Philadelphia COM - Georgia (GA-PCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The weather is great here, it gets hot and humid (but not as bad as Florida or my previous state of Louisiana) in the summer months and spring is great. The last "big" winter weather event was in 2011; there was snow and ice and the entire metro Atlanta area was closed because, at the time, there were only 2 snow plows in the metro Atlanta area.

I'm originally from Upstate NY...so I don't think the snow here is a big deal :) Mostly flurries and some mornings you'll wake up to ice on your car.

I can definitely vouch for that :thumbup:
Since 2011, winter has really been super mild and Atlanta overall is a very sunny place most of the year :love:
The people are great also! :)

Members don't see this ad.

How does anatomy testing go?

Extended matching? MC? Straight fill in the blank?

All written exams are multiple choice.

Anatomy practical exams are 70 questions that either require you to identify a structure pinned on a cadaver or some type of secondary question (ex. they pin a muscle, but ask you what the innervation is). Neuro practical exams were 40 2-part questions; 1st question was identifying the pinned structure and 2nd question was some type of secondary question. Of course, this may have changed since I took the course.

Members don't see this ad :)
if i wanted to be an expert on what we cover first day of class, what should i know?

To not study before classes start

Sent from my SPH-L710 using SDN Mobile

if i wanted to be an expert on what we cover first day of class, what should i know?

Don't be that guy :)

I had already taken medical school anatomy when I started at PCOM, but most of your classmates will be in the same boat as you. Enjoy your summer...once you start, the studying doesn't stop.

So is anatomy fill the blank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/grammar

Did everyone on the delayed decision list get an email from Trena this week?

Yup, still waiting to get a letter though =(

So is anatomy fill the blank?

Written anatomy exams are multiple choice; these exams are based on the classroom lectures. Lab practical is identification of a pinned structure on the cadaver or it could be a secondary short answer question; not really fill in the blank type questions.

Any movement on the waitlist yet? Does anyone have an idea on when most of the movement will start taking place? Starting to get pretty anxious.

Any movement on the waitlist yet? Does anyone have an idea on when most of the movement will start taking place? Starting to get pretty anxious.

Going by what my classmates have told me in the past, a lot of the waitlist movement occurs May-July. One of my friends was pulled off in mid-May and another was accepted a week before orientation.

Hang in there!

Does the school sell laptops that was setup with all the apps needed (with a discount rate)? If not, which model of laptop/PDAs do you mostly recommend?

Do the professors provide with printed lecture notes or PPT files?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the school sell laptops that was setup with all the apps needed (with a discount rate)? If not, which model of laptop/PDAs do you mostly recommend?

Do the professors provide with printed lecture notes or PPT files?

The school does not sell laptops. Buy whatever you're comfortable with. I have a MacBook Pro and I would say the class is split 50/50 as far as Macs/PCs.

Lectures are uploaded to Blackboard and also printed out for you to have in class if you prefer to take notes on paper.

Still no word. As far as I know, I still have a delayed decision status. Have they already started waitlisting? Should I have heard something by now? Don't want to be a bother by contacting the school.

For those of you who have been accepted, do you guys have a facebook group yet? I am an incoming second year and I am going to be renting out two rooms in my house to incoming students.

For those of you who have been accepted, do you guys have a facebook group yet? I am an incoming second year and I am going to be renting out two rooms in my house to incoming students.

Just the one made by the school nobody has made one yet

how much time is there between the end of 2nd year and the beginning of 3rd year rotations. Is there time to study for comlex/usmle? Is there time during the end of 2nd year that students generally prepare for comlex/usmle? Is there dedicated step 1 prep time?

Last edited:
Just the one made by the school nobody has made one yet

Oh, well that's no good. You guys will definitely need one to communicate housing needs/suggest places to get supplies/share notes throughout the year, etc.

I created one for you all. Due to privacy issues with the school, it will have to be a "closed/private" group. If you have been accepted and plan on attending, you should join so you can meet your fellow classmates. And also so I have a place to put up my housing ad so I can get some roommates :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/326187487507282/

Still no word. As far as I know, I still have a delayed decision status. Have they already started waitlisting? Should I have heard something by now? Don't want to be a bother by contacting the school.

I am wondering the same thing.

1) Does anyone know if they have filled all of the seats for the class? If not, how many seats are left?
2) Have already started a wait list? How many people do they usually put on the wait list?
3) When they finalize on the "delayed decision" list? Also, how many people do they usually have on their delayed decision list?

Does 2nd year end early (like in May) to allow more time for students to study for the board exams?

Have you been provided with any board prep course materials or question bank membership?

Does 2nd year end early (like in May) to allow more time for students to study for the board exams?

We took our last final exam on May 6th.

Have you been provided with any board prep course materials or question bank membership?

The school provided us with COMBANK

If you are in need of a real estate agent who is very knowledgeable about the area, PM me and I will put you in touch with my father-in-law, since it was requested earlier. Not an advertisement, just assistance for those who need some help from a reputable agent.

For those still waiting to hear, how often are you following up with Trena? I want to call every week, but I'm nervous since she sent that email telling people not to call and check in.

Also - anyone heard of movement off the list yet?

Nope... Just waiting it out because of that email. I feel ur pain however

+1 to the waitlist. Trying to keep hope alive.:confused:

Any people on the waitlist thought about the post bac program at GA-PCOM?

131415, 123456789098765, and sagbutt - were you all added to the official waitlist today? Or do you mean delayed decision? If waitlist, did you get a letter in the mail?

131415, 123456789098765, and sagbutt - were you all added to the official waitlist today? Or do you mean delayed decision? If waitlist, did you get a letter in the mail?

I was notified by mail today.

As was I. And we continue the waiting game

whats the difference between the delayed decision and the waiting list?

Delayed decision basically means that they haven't made a decision on you and need more time to evaluate. It represents neither a acceptance, rejection, or wait list.

Waitlist essentially means that when seats open up they will reevaluate all candidates to see who best can take the open spot. Hope that helps.

Did not everyone from the delayed decision get wait listed?

For the people that are getting delayed decisions or wait listed when did you all apply/become complete?

I'm from PA and I'd like to apply to both Philadelphia and Suwanee campuses. Am I flushing my money down the toilet? Does PCOM-GA commonly accept OOS applicants?

I'm from PA and I'd like to apply to both Philadelphia and Suwanee campuses. Am I flushing my money down the toilet? Does PCOM-GA commonly accept OOS applicants?

Yes it's not a public school, I believe they do have somewhat of a regional basis but they still accept a lot of out of region people

Delayed Decision a few months ago. Wait listed yesterday.

Has anyone that's on the wait list heard anything yet?

Anybody from the wait list heard anything?

New applicant here.....does anyone know what the information sessions that they hold are like? They have one on June 24th? Are they helpful?

I think the info sessions are helpful because you get a feel for the school, Professors, and students. So if u have a chance then you should.