***PEDS Official 2023 PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have thoughts on why Colorado has so many unmatched spots? I think 6 of 9 are open.

Members don't see this ad.

How much is the stipend for children’s hospital of Colorado? Anyone knows?

Members don't see this ad :)
So they offered you a post match spot without interviewing you? Did you get someone on the phone or did you just email your Cv? What did you do? I tried to email them my CV and haven’t heard back.

if you did not match and applied to post match, can you decline the position if you get offered another acceptance?

Yes you can, if you have not yet signed a contract with the program

Reactions: 1 users
A
So they offered you a post match spot without interviewing you? Did you get someone on the phone or did you just email your Cv? What did you do? I tried to email them my CV and haven’t heard back

I emailed some programs in the morning without knowing if they had spots open, so I got some saying they don’t and some said yes! By they request I sent cv and pass application but actually I added my pass application number in the email since I had apply to those programs, I actually got interview the same day and another offered interview for the following day. I think when they post the open spots people start reaching out and they can’t respond to all….I had applied several times before and I did reach programs the match day, It didn’t work for me before…until now…

Reactions: 1 user
Now that the room has stopped spinning, I just wanted to say that I matched with University of Pitt as a D4. I did not have a great GPA (3.03) and rank (79/103). I know that when I was applying, I truly did not think I had a chance and was always looking for a post on old pages for someone in my position. I think that is why I am posting this. For someone in future years to see and to have faith in the fact that they can do it! Looking forward to meeting my co-resident who is currently going through post-match!

Reactions: 5 users
*compulsively refreshes emails because if i don’t see a confirmation i will not believe it happened

I just need a good nights sleep 🥲 is that too much to ask
I would call or email the PD + Residency Coordinator to confirm/thank them/say how excited how you are to begin/will be waiting for correspondence from them

Congrats to everyone who MATCHED!!! :)

If you all wouldn't mind filling this out for myself, who will be applying this cycle, and all others who are wanting to be inspired by you all! :love:

Program Matched:
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
International Student (yes/no):
NBME scores:
Class Ranking/Size:
Externship(s)/where:
Research:
Extracurriculars:
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position:

I have an opportunity to post match at NYU Langone Tampa. Is anyone a resident or willing to share information and insight on this program?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an opportunity to post match at NYU Langone Tampa. Is anyone a resident or willing to share information and insight on this program?
Thanks!
I'm interviewing at another NYU langone location, did they let u know on the spot or did u have to go through an interview and social?

I'm interviewing at another NYU langone location, did they let u know on the spot or did u have to go through an interview and social?
I was not offered an interview when I first applied during the cycle. I reached out after i didnt match and i received an email saying they are interested in interviewing with me virtually. I havent done the interview yet and there is no social planned. I feel like i know very little about this program :/

Does anyone know how long it typically takes for NYU langone programs to let u know if they will take you? On their site it states that post match interview until march?

I was not offered an interview when I first applied during the cycle. I reached out after i didnt match and i received an email saying they are interested in interviewing with me virtually. I havent done the interview yet and there is no social planned. I feel like i know very little about this program :/
Did you send an email to them initially , or did you send pass application ?

Did you send an email to them initially , or did you send pass application ?

Congratulations and good luck !

NYU - Langone programs will interview for the next few months and they will randomly send you emails for each site to interview. I think I interviewed at 3 post match last year. Usually, they will tell you when you will hear back from them if you are accepted. If it’s like last year, as long as you applied to one NYU - Langone program then they will have your application on file for all of them. I never emailed any for post match. Plus, whenever they open new sites they don’t participate in Match for the first year and you may get a random site interview.

NYU - Langone programs will interview for the next few months and they will randomly send you emails for each site to interview. I think I interviewed at 3 post match last year. Usually, they will tell you when you will hear back from them if you are accepted. If it’s like last year, as long as you applied to one NYU - Langone program then they will have your application on file for all of them. I never emailed any for post match. Plus, whenever they open new sites they don’t participate in Match for the first year and you may get a random site interview.
Whats up with NYU opening so many peds programs?

Thank you! The onyl reason im asking is because im also applying to gpr. Not sure if I want to wait 3 months for everything to wrap up or take gpr positions. Im doing my interview at one of the sites this week, hopefully they will get back to me soon.

Hi
Any one recieved post match interview call from
Boston University-Goldman School

does anyone have any information for any of the NYU Langone location? I am applying for their post match positions, I do not have any preference but I was considering AZ location. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Any current/past residents or people who have interviewed/externed at NYU langone peds (brooklyn) give me some more info about the program? The schedule seems intense and I heard the attending is very strict. Thank you ! pls pm me if youre not comfortable sharing on here

Last edited:
For those who matched, did you receive a confirmation letter from the program?

For those who matched, did you receive a confirmation letter from the program?
The director where I matched emailed me the morning of match. They don’t have to though. Just send you email telling them you look forward to the residency.

Last edited:
After a post-match interview, did you follow up with a thank you? And did you ask to get current residents emails, etc.? Or did you wait till you got accepted during post-match? Can anyone post the post-match open spots now too? Thank you!

I'm surprised Children's Colorado had that many spots opened for post-match. Damn. Typically large hospital-based programs are the most competitive ones. I guess the Colorado program is not doing too well this year.
I’ve heard it has a reputation for not treating residents well.

Big Hoss
It’s because their hospital only allows the program to extend 30 interviews out for 9 spots. This year 27-28 people accepted the interview. I don’t care how great of a program you are, if you’re interviewing 3 applicants per spot, you’re going to have a number of unmatched spots. To put things into perspective, the most competitive residencies usually interview 5 per spot, but a lot of programs interview 15-20 per spot.

As for the program itself, it’s a baller program and the residents get a ton of great experience - especially with trauma, sedations (and I’m not talking about this Benadryl BS that many programs count as sedations), medically complex cases, and OR experience. For those that post matched there, congrats you should be pumped; you’re going to be a very well-trained, kick ass pedodontist.

For future applicants reading this, if you can go to hospital based program, definitely do it. The experience isn’t comparable. Pediatric residency is super short. You want to do and see as much as you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
It’s because their hospital only allows the program to extend 30 interviews out for 9 spots. This year 27-28 people accepted the interview. I don’t care how great of a program you are, if you’re interviewing 3 applicants per spot, you’re going to have a number of unmatched spots. To put things into perspective, the most competitive residencies usually interview 5 per spot, but a lot of programs interview 15-20 per spot.

As for the program itself, it’s a baller program and the residents get a ton of great experience - especially with trauma, sedations (and I’m not talking about this Benadryl BS that many programs count as sedations), medically complex cases, and OR experience. For those that post matched there, congrats you should be pumped; you’re going to be a very well-trained, kick ass pedodontist.

For future applicants reading this, if you can go to hospital based program, definitely do it. The experience isn’t comparable. Pediatric residency is super short. You want to do and see as much as you can.
Never said the training wasn’t good. Just pointed out what I’ve heard from multiple people about how residents were treated in the past. You failed to mention anything about that.

And, it still is surprising that they failed to Match 6 out of 9 spots, even if they only interviewed 30 as you claim. It wasn’t just 1 or 2. If it really is a good education, something else must be going on for them to fail to Match 2/3rds of their spots. Something like 80% of peds applicants that Matched did so at their #1 or #2. So, why are applicants ranking this program so far down on their lists to leave it 2/3rds un-Matched? Of the 30 interviewees, the program could only convince what 4 or 5 to rank the program #1 or #2? Something must be up with this program, and again based on what I’ve heard it’s likely the program’s culture.

Big Hoss

Last edited:
Never said the training wasn’t good. Just pointed out what I’ve heard from multiple people about how residents were treated in the past. You failed to mention anything about that.

And, it still is surprising that they failed to Match 6 out of 9 spots, even if they only interviewed 30 as you claim. It wasn’t just 1 or 2. If it really is a good education, something else must be going on for them to fail to Match 2/3rds of their spots. Something like 80% of peds applicants that Matched did so at their #1 or #2. So, why are applicants ranking this program so far down on their lists to leave it 2/3rds un-Matched? Of the 30 interviewees, the program could only convince what 4 or 5 to rank the program #1 or #2? Something must be up with this program, and again based on what I’ve heard it’s likely the program’s culture.

Big Hoss
It doesn’t matter how good a program is or how great the culture is, people have different reasons for ranking programs higher on their list - regional preference/family ties is a big one that comes to mind. They interview a lot of people from the north east who just don’t want to leave that area for residency. It has nothing to do with the culture of their program being poor.

Again, show me a program that interviews 3 applicants per spot that doesn’t have a lot of unmatched spots. I agree it’s dumb they interview so few, but that’s something they’re going to have to work out with their hospital.

You seem very privy to the inner workings of this hospital. Does the hospital limit all residencies to 3 interviewees per spot? Or, are they just bullying dental?

people have different reasons for ranking programs higher on their list - regional preference/family ties is a big one that comes to mind. They interview a lot of people from the north east who just don’t want to leave that area for residency.

So…the program, knowing it’s limited on interviews, burns a bunch of them interviewing candidates that likely won’t rank them high, because the program likes to get “less than ideal” residents in the post-Match scramble? Makes a lot of sense.

Big Hoss

Last edited:

Thank you for your input. Although I totally understand all your points, there are still several things that just don't make much sense. But to point out just a couple of things:

1. This wasn't their first rodeo. It makes absolutely no sense that they thought they were going to be OK with just having 27-28 interviews for 9 spots. And why is this suddenly a problem? In past five to ten years, this was never much of a problem, especially at a program like Children's Colorado. I mean you don't see this kind of problem at any other big name hospital-based programs (Boston, Cincinnati, National, Nationwide, Wisconsin, etc.)
2. Also having 6 spots open for post-match at a "Hospital-Based" program is quite embarrassing. I mean we all know hospital-based programs are far more competitive than combined or university-based. So having that many spots open for post-match should correlate to something more than "application/interview size."

So to say that this occurred because of the unfortunate event of MATCH process is not very convincing. I'm definitely not calling the program bad or anything negative but having that many unmatched spots is something that needs to be discussed further than calling it "due to the Match algorithm."

Hi,
My GRE score was V;149/Q:166/ W:3.5. Do you think I have to retake it? For some universities, GRE is required. Not sure what to do.

I think Washington, Texas A&M. Not sure about others.
According to the ADEA PASS program search engine, neither of those programs requires the GRE (they appear to only require the GRE or ADAT for graduates of foreign dental schools). Since so few peds applicants apply with a GRE score, probably only a handful, who really knows what scores would impress programs.

Big Hoss

Last edited:
According to the ADEA PASS program search engine, neither of those programs requires the GRE (they appear to only require the GRE or ADAT for graduates of foreign dental schools). Since so few peds applicants apply with a GRE score, probably only a handful, who really knows what scores would impress programs.

Big Hoss
I saw it there
AAPD | University of Washington Children's Hospital
Thank you, so it's better to focus on ADAT. Thanks

I saw it there
AAPD | University of Washington Children's Hospital
Thank you, so it's better to focus on ADAT. Thanks
The ADAT will take a lot more time to prep for than the GRE. And again, there are only going to be a handful of applicants that take the ADAT. So what would programs consider a good ADAT score?

I’d use this site to get an idea of program requirements. If in doubt, I’d directly contact programs.

Big Hoss

Last edited:
The ADAT will take a lot more time to prep for than the GRE. And again, there are only going to be a handful of applicants that take the ADAT. So what would programs consider a good ADAT score?

I’d use this site to get an idea of program requirements. If in doubt, I’d directly contact programs.

Big Hoss
Thank you, will check it. Already had registered for ADAT:(. As I'm International student, I thought it would be helpful.

Thank you, will check it. Already had registered for ADAT:(. As I'm International student, I thought it would be helpful.
Im an international. Skip adat its a joke. Sit for inbde and study hard for the gre (four months should be ok). Dont remember the scores that are considered good ( i myself didnt take it because only a&m wanted it and its ABSURD that these programs dont realize how many hoops you have to jump through if you’re an international. Being the only fing peds program that asks for a random extra standardized test is funny. What if everyone did this and you applied to 10 programs and you had to sit for 10 different standardized tests? Lol. As long as we have time to waste from our lives and money to spend for useless stuff. I didnt even apply to a&m because its hard already and im not gonna waste my time and money to MAYBE be considered for a program that NEVER accepts internationals. Literally a director told me they have never seen an international student at peds a&m. Anyway.) If you do want to sit for it just to be able to APPLY to ONE program, then you should see it as a stand-alone thing. The scores scale should be the same as for the general pool of test takers for the GRE. So look up some forums to see what is considered good.

Im an international. Skip adat its a joke. Sit for inbde and study hard for the gre (four months should be ok). Dont remember the scores that are considered good ( i myself didnt take it because only a&m wanted it and its ABSURD that these programs dont realize how many hoops you have to jump through if you’re an international. Being the only fing peds program that asks for a random extra standardized test is funny. What if everyone did this and you applied to 10 programs and you had to sit for 10 different standardized tests? Lol. As long as we have time to waste from our lives and money to spend for useless stuff. I didnt even apply to a&m because its hard already and im not gonna waste my time and money to MAYBE be considered for a program that NEVER accepts internationals. Literally a director told me they have never seen an international student at peds a&m. Anyway.) If you do want to sit for it just to be able to APPLY to ONE program, then you should see it as a stand-alone thing. The scores scale should be the same as for the general pool of test takers for the GRE. So look up some forums to see what is considered good.
Oh! Thank you. Opened my eye.

It may be a requirement from the university that any graduate from a foreign school take the GRE. It may not be up to the program.

Big Hoss