**Official PASS 2024 Pediatric Dentistry Residency Interviews/Information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why do program directors ask how many programs you applied to?
so they can gauge how serious you are and quantify ranking you if you're a strong applicant, especially if they're not a stronger desirable program, I just answered this by saying I applied broadly, without giving a number

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really like program A. Unfortunately, they interview 60 people for 4 spots. Program B is also amazing but A is where I really want to be.
How does match work? If I rank A #1 and B #2, and B ranks me #1, what are the percentages I get into B if I don't match with A?

I really like program A. Unfortunately, they interview 60 people for 4 spots. Program B is also amazing but A is where I really want to be.
How does match work? If I rank A #1 and B #2, and B ranks me #1, what are the percentages I get into B if I don't match with A?
If A does not rank you high enough to be 1 of the 4 residents, then it is 100% certain you go to B as far as I know. Someone please correct me if I am misunderstanding the match!

Reactions: 1 users
There’s a video on the MATCH website that explains how the process works. There’s not a real percentage anyone can give you because it will depend on how they rank you, how other candidates rank them, how they rank other candidates, and individual rank lists… it’s very complicated.

If you (let’s call you “applicant red”) rank Program A #1 and they rank you #1-4 for one of their 4 spots, you would match into that program. Now, let’s say you rank Program A #1, but they rank you #5. And Program A ranks applicants pink, blue, yellow, and green #1-4 respectively and those 4 applicants also put Program A as their #1. You would not match as those spots would be filled.
However, let’s say applicants pink, blue, yellow, and green all rank other programs more highly than Program A and let’s assume those other programs still have openings. Those 4 applicants will be placed in those outside positions. Now, applicants that Program A ranked as their #5-8 will move into their #1-4 positions (assuming those candidates also ranked Program A highly and weren’t placed elsewhere a.k.a a higher ranked program on their list). In this case, you, applicant red, would match into Program A as you are now their #1 after previously being #5.

Reactions: 3 users
There’s a video on the MATCH website that explains how the process works. There’s not a real percentage anyone can give you because it will depend on how they rank you, how other candidates rank them, how they rank other candidates, and individual rank lists… it’s very complicated.

If you (let’s call you “applicant red”) rank Program A #1 and they rank you #1-4 for one of their 4 spots, you would match into that program. Now, let’s say you rank Program A #1, but they rank you #5. And Program A ranks applicants pink, blue, yellow, and green #1-4 respectively and those 4 applicants also put Program A as their #1. You would not match as those spots would be filled.
However, let’s say applicants pink, blue, yellow, and green all rank other programs more highly than Program A and let’s assume those other programs still have openings. Those 4 applicants will be placed in those outside positions. Now, applicants that Program A ranked as their #5-8 will move into their #1-4 positions (assuming those candidates also ranked Program A highly and weren’t placed elsewhere a.k.a a higher ranked program on their list). In this case, you, applicant red, would match into Program A as you are now their #1 after previously being #5.
Thanks for the detailed explanation!

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone interviewing for Temple/UPENN or any other program in Philly, does anyone want to take my airbnb?
I booked an airbnb but now I cannot go (dates are flexible)

hi, does anyone have a dec 1st nyu langone- San Diego date that they would be willing to trade with my Nov 30th slot? Would be a huge help!

Would anybody be able to trade their Friday 12/8 OneBrooklyn interview for my Thursday 12/7 one?

Anyone knows if Children's hospital of Michigan sent their invites?

Does anyone know anything about the Oklahoma program? Other than it is a new program?

How important is having IV sedation in residency? Trying to decide how to rank the programs. Thank you guys!
I've heard that in private practice, pediatric dentists bring in anesthesiologists to handle sedation, so they can fully focus on the dental work without worrying too much about liability stuff.

Hi! How can I send my INBDE results to schools?
Go onto the ADA site where you view your score, press "Send Scores" next to 'score results' and you should see an orange "NBDE/INBDE" button. Press that and select "ADEA PASS" should be about $50.
At least that's how I did it.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much! That’s what I did . And when I check on pass it only shows me “received “ and doesn’t show the results.is it same thing for you ?
schools should have access to it right ? Cuz I got an email from one of the schools that when are you planning to take your boards and I replied that I already did and I submitted on pass , and they emailed me back that they can not see it and they will give it couple of days for pass to update
Idk …

Thanks so much! That’s what I did . And when I check on pass it only shows me “received “ and doesn’t show the results.is it same thing for you ?
schools should have access to it right ? Cuz I got an email from one of the schools that when are you planning to take your boards and I replied that I already did and I submitted on pass , and they emailed me back that they can not see it and they will give it couple of days for pass to update
Idk …
What I did to check was go on ADEA PASS, click "Submit Application" and you'll see all of the programs you applied to. Click download on any of the programs and that will download your application (what the programs see). Open it and your INBDE results should be on there. (the section should be in green). Hope this helps!

Is it for sure that the match favors the applicant?

What would happen if an applicants ranks program A #1, program B #2.

Program A has 10 spots, ranks applicant 10. Program B has 2 spots and ranks applicant 1. Would applicant match at program A or program B?

Is it for sure that the match favors the applicant?

What would happen if an applicants ranks program A #1, program B #2.

Program A has 10 spots, ranks applicant 10. Program B has 2 spots and ranks applicant 1. Would applicant match at program A or program B?
Then I believe applicant would get into program A.

Did anybody get an acceptance call from the University of Toledo (they are not in MATCH)? They were supposed to call starting the first week of December...

Did anybody get an acceptance call from the University of Toledo (they are not in MATCH)? They were supposed to call starting the first week of December...
My friend got one

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone ,

I have a question regarding working visas for a partner moving to the states with me.

I am Canadian and I heard that a spouse could get a living visa while I’m doing my residency…. However can he also get a working visa through the school I would be completing the program with ?

Any insight would be much appreciated !!!

Hi everyone ,

I have a question regarding working visas for a partner moving to the states with me.

I am Canadian and I heard that a spouse could get a living visa while I’m doing my residency…. However can he also get a working visa through the school I would be completing the program with ?

Any insight would be much appreciated !!!

NYU Langone PGY-2 resident here. I’m sharing my experience for any applicants who are thinking about having babies in residency. I’ve had the best experience with NYU Langone. When I was applying, i didn’t know how great the benefits were. I encourage you all to ask about the benefits at other sites you interviewed at

1) I took an 8 week PAID leave of absence/maternity leave. I have to make up the time at the end of residency, but I’ll still get paid when I’m making it up. And I’m so happy I got to take that time to be home with my baby. As a private practice associate, you’ll never get a paid maternity leave again. Might as well enjoy it!

2) health insurance is amazing. My hospital bill was over 17,000 and I paid 1,700.

3) I didn’t use this benefit but know NYU Langone offers amazing benefits if you want to freeze eggs for the future

My site attendings were all super supportive and I couldn’t ask for a better situation. Best of luck to you all!

Reactions: 2 users
NYU Langone PGY-2 resident here. I’m sharing my experience for any applicants who are thinking about having babies in residency. I’ve had the best experience with NYU Langone. When I was applying, i didn’t know how great the benefits were. I encourage you all to ask about the benefits at other sites you interviewed at

1) I took an 8 week PAID leave of absence/maternity leave. I have to make up the time at the end of residency, but I’ll still get paid when I’m making it up. And I’m so happy I got to take that time to be home with my baby. As a private practice associate, you’ll never get a paid maternity leave again. Might as well enjoy it!

2) health insurance is amazing. My hospital bill was over 17,000 and I paid 1,700.

3) I didn’t use this benefit but know NYU Langone offers amazing benefits if you want to freeze eggs for the future

My site attendings were all super supportive and I couldn’t ask for a better situation. Best of luck to you all!
Can I message you?