**Official 2024 OMFS PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are the post match spots?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
26! Last year there were, I think, around 6 and that was a crazy high number. 26 can’t be the final number…that seems impossible. :oops:
The report says 12 spots last year 26 this year. I don’t have access to see specific schools/programs.

Reactions: 1 user
26! Last year there were, I think, around 6 and that was a crazy high number. 26 can’t be the final number…that seems impossible. :oops:
12 last year. I mean they will get filled, but crazy it is that many

It says 233 spots filled, as opposed to 231 last year. It also says there were 259 spots this year, compared to 243 last year. Were there really 16 extra spots available? Doesn’t seem right considering idk any programs that opened recently. Anyone know?

I think there was a new program in Rochester and Henry Ford is a new one. San Antonio also increased the number of residents by 1. But that still is pretty far from 16 new spots.

Can someone explain why some programs end up with unmatched spots and does it say anything about them?

Can someone explain why some programs end up with unmatched spots and does it say anything about them?
It can. I have heard sometimes it can happen if the program isn't stable and attendings come and go or the PD changes. It can also be just a caveat of the match process (e.g. if everyone that the program lists highly ranked other schools higher than that school). Maybe a resident knows more about this than me but thats what i think

Was anyone able to match with a below step 1 passing score? Congrats to all that matched today!

It can. I have heard sometimes it can happen if the program isn't stable and attendings come and go or the PD changes. It can also be just a caveat of the match process (e.g. if everyone that the program lists highly ranked other schools higher than that school). Maybe a resident knows more about this than me but thats what i thi
Yeah 26 unmatched spots are a LOT! some programs always seem to have this issue...
Appreciate the response.

Do unmatched spots end up getting filled by applicants cold calling? Or are those programs just understaffed for a cycle? I am confused about how that works.

Members don't see this ad :)
Program matched at:
International Student (yes/no):
NBME scores:
Class Ranking/Size:
Externship(s)/where:
Research:
Extracurriculars:
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked:

Heard there were post match spots at Columbia, LIJ, Vanderbilt, Emory, LSU NO, Loma Linda, BU, Kings, and a bunch more..

Can someone post an image on the info where spots went unfilled.

Weird question and might be for a different thread, but what gives you a better chance of matching: applying to both 6 and 4 year programs or exclusively applying to 4 or 6 year programs. Congrats to those who matched!

Weird question and might be for a different thread, but what gives you a better chance of matching: applying to both 6 and 4 year programs or exclusively applying to 4 or 6 year programs. Congrats to those who matched!

I don't think applying to both necessarily increases your chances. 6 year programs like to see a high CBSE, so if you have a good score you'll have better luck with those programs. Applying to more programs overall is also better for your chances just due to probability.

From what I can tell, applying to both shouldn't have an effect on your chances one way or another.

Program matched at: Northeast 6 year
International Student (yes/no): no
CBSE scores: 72% (77 or 217)
Class Ranking/Size: top 25%
Externship(s)/where: 2 local (not at matched program)
Research: one but no pubs
Extracurriculars: none
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 34/14/14/14

Matched #1

Reactions: 3 users
I applied to both. I had a non-cat under my belt with a good CBSE score and I got significantly more interviews at 6-year programs than 4-year ones, which I thought was kind of odd. Not sure why I was passed over by 'em. Ended up matching to a 6-year program this morning, which is what I had a slight preference for anyway, so it all worked out.

If you wanna increase your chances just apply to as many programs as you can. Obviously avoid the ones that don't offer what you're looking for in a residency but every other submission is another opportunity to match if they offer you an interview.

CA, Loma Linda Loma Linda University

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

Code: 110212 Positions: 2
GA, Atlanta Emory University

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

Code: 111212 Positions: 1
LA, New Orleans Louisiana State University-New Orleans

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

Code: 112211 Positions: 2
LA, Shreveport Louisiana State University- Shreveport

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

Code: 122211 Positions: 1
MA, Boston Boston University-Goldman School

OMS-4 YR

Code: 112411 Positions: 1
OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

Code: 112412 Positions: 2
MI, Detroit Detroit Receiving Hosp/University Health Center

OMS-4 YR

Code: 117712 Positions: 1
MI, Detroit Henry Ford Health-Henry Ford Hospital

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

Code: 122511 Positions: 2
NY, Brooklyn Kings County Hospital Center

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

Code: 118811 Positions: 1
NY, Brooklyn The Brooklyn Hospital Center

OMS-4 YR

Code: 118911 Positions: 2
NY, New Hyde Park Long Island Jewish Medical Center

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

Code: 119211 Positions: 1
NY, New York New York Presbyterian Hosp/Columbia University Med

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

Code: 113711 Positions: 2
NY, Rochester University of Rochester

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

Code: 119912 Positions: 1
OK, Oklahoma City University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center

OMS-4 YR

Code: 114211 Positions: 1
PA, Danville Geisinger Health

OMS-4 YR

Code: 112811 Positions: 1
TN, Nashville Vanderbilt University Medical Center

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

Code: 121211 Positions: 1
TX, JBSA Lackland San Antonio Military OMS Residency

OMS-4 YR starting in 2025 after Officer Training

Code: 123211 Positions: 2

Reactions: 3 users

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-4 YR

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-4 YR

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-4 YR

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-4 YR

OMS-4 YR

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

Military lol? Why would anyone want to do that when there's no loan forgiveness, you start in 2025, and we're on the brink of WW3.

Reactions: 2 users

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-4 YR

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-4 YR

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-4 YR

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-4 YR

OMS-4 YR

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

this is an incredibly long list - this is an anomaly right?

University of Tennessee Health Science Center - Memphis

The University of Tennessee Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery is now accepting applications for a Noncategorical Internship Position. If you are interested in this position, please email your CV, transcript, and personal statement to our program director, Dr. Brett Wilson, at [email protected]

Please visit our department's website for more information about our program: Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Last edited:
Military lol? Why would anyone want to do that when there's no loan forgiveness, you start in 2025, and we're on the brink of WW3.
Yea, not to mention abysmal salary when paying back the 4 years.

this is an incredibly long list - this is an anomaly right?
For sure! Since 2016 these are the numbers…6, 6, 11, 10, 5, 1, 5, 12, and 26 (24 if you don’t include military). Not sure how to interpret this…so many variables can affect this year-to-year. But, what’s interesting is that there are a few of the same programs that had unfilled spot this year also had unfilled spots last year.

Reactions: 1 users
For sure! Since 2016 these are the numbers…6, 6, 11, 10, 5, 1, 5, 12, and 26 (24 if you don’t include military). Not sure how to interpret this…so many variables can affect this year-to-year. But, what’s interesting is that there are a few of the same programs that had unfilled spot this year also had unfilled spots last year.
The fact that some of the same programs from last year have unfilled spots, what does that say about them?

WHICH PROGRAMS DID NOT FILL SPOTS FOR LAST AND THIS YEAR?

WHICH PROGRAMS DID NOT FILL SPOTS FOR LAST AND THIS YEAR?
Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 8.06.32 PM.png

Thank you for sharing the list! Meanwhile, I am preparing to retake the CBSE exam this February. In the event that I achieve a better score on this test, would there still be interviews conducted in February, specifically around the second week?

Thank you for sharing the list! Meanwhile, I am preparing to retake the CBSE exam this February. In the event that I achieve a better score on this test, would there still be interviews conducted in February, specifically around the second week?
Highly doubt it, I bet all spots will be filled by the end of this week. They wouldn’t wait a month.

Hey everyone, JPS OMFS is currently still accepting applications for two of the five non-categorical positions.

This is a very unique non-cat:
-JPS takes 5 non-categorical interns every year with seniors being one 5th year and two 6th years rotating from Parkland OMFS.
-JPS is a level 1 trauma center and OMFS takes trauma call 24/7/365.
-You get plenty of OR experience and get perform procedures in the OR with the guidance of an attending/chief
-Plenty of dentoalveolar experience, facial pain clinic (injecting Botox), trauma clinic, cancer rotation, and more
-You also get plenty of support throughout the match process!

Successful match ratio with 5/5 matched for the past 2+ years.

You can contact program coordinator Cortney Moore for more information/for the application!
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 817-702-1324

What this means is that programs are all chasing the same pool of impressive applicants, and there are not enough to go around. Maybe it’s poor interview prep. Maybe it’s rising pass threshold of Step 1. Maybe it’s too much confidence in their program. Not sure. But it sucks to see so many unmatched spots with hundreds of people who didn’t match. Maybe we should limit the number of interviews an applicant can do like MD teams have started doing.

Reactions: 6 users
Program matched at: NYC 4 year
NBME scores: 78%
Class Ranking/Size: 60/90
Externship(s)/where: 5 weeks all over country
Research: unrelated poster presentation
Extracurriculars: journal club president
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 40/17/12/11

Anyone who thinks it's over for them don't give up! Matched straight out of school despite my nearly failing out of school d1 year. Couldn't be happier. Never expected this.

Reactions: 12 users

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-4 YR

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-4 YR

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-4 YR

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

OMS-4 YR

OMS-4 YR

OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

Could this be from med schools vetoing applicants that the omfs department ranked highly?

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 1.14.56 PM.png

Yale Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery has an open non-categorical internship year available for the upcoming academic year.

Accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation, the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (OMS) Residency Program at Yale New Haven Hospital teaches residents the full scope of skills needed to practice in either a hospital or a private office. We are a 4-year program that offers 2 categorical and 1 non-categorical position each year.

Responsibilities:

• Functions together with other first years in sharing responsibilities including
  • Dentoalveolar procedures in the clinic
  • Operating room experience with senior-level residents and attending surgeons
  • Taking primary tooth and trauma call
  • Participating and presenting at journal club, case conference, orthognathic conference, implant conference, craniofacial conference, Tumor Board
  • Perioperative management of inpatients
  • Participation in anesthesia emergency simulation labs

Additional information can be found at:
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Documentation needed:
Graduate of an ADA-accredited dental school
A valid certificate of GPR completion or Letter from program director if currently completing GPR year
CBSE score (if taken, not a requirement)
CV
Dental school transcripts
PASS application if applicable via email

Please send documentation to the rising chiefs below

Last edited:
Program matched at: NYC 4 year
NBME scores: 78%
Class Ranking/Size: 60/90
Externship(s)/where: 5 weeks all over country
Research: unrelated poster presentation
Extracurriculars: journal club president
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 40/17/12/11

Anyone who thinks it's over for them don't give up! Matched straight out of school despite my nearly failing out of school d1 year. Couldn't be happier. Never expected this.
messaged

Program matched at: 6 year
International Student (yes/no): No
CBSE: mid to high 60 EPC
Class Ranking/Size: middle to lower third/100+
Externship(s)/where: 4 all across the US
Research: no
Non-categorical: 1 year
Extracurriculars: nothing significant
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 60/7/7/7

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Program matched at: 4 year NE program
NBME scores: 75+
Class Ranking/Size: no class rank, GPA >3.9
Externship(s)/where: 4 across all the US, mix of 4 and 6 year
Research: Couple of posters
Non-categorical: 1 year
Extracurriculars: Some community and church service and leadership, honors oral surgery program and couple of clubs in DS
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 36/19/16/16

I applied last year and didn’t match, even with a good number of interviews. From what I’ve seen, good CBSE score and a well rounded application get you interviews, but once you have the interview, that’s pretty much all that matters. Programs want to see whether you’re a normal person, someone who fits with their culture and who they can work with and rely on for the next 4-6 years. I don’t think I interviewed so well the first time around, but lots of practice made for a much better experience this year.

Also, not matching and doing a noncat doesn’t mean the world is ending. I’ve had a great experience at my noncat so far and wouldn’t trade it. It’s a tough path, but good things come to those who work hard and stick with it!

Reactions: 7 users
Could this be from med schools vetoing applicants that the omfs department ranked highly?

This is overblown. I have a 3.0 undergrad from 10 years ago, and have been accepted to a 6 year.

Some programs will tell you if the medical school accepts or rejects you, as I was told that I have been accepted into 3 of the medical schools pending match. I have also gotten a few tell me they rejected me (usually the ones that want you to go through AMCAS will reject you). I am very sure that if you have a good application, 70%+, top 25%, then there will still be enough 6 years that give you looks.

I will also say that I have interviewed at a few of these programs and they interviewed like 6-7 people per spot, whereas at others, there were like 15-25 people per spot. I was expecting some of these to go unmatched.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Doubt it, I think most of us that interviewed here ranked them pretty low and had high interest in other programs

Program Matched: South 6 yr
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2024
NBME scores: 69 EPC (74, 211)
Class Ranking/Size: ~40/100
Externship(s)/where: 6 externships
Research: 2 projects, presentation at conference, no publications
Extracurriculars: Lots of community service, clubs, OS involvement
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 55/25/14/14

I read these forums going through dental school and was always discouraged seeing people at top of their class with extremely high CBSE scores. Given my stats and lower class rank I think SDN would have told me I would have to grind it out through a non-cat. Because of that I applied very broadly but ended up receiving a lot more interview invites than I expected. I hope that this can be a source of hope for that dental student who may not be at the top of their class and wants to do oral surgery to hold on to the dream and have relentless pursuit. Work hard on the CBSE. I did more externships and spent a lot of time with my home program and developed good relationships with faculty to get good LORs. Keep at it, be kind and humble, and you’ll find a way!

Reactions: 10 users
Has anybody been accepted into OMFS non-categorical internships? I haven't heard back from some programs and I was curious if spots are still available

Has anybody been accepted into OMFS non-categorical internships? I haven't heard back from some programs and I was curious if spots are still available
I've seen multiple programs post about their non-cat openings on insta within the last 4 hours so I assume there are still at least some spots available.

When is the last day to apply for PASS? Asking for next year, sorry again for asking random questions

What this means is that programs are all chasing the same pool of impressive applicants, and there are not enough to go around. Maybe it’s poor interview prep. Maybe it’s rising pass threshold of Step 1. Maybe it’s too much confidence in their program. Not sure. But it sucks to see so many unmatched spots with hundreds of people who didn’t match. Maybe we should limit the number of interviews an applicant can do like MD teams have started doing.

Why take autonomy away from the applicant? Maybe the programs should be expected to rank more of the applicants they interview. Applicants apply to places they know they would be willing to attend. It should go both ways imo.

Reactions: 1 users