ADEA 2023-2024 Application Questions thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If an applicant gets more than one offer in December, is there an option to hold a seat at more than one school? I understand it to be best practice to not do this to give other applicants a chance at admission. Also, if you get an acceptance on day one in December and accept that offer, but then later on another school gives you an offer that you would rather attend, can you give up the original acceptance to the school you accepted? I am guessing you will just forfeit the deposit you paid to hold the seat and then you can just accept the offer from the new school?
Read the Traffic Guidelines for AADSAS.

Members don't see this ad.

I q dropped a class because i was struggling with a death in the family. do i write about that circumstance on the "Education Interruption" section? or is there a different section for that? i dont see anything else it would be
Dropped a class or dropped a semester? The latter is more an interruption appropriate for the prompt.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you had to rank the most importance factors for admissions, how would you rank them? (GPA, DAT, PS, LOR, extracurriculars, etc)

If you had to rank the most importance factors for admissions, how would you rank them? (GPA, DAT, PS, LOR, extracurriculars, etc)
The biggest factor is whether the faculty would feel most comfortable training/proctoring the student with their patients. From my experience, this is based on dental experience (and recommendations), focus and persistence to learn hand skills, and clinical/interpersonal skills.

Has anyone received a secondary application from these schools?
Herman Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry
Temple
UT Health Houston
University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

Temple
UT Health Houston
for usc you need to pay on their website and then they will send email to confirm

upenn and temple nothing yet

do you guys think the covid essay carries much weight?
I didn't think so, I never got asked about it during any of my interviews. However each school may view it differently. If you do plan on writing something in it, I wouldn't use Covid as an excuse to explain poor grades if that's what happened, but rather what you did to pick yourself up

I just realized I starred one of the wrong experiences as most meaningful. I meant to highlight my volunteer work as a dental assistant but accidentally highlighted a volunteer event for a gymnastics meet. This shouldn't be too much of an issue right? I'm worried they won't look at my dental assistant volunteer position as closely because I accidentally didn't star it.

How closely do they review starred experiences vs non-starred experiences?

I just realized I starred one of the wrong experiences as most meaningful. I meant to highlight my volunteer work as a dental assistant but accidentally highlighted a volunteer event for a gymnastics meet. This shouldn't be too much of an issue right? I'm worried they won't look at my dental assistant volunteer position as closely because I accidentally didn't star it.

dontworryaboutit

Reactions: 1 users

You’ll be fine they’ll still see it

Be more careful next time. The few screeners I know may look quizzically at what you marked, but you can't do anything about it now. I'm sure any and all dental-related experiences will be examined closely.

Members don't see this ad :)
when putting your prereqs for schools, are you supposed to put all of the courses you've taken related to that field? like it says to put in your biology prereq, so do i put genetics, micro, physio, etc. in addition to the 1 year of intro bio + lab i did?
You could if you really wanted to, but I would only recommend putting it if it has a Bio course code. Like my genetics and physio was a Bio course code but my ecology and other biology related subjects weren’t. You don’t necessarily have to. Some schools ask for upper division courses and you’d put those there. Just get to the right amount of credits. You don’t have to include more unless you really feel like it

I applied to UCLA and UCSF without knowing they required psychology as a prereq lol. I thought it was just a recommended course. Can I take back the app and get a refund or did I just waste $200 lol
nope, that's a donation to the school. You would have had to put a course down for prerequisites on AADSAS, did you leave it empty?

Reactions: 1 user
Oh well you live and learn, and yes. I thought it was like harvard where you don't need to take cell bio but it has an option to put that down in the portal
Fair enough, I would advise checking each schools requirements going forward. As each school is different in what they require/recommend.

Could be worse! But now you know

Super late in the process (yes I know), but I was wondering if I should put money amount for the scholarships that I've received. I've been fortunate and blessed enough to get a full-ride to my current undergrad plus a few additional scholarships, and I'm not sure if that would be beneficial to disclose this information for my application. TIA!

Super late in the process (yes I know), but I was wondering if I should put money amount for the scholarships that I've received. I've been fortunate and blessed enough to get a full-ride to my current undergrad plus a few additional scholarships, and I'm not sure if that would be beneficial to disclose this information for my application. TIA!
it's not super late in the process...

Got a few Q's:
  • Would a (nearly) all-expenses paid study abroad trip to a STEM Academy be considered an academic enrichment program? It was a mix between intercultural experiences by meeting people from all over the world and attending workshops/working on projects in the STEM field through a lens of sustainability.
  • Should volunteering in the dental field be classified under dental experience or volunteering? Out of about 300 hours of volunteering, 100 of them are dental related. For comparison, I would have about 300 hours of dental experience without the dental volunteering, 400 with.

Got a few Q's:
  • Would a (nearly) all-expenses paid study abroad trip to a STEM Academy be considered an academic enrichment program? It was a mix between intercultural experiences by meeting people from all over the world and attending workshops/working on projects in the STEM field through a lens of sustainability.
  • Should volunteering in the dental field be classified under dental experience or volunteering? Out of about 300 hours of volunteering, 100 of them are dental related. For comparison, I would have about 300 hours of dental experience without the dental volunteering, 400 with.
1) How old were you? What were the selection criteria to participate? Did you have to pay to participate?
2) IMO, it's dental experience. Experience doesn't need to be paid... it's experience. :) What were you doing specifically?

For this type of question, they are marked necessary to answer, but my answer is no and it feels silly to just write No I do not. Should I just put something anyways?
Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 9.04.44 PM.png

I am attempting to submit my Howard application, however, considering I have not taken my DAT I cannot submit it. Should I upload a screenshot of my scheduled testing date so that I may be able to submit my application?

I am attempting to submit my Howard application, however, considering I have not taken my DAT I cannot submit it. Should I upload a screenshot of my scheduled testing date so that I may be able to submit my application?
You mean the specific Howard secondary application? When is your future DAT?

Temple
UT Health Houston
ut health houston doesnt have a secondary its just their primary

For the manual dexterity question, it says " Be sure to enter your response as a narrative list; do not use bullet points." What does that mean?

For the manual dexterity question, it says " Be sure to enter your response as a narrative list; do not use bullet points." What does that mean?
Just write it like you’re writing a list but not using bullet points. It’s relatively straight forward. Example:

“My manual dexterity has been demonstrated by my proficiency in knitting, my skills in baking and cake decorating, and painting in my free time. I also use delicate lab equipment to fertilize eggs which requires precise movements of my hands.”

**this is not mine. I completely made this up. But this is something what they would expect, and what I put on my application

Thoughts on using Chat GPT to edit writings on applications, and scoring personal statements?
I think you have to tread very lightly. Schools will be developing policy on what constitutes plagiarism with new AI technology. While it’s an extremely powerful tool, and certainly can be helpful with this process, you have to make sure you aren’t copying/pasting directly from the site.

@Mr.Smile12 are you able to provide any insight into this?

Hi there,

I'm a Canadian applicant who just recently graduated from University of Western Ontario. I'm applying to a lot of dental schools in the US, and I had a question regarding the transcript entry portion of the AADSAS application.

I've noticed that a lot of the universities in the US have prerequisites that equate a full year or two semesters to 8.0 credit hours (eg. Physics with lab, General Biology with lab, etc.). My issue lies in the fact that my university does not have a strict conversion rate for the credit hours. On the university site, it lists a full year course (or 1.0) as equivalent to 6.0 semester hour credits, but upon speaking to different department heads (eg. Physics, Chemistry, etc.) some say that a 0.5 credit is generally more than 3.0 semester hour credits.

I have heard that if my transcript entry is inaccurate, then my application will be delayed and sent back to me. However, at the same time I do not want my application to be screened out due to a discrepancy in credit hours between the Canadian and US system.

How should I proceed? Should I leave them as 3.0 semester hour credits, or should I include them as 4.0 semester hour credits? I have tried to contact ADEA many times, and they don't give me definite answer; I've also reached out to the admissions office of several schools in the US (eg. NSU, NYU, etc.) and they explained that they've had students from University of Western Ontario and that I shouldn't worry if the credit hours are off. With this in mind, I'd like another perspective.

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    52.9 KB · Views: 37
I'm able to ask chat gpt: how good is my personal statement, or rate my personal statement, or what do you think I should leave out to meet a character limit or what's missing or proofread my personal statement? using it to edit a personal statement instead of a human writer wouldn't be plagiarism right? It's still your work just better. You could use Chat GPT to generate an entire personal statement but it would just be an essay with a bunch of words that have no meaning, and this is very clear example of plagiarism, why would anyone take such a risk after spending so much on DAT and spending much more on applying.
sounds like you have already made up your mind...

I'm conflicted, the drafts rewritten by chat gpt are just so much better, but I would like to know if it is plagiarism or not.
Read

There is increased sensitivity to the use of chatbots in writing admissions essays, including integrating a detection software program to scan essays.

I need to verify that you attest that all your essays are your own original work and that you have had minimal editing assistance from people or chatbots when submitting your application. I have been told application services have added that declaration.

Thanks for the article, it was a great read. Sigh, writing makes me so nervous, I feel like they're gonna be passing judgment on every single word on my application, I know they probably won't except for personal statements and supplementals but I just can't help but worry, I defo wasn't this nervous applying to undergrad.
trust the process...

Hi there,

I'm a Canadian applicant who just recently graduated from University of Western Ontario. I'm applying to a lot of dental schools in the US, and I had a question regarding the transcript entry portion of the AADSAS application.

I've noticed that a lot of the universities in the US have prerequisites that equate a full year or two semesters to 8.0 credit hours (eg. Physics with lab, General Biology with lab, etc.). My issue lies in the fact that my university does not have a strict conversion rate for the credit hours. On the university site, it lists a full year course (or 1.0) as equivalent to 6.0 semester hour credits, but upon speaking to different department heads (eg. Physics, Chemistry, etc.) some say that a 0.5 credit is generally more than 3.0 semester hour credits.

I have heard that if my transcript entry is inaccurate, then my application will be delayed and sent back to me. However, at the same time I do not want my application to be screened out due to a discrepancy in credit hours between the Canadian and US system.

How should I proceed? Should I leave them as 3.0 semester hour credits, or should I include them as 4.0 semester hour credits? I have tried to contact ADEA many times, and they don't give me definite answer; I've also reached out to the admissions office of several schools in the US (eg. NSU, NYU, etc.) and they explained that they've had students from University of Western Ontario and that I shouldn't worry if the credit hours are off. With this in mind, I'd like another perspective.
Anyone able to give any insight on this? Thanks.

Thanks for the article, it was a great read. Sigh, writing makes me so nervous, I feel like they're gonna be passing judgment on every single word on my application, I know they probably won't except for personal statements and supplementals but I just can't help but worry, I defo wasn't this nervous applying to undergrad.
AI wasn't this prolific when you applied to undergrad. Understand that those applying to undergrad now will be REALLY stressed out about AI detection and plagiarism.

does Bostons supplemental have additional questions? i have paid the fee but have not received any additional questions. is there like a big compiled list somewhere of schools whos supplementaries are additional essays

does Bostons supplemental have additional questions? i have paid the fee but have not received any additional questions. is there like a big compiled list somewhere of schools whos supplementaries are additional essays
No, not that I’m aware of. I think you’d get better feedback asking this question in BUs school specific thread rather than being buried in this one

I have a couple of schools on the AADSAS application that the decision status says none even though I submitted secondaries and fees a while ago. Should I be worried?

Do you know if they actually update in AADSAS, or do they have their own portal?
I know LECOM updates through their portal, I've checked all of them and they just say submitted. The one that worries me is Midwestern Illinois because my application for Midwestern Arizona says under review but Illinois says none

I have a couple of schools on the AADSAS application that the decision status says none even though I submitted secondaries and fees a while ago. Should I be worried?
I think application status is different (your application could be incomplete, complete, or under review= somebody’s reading it)

Decision status will be things like
Under review, invited for interview, on hold, accepted, or rejected.

I had a few schools with that status. If you received emails from the schools saying your application is complete and under review then the only thing you should worry about is when it says “invited for interview” or when you get an email. Not every school updates the status unless something changes. Like interview or acceptance.

There are a couple schools that use their own portals. Which they generally will tell you in an email if that’s the case.

Emails from schools seem to be more updated than AADSAS portals anyways, at least in my experience from last cycle. Just go with what those say. If you’re app is complete then everything is good

I had a few schools with that status. If you received emails from the schools saying your application is complete and under review then the only thing you should worry about is when it says “invited for interview” or when you get an email. Not every school updates the status unless something changes. Like interview or acceptance.

There are a couple schools that use their own portals. Which they generally will tell you in an email if that’s the case.

Emails from schools seem to be more updated than AADSAS portals anyways, at least in my experience from last cycle. Just go with what those say. If you’re app is complete then everything is good
Okay, thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.