Random AADSAS Questions: 2017-2018 Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Should you write in bullets or paragraphs for your experiences?
I wrote 2 or 3 sentences ea for mine

Members don't see this ad.

Just to be clear for course entry: Since there is no "Other Science" and "Non Science" categories for course subject, should we just add the course as whatever we think it should be? Ex: Piano should be listed as Music, Science Human Nutrition listed as Nutrition.
One or two mistakes not the end of the world, I made countless of mistakes (i am talking about 20+) when I entered my coursework haha and they fixed everything. Dont stress out so much. Good luck

Soooo, I am currently doing the "experience" section right now. If the number of hours of research varied each semester, how do I go about doing that on that section?
Just approximate the avg, no need to be perfect.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I order my transcripts now and they are sent to AADSAS before I submit my application, will AADSAS keep them until I submit my app?

seriously why won't it let me save my courses. what the heck

I tried to input my grades using Safari and I was having the same issue. I had to switch to Google Chrome for things to go smoothly. I use a Mac btw.

Reactions: 1 user
If I order my transcripts now and they are sent to AADSAS before I submit my application, will AADSAS keep them until I submit my app?
Yes, make sure you print the matching form to send with it.

When you talk about your shadowing experiences, what should you input for "organization" and "supervisor" if you have shadowed multiple people?

When you talk about your shadowing experiences, what should you input for "organization" and "supervisor" if you have shadowed multiple people?
Like multiple people in the same office or what?

Each organization separately

Yes, what about diff people at same office?

Since you only get 6 entries for the experiences section, I would create 1 entry for shadowing. List the dentist you shadowed the most as the primary "supervisor". You can always talk about other people in the same office in the description section!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A few more...

1. Under "Program Materials," some schools have their own essay questions for you to fill out. Do these have to be completed in order to e-submit, or can they be filled out at a later date? (Also, are these what people refer to as Supplemental Applications?)

2. I'm having trouble choosing schools b/c I don't have a DAT score yet. I'm taking it July 31. However I want to e-submit now since transcript verification takes a while. I've read about people in my position applying to just 1 school to get the application in, and then adding more later based on how they do. Are there any downsides to this approach? B/c if not, this is my plan lol
1. Those are likely supplemental materials/applications. You should treat them as separate from AADSAS and follow their directions.

2. The downside is adding schools late means that they have less time to review your application and invite you for an interview.

Under the experience section, should I list Dental shadowing and dental assisting seperately? Would they consider my employment as a dental assistant as shadowing?
I would choose one or the other. If you were considered an employee, it's not technically shadowing. If you shadowed outside of working or other dentists then you can list that.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but how would I talk about my research if it was for credit?? All my research was for credit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know if AADSAS will accept secure electronic transcripts? My school offers this to shorten delivery time...

Anyone know if AADSAS will accept secure electronic transcripts? My school offers this to shorten delivery time...
They should. They did last cycle when I applied and I just sent another through my schools system. If the system your school uses has AADSAS in their records then it should be fine.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

How should you describe shadowing? Should it describe your experience itself or what you have learned throughout it

How should you describe shadowing? Should it describe your experience itself or what you have learned throughout it
It says, "Description/Key Responsibilities," So I think it is more of a description of what you did and your responsibilities. You can describe what you learned from it in interviews or personal statement if need be.

Since you only get 6 entries for the experiences section, I would create 1 entry for shadowing. List the dentist you shadowed the most as the primary "supervisor". You can always talk about other people in the same office in the description section!

You get more than 6, you just can star up to 6 experiences you feel are the most important to you.

Sorry guys I started a thread asking this question without knowing about this one.

There probably is an obvious answer to this question, but I want to make sure everything is right when filling out the app. There is a question that asks how many people other than our parent(s) lived in my primary household during the majority of my life. I don't have any siblings so do I say zero or do I count myself and say one?

I have a question about entering the course subject.. So for example:

CHEM 232 is Elementary Organic Chemistry I, so would I list this as Organic Chemistry or Chemistry under SUBJECT?

Sorry guys I started a thread asking this question without knowing about this one.

But, there probably is an obvious answer to this question, but I want to make sure everything is right when filling out the app. There is a question that asks how many people other than our parent(s) lived in my primary household during the majority of my life. I don't have any siblings so do I say zero or do I count myself and say one?

You say zero. It's already implied you lived with your parents during majority of your life.

You say zero. It's already implied you lived with your parents during majority of your life.
I'd think he would say one. It doesn't say, "other than yourself"

Has anyone had success with interfolio yet?

I'd think he would say one. It doesn't say, "other than yourself"

But it's asking how many lived in your household during the majority of YOUR life. Wouldn't they assume you are part of that equation already? I feel putting 1 would imply you have a sibling. Even if you put 5 does it really matter? Doubt they look into it like the CIA lol. Maybe I'm wrong though, but I'll just keep it the way I have it.

Has anyone had success with interfolio yet?

I didn't get any notification from interfolio after I submitted the letter requests using the unique interfolio emails. What did you put for the due date part? I just put June 5th since it says on interfolio it takes 3 business days to send.

I didn't get any notification from interfolio after I submitted the letter requests using the unique interfolio emails. What did you put for the due date part? I just put June 5th since it says on interfolio it takes 3 business days to send.
Yeah, I'm in the same spot. I figure it has some processing time. We can still submit without them and just fulfill the request when they go through?

I just did a week and put June 8th, I don't think it'll be that big of a deal. They'll go in whenever the requests go through.

What did you put in the message sectionm I just said, "Interfolio"

Yeah, I'm in the same spot. I figure it has some processing time. We can still submit without them and just fulfill the request when they go through?

I just did a week and put June 8th, I don't think it'll be that big of a deal. They'll go in whenever the requests go through.

What did you put in the message sectionm I just said, "Interfolio"

Ya you can submit apps before letters. I just put "Letters to be sent to AADSAS via Interfolio"

Under the experience section for extracurriculars, I put that I was the president of two clubs. (Both of which meant a lot to me).
Since I was the president, I am confused on who to put for supervisor (aren't I my own supervisor? :nod:) and how to answer the question, "May we contact this organization?"
I mean yeah, each club of course had a club advisor, but in one the clubs, I was rarely ever in contact with the supervisor unless it was to get events or budgets approved (which I know is not exactly uncommon). So I am not sure how to answer this.

Just keep in mind that you guys definitely dont have to submit your application on June 1st, just take your time with your application.

For the Interfolio question, I just uploaded 4 of my letters onto the AADSAS app, I'll have to pay whenever the letters get sent out? On the AADSAS page it says the status of the letters are Requested

I did a pre-dental program (Gateway to Dentistry) that involved lab procedures and clinic shadowing. Does this experience go under academic enrichment or dental shadowing? Both?

Last edited:
For the Interfolio question, I just uploaded 4 of my letters onto the AADSAS app, I'll have to pay whenever the letters get sent out? On the AADSAS page it says the status of the letters are Requested
yes, you have to pay for each letter you requested interfolio to send out, so go on your interfolio acct to pay for it and you are set.

When interfolio gets the request, they will make an invoice ($4/letter) and send them off. They'll notify us when they get contact from AADSAS. I sent two letters and didn't get any notification yet from interfolio

yes, you have to pay for each letter you requested interfolio to send out, so go on your interfolio acct to pay for it and you are set.

The payment doesn't appear on Interfolio, that's the only issue.

This is what I have on AADSAS and what's on Interfolio

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 5.32.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 5.32.04 PM.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 5.32.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 5.32.43 PM.png
    113.9 KB · Views: 81
Under the experience section for extracurriculars, I put that I was the president of two clubs. (Both of which meant a lot to me).
Since I was the president, I am confused on who to put for supervisor (aren't I my own supervisor? :nod:) and how to answer the question, "May we contact this organization?"
I mean yeah, each club of course had a club advisor, but in one the clubs, I was rarely ever in contact with the supervisor unless it was to get events or budgets approved (which I know is not exactly uncommon). So I am not sure how to answer this.
I agree, I was not in close communication with my club's specific adviser either... I don't know how your school works, but mine has like a Student Organization Office which I was in contact a lot for booking rooms, starting fundraisers, etc. Do you have an overarching supervisor of all the student orgs that you were familiar with? That would probably be equivalent and I might do that for one of my organizations.
If not, then probably best to email your supervisor and be like "hey sooo I know we didnt talk but fyi im listing you." The reality is that if contacted, no one's going to react poorly, unless they're completely caught off guard.

I have everything ready to submit except my score, will be taking the dat next month. should I open an app and fill it out, send transcripts/LOR(interforlio) or is it not possible to send my transcripts in until I have submitted my app? sorry if im asking dumb questions, nobody I know has done these types of applications before so I don't know what to do!

Hi, can I start my application today, fill some of the info, and save it to submit it later ( 1 month from now)? or will my info disappear?
also, can I send my transcripts from that college I attended before submitting my app?
and if so, how can I send it?

Thanks!

Where is the transcript form? I have yet to fill out my academic history, so would I only be able to access the form after filling this section out?
I was planning on printing out the form before filling out the bulk of my application.