad is to schedule either really early or late classes in order to avoid the traffic situation. But in medical school the schedule is set for you, and you have virtually no control over your class time. So I would highly recommend public transportation, and it seems like you live by the Newark train station, so that's good. The New Brunswick train station is pretty much located in the College Avenue campus of Rutgers University, so once you get there, you can take a little walk and catch the Rutgers buses (either the A or the H) which go to the Busch Campus. You would then take the ARC (Allison Road Classrooms) bus stop, and once you're there, the medical school is literally a < 5 minute walk. These buses are free, and yes, anyone can take them; they won't check your Rutgers ID to get on a bus. I've seen 50 year old women get on them with their groceries! They do get crowded during peak times (afternoon), and any Rutgers student can tell you about their experiences with a bus door closing on them, lol. The buses also run very frequently, but you might run into a minor problem since Rutgers, as an undergraduate institution, has a longer winter break than Robert Wood. Also, the medical school starts earlier in the year and probably concludes later. While the Rutgers buses DO run during most of these times, since there are few students taking winter and summer classes, they do so at a far lower frequency, so you may have to wait longer during these times. There is also public transportation which you have to pay for, but I haven't personally seen any of these buses reach the area in Piscataway where Robert Wood is located, so you might want to inquire about that. In any case, I think that the Rutgers buses should be more than enough. Hope this helps... If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. It's always my pleasure to help a future colleague.

Hi!!!! Thanks sooo much for your thoughtful reply.

I think I am actually going to relocate to New Brunswick. Driving is probably very bad, and I dont want to waste valuable study while im on the train. I looked at apartments in the "Colony House" in NB which is about a 5 minute drive from med school. Do you know of any med students that live there?

Thanks... Are you currently an M1?

beponychick said:
Hi!!!! Thanks sooo much for your thoughtful reply.

I think I am actually going to relocate to New Brunswick. Driving is probably very bad, and I dont want to waste valuable study while im on the train. I looked at apartments in the "Colony House" in NB which is about a 5 minute drive from med school. Do you know of any med students that live there?

Thanks... Are you currently an M1?

I'm actually in the same boat you're in. I just graduated in December and will be starting medical school in August. I'm currently trying to make the decision between Robert Wood and NYU. Both are great schools, but I would really love to live in the city and try something new since I already experienced the whole New Brunswick scene during my undergraduate years at Rutgers. But then again, I would be saving about 60K over the course of four years if I went to Robert Wood. So basically I'm asking some doctors I know for their recommendations at this point, and of course enjoying my time off :)

MDDM said:
I'm actually in the same boat you're in. I just graduated in December and will be starting medical school in August. I'm currently trying to make the decision between Robert Wood and NYU. Both are great schools, but I would really love to live in the city and try something new since I already experienced the whole New Brunswick scene during my undergraduate years at Rutgers. But then again, I would be saving about 60K over the course of four years if I went to Robert Wood. So basically I'm asking some doctors I know for their recommendations at this point, and of course enjoying my time off :)

Congratulations on your acceptance to NYU! It's a great school and you have a very difficult decision. NYU has a very good reputation (as far as I know) so you cannot go wrong with it. And Im sure the money will not even matter in the long run. But then again, RWJ is a great school also. Let us know what you decide and maybe we'll be classmates! :)

MDDM said:
These buses are free, and yes, anyone can take them; they won't check your Rutgers ID to get on a bus. I've seen 50 year old women get on them with their groceries! They do get crowded during peak times (afternoon), and any Rutgers student can tell you about their experiences with a bus door closing on them, lol.

Haha I couldn't tell you the number of times that has happened to me....or even how many times I had to sprint just to catch a bus.

Anyways, has anyone filled out their financial aid yet?? I just did the online application and I budgetted the full $43,000 (after I recovered from the panic attack this number sent me into) I was wondering if I should have looked into it more instead of just trusting the RWJ budget. What did everyone else do with their forms?

I am going to be attending rwj next yr but what forms are you talking about? Did we get something in the mail?
-mike

thorg12 said:
I am going to be attending rwj next yr but what forms are you talking about? Did we get something in the mail?
-mike

Yeah I got a letter in the mail saying to fill out the app online. I'm sure you'll get it soon (I live in NB so I get it all real quickly).

smallqt said:
Yeah I got a letter in the mail saying to fill out the app online. I'm sure you'll get it soon (I live in NB so I get it all real quickly).

I got the letter in the mail, but I didnt see any application online. Which one are you referring to? There is a link on their website for the FAFSA and some loan information, but I didnt see any formal application. I must be blind. Do you mind posting the specific link?

Thanks so much. I assume you already sent in your FAFSA?

Yeah I did my fafsa and filled out that app last night. Did anyone else do it?

Do you guys know if we are supposed to include parental information on the FAFSA? Or should we just send the tax forms directly to the schools without putting the actual information on the FAFSA?

beponychick said:
Thanks!!! Should I wait until my FAFSA is filed to fill this application out?

I don't think you have to wait for FAFSA to fill out the UMDNJ app. The applications ask completely different questions so it shouldn't matter if you do the UMDNJ first.

NehsNairb said:
I don't think you have to wait for FAFSA to fill out the UMDNJ app. The applications ask completely different questions so it shouldn't matter if you do the UMDNJ first.

Thanks! This will be my project for the weekend. :)

Hey, I am still sitting in the highly-competitive post-interview club. I want to call to find out if decisions are made, but I fear annoying the admissions personnel. Has anyone in this group received a decision? Thanks

PolarBear04 said:
Hey, I am still sitting in the highly-competitive post-interview club. I want to call to find out if decisions are made, but I fear annoying the admissions personnel. Has anyone in this group received a decision? Thanks

I think you should just wait to hear something from them. They will definitely send you a letter with their decision (acceptance or alternate list).

I hope you hear good news!!!

I just got the call (well, voicemail) from Dr. Terregino. I was studying in the library and my phone went off, so naturally I didn't pick it up. After a while I checked the voicemail and heard the good news. Apparently she called my home and my dad gave her my cell number!

Looks like I'm going to have to decide between NJMS and RWJ. Any words of encouragement?

chiggachu said:
I just got the call (well, voicemail) from Dr. Terregino. I was studying in the library and my phone went off, so naturally I didn't pick it up. After a while I checked the voicemail and heard the good news. Apparently she called my home and my dad gave her my cell number!

Looks like I'm going to have to decide between NJMS and RWJ. Any words of encouragement?

CONGRATULATIONS! and welcome!!!!

You have a tough decision! both are great schools and you cant go wrong with either one.

Are you going to the Spring reception? I just got the email about it today!

Last edited:
I might go to the reception. I will be at school that day, but it might be worth skipping a day and driving home for the weekend just to check it out. Maybe I'll see you guys there.

chiggachu said:
I might go to the reception. I will be at school that day, but it might be worth skipping a day and driving home for the weekend just to check it out. Maybe I'll see you guys there.

you should definitely come!!!

Its going to be great! :)

Does anyone hold an acceptance from a December interview or later? Thanks

PolarBear04 said:
Does anyone hold an acceptance from a December interview or later? Thanks
I have an acceptance with a late January interview

roca88 said:
I just got the spring reception e-mail, and I'm going..curious to see of all the people I know, who will be going to RWJMS like old friends from HS and stuff. Should be cool, as RWJ always knows how to treat their guests well, unlike NJMS to say the least.

Could one of you guys post what day the spring admitted students reception is? They haven't bothered to tell us first-years, so I have no idea. I just want to keep that day open so I can come (since they usually ask current students to come talk to you guys).

Let me think here....I feel like last year it was a Friday, close to the end of April....so my guess would be April 21st?

Sureshot83 said:
Could one of you guys post what day the spring admitted students reception is? They haven't bothered to tell us first-years, so I have no idea. I just want to keep that day open so I can come (since they usually ask current students to come talk to you guys).

Let me think here....I feel like last year it was a Friday, close to the end of April....so my guess would be April 21st?

You got it.

Hey there, I just received the signed letter from Dr. Terregrino inviting me to participate on the alternate list. I am going to fill out the alternate form, and send it back just in case a spot opens up. It looks like my chances at RWJ are minuscule now. I am going to have to try my luck elsewhere :( See you guys around ...

PolarBear04 said:
Hey there, I just received the signed letter from Dr. Terregrino inviting me to participate on the alternate list. I am going to fill out the alternate form, and send it back just in case a spot opens up. It looks like my chances at RWJ are minuscule now. I am going to have to try my luck elsewhere :( See you guys around ...

Hi PolarBear,

Im sorry to hear that. Did your letter just say "alternate list" or was it "high priority alternate list?" If it is the latter, than your chances might be better. But in either case, make sure you keep in touch with Dr. Terregino in the next few months. She is an incredible lady, and conversing with her may help you out.

I am afraid it is "alternate list." This is a learning experience for me. I did not interview well at RWJ, and I sent in some pathetic letter about my interest in their MD/MBA program. Fortunately, I only sent it to RWJ. I kind of feel embarrassed to speak with Dr. Terregrino, but I probably will to determine where my application can be improved in case I need to go through the application process next year (just in case my thoughts were off). Hopefully, I will earn a position at one of the other schools I interviewed at, and not lose a year. Good luck to you Beponychick and maybe I will be the one lucky person that gets in off the alternate list :)

beponychick said:
Hi PolarBear,

Im sorry to hear that. Did your letter just say "alternate list" or was it "high priority alternate list?" If it is the latter, than your chances might be better. But in either case, make sure you keep in touch with Dr. Terregino in the next few months. She is an incredible lady, and conversing with her may help you out.

PolarBear04 said:
I am afraid it is "alternate list." This is a learning experience for me. I did not interview well at RWJ, and I sent in some pathetic letter about my interest in their MD/MBA program. Fortunately, I only sent it to RWJ. I kind of feel embarrassed to speak with Dr. Terregrino, but I probably will to determine where my application can be improved in case I need to go through the application process next year (just in case my thoughts were off). Hopefully, I will earn a position at one of the other schools I interviewed at, and not lose a year. Good luck to you Beponychick and maybe I will be the one lucky person that gets in off the alternate list :)

Dont be embarassed. Ive been through this process two years ago and was placed on the alternate list at RWJ. During these two years, I maintained contact with Dr. T. I emailed her pretty much once every few months. I think it definitely helped my application this year, since she knew I really wanted to go to the school. If I were you, I would email her right now, tell her RWJ is one of your top choices, and see if she gives you any indication of how you can improve your file. She is really a wonderful lady and Im sure she will give you some valuable information.

All the best to you! :luck:

hahaha i finally got an interview, well I called RWJ quite a few times in the last 12weeks and i always heard " you should hear something next week, or by next tuesday the latest" well I had not heard a word out of them until yesterday when i received an interview invite. Its for march 28th. I asked the lady on the phone if there were still spots open or if this was just for the waitlist and she said they only interview if there are spots open. Do you guys think this is a waste? From what i can tell lots of people are waitlisted and i havent heard of anyone getting an acceptance from them this late in the game.

gotgame83 said:
hahaha i finally got an interview, well I called RWJ quite a few times in the last 12weeks and i always heard " you should hear something next week, or by next tuesday the latest" well I had not heard a word out of them until yesterday when i received an interview invite. Its for march 28th. I asked the lady on the phone if there were still spots open or if this was just for the waitlist and she said they only interview if there are spots open. Do you guys think this is a waste? From what i can tell lots of people are waitlisted and i havent heard of anyone getting an acceptance from them this late in the game.

It might be tough. Do you have other acceptances?

yes at UMDNJ-SOM, i really like SOM so im not to worried about the RWJ interview but it would be nice to get accepted there. Its just reaaaallly late in the interview process, its almost laughable.

gotgame83 said:
yes at UMDNJ-SOM, i really like SOM so im not to worried about the RWJ interview but it would be nice to get accepted there. Its just reaaaallly late in the interview process, its almost laughable.

Personally, I would go to the interview. There is still a chance. What day did they want to set the interview for?

beponychick said:
Personally, I would go to the interview. There is still a chance. What day did they want to set the interview for?

oops, i just saw that its for march 28th. i would still go though. It may be good to have a different perspective on another school. The people there are very nice and the whole interview experience was very positive form me. Good luck if you do decide to go. :luck: :luck: :)

Yea its set for tuesday march 28th. My lab professor knows about the med application process so I will be able to get out of lab that day. That alone is enough for me to go. Im going to go and try my best, just like I did at my other interviews however im not expecting much. At least I will get a chance to see the school and probably try my luck with the rest of the waitlisters. Thanks for your postive reply. And congrats on ur acceptance!

gotgame83 said:
Yea its set for tuesday march 28th. My lab professor knows about the med application process so I will be able to get out of lab that day. That alone is enough for me to go. Im going to go and try my best, just like I did at my other interviews however im not expecting much. At least I will get a chance to see the school and probably try my luck with the rest of the waitlisters. Thanks for your postive reply. And congrats on ur acceptance!

Yea, if I were you, I would definitely go.
You never know, You might be the one they were waiting for.
Good luck on the 28th

I got my mini packet in the mail today. Does anyone have any interview experience with a Dr. Mark Butler?

FYI......here is the match list for the RWJ Class of 2006:

http://rwjms.umdnj.edu/news_publications/news/match2006.htm

Pretty good, in my humble opinion! 8 orthos (2 penn, 1 northwestern), 7 anesthesia (all in great places), 1 combined plastics (only 88 spots in the country), 1 derm at MGH, 1 neurosurgery, 1 ENT, 1 rad-onc (111 spots in the country), 5 ophtho, a lot of rads, a bunch of IM and peds at nationally reknowned hospitals, etc. There's a lot to look forward to if you've been admitted to the RWJ Class of 2010.

My advice....compare this list to the other (private) schools you have been accepted to and see if the difference is worth 80 grand over four years. I strongly believe that unless you get into a top 10 (maaaaybe top 20) school, the extra cost of tuition is just going to represent two years worth of residency salary down the drain.

Gotgame83: Sorry that I don't really know anything specific about Dr. Mark Butler, but a quick online search revealed he is an orthopaedic surgeon and an alum of the school, if that helps. Also, I am pretty sure that the class is not full, as I know a few of my friends were accepted in April last year, after being interviewed in March.