Random AADSAS Questions: 2017-2018 Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
True true true, I'll think about it.... thanks for your help!
Never understood people on here asking questions that seem to have obvious answers. Now my cycle rolls around and I am that person :laugh:
You will absolutely transform over the course of the cycle, I promise you that. I have a completely different outlook/perspective from just last year. This was such a period of personal growth for me, it's pretty crazy in hindsight. Anyway, ask away, it's much better to ask here and now than to regret not asking before submitting!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
how do I enter in a class that only has the options of credit/no credit which I passed and received credit for? AADSAS is asking me for a grade

What do you put in the LOR request for due date and personal message/notes???

Members don't see this ad :)
Similar question to Guocamole, How should I enter a class that I have No credit for? my grade is "NC", should I just input that? And for W??

Can I send in my transcripts if I haven't started/sent my online application? (waiting on fee waiver assistance reply)

will the following rec letters suffice:

2 science (calc 2 and a my chemistry capstone course)
1 nonsciece (general education course)
1 research letter from my PI

(don't have dental rec letters But I do not think I am applying to any schools that require one (NYU, Columbia, Upenn, Harvard, Temple)

Last edited:
Are you supposed to waive your rights for LOE or not??

List exactly as it shows on your transcript.

As for course subject, does AADSAS have a PDF document somewhere in the app to offer some guidance?

Thank you!

If a class is repeated and no credit is given, but a grade is assigned how does that go into GPA calculation? The school policy is no credit for repeated classes but I got a grade anyway.. because I repeated Chemistry and Physics since they were 5 years old. Thank you for any replies in advance!

You better!

I think it's obvious that all dental schools do not want applicants to see their own letters. If I am correct, I do waive means you cannot see your letter, which is the right way to go.

If a class is repeated and no credit is given, but a grade is assigned how does that go into GPA calculation? The school policy is no credit for repeated classes but I got a grade anyway.. because I repeated Chemistry and Physics since they were 5 years old. Thank you for any replies in advance!

AADSAS policy is that grades of both attempts will be calculated.

how do I enter in a class that only has the options of credit/no credit which I passed and received credit for? AADSAS is asking me for a grade

Similar question to Guocamole, How should I enter a class that I have No credit for? my grade is "NC", should I just input that? And for W??
Last cycle there was an option for pass/fail, is that not the case anymore? There was also a place for W or WF.

I did.

Just to be clear for course entry: Since there is no "Other Science" and "Non Science" categories for course subject, should we just add the course as whatever we think it should be? Ex: Piano should be listed as Music, Science Human Nutrition listed as Nutrition.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you list your general chemistry course as intro to chemistry or inorganic chemistry?

Last cycle there was an option for pass/fail, is that not the case anymore? There was also a place for W or WF.

I am manually inputting the grades, and it's not like a dropdown menu where you select the grade, you have to type it in now.

at my school organic chemistry is CHEM 261, for subject do i put this under chemistry or organic chemistry?

same questions for bio, BIO 566 was Comparative Physiology, for subject do i put this under just bio or physiology?

I am a lil lost. thanks for any help!

Hey everyone! I was wondering, what subject would a honors research product where credit and grade was received go under? So far closest I can think of is "special topics". To make it more confusing, I did my honors project in the Life Science department outside of my own faculty of Health sciences.

Do you list your general chemistry course as intro to chemistry or inorganic chemistry?

I put gen chem as inorganic since most schools when they list their prereqs they specifically use the word "inorganic" rather than gen chem. But honestly it probably doesn't even matter since they'll tell from the course title anyways if it was an organic or inorganic class

Reactions: 1 users
For Transcript Entry: when choosing a subject from the drop down list, is it better to be more general or more specific?

For example, for BIOL 455 Immunology, would I choose Biology or Immunology? Another example: MATH 1210 Applied Calculus... Mathematics or Calculus?

Oops just realized some people have already asked the same type of question... so I am also wondering!

just tryna enter my courses and it won't let me add a semester or save my courses... it's just grayed out, the only option is to add a course :l

For courses with labs, should I write "Course name with Lab" or increase the credit worth?
Does the same apply to courses with tutorials?
Is CAS grade the class average?

seriously why won't it let me save my courses. what the heck

seriously why won't it let me save my courses. what the heck

Most probably because you missed an input. Check and make sure you inputted the digits after the decimal place for your credit hours.

This maybe a silly question but can you start the application but edit it later (tomorrow) before you submit? Or once I open it I have to submit it?

just tryna enter my courses and it won't let me add a semester or save my courses... it's just grayed out, the only option is to add a course :l
most likely missed an input, make sure you selected if you were freshman, sophmore.. etc and if its completed or not.

I am signed up for ochem 1 lab for summer session 2, but I am also signed up for it this coming fall because I don't think I am going to take it in the summer... My transcript was sent earlier today and I think it has me listed as going to be taking it in the summer session 2 and in the fall. How should I list this planned coursework? I am pretty sure I am taking it in the fall

For those using interfolio, what did you put for the personal message/notes section. Technically I shouldn't have to write anything since my letter is being sent via interfolio to aadsas, but it won't let me submit without making some comments.

For Transcript Entry: when choosing a subject from the drop down list, is it better to be more general or more specific?

For example, for BIOL 455 Immunology, would I choose Biology or Immunology? Another example: MATH 1210 Applied Calculus... Mathematics or Calculus?

I went with more general according to what the course subject list said. So general chemistry as chemistry. Unless I should change this??

http://www.adea.org/uploadedFiles/G..._ADEA_AADSAS/ADEAAADSASCourseSubjects2018.pdf

What "Academic Status" should I put if I took college courses for credit during high school..?

For those using interfolio, what did you put for the personal message/notes section. Technically I shouldn't have to write anything since my letter is being sent via interfolio to aadsas, but it won't let me submit without making some comments.

I am also using Interfolio and haven't figured this out. Isn't there an option where we should either submit them paper or electronic?

What "Academic Status" should I put if I took college courses for credit during high school..?

I took a college course in high school also, and it showed up on my first semester transcript so I put freshmen.

I took a college course in high school also, and it showed up on my first semester transcript so I put freshmen.

Hmm, but you attended the same college where you took the courses as a high schooler, right?

Hmm, but you attended the same college where you took the courses as a high schooler, right?

Yes. You should have been enrolled at that college when you took the course, right?

Should your experiences in the supporting information be different than anything mentioned in the personal statement?

A few more...

1. Under "Program Materials," some schools have their own essay questions for you to fill out. Do these have to be completed in order to e-submit, or can they be filled out at a later date? (Also, are these what people refer to as Supplemental Applications?)

2. I'm having trouble choosing schools b/c I don't have a DAT score yet. I'm taking it July 31. However I want to e-submit now since transcript verification takes a while. I've read about people in my position applying to just 1 school to get the application in, and then adding more later based on how they do. Are there any downsides to this approach? B/c if not, this is my plan lol

Yes. You should have been enrolled at that college when you took the course, right?

Nah, I took a couple of pre-college courses at a different university from where I eventually went for undergrad. Pre-college summer program type.

Under the experience section, should I list Dental shadowing and dental assisting seperately? Would they consider my employment as a dental assistant as shadowing?

I've got two questions:

1. For "Experiences," the system provides an option to select either Volunteering or Shadowing, but if I was able to shadow at a volunteering event, what should I select? Or should I input it twice, once to describe the volunteering and once to describe the shadowing?

2. Do I actually have to physically mail the Transcript Request Form to my schools?

Thanks!

I am also using Interfolio and haven't figured this out. Isn't there an option where we should either submit them paper or electronic?

I feel like we can basically put whatever we like in the "Personal Message/Notes" box. It's not something the schools will be using to weigh your application, that's what the letter itself is for. I'm thinking I'll just put, "Interfolio"

Where I am a little confused is we check a box that says we agree to allow the dental schools to contact the evaluators via the provided email, but the email we provide for interfolio will not allow the dental schools to contact them obviously.. hmmm

I've got two questions:

1. For "Experiences," the system provides an option to select either Volunteering or Shadowing, but if I was able to shadow at a volunteering event, what should I select? Or should I input it twice, once to describe the volunteering and once to describe the shadowing?

2. Do I actually have to physically mail the Transcript Request Form to my schools?

Thanks!

1. I've always thought you should pick one or the other. If you were volunteering, you were volunteering. If you were shadowing, you were shadowing. For instance, I volunteered as a dental assistant at a clinic, but I wouldn't say I was shadowing because I wasn't. I also purely shadowed dentists and I wouldn't say I was volunteering.

2. Yes, you do have to mail the Transcript request form, unless your school uses an online transcript request system that allows you to enter the special ADEA AADSAS code. For my university I was able to do it all online and it worked great, but for my community college work I had to snail mail a ADEA request form and the school specific transcript request form and a check.

Last edited:
It keeps saying error when I try to delete a college in the 'colleges attended' section... frustrating. I have been trying to delete on different computers and browsers for the past hour.

If you get a W in a course, is it 0 credits? And where can you explain your reasons for obtaining the W's on the app? Thank you!

Need help reporting a class that I took pass/fail on the transcript entry. How do I go about this? Also, it was like a first year enrichment/orientation class. There was no subject that really matched this, so I selected "Special Topics". Would this suffice?

I also took a class and dropped it during the add/drop period at my school. Didn't get a W. Not on my transcript anywhere. Do I have to disclose this?

I also took a class and dropped it during the add/drop period at my school. Didn't get a W. Not on my transcript anywhere. Do I have to disclose this?

Nope. Good thing you dropped it early on.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi I attended pre college during my junior year of high school and got As on both of the courses i took then. I am now attending that exact same college and those grades also appear on my transcript. When i try to enter the grades on AADSAS I cant pick the year 2013 (which is when i took those courses) because I didnt start college until 2014 so that is the earliest option. What should I do?

Soooo, I am currently doing the "experience" section right now. If the number of hours of research varied each semester, how do I go about doing that on that section?

Should you write in bullets or paragraphs for your experiences?