Philadelphia COM - Georgia (GA-PCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I'm looking at the curriculum sheet they handed out during interview day and didn't see gross anatomy. I'm going to assume it's taught in term 1 fall. I also noticed that they break up the school year into 3 terms? Does anyone know how long each term is and if you get a break in between?

Members don't see this ad.

Gross anatomy is taught in first term. Each term is 13 weeks and I've heard that, starting with the 2013-2014 year, there will be a one week break between each term.

How about the quality of the clinical rotations GA-PCOM provides with its students?

I've recently read out some other DO schools' students (true or not, idk) that they said they even haven't had chances to write up SOAP notes during 3rd year rotations, most of the times they weren't precepted by attending physicians, and their schools didn't pay enough for the hospitals to teach their students. They are crying out loud on SDN at different threads that they have done almost nothing valuable during the core clinical rotations, and their 3rd years have been wasted. One student (I guess she/he is from RVU, but I'm not sure) has been consistently saying at many threads that his/her general surgery preceptor was a "nurse." :eek:

Here's a recent thread discussing about it: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=986592

Can upperclassmen of GA-PCOM talk about any of these about their 3rd year clinical rotations?

How good the clinical rotations that are provided with by GA-PCOM nowadays?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Gross anatomy is taught in first term. Each term is 13 weeks and I've heard that, starting with the 2013-2014 year, there will be a one week break between each term.

Awesome! Thanks a ton! I was also hoping if anyone could comment on how close knit the student body is. Interview day felt really short - how are study groups, school clubs, going out (etc...) here?

Last edited:
Did anyone get an updated letter after having a delayed decision?

How about the quality of the clinical rotations GA-PCOM provides with its students?

I've recently read out some other DO schools' students (true or not, idk) that they said they even haven't had chances to write up SOAP notes during 3rd year rotations, most of the times they weren't precepted by attending physicians, and their schools didn't pay enough for the hospitals to teach their students. They are crying out loud on SDN at different threads that they have done almost nothing valuable during the core clinical rotations, and their 3rd years have been wasted. One student (I guess she/he is from RVU, but I'm not sure) has been consistently saying at many threads that his/her general surgery preceptor was a "nurse." :eek:

Here's a recent thread discussing about it: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=986592

Can upperclassmen of GA-PCOM talk about any of these about their 3rd year clinical rotations?

How good the clinical rotations that are provided with by GA-PCOM nowadays?

Hey Dr. Bumblebee,

While I am not a medical student and rather a prospective student (just had an interview with PCOM 2 weeks prior), this was actually one of the questions I asked my interviewer. I was specifically told it all depends on who the 3rd year is working with (the attending the student is under) as well as how well the student knows their information and application. I was told that attending's enjoy students who are proactive and put in the time/work and are rewarded by taking over cases or taking lead. However, if the student does not step up and takes more of the sideline approach, then yes the student will learn, but the amount hands on activity will be much less as the attending's do not like their time wasted. I hope this helps.

Hey Dr. Bumblebee,

While I am not a medical student and rather a prospective student (just had an interview with PCOM 2 weeks prior), this was actually one of the questions I asked my interviewer. I was specifically told it all depends on who the 3rd year is working with (the attending the student is under) as well as how well the student knows their information and application. I was told that attending's enjoy students who are proactive and put in the time/work and are rewarded by taking over cases or taking lead. However, if the student does not step up and takes more of the sideline approach, then yes the student will learn, but the amount hands on activity will be much less as the attending's do not like their time wasted. I hope this helps.

Thank you for your kind contribution. However, this really doesn't answer my question. I cannot admit a medical student would pass any chance to better learn how to become a great physician, especially during the core clinical rotations. Student's "proactivity" level might confuse the attending physician in charge. To prevent this subjective confusion and let all students have the same level of chance in clinical learning, there must be a pre-planned, highly structured, smartly tested and continuously monitored clinical education program set up, especially for the 3rd year core rotations. Only after then, more proactive students can gun for more responsibilities that are suitable to reflect their enthuisiasm in medicine. However, without having such a pre-planned, organized, and closely monitored clinical education, the school would clearly be leaving some, if not most, of its students behind.

So, I'd highly appreciate if upperclassmen can comment on the quality of clinical education that GA-PCOM offers to its 3rd and 4th year students.

I'm highly expecting that GA-PCOM won't leave me on my own on my way to becoming a clinically competent medical student, with which I'd feel highly confident to attend to any competitive specialty program of choice after graduation (, and that GA-PCOM won't let nurses precept me at any of my clinical rotations :xf:... I don't wanna be in that poster's shoes one day: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=13720698&postcount=26)

Disclaimer:
I'm not criticizing nor am I questioning GA-PCOM's clinical rotations at any degree; I only would like to learn more about the quality of the clinical rotations that it provides its students with, because there're recently many DO medical school student posters on SDN that are complaining about their clinical rotations without saying their schools' names. I wanna make sure GA-PCOM is not some of their school.

Does anyone know the protocol for a delayed decision? I received one, and don't know if I should contact admissions and beg, just wait it out, write a letter expressing my love, reapply for next year...help!! GA-PCOM is one of my top choices...

delayed decision as well - i thought the interview went well : /

Last edited:
Well guys, remain hopeful. One of my friends received a delayed decision, but was accepted about 2 weeks later. Keep hope alive!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind me asking- did your friend try to contact the school in any way? I am just not familiar with the process, and don't know if they want to hear back from me professing my desire to attend, etc... which I am willing to do, but I don't know if that is appropriate? Thanks for any info....

Well guys, remain hopeful. One of my friends received a delayed decision, but was accepted about 2 weeks later. Keep hope alive!

Accepted on Monday via mail after a delayed decision last week =) Feels unreal still. :D ;) :) :thumbup: :cool:

Did you contact the school after the delayed decision? I am just wondering if I should, to let them know of my interest. I just don't know who to contact- that it would make any difference...

Does anyone know if the wait list is tiered? If so, is it tiered by when you were added to it, or by your application/interview score?

Not sure how they do things with regards to being waitlisted.

Interview scheduled for March 25th. Anyone who goes there, what's your thoughts of PCOM-GA?

Interview scheduled for March 25th. Anyone who goes there, what's your thoughts of PCOM-GA?

I think it is a nice school, it depends on what you are looking for in a school I guess. For me it was about residency options to come back home to do rotations and they have residency programs set up in my home state.

Just a little housing update...

There is a new set of apartments called The Heights being built behind Home Depot on Old Peachtree. They will all be 1-3 bedrooms. No clue as to when they will open, but on some of the buildings they have the siding up, so it should be within the next 6 months I would think. I'll post updates when I can on this. All told, it is ~ 1 mile from the school.

I am interested in which health insurance current/incoming students have. Can you get the coverage that ga-pcom wants for less than 300 dollars per month?

...also, does the school provide with HMO options? How about their coverage and premiums?

...also, does the school provide with HMO options? How about their coverage and premiums?

The school currently offers a PPO insurance plan with 2 options: no deductible or an upfront deductible. The coverage is awesome, but it's very expensive. I don't know many people who purchased their health insurance through the school. They also offer separate vision and dental plans.

I am interested in which health insurance current/incoming students have. Can you get the coverage that ga-pcom wants for less than 300 dollars per month?

I was fortunate enough to be able to be on my parents' insurance for one year. If that's an option for you, make nice with your parents :)

Many of us who no longer have that option purchased private health insurance plans through companies like Humana and BCBS. I have a plan through HumanaOne that is $76/month. If you choose this option, be very careful to ensure all of your medical needs are covered and that you pick a deductible you'd be comfortable paying in the event major medical care is needed. All I really needed was coverage for annual exams/pharmacy and my current plan offers me that.

does ga-pcom have dedicated prep time for comlex1 and usmle1. Current students, do you feel you were adequately prepared for usmle1.

Just a little housing update...

There is a new set of apartments called The Heights being built behind Home Depot on Old Peachtree. They will all be 1-3 bedrooms. No clue as to when they will open, but on some of the buildings they have the siding up, so it should be within the next 6 months I would think. I'll post updates when I can on this. All told, it is ~ 1 mile from the school.

Seems promising, thanks for the update(s).

Anyone heard back for a delayed decision from February?

I will be interviewing in April, any one else on the same boat? I'm surprised I got an interview invite this late!

I'm planning to move with my family to Suwanee in July (or early August) before the school's started.

1) When do you think is a good time to rent an apartment?
2) How long do the apartment managements let you hold an apartment after you officially applied to a particular apartment? (i.e., is it okay to apply in May/June but not start paying for the rent until moved in the apartment?)

I'm planning to move with my family to Suwanee in July (or early August) before the school's started.

1) When do you think is a good time to rent an apartment?
2) How long do the apartment managements let you hold an apartment after you officially applied to a particular apartment? (i.e., is it okay to apply in May/June but not start paying for the rent until moved in the apartment?)

1. If you're very particular about where you want to live, it's probably better to start looking soon. Honestly, I would try to have a place lined up by June.

2. That depends on the particular apartment complex. My roommate and I really wanted to live at 5375 Sugarloaf, so we turned in our application/credit check forms in February with the understanding we weren't moving in until the end of July. The leasing office has been working with PCOM students for a while so they gave us a "pre-lease" on our current unit and we didn't pay a deposit or rent until the day we moved in. I'm not sure if they still do this, though.

Congrats to all those accepted! Can anyone share info on the delayed decision list? Is it ranked and is it the same thing as a wait list? Any idea what percentage of the class is full?

Congrats to all those accepted! Can anyone share info on the delayed decision list? Is it ranked and is it the same thing as a wait list? Any idea what percentage of the class is full?

No the two are different. Delayed decision means they haven't made a decision on your file. You could still be accepted, waitlisted, or denied.
And you know what waitlisted means.

Don't give up hope yet. Deposits are due in April so if people don't pay that could possibly open up some seats.

How about the yearly weather in Suwanee? Has it ever snowed up there?

How about the yearly weather in Suwanee? Has it ever snowed up there?

The weather is great here, it gets hot and humid (but not as bad as Florida or my previous state of Louisiana) in the summer months and spring is great. The last "big" winter weather event was in 2011; there was snow and ice and the entire metro Atlanta area was closed because, at the time, there were only 2 snow plows in the metro Atlanta area.

I'm originally from Upstate NY...so I don't think the snow here is a big deal :) Mostly flurries and some mornings you'll wake up to ice on your car.

The weather is great here, it gets hot and humid (but not as bad as Florida or my previous state of Louisiana) in the summer months and spring is great. The last "big" winter weather event was in 2011; there was snow and ice and the entire metro Atlanta area was closed because, at the time, there were only 2 snow plows in the metro Atlanta area.

I'm originally from Upstate NY...so I don't think the snow here is a big deal :) Mostly flurries and some mornings you'll wake up to ice on your car.

Thank you for sharing your personal experience.

I got a dusting on my car the other day, and now it's in the 70's. So basically, there isn't any consistency this time of year. As for snow, I've lived in the L'ville/Suwanee area since '99 and I can say with some certainty that snow has really only been sever enough to shut things down twice. True story: when my wife and I were in High School at Collins Hill (in Suwanee) they shut the school down on the threat of snow. The only problem was, we didn't see a flake of it. The biggest weather problem here is torrential downpours and flooding, i.e the 500 year flood of 2009 and the tropical storms that seem to happen every 10 years or so. Hope this helps.

Does anyone know if GA-PCOM grants deferrals? ie matriculating in august 2014 rather than 2013. If so, are there stipulations?

They definitely do have a regional bias. They typically don't look at applicants from out of the southeastern US unless you get a hold of them and explain your connection to the area. Applicants from the rest of the country will get a secondary application request, but after that you have to explain your connection to get an interview. It can be difficult to get a hold of the admissions office, but keep calling until you do.