Pikeville Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just receceived a secondary email invite from KYCOM. Is it strange that on AACOMAS it doesnt show my primary as released to them?

Members don't see this ad.

same here. it also appears the website is down.

Ya I notice KYCOMs website wasnt working this afternoon.

So you also submitted a primary for KYCOM on AACOMAS but it only shows as being submitted, not released yet... but you still received a secondary anyhow? I wonder if the primary did get released from AACOMAS but they just havent updated the status of it...I mean it only makes sense if I got an acknowledgement from KYCOM that they received my primary and to submit a secondary...right?

Edit: Well I am getting other secondaries as well now, so apparently it is just AACOMAS that hasn't updated the status of my primary on their website.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Website is still down. Which sucks bc I need to get notes off there for class tomorrow

Also got secondary today...and aacomas does not list it as released.

Got a complete email status today. Come on interview!

Working through the secondary and I only have a DO letter and a committee letter. I can not continue without putting in a science faculty member. What should I do?

My application shows released through AACOMAS 7/19, but I never received any confirmation of receipt or secondary invite from Pikeville. I have a competitive application, but it's been 3 weeks now. I've heard back from every other school I applied to, so I'm getting concerned gmail may have spammed it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Edit: Found the invite buried in my spam box from TWO WEEKS ago. Thanks Gmail :(.

Last edited:
My application shows released through AACOMAS 7/19, but I never received any confirmation of receipt or secondary invite from Pikeville. I have a competitive application, but it's been 3 weeks now. I've heard back from every other school I applied to, so I'm getting concerned gmail may have spammed it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Edit: Found the invite buried in my spam box from TWO WEEKS ago. Thanks Gmail :(.

Yea, apparently Gmail thinks all med school stuff goes in the spam folder. Confirmation email doesn't come for a while after you submit the secondary.

According to the forms, the invites start on 9/1

Working through the secondary and I only have a DO letter and a committee letter. I can not continue without putting in a science faculty member. What should I do?

I called them today and they told me to just list one of the science faculty from my committee letter.

I called them today and they told me to just list one of the science faculty from my committee letter.

Thanks for the info! I was wondering about that myself. Almost all of my science professors sat in for my committee letter interview.

Has anyone else heard from admissions that all of your pre-reqs must be completed before your application will even be reviewed? I've researched almost all of the DO schools and have never seen this strict of a timeline for pre-reqs. Most say by matriculation and some say they prefer completion by Jan before matriculation. If you list your classes on the primary as scheduled for the upcoming year, that seems to be sufficient for other schools. I'll email them myself but wanted to see what others have heard from KY. Thanks.

Confirmed. Just got an email stating all classes must be completed before a secondary will be offered. Since I still have a class to take this Fall and won't be finished until December, I guess this school is out for me. Stinks.:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, any idea when II's are expected to go out? Hopefully soon

i spoke with ronnie collins today he said that they're meeting monday to review first batch of files and first interview date is 9/21...

hope this helps:thumbup:

Confirmed. Just got an email stating all classes must be completed before a secondary will be offered. Since I still have a class to take this Fall and won't be finished until December, I guess this school is out for me. Stinks.:thumbdown:

They are the only school I've ever seen do this. Why do they want to wait for a grade from one class if I've aced all of my other pre-reqs? I want my $32 back.

Absolutely. While there is a regional bias, it by no means disqualifies an applicant from acceptance just because he/she isn't from the Appalachian region. I mentioned it in an earlier post, but I think barely 50% of my class is actually from Kentucky. The rest are scattered all over the place.
If it is 50/50...It is for sure a regional bias but not as much as people represent it on SDN...I think NSU is more like 60/40 and people on SDN dont ascribe that to them. I will definitely apply to Pikeville then.

i spoke with ronnie collins today he said that they're meeting monday to review first batch of files and first interview date is 9/21...

Sweet! I really hope I'm in this first batch!

I submitted my primary that was already verified to kycom on 8/8/12 and still no secondary. Is there a particular day/time that this school sends them out?

I submitted my primary that was already verified to kycom on 8/8/12 and still no secondary. Is there a particular day/time that this school sends them out?

My primary was verified by KYCOM on 7/19 and I received my secondary on 7/24, but Gmail spammed the invite so I didn't see it for another two weeks...

I submitted my secondary on 8/14 and just got an email saying they have downloaded it for review. I hope I'm in the first batch they're reviewing Monday!

AACOMAS verified 7/13
Secondary from KYCOM 7/24
Secondary completed/submitted 8/16
LOR from Interfolio 8/16
Secondary acknowledged 8/17
file complete 8/17

Waiting for II.

Oregon resident 3.6/31R

dsoz

AACOMAS verified 7/13
Secondary from KYCOM 7/24
Secondary completed/submitted 8/16
LOR from Interfolio 8/16
Secondary acknowledged 8/17
file complete 8/17

Waiting for II.

Oregon resident 3.6/31R

dsoz
I got the complete email today as well. I know they have a regional bias but I hate that they remind you of it in the completed file email :laugh:

We have a couple of people from Washington state and Cali in my class this year so don't worry about the regional bias thing.

I'm a first year now, so I can try to answer any questions that you guys have. I was in you're exact same position this time last year.

They are the only school I've ever seen do this. Why do they want to wait for a grade from one class if I've aced all of my other pre-reqs? I want my $32 back.

I don't know where you guys are getting this, but that's wrong. I had to send a final transcript once I had been accepted showing all of my grades, but that wasnt due until a few weeks before classes started.

We have a couple of people from Washington state and Cali in my class this year so don't worry about the regional bias thing.

I'm a first year now, so I can try to answer any questions that you guys have. I was in you're exact same position this time last year.

I don't know where you guys are getting this, but that's wrong. I had to send a final transcript once I had been accepted showing all of my grades, but that wasnt due until a few weeks before classes started.

From KYCOM:
xxxxxxx,
We require grades before file is reviewed by admissions committee as these grades are important in admissions process. We could send the secondary application but your file would not be reviewed until completion of required courses with appropriate grades. Thanks!

Secondary complete. This school is my top choice....

Maybe they changed the policy this cycle, but I got a personal email stating no secondaries are sent until all pre-reqs are completed.

Just curious, what pre-reqs are you guys waiting to complete?
I just have Organic Chem left to complete. I know that's an important class in the eyes of adcoms, but they can see in my transcripts that for the last year I've taken Physics/Bio/Gen Chem all in the same semester with all A's. That should say something...

Hoping today's the day! Where's my II?!? ;)

Well that really makes sense. You need to have the prereqs done before you apply. What if you end up tanking the last prereq you need?

But they go by your aacomas grades. You'll send in a final transcript before you matriculate

I got the complete email today as well. I know they have a regional bias but I hate that they remind you of it in the completed file email :laugh:

Majority of our class is from the upper Appalachian states and Kentucky but we have a few from other places like washington and Arizona

Well that really makes sense. You need to have the prereqs done before you apply. What if you end up tanking the last prereq you need?

Every other school will offer secondaries & interviews even if u still have classes to finish. Cuz if u don't finish or pass with a C before matriculation they will take away ur acceptance.

Every other school will offer secondaries & interviews even if u still have classes to finish. Cuz if u don't finish or pass with a C before matriculation they will take away ur acceptance.

This is pikeville. Not every other school. If you don't like the way it's done here, then apply elsewhere. There are plenty of others who would be happy with one less competitor for a seat. you are playing a game right now. If you want to win (get a seat), you have to play by the rules

This is pikeville. Not every other school. If you don't like the way it's done here, then apply elsewhere. There are plenty of others who would be happy with one less competitor for a seat. you are playing a game right now. If you want to win (get a seat), you have to play by the rules

Their website says satisfactory completion of prereqs before admission, not application. Thats the problem. I wouldn't have submitted a primary to them in the first place if the website was clear.
This is Pikeville.

From KYCOM:
xxxxxxx,
We require grades before file is reviewed by admissions committee as these grades are important in admissions process. We could send the secondary application but your file would not be reviewed until completion of required courses with appropriate grades. Thanks!

What about retake grades? I have all the prereqs done but I'm technically retaking two of them (orgo and biochem) and I don't want to wait until December to get a secondary. Any ideas about this? I'll email them too. Thanks!