Pikeville Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary in process. Blahhh so many different essays!

Members don't see this ad.

Still havent gotten a secondary :(

.. maybe it's because I don't have MCAT scores yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry too much, I think they are just now finally to go over what applications they've received.

You all seriously need to chill. They are still getting things set up in the new building and the first years start in a week. I can promise you that they are more focused on that than getting secondaries out esp when it's so early in the season

You all seriously need to chill. They are still getting things set up in the new building and the first years start in a week. I can promise you that they are more focused on that than getting secondaries out esp when it's so early in the season

Ditto. From what it sounds like, you guys are getting your secondary apps WAY earlier than my class did. My primary was submitted very early in the game, and I didn't receive my secondary until October-ish. Relax.

Ditto. From what it sounds like, you guys are getting your secondary apps WAY earlier than my class did. My primary was submitted very early in the game, and I didn't receive my secondary until October-ish. Relax.

You're a second yr right?

Will do.

=]

Btw, my MCAT results will come Aug 7th, I'll send you a PM.

So I got a secondary offer. Email was kind of weird it said application received and please create an account and fill out the secondary. I assume there was a selection process and not everyone was offered one? Also, anyone know the chances of getting an interview after you get the secondary offer?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got a secondary offer. Email was kind of weird it said application received and please create an account and fill out the secondary. I assume there was a selection process and not everyone was offered one? Also, anyone know the chances of getting an interview after you get the secondary offer?

Hate to break it to you but I think everyone gets one. So chances of you getting an interview after the secondary is not higher. They don't only send out secondaries to candidates they want to interview like WVSOM.

So I was going through my gmail today and noticed that my spam mailbox was full. I opened it up and saw an invite for secondary from pikesville on july 18.Lesson: check ur spam mail b4 deleting.
Now it makes me wonder about my paste deletions.:(

So I was going through my gmail today and noticed that my spam mailbox was full. I opened it up and saw an invite for secondary from pikesville on july 18.Lesson: check ur spam mail b4 deleting.
Now it makes me wonder about my paste deletions.:(

Mine has been in my SPAM folder for almost a week! :scared:

Everything done except the essay.

dsoz

Apparently applications are up 22% this year

Apparently applications are up 22% this year

This is great to hear, and it really isn't that surprising. The Commonwealth of Kentucky has invested a lot into KYCOM, and I think the results speak for themselves. The school is annually ranked by US News & World Report as a leader in rural medicine, percentage of graduates entering primary care specialties, and affordability among private medical schools (allopathic and osteopathic). In the past 4 matches, KYCOM students have filled spots in anesthesiology, radiology, emergency medicine, neurology, orthopedic surgery, radiation oncology, and urology programs (in addition to the traditional primary care specialties). We are now home to a state-of-the-art medical training facility comparable to those at our state universities, and our students are able to train at Pikeville Medical Center, a Level II Trauma Center with in-house physicians of all medical specialties. I think the school has a long way to go before reaching its full potential, but it seems as if KYCOM is on the right track.

Any of you kycom current students care to post some pictures of the new building? I know a few were posted earlier. The next time I go home (just outside of Pikeville) I may make a trip to see it in person.

I wish my mcat scores would hurry up so I can add the rest of my schools to AACOMAS.

Here is the e-mail I received:

KYCOM said:
Dear Andrew,

Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine (KYCOM) wishes to inform you that we have received your initial application from AACOMAS. First, let me say we are pleased you have selected KYCOM as one of your choices for pursuing your medical training.
Your application is verified through AACOMAS. Please confirm that you meet the academic requirements for admission to KYCOM. (If you are missing credit for courses you have taken, please contact AACOMAS).
The following are the minimum academic requirements for KYCOM:
1. A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
2. The Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT). Students must take the exam and have the official scores sent to KYCOM. MCAT test scores are valid for three years from the original test date.
3. Satisfactory completion of the following college courses, including laboratory work:
· English Composition and Literature 6 Semester Hours
· General Chemistry 8 Semester Hours
· Organic Chemistry 8 Semester Hours (4 hours of which can be Biochemistry)
· Physics 8 Semester Hours
· Biological Sciences 12 Semester Hours
These basic requirements must be passed and taken for credit at an accredited college or university.
Please feel free to contact me at [email protected] if I may be of additional assistance.

Anyone know what this means?

.. doesn't even say anything about a secondary .. maybe they won't offer me one until they receive MCAT scores?

Hi everyone,

For the letters, can I submit a letter from a PI to meet the "Pre-Med Advisor" letter? My school did not have a premed advisor. Also, for the physician letter, I have one from a MD/PhD so should I use that or wait till I get one from a DO (will be starting Shadowing soon-the do knows that I want a letter from her) but I think by the time I get one from her, it might be too late and so I am thinking to just use the MD/PhD letter. Thanks for the help

.. doesn't even say anything about a secondary .. maybe they won't offer me one until they receive MCAT scores?

I received a secondary from Pikeville. There is one essay.

Please explain why you should be selected for training as a primary care, rural osteopathic physician. Please also explain why you are applying to KYCOM for osteopathic medical education and why you believe you will be a successful KYCOM medical student. (1-2 pages maximum)

But my MCAT score is in.

dsoz

I received a secondary from Pikeville. There is one essay.

But my MCAT score is in.

dsoz

I received the same message today and my MCAT score is in. does it mean that we are being screened?

this is the entire email that I received from KYCOM
Dear dsoz:

Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine (KYCOM) wishes to inform you that we have received your initial application from AACOMAS. First, let me say we are pleased you have selected KYCOM as one of your choices for pursuing your medical training.

Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine requires that applicants complete a KYCOM supplementary or secondary application, which is available online and also three letters of recommendation, one written by a senior science faculty member, a Pre-med Committee or Advisor, and a Physician, a D.O. is preferred. Letters of recommendation are acceptable in either written form, (a formal letter of recommendation on official letterhead with an original signature), pre-assembled "packets" through a pre-med or pre-professional committee, VirtualEvals and/or Interfolio. Instructions on how to access the online KYCOM application follow:

1. Go to https://www.applyweb.com/apply/pikemed/
2. Create your user name and password
3. Then complete the application and submit

*Please note: If you have any questions concerning our online application, please contact Corrine Bolt at 606-218-5300.

Early completion of the application is advised. Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine reviews files only after all materials have been received and the applicant file is completed.

PLEASE ALLOW A MINIMUM OF 2-3 WEEKS FOR THE PROCESSING OF APPLICATIONS. Applicants will be notified by email when the file is complete. It is the responsibility of the applicant to contact the people whom you have chosen to write your recommendation letters to ensure that we receive them in a timely manner in order to complete his/her applicant file.

Please feel free to contact me at [email protected] if I may be of additional help. I look forward to working with you in the future.

It does not say anything about being screened...

dsoz

That is so weird, why would they send me an e-mail but not offer a secondary?

Strange..

That is so weird, why would they send me an e-mail but not offer a secondary?

Strange..

Because they are missing your MCAT scores or you haven't finished your Bachelor's degree or you need to take a pre-req. Until they receive all those items, they prob won't give you a secondary yet.

Might want to check AACOMAS to make sure they have all your things.

I am pretty sure Pikeville doesn't screen during secondaries.

People from California get into this school?

People from California get into this school?

Absolutely. While there is a regional bias, it by no means disqualifies an applicant from acceptance just because he/she isn't from the Appalachian region. I mentioned it in an earlier post, but I think barely 50% of my class is actually from Kentucky. The rest are scattered all over the place.

complete email yesterday

Absolutely. While there is a regional bias, it by no means disqualifies an applicant from acceptance just because he/she isn't from the Appalachian region. I mentioned it in an earlier post, but I think barely 50% of my class is actually from Kentucky. The rest are scattered all over the place.

Thanks Charlie. You know the ballpark recent stat averages for matriculants off the top of your head?

Also applying here.

IN resident
3.94 Undergrad cGPA
4.00 Undergrad sGPA
3.90 Graduate GPA (MA Bioethics and Medical Humanities)
MCAT on 7/14
Published research, years of volunteering and shadowing, current oncology researcher.

Not sure where Pikeville sits on my list yet; hoping for a few interviews and then compiling a rank list.

BabyDoc you make me want to post in the "discouraged" thread. :laugh:

Because they are missing your MCAT scores or you haven't finished your Bachelor's degree or you need to take a pre-req. Until they receive all those items, they prob won't give you a secondary yet.

Might want to check AACOMAS to make sure they have all your things.

I am pretty sure Pikeville doesn't screen during secondaries.

I'm enrolled in organic 2 for the fall semester. I thought you just have to finish pre reqs by matriculation. Looks like I'll stop worrying about this secondary.

I'm enrolled in organic 2 for the fall semester. I thought you just have to finish pre reqs by matriculation. Looks like I'll stop worrying about this secondary.

.. yeah I don't understand either. Most people don't have a bachelor's degree when they apply.

Thanks Charlie. You know the ballpark recent stat averages for matriculants off the top of your head?

Don't quote me on this, but I think my class' stats were a 3.6 something cGPA and a 25 MCAT, so I'm sure the class of 2016 slightly outperformed my class. There's been a slight increase in average matriculant GPA and MCAT scores every year for the past few years.

I'm not sure if I totally agree with this. I'm pretty sure I had completed all of my prerequisite work and submitted my MCAT score prior to applying, but I definitely did not have a bachelor's degree. Try calling Angel Hamilton at (606) 218-5406 and see what she tells you.

Don't quote me on this, but I think my class' stats were a 3.6 something cGPA and a 25 MCAT, so I'm sure the class of 2016 slightly outperformed my class. There's been a slight increase in average matriculant GPA and MCAT scores every year for the past few years.
Thanks again. What is the consensus on applicant review. Are they overly focused on stats or do they do a prety comprehensive review of the entire applicant?

Thanks again. What is the consensus on applicant review. Are they overly focused on stats or do they do a prety comprehensive review of the entire applicant?

I talked about this in an earlier post on this thread, but I'll put my two cents in again. My GPA and MCAT score were both above the KYCOM average, but neither was even mentioned during my interview. I was asked to discuss my reasons for applying to KYCOM, my prior work experience, my career interests, and my goals for the future. Out of all the interviews I experienced, the KYCOM interview was far and away the most "comprehensive" (that is, not solely focused on my numbers). Don't get me wrong, the admissions committee is looking for students with great grades and high MCAT scores, but their selection process seriously evaluates all aspects of the application.

Has anyone got this email yet?

Dear Me,

Thank you for your interest in KYCOM! Your online application has been downloaded by Admissions Staff. Please contact AXXXXX at 6XXXXXx if you have any questions.

Im concerned this is just a bulk email, thanks sdn

z

I talked about this in an earlier post on this thread, but I'll put my two cents in again. My GPA and MCAT score were both above the KYCOM average, but neither was even mentioned during my interview. I was asked to discuss my reasons for applying to KYCOM, my prior work experience, my career interests, and my goals for the future. Out of all the interviews I experienced, the KYCOM interview was far and away the most "comprehensive" (that is, not solely focused on my numbers). Don't get me wrong, the admissions committee is looking for students with great grades and high MCAT scores, but their selection process seriously evaluates all aspects of the application.

Really appreciate your responses. People like you are what make SDN a great resource. Thanks again!

I read on the forum last year that the cutoff GPA was a 3.0 and if you got that, they would question you on your GPA at the interview.

.. yeah I don't understand either. Most people don't have a bachelor's degree when they apply.

Completing pre-reqs and not having a bachelors degree are two different things. Schools don't expect you to have a bachelor's degree but I guess they expect you to have your pre-reqs done. I am from Rutgers so it was normal to have all your pre-reqs done by the end of sophmore year. Pre reqs being the norm biology, chemistry, O chem and English. So having your pre-reqs done doesn't mean you have a bachelor's degree.

Completing pre-reqs and not having a bachelors degree are two different things. Schools don't expect you to have a bachelor's degree but I guess they expect you to have your pre-reqs done. I am from Rutgers so it was normal to have all your pre-reqs done by the end of sophmore year. Pre reqs being the norm biology, chemistry, O chem and English. So having your pre-reqs done doesn't mean you have a bachelor's degree.

I received an email from them and was told that I have to finish my prereqs before they review my file. This means I'll probably not bother pursuing kycom because I won't finish my classes until spring.

I received an email from them and was told that I have to finish my prereqs before they review my file. This means I'll probably not bother pursuing kycom because I won't finish my classes until spring.

That sucks. Sorry. Good luck on all your other applications

just got an email today at 830 AM saying saying some scary stuff. Its complete and the next step is an interview or no interview. scary stuff,

z

just got an email today at 830 AM saying saying some scary stuff. Its complete and the next step is an interview or no interview. scary stuff,

z

Same except mine was at 1:51pm.