Random AADSAS Questions: 2017-2018 Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeethAreMyThing

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, it's that time again- AADSAS opens tomorrow, and the inevitable flood of questions will soon follow. Instead of spamming the board, I thought it would be nice to carry on the tradition of a centralized thread for random questions you may have. I will do my best to answer questions, but I'm sure many other rising D1s and current students can fill in the gaps! Good luck to all applicants, these next 6 months will be a journey!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
goodluck guys! I'll be participating with OP.

Reactions: 5 users
On the instructions for processing your transcript it says to, "Make sure your ADEA AADSAS identification number is included on or with each transcript." How do you tell the registrar's office to handle this? Do you just give them your aadsas ID and tell them to write it on a separate piece of paper or something to get mailed along with the transcript and matching form??

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Guess I'll ask what I've been wondering. I attended a summer enrichment program and received a letter of recommendation from the dental program. How do I submit this letter with my application? (Confused because my other letters will be sent electronically by the letter writers... this letter I received last summer in my email.) Or does this not count as a letter of eval in that same way as those ones do?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Guess I'll ask what I've been wondering. I attended a summer enrichment program and received a letter of recommendation from the dental program. How do I submit this letter with my application? (Confused because my other letters will be sent electronically by the letter writers... this letter I received last summer in my email.) Or does this not count as a letter of eval in that same way as those ones do?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You only get to submit a committee letter (or 2 faculty letters)+ one other letter. This extra letter you either have to scan it and submit yourself or you have to ask the summer enrichment program to upload it for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you need to put 4 LORs on the application, or is 3 sufficient?

For awards and honors, can i include how i graduated w/ latin honors (magna/summa cum laude, etc.)? I wasn't sure if that'd be applicable

Please keep in mind that this information was valid during the previous cycle, I am not sure if anything has changed.

On the instructions for processing your transcript it says to, "Make sure your ADEA AADSAS identification number is included on or with each transcript." How do you tell the registrar's office to handle this? Do you just give them your aadsas ID and tell them to write it on a separate piece of paper or something to get mailed along with the transcript and matching form??
I was given transcript request forms from AADSAS for every school that I listed. On that form were instructions for both you and the registrar. My name, university, AADSAS ID, DENTPIN ID, and date of birth were filled out automatically.

The instructions for the applicant are:
"To assure prompt handling, complete the ADEA AADSAS Transcript Request Form. Print the form and submit it to your school’s Registrar.

Do you need to put 4 LORs on the application, or is 3 sufficient?
As stated by Alpha, I would include 4 letters to maximize the likelihood of meeting the school's requirement. Personally, I had 2 science professors, an orthodontist, and a general dentist.

For awards and honors, can i include how i graduated w/ latin honors (magna/summa cum laude, etc.)? I wasn't sure if that'd be applicable
Again, as Alpha said, you could definitely include this. Some people claim that it is redundant (in that schools can see you had a high enough GPA to receive the award), but if you don't have many things to populate the section with, use what you can!

Please keep in mind that this information was valid during the previous cycle, I am not sure if anything has changed.

I was given transcript request forms from AADSAS for every school that I listed. On that form were instructions for both you and the registrar. My name, university, AADSAS ID, DENTPIN ID, and date of birth were filled out automatically.

"To assure prompt handling, complete the ADEA AADSAS Transcript Request Form. Print the form and submit it to your school’s Registrar.

As stated by Alpha, I would include 4 letters to maximize the likelihood of meeting the schools requirement. Personally, I had 2 science professors, an orthodontist, and a general dentist.

Again, as Alpha said, you could definitely include this. Some people claim that it is redundant (in that schools can see you had a high enough GPA to receive the award), but if you don't have many things to populate the section with, use what you can!
Do you know which schools specifically require a LOR from a dentist. Many of the schools I have been looking at either want 2 science and 1 science or non-science.

Do you know which schools specifically require a LOR from a dentist. Many of the schools I have been looking at either want 2 science and 1 science or non-science.
No, I don't. I would suggest creating a list of schools you intend to apply to and meeting all of their letter requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)

Do you have to give the form in person or will I be able to submit this form online (maybe e-mail)?

It is probably up to your school's registrar, but I see nothing wrong with faxing or emailing it.

what if i don't have a dentpin ID? will this be an issue?

How would I send my DAT score report to different schools that I didn't check off when I took that DAT?

How would I send my DAT score report to different schools that I didn't check off when I took that DAT?
Not a situation I had encountered, but from a quick search it seems this is what you can do:
  1. When registering for the DAT, did you select at least one ADEA AADSAS participating dental school? If, when you registered for the DAT, you did not indicate an ADEA AADSAS-participating dental school to receive your official DAT scores, you must go to the DAT website and request a score report to an ADEA AADSAS-participating dental school. Your scores will then be sent to ADEA AADSAS and imported into your application.
After that, it seems you can have it sent to any/all of the schools you are applying to.

Not a situation I had encountered, but from a quick search it seems this is what you can do:
  1. When registering for the DAT, did you select at least one ADEA AADSAS participating dental school? If, when you registered for the DAT, you did not indicate an ADEA AADSAS-participating dental school to receive your official DAT scores, you must go to the DAT website and request a score report to an ADEA AADSAS-participating dental school. Your scores will then be sent to ADEA AADSAS and imported into your application.
After that, it seems you can have it sent to any/all of the schools you are applying to.
Thanks!

On the 2018 AADSAS instructions guide, it states that research can NOT be taken for credit. Does this mean that research that has been taken for credit can't be listed on the application?

Thank you!!

On the 2018 AADSAS instructions guide, it states that research can NOT be taken for credit. Does this mean that research that has been taken for credit can't be listed on the application?

Thank you!!
Not entirely sure on this, maybe someone else can chime in. I did research outside of class time, so I listed it as such. I do not see how research done for credit is any less valuable or enriching than doing it without. I do interpret the instructions that way though. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, maybe you could get in touch with an AADSAS representative.

I have a similar question regarding the research/credit dilemma.

I took an introductory english composition class. Our final project was to research a specific topic and write a 10-15 page research paper on it (introduction, methods, sources, etc.). Afterwards, my professor suggested that I submit my research paper to the college's magazine. I was selected for publication. So technically speaking, I do have research published (primary author) but the overall research and the paper occurred during a class in which I received credit for.

I have a similar question regarding the research/credit dilemma.

I took an introductory english composition class. Our final project was to research a specific topic and write a 10-15 page research paper on it (introduction, methods, sources, etc.). Afterwards, my professor suggested that I submit my research paper to the college's magazine. I was selected for publication. So technically speaking, I do have research published (primary author) but the overall research and the paper occurred during a class in which I received credit for.

If its published you can add it as a publication for research.

ON the "Creating evaluation request form" are you supposed to write something in the "personal message/motes? section below? If so, what do you say? Thanks!

ON the "Creating evaluation request form" are you supposed to write something in the "personal message/motes? section below? If so, what do you say? Thanks!

This is where you give your evaluators any instructions, for instance, telling them that an original signature and letterhead are required. If none of your dental schools have LOE requirements, just tell them "thank you"!

I am adding my coursework and my Freshman year I took a Career Explorations course. I can't seem to find a "subject" on the AADSAS dropdown that fits that course. Any suggestions?

The application is open now :eek::eek:

Thank you!!

This means that research taken for academic credit will be listed in your Transcript Entry section. Since your information shouldn't be duplicated in your application, it is entered only once as coursework and isn't entered again under Experiences.

This means that research taken for academic credit will be listed in your Transcript Entry section. Since your information shouldn't be duplicated in your application, it is entered only once as coursework and isn't entered again under Experiences.

Thank you so much!

I took an online class at one of the branch campuses to the state school I go to... I don't think it shows up on my transcript that it was actually through the branch campus, I think it shows up as me taking it at the state school... do I need a matching form and submission of another transcript from this branch campus? It is the only thing that is not from my main campus

This is where you give your evaluators any instructions, for instance, telling them that an original signature and letterhead are required. If none of your dental schools have LOE requirements, just tell them "thank you"!

Thank you!

what if one semester i did research for credit and in other semesters I did research on a volunteer or hourly wage basis? can i list the second two in my experiences section?

If I repeated a class, what should I input for the number of credits for the first attempt? Should I input "0.0 credits" or the number of credits of the course?
How about for a class that I withdrew from?

Do you have to wait till your college sends in your transcripts or do you submit the your application while the college is preparing to send your transcripts?

I made my own post about this but this is probably a better place to ask it:

My transcripts lists a course as "Interpersonal Comun I" should I list it in the Course Title as "Interpersonal Comun I" or do I list it as "Interpersonal Communication I"?

For Course Subject: There's a bunch of choices now, it's not listed just as Biology, Chemistry, Non-science anymore. Just use my best judgment?

I know I'm kind of beating a dead horse with the research thing, but at my school, you basically can't do research without having this singular class credit, pass-fail nonsense, unless you count cleaning tubes and fetching ice as research.
I have over 200 hours from this research, it was a major part of my college career, and I spent dozens of hours outside of the obligatory BS singular credit hour... I really can't talk about it in the experiences section? It was a whole lot more to me than just credit for credit's sake

Reactions: 2 users
Do you have to wait till your college sends in your transcripts or do you submit the your application while the college is preparing to send your transcripts?

Submit the application, the transcripts will take a couple weeks to get approved

When entering transcript grades and the course is basically one of those student taught courses you take for fun that dont count for your grade, do we just select test credit - no subject?

I made my own post about this but this is probably a better place to ask it:

My transcripts lists a course as "Interpersonal Comun I" should I list it in the Course Title as "Interpersonal Comun I" or do I list it as "Interpersonal Communication I"?

For Course Subject: There's a bunch of choices now, it's not listed just as Biology, Chemistry, Non-science anymore. Just use my best judgment?

List exactly as it shows on your transcript.

As for course subject, does AADSAS have a PDF document somewhere in the app to offer some guidance?

Does it matter if we use personal but non-childish or school email to create an account?

I know I'm kind of beating a dead horse with the research thing, but at my school, you basically can't do research without having this singular class credit, pass-fail nonsense, unless you count cleaning tubes and fetching ice as research.
I have over 200 hours from this research, it was a major part of my college career, and I spent dozens of hours outside of the obligatory BS singular credit hour... I really can't talk about it in the experiences section? It was a whole lot more to me than just credit for credit's sake

Have they explicitly said you can't do that? I took research for credit one semester and still listed it under my extracurricular experience

Have they explicitly said you can't do that? I took research for credit one semester and still listed it under my extracurricular experience
In the 2018 AADSAS Instructions (http://www.adea.org/uploadedFiles/G..._AADSAS/2018ADEAAADSASInstructions_4.2017.pdf): "Research: Research projects done in addition to classroom work; research should NOT appear as credit on a school transcript."

Like I did research projects that were basically the entirety of specific classes, which I wasn't going to list, because that's for a class. But my main research was more of an independent thing and simply had to have a credit attached to it...

Does it matter if we use personal but non-childish or school email to create an account?

No it doesnt, you can use whatever email you want. But you have to make sure your school email has no expiration date after you graduate if you are applying during your fourth year. Otherwise any is fine.

I created a gmail account for all things dentistry to keep it one place. I recommend an email account with some derivative of your name.

In the 2018 AADSAS Instructions (http://www.adea.org/uploadedFiles/G..._AADSAS/2018ADEAAADSASInstructions_4.2017.pdf): "Research: Research projects done in addition to classroom work; research should NOT appear as credit on a school transcript."

Like I did research projects that were basically the entirety of specific classes, which I wasn't going to list, because that's for a class. But my main research was more of an independent thing and simply had to have a credit attached to it...
I think that in this case, you could list both separately. You know your research better than anyone, and if you feel they were different enough, then I doubt any schools will second guess that.

I think that in this case, you could list both separately. You know your research better than anyone, and if you feel they were different enough, then I doubt any schools will second guess that.
True true true, I'll think about it.... thanks for your help!
Never understood people on here asking questions that seem to have obvious answers. Now my cycle rolls around and I am that person :laugh: