2020-2021 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone who had Ethan Fulwood and Joe Kingery as their interviewers, could you tell me how their interview went? Mine is scheduled for Feb 12 and I wanted to start preparing.
Just google their names. There are websites other than U Pike with their academic history and the focus of their PhD.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone who had Ethan Fulwood and Joe Kingery as their interviewers, could you tell me how their interview went? Mine is scheduled for Feb 12 and I wanted to start preparing.
You get a sheet that gives all their credentials prior to the interview. Best thing you can do to prepare is know your primary application answers, have a good answer for "Why DO?" and any red flags in your application. It was my least stressful interview by far. They aren't going to ask you questions to trip you up - they are genuinely interested in getting to know you. Also, Dr. Kingery is awesome - one of the kindest souls here.

Reactions: 3 users
I have sent two update letters here. Still in review after my secondary. UG GPA is incredibly low (2.5ish) but strong upward trend and high SMP GPA. Okay MCAT at 501. Non-trad w/ 40k hours of direct, hands-on, autonomous HCE. I even wrote them and said "I have taken too many credits to put a dent in my UG GPA and that GPA will be the same as it is now in any future cycles". Pretty much laid it out that if they want a higher UG GPA from me, they cannot have it. Nothing I can do now. See what happens.

I mention this because they are known to be pretty lenient or "holistic" (god, I hate that word) in their evaluations. But will it matter? I am somewhat interested to see where this goes with KYCOM.
502 mcat and 3.3 gpa 3.1 sGPA but 4.00 with 30 credits DIY post bac credits here. They told me that I needed a 3.2 for an interview. My friends with 498s and 3.5s got accepted but me not even an interview. And they said the only problem with my app was my gpa :/. They did say that students with sGPA <3.2 may be considered later down the cycle. I think with your stats, you will def at least be considered later in the cycle. Especially with a high SMP.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard back yet ): super nervous and anxious about the results. Has anyone who interviewed in the past 2 weeks heard back yet?

I just got the invite for a secondary and I was aacomas complete at the beginning of September.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone who goes to KYCOM talk about what internet services are like? My boyfriend streams video games and likes/needs fast, reliable internet. He may be moving with me and he's curious as to what internet is available in Pikeville

Can anyone who goes to KYCOM talk about what internet services are like? My boyfriend streams video games and likes/needs fast, reliable internet. He may be moving with me and he's curious as to what internet is available in Pikeville
Very location dependent. If you live in the pikeville commons it’s awful. I think if you live in the downtown area, you will have better options for providers.

Such as branch apartments?
I don't know anyone who lives there personally but I would assume so based on where it is located. I would definitely ask your apartment manager what internet options are available, and if possible talk to students that live there to see how they feel about the internet. I think that at&t and xfinity are solid options if you can get them, while some of the local internet providers are bad.

502 mcat and 3.3 gpa 3.1 sGPA but 4.00 with 30 credits DIY post bac credits here. They told me that I needed a 3.2 for an interview. My friends with 498s and 3.5s got accepted but me not even an interview. And they said the only problem with my app was my gpa :/. They did say that students with sGPA <3.2 may be considered later down the cycle. I think with your stats, you will def at least be considered later in the cycle. Especially with a high SMP.

+1

I’m just a smidge under the 3.2 for sGPA and a smidge over on the cGPA. MCAT 504. No interview yet although they told me the same - that later in the cycle I could still be considered. Just keeping my fingers crossed.
Don’t give up hope!

• Love
  • Care
Today marks the 3rd week since my interview and haven't heard anything. Not sure if I should reach out or just wait another week. I was told I would hear back in 3 weeks.

Hey I was wondering about the dress code for classes, can anyone elaborate on that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I was wondering about the dress code for classes, can anyone elaborate on that?

Business professional on days where you have only lectures and scrubs for days where you have either OMM lab or anatomy lab.

Business professional on days where you have only lectures and scrubs for days where you have either OMM lab or anatomy lab.
I am not so sure about the definition for certain things. Is business professional jacket and tie or is it like Business casual?

I am not so sure about the definition for certain things. Is business professional jacket and tie or is it like Business casual?

I would say a good place for inspiration would be Pinterest! Always go more formal if you aren’t sure.

Hey guys, I got the acceptance call today! I interviewed 1/27. Just wondering if there's a fb group for accepted students. Thanks!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted earlier this afternoon! Applied later than others:

- aacomas application submitted 1/16
- aacomas application verified 1/23
- secondary invitation 1/25
- secondary submitted 1/31 (received two emails immediately after saying my secondary was submitted and my application was complete on 1/31)
- interview invitation 2/3
- interviewed 2/8
- acceptance call today 2/23

Now awaiting the official email, but excited! Happy cried today and can’t wait to tell my family tonight :)

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone get into KYCOM with a sub 500? jw lol what the chances are

Anyone get into KYCOM with a sub 500? jw lol what the chances are
I know a fair amount of my classmates got in with sub-500 MCATs, including myself. Chances aren't amazing but the students that didn't have great MCATs usually had a solid app otherwise in terms of GPA, volunteering, leadership, personal statement, etc.

I know a fair amount of my classmates got in with sub-500 MCATs, including myself. Chances aren't amazing but the students that didn't have great MCATs usually had a solid app otherwise in terms of GPA, volunteering, leadership, personal statement, etc.
Really? They rejected me because of my sub 500 MCAT. At least that is what it said in the email. My app besides that was fairly solid

Apparently there’s a chance to be offered an interview later in the cycle. It wasn’t a R... but still a bummer
Well I reached out after not hearing and they said the only chance I would have was to retake the MCAT and get a 500 so maybe if you take a class you will get there

• Care
+1

I’m just a smidge under the 3.2 for sGPA and a smidge over on the cGPA. MCAT 504. No interview yet although they told me the same - that later in the cycle I could still be considered. Just keeping my fingers crossed.
Don’t give up hope!
They told me the same thing, but are they really gonna look at our apps later on? I feel like its a soft R but they just wanna wait until the absolute end of the cycle to send an R. Any current students that have been selected later on due to a lower GPA?

Really? They rejected me because of my sub 500 MCAT. At least that is what it said in the email. My app besides that was fairly solid

I also applied a couple app cycles ago, so maybe they have changed their cutoff. I do know their initial screen was at 3.2 sGPA when I applied. They definitely look at apps later on, we had students in our class being pulled off the waitlist ~2 months before classes started. A waitlist is not a silent rejection but the rule of thumb is to keep preparing for a gap year until you receive that acceptance email/phone call.

I think it depends on how low that MCAT is. They might accept students with like 498s but anything lower might be a big red flag that they can't overlook. I had multiple mcat attempts and most of them were sub 500 and I finally reached just above 500 on my final attempt and I was accepted.

In the most recent update from the admissions director, there are over 100 people on the waitlist:

"Finally, I know some of you are still debating where you will attend medical school. I know that this is a life altering decision, not to be made lightly. If you are considering attending a different school or have decided to attend elsewhere please let me know ASAP. This will not threaten your acceptance to KYCOM in any way. We have a waitlist of over 100 deserving applicants and your honest communication will help me to best communicate to the students on this wait list."

I am one of those applicants who will (very likely) be attending in my home state and I'm withdrawing my acceptance here. It's been an extremely difficult decision but I have opted for an easier route for myself and my family. I wish each and every one of you the very best in your adventures. ❤️

Don't lose hope. There is still SO MUCH time!!

In the most recent update from the admissions director, there are over 100 people on the waitlist:

"Finally, I know some of you are still debating where you will attend medical school. I know that this is a life altering decision, not to be made lightly. If you are considering attending a different school or have decided to attend elsewhere please let me know ASAP. This will not threaten your acceptance to KYCOM in any way. We have a waitlist of over 100 deserving applicants and your honest communication will help me to best communicate to the students on this wait list."

I am one of those applicants who will (very likely) be attending in my home state and I'm withdrawing my acceptance here. It's been an extremely difficult decision but I have opted for an easier route for myself and my family. I wish each and every one of you the very best in your adventures. ❤️

Don't lose hope. There is still SO MUCH time!!
Yay!! So happy for you. Thanks for being here!

• Care
I think it depends on how low that MCAT is. They might accept students with like 498s but anything lower might be a big red flag that they can't overlook. I had multiple mcat attempts and most of them were sub 500 and I finally reached just above 500 on my final attempt and I was accepted.
I had a 498

Hey guys! New to this thread so sorry if this has already been discussed, but has anyone who received the "your GPA is too low" soft denial email been re-contacted and offered an interview? I have spoken with Mr. Kennedy in the past and he mentioned that they occasionally lower the GPA requirement later in the application cycle(around Jan/Feb) but I have never seen any evidence of that actually happening.
Soooo my total end of the day GPA with undergrad and continuing courses was a 3.3 and I was accepted in December. If you’re feeling anxious now, just start prepping for next cycle to be safe.

Hey guys! New to this thread so sorry if this has already been discussed, but has anyone who received the "your GPA is too low" soft denial email been re-contacted and offered an interview? I have spoken with Mr. Kennedy in the past and he mentioned that they occasionally lower the GPA requirement later in the application cycle(around Jan/Feb) but I have never seen any evidence of that actually happening.
I got an email about both my MCAT and GPA being too low. My sGPA was just below 3.2 and while my MCAT was fine, I had a very low score in one section. I still got accepted! I'd really take advantage of the Q&A's they host especially when you haven't been rejected yet. They're really helpful and shows that you have interest. I'd make sure that they know your name and send them a follow up email thanking them for their time and letting them know that you gained a lot out of the Q&A. I'm not 100% sure if this is right but I think Mr. Kennedy is really the one who decides who gets an interview so definitely try to ask him questions. He's a great guy and it matters to him that he sees growth in your application and your interest in what the school has to offer. After the Q&A's, it was a lot easier for me to make the argument "Why KYCOM?" Good luck!

I got an email about both my MCAT and GPA being too low. My sGPA was just below 3.2 and while my MCAT was fine, I had a very low score in one section. I still got accepted! I'd really take advantage of the Q&A's they host especially when you haven't been rejected yet. They're really helpful and shows that you have interest. I'd make sure that they know your name and send them a follow up email thanking them for their time and letting them know that you gained a lot out of the Q&A. I'm not 100% sure if this is right but I think Mr. Kennedy is really the one who decides who gets an interview so definitely try to ask him questions. He's a great guy and it matters to him that he sees growth in your application and your interest in what the school has to offer. After the Q&A's, it was a lot easier for me to make the argument "Why KYCOM?" Good luck!
Where do I find information on the Q and A sessions you mention? I don't see anything on their website and never got any emails about them....

Where do I find information on the Q and A sessions you mention? I don't see anything on their website and never got any emails about them....
In the beginning, I didn't get emails about them either and didn't know about them until I saw someone talking about it on this thread. I just emailed Mr. Kennedy and asked him when the next one is and for the zoom link.

Does anyone know if there is some sort of hard deadline for the immunizations, CastleBranch Drug Screening, & background check? I wasn't able to find the information for this. A link would be really helpful too (if there is one) 😃

Does anyone know if there is another deposit coming up to secure our seat? I already paid the first $1000 deposit but am wondering if there's a second one

Does anyone know if there is another deposit coming up to secure our seat? I already paid the first $1000 deposit but am wondering if there's a second one
I don't thin so until May? I believe that is the standard across schools but I could be wrong

As far as I know, there isn't another deposit, it's just a one time payment of $1000. They differ from other schools in that regard. Also, tuition is due on orientation day for the semester, however, they have a grace period because people have to wait for loans.

Where do most med students live? Meaning which apartments/housing communities?

I was in Pikeville today. For those who are planning to attend. The school is smack in the middle of town with the medical center almost right across the street. A few minutes walk and it’s a level 2 trauma center where you can do rotations. I think it’s a huge plus for students. Major shopping is about 5 to 10 minutes away. Not sure about apartments etc. There are a couple of big complexes next to the school but not sure whether it’s targeted at students. I don’t think it’s rural with all the shopping and facilities. But drive 20 minutes, it’s certainly rural. Lack of an airport nearby would be inconvenient for out of state students. Major airport is in Lexington, about 2.5 hours away. Traffic is light and parking is free and plenty. Several restaurants in the area, American, Chinese, Mexican, Japanese etc., and all the fast food within 10 minutes. Saw a couple of bars and clubs nearby. Being a Sunday, I wasn’t able to talk to anyone at the school. I may not have covered everything so please ask.
35501FC7-05CD-475A-A3DC-B126B24988A6.jpeg

Reactions: 8 users
Do they send rejections? My application has been complete since late August and I haven't heard anything.