PCSOM Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
eadysx said:
Hey there, sorry no one has answered you yet, were are a few days away from the last block exam before x-mas break. Everyone here is fried and ready to get away. Bump the thread after this friday and I will try to remember to answer your question as best I can. Aaron will be back on-line then too I would assume.

E-

thanks E. i'll check back this weekend. another question to go along with the others: how many people have needed to take out alternative loans as well as gov't monies?

good luck to all of you on blocks, and merry christmas.

k

Members don't see this ad.

kendall said:
hey all,

just wondering if someone could give me an idea about how their budgets for the school year are working out. i saw that someone earlier in this thread had said that 38.5K was plenty, and someone else said their budget was 44K. what can i expect to need? i am single, no kids. it sounds like the apartments are expensive in pikeville. what's the deal with utilities? does PCSOM make your budget for 10 months or 12? do they consult with you as they create your budget (like, will they know if you have a car payment...)? i am kinda stressing about financing my education.

k

Kendall,

Don't stress out about financing school. You have already made it through the hardest part (getting in) for now. The 38,500 that everyone gets is enough to cover the expenses from school, you just have to budget. And no, the school doesn't consult with you on a budget that I know of (they never asked me). Also, I believe that the budget is for 10 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
kendall said:
hey all,

just wondering if someone could give me an idea about how their budgets for the school year are working out. i saw that someone earlier in this thread had said that 38.5K was plenty, and someone else said their budget was 44K. what can i expect to need? i am single, no kids. it sounds like the apartments are expensive in pikeville. what's the deal with utilities? does PCSOM make your budget for 10 months or 12? do they consult with you as they create your budget (like, will they know if you have a car payment...)? i am kinda stressing about financing my education.

k

Well, I am not the most knowledgeable about student loans, but I will tell you what I know. There is a Financial Aid forum in the General Discussion Forums on the main page, they might be able to give you some good tid-bits. The government is more than happy to give you 38.5k as long as you have not gone over the total a single person can borrow for education. This is not a problem for most people. If you already have a PhD or a few Masters Degrees it could be an issue. PCSOM takes their bite out of the 38.5k, leaving you with about 10k. For MOST people I know this has been enough money so far. Rent is about 450ish for a one bedroom in town. My other bills run about 100ish a month for phone, power, water, trash and very basic cable (only the local station and a few premium channels they are not smart enough to filter out). As far as a 44k budget goes, I think the school sets it at that number so you can borrow up to 44k (including the 38.5 from the government) a year if you need it.

E-

eadysx said:
Well, I am not the most knowledgeable about student loans, but I will tell you what I know. There is a Financial Aid forum in the General Discussion Forums on the main page, they might be able to give you some good tid-bits. The government is more than happy to give you 38.5k as long as you have not gone over the total a single person can borrow for education. This is not a problem for most people. If you already have a PhD or a few Masters Degrees it could be an issue. PCSOM takes their bite out of the 38.5k, leaving you with about 10k. For MOST people I know this has been enough money so far. Rent is about 450ish for a one bedroom in town. My other bills run about 100ish a month for phone, power, water, trash and very basic cable (only the local station and a few premium channels they are not smart enough to filter out). As far as a 44k budget goes, I think the school sets it at that number so you can borrow up to 44k (including the 38.5 from the government) a year if you need it.

E-

10K doesn't seem like enough to live on for a year; at the very least it would be extremely tight. does anyone know if PCSOM grants perkins loans. i believe that you can borrow aggregate of 40K through perkins. an extra 10K a year (even an extra 5K) would be very nice, i would think. also, does anyone know what kind of credit rating you need to get money through alt. loans. my credit is not great. prob around 640. i haven't found anything useful on the financial aid forum. any info would be useful. thanks.

where is aaron? i've barely heard from him since i was down for my interview.
second thought, never mind. i know you guys are crazy busy. merry christmas and happy new year.

ps. what's the word on UTenn for rotations?

k

kendall said:
10K doesn't seem like enough to live on for a year; at the very least it would be extremely tight. does anyone know if PCSOM grants perkins loans. i believe that you can borrow aggregate of 40K through perkins. an extra 10K a year (even an extra 5K) would be very nice, i would think. also, does anyone know what kind of credit rating you need to get money through alt. loans. my credit is not great. prob around 640. i haven't found anything useful on the financial aid forum. any info would be useful. thanks.

where is aaron? i've barely heard from him since i was down for my interview.
second thought, never mind. i know you guys are crazy busy. merry christmas and happy new year.

ps. what's the word on UTenn for rotations?

k

Kendall,

Sorry about the long absence. We had blocks two weeks ago and I left town after our last exam. You can borrow up to $38,500 in loans per year from the US government. Each year, $8,500 is the maximum you can borrow for subsidized loans (the government will pay the interest on) vs. up to $30,000 per year for Unsubsidized loans (you have to pay the interest on).

that would leave you with approximately 11,000 bucks to live on for 12 months. If you are frugal with your spending, you may be able to swing it, but I highly encourage you to seek another private loan. Rent in pikevegas is very expensive. You will be hard pressed to find a place under 450.00 per month. Water and sewage run me about 25.00 per month. I dont have tv, but dsl and phone is about 110.00 per month.

I went with ACCESS GROUP for a secondary loan. You can only borrow up to the amount that the school sets up as the budget per year. Our budget this year was $46,470. I borrowed the full $38,500 from the government, and then applied with ACCESS GROUP for the other $7,000. On January 1, you can start filing your FAFSA form online. Go to www.fafsa.org

You are required to complete this form for PCSOM. You will need your Drivers license, your 1040 (which you wont get for while) and banking and checking account info. We were given our first student loan dispersement around the second week of September, (at least most of us got them). You will start school the first or second week of August, so if you can save a little bit of cash, it might not be a bad idea.

If you need any more info, just let me know. Hope you have a good New Years'.

PS. I am considering going to UTENN for my rotations if the school permits me. It looks like a solid program.

ACE

UTENN for rotations? Where did that come from? Knoxville or Memphis? A friend of mine pretty much did his entire third and fourth year at UT Konxville and is currently an FP resident there. If they do set something like that up, I doubt the admin would send many students there since they really want us to train in rural areas. Probably would be a good hub site though and help recruitment in Tennessee for sure. So where did all of this come from?

Pikevillemedstudent said:
UTENN for rotations? Where did that come from? Knoxville or Memphis? A friend of mine pretty much did his entire third and fourth year at UT Konxville and is currently an FP resident there. If they do set something like that up, I doubt the admin would send many students there since they really want us to train in rural areas. Probably would be a good hub site though and help recruitment in Tennessee for sure. So where did all of this come from?

Sorry about that. I was getting AOPTIC confused with 3rd and 4th year rotations. When I went to the the two Hospital days, their recruiters made a comment that they had a couple of people there doing their rotations. I thought PCSOM was going to make Knoxville a hub site. I may have just confused what Dr. Murphy was trying to tell us.

On the other hand, why is Dayton a hub site for third and fourth year? That is not a rural site. I had made the comment once that I would like to stay in Pikeville for third and fourth year, but some of the current students told me that would probably not work out because the number of spots available and families get the first priority, which makes sense to me. I want to go where I get the most hands on experience. Luckily, I still have a year to think about it.

HAPPY NEW YEARS'!

ACE

Grandview may not be rural but it is an osteopathic hospital. I don't think anyone has ever wanted to stay in Pikeville and not been allowed so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

hey yall,

just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on getting started apartment hunting. i've heard that it can be a real b**** to find living quarters in Pikeville. any suggestions greatly appreciated.

kendall

ps. what childhood immunizations do i need proof of? just MMR? varicella?

one more thing:

what kind of health insurance do you guys have? did you go through SOMA?

thanks,

kendall

kendall said:
one more thing:

what kind of health insurance do you guys have? did you go through SOMA?

thanks,

kendall

Hunt for a place to live as soon as you can. I say, best to come down here and look around to see what meets your needs best. There are some good places in town that you can walk to class from, and some places that are back in the hills. I have SOMA insurance, it has worked fine so far. SOMA rates are hard to beat. I looked around a good bit before I started school. Good luck house hunting.

E-

Hey E,

after reading some of the posts by "kricket", i have the sneaky suspicion that he may be a current PCSOM student..... what are your thoughts?

I just replied to the thread to see if I could shed some light on the topic, I hope that it wont scare off applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aaron Earles said:
Hey E,

after reading some of the posts by "kricket", i have the sneaky suspicion that he may be a current PCSOM student..... what are your thoughts?

I just replied to the thread to see if I could shed some light on the topic, I hope that it wont scare off applicants.

Hate to say it, but I think you might be right. Tell you one thing, if they do go here and don't know that the school is PCSOM not PSCOM, well there must be a reason they are not passing. :laugh: It is a shame that some people expect to be handed an education, and when they find out they have low grades they blame anyone but themselves. Well, I am going to go study, which is what "kricket" should do!

E-

just curious to read these posts that you guys are talking about. always love a good read, and what others have to say.

as for apts/homes/condos/maytag boxes, you really need to get down here. if not possible, start by calling adams real estate, that is who i deal with, and who i anticipate on staying with for next year. another idea is to cold call some of the contacts mr earles has posted on his webpage for our class. i know of a place for rent, but its like 600 bux a month. now i know some of my fellow classmates can afford such tarriffs, i can not, thus why i am here in this refrigerator box, although a cozy one at that. good luck to all, and i am outta here!

gorgeous george

eadysx said:
Hate to say it, but I think you might be right. Tell you one thing, if they do go here and don't know that the school is PCSOM not PSCOM, well there must be a reason they are not passing. :laugh: It is a shame that some people expect to be handed an education, and when they find out they have low grades they blame anyone but themselves. Well, I am going to go study, which is what "kricket" should do!

E-
First of all, why the hell are you asses writing to eachother over this thing when you see eachother everyday? Now that that is out of the way. Who the **** is Kricket and where are their posts? Let me know.

Dcratamt,

Kricket's posts regarding our school can be found in the Pre-Osteo forum. You might have to do a search for PCSOMto find them as the thread has been closed for TOS violations (I think).

Willie B said:
Dcratamt,

Kricket's posts regarding our school can be found in the Pre-Osteo forum. You might have to do a search for PCSOMto find them as the thread has been closed for TOS violations (I think).
Thanks Willie B. I think i know who you are. Do you know me? See ya Mon

dcratamt said:

Hey Kricket,
If you read this i hope you are not totally discouraged and you are not as unhappy as your posts seem to reflect. It must be tough to be in your position but don't give up.

dcratamt said:

Yeah, I think I know who you are.

p.s. With as much as I try to stay under the radar, I don't think that it has worked now (I think everyone knows who I am now ;) )

Willie B said:
Yeah, I think I know who you are.

p.s. With as much as I try to stay under the radar, I don't think that it has worked now (I think everyone knows who I am now ;) )
Well i just noticed my location is a bit more specific than "middle of nowhere".

Damn it! Now you got me talking on this freakin thing. I dunno if i will watch game. I have much work to do. I laughed cause somewhere i saw a comparison of PCSOM to another school and the kid had listed as an advantage that we have block exams and so more free weekends. Hahaha
maybe i will stop down tonight if u are around.

dcratamt said:
Well i just noticed my location is a bit more specific than "middle of nowhere".

Actually, that location has been in there since I signed up on SDN over a year ago. But, come to think of it, it still holds true now :D

What did you guys think of the game? Eagles were better than i expected. Man i am beat. Biochemistry is crazy; cummulative final. Munns looks like a nice man but he is the devil!!! Hahahaha. See you guys tomorrow.

dcratamt said:
What did you guys think of the game? Eagles were better than i expected. Man i am beat. Biochemistry is crazy; cummulative final. Munns looks like a nice man but he is the devil!!! Hahahaha. See you guys tomorrow.

I have not looked at Biochem at all yet. And with the Neuro quiz in the morning, looks like I will put if off at least another night. Neuro is dull. Seems like this is crap that I could look up for the rest of my life, and never need to recall at the drop of a hat. Why on earth do we have 3 blocks of it?

E-

I dunno if Soneira is doing so good with Neuro. His notes seem kinda sparse and not as clear as anatomy.

hey yall. sorry to keep butting into your thread..... BUT

i can't seem to get ahold of any of the apartment managers down in pikeville except for ridge cliff. does anyone know if there is a better time of day to call Marvin Hensley. also, do any of you live at the anthony or autumn suites? pike villas? how much for a 1 bedroom at any/all of these places? thanks for the help.

k

curious to see if anyone had a chance to look at the medical interview section of sdn... find pcsom, click on latest testimony, and enjoy the read...

funny, but maybe another coincidence??... not sure... man i am bored!! enjoy the rest of blocks!!

"...You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia. Is this Russia? This isn't Russia..." -- Ty Webb, 1981 :sleep:

doc_holliday said:
curious to see if anyone had a chance to look at the medical interview section of sdn... find pcsom, click on latest testimony, and enjoy the read...

funny, but maybe another coincidence??... not sure... man i am bored!! enjoy the rest of blocks!!

"...You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia. Is this Russia? This isn't Russia..." -- Ty Webb, 1981 :sleep:

Think it's from Kricket (or another Kricket)? I have my reservations about certain aspects of school, but I've never seen Munns treat anybody like they're stupid idiots. Ironic that this attack on Munns was posted 3 days before the biochem final.

I don't know, maybe it is true. What do you guys think?

I'm avoiding neuro right now.

jawicobike said:
Think it's from Kricket (or another Kricket)? I have my reservations about certain aspects of school, but I've never seen Munns treat anybody like they're stupid idiots. Ironic that this attack on Munns was posted 3 days before the biochem final.

I don't know, maybe it is true. What do you guys think?

I'm avoiding neuro right now.

I dont think for a second that Dr. Munns would ever call another human being "stupid". I was at the last interview, I did leave early, but was there to talk to most of the candidates after their interviews... hey DOC.... did anyone seem "upset" to you at the interview?

Neuro is going to kick my butt in...... about 13 hours. I will be glad when this block is finished...... later

Let me start by saying i hope all of you made it safely through what i believe to be the worst blocks so far. Second does anyone ever wonder how many people will be left in this class by the end of the year and whether you will be here?

dcratamt said:
Let me start by saying i hope all of you made it safely through what i believe to be the worst blocks so far. Second does anyone ever wonder how many people will be left in this class by the end of the year and whether you will be here?

I wonder how many will still be here, but I feel sure I still will be. Those phys grades are crazy, they alone may take out 1/2 our class. I feel bad for anyone who has to take it again in the summer. Its not it will be any different 2nd time round.

E-

Hey Guys,
There is a post in Pre-osteo forum wants opinion of PCSOM; maybe you could reply. I told him the class was small but forgot to mention it seems to get smaller with every block.

Aaron Earles said:
I dont think for a second that Dr. Munns would ever call another human being "stupid". I was at the last interview, I did leave early, but was there to talk to most of the candidates after their interviews... hey DOC.... did anyone seem "upset" to you at the interview?

As for the comments, i am not positive if the person is in the class or from a prior interviewing session, nor am sure if people were upset during the interviews. But, I am sure there were a few that didn't get reaction they were looking for. Dr. Munn's I think is a great professor to talk to, in and out of class, topics of any nature. Believe it or not, I find him to be a political person, and I think he will say things that are in a sarcastic tone that relate to touchy subjects, but I am highly doubtful he would call anyone out to ridicule there academic and personal background. With that said, tuesday's meeting should be very interesting. I am not positive on why so many are not doing well. I feel bad for them, and wish i could help in any way. Just hope there is a solution ahead. I can go on, but feel you have the basic gist of whats happening. I am interested to hear what you guys think will happen, and am more inquisitive to hear from others who are on the balance beam, just to get ideas of whats going on (is it the profs, style of exams, studying habits, etc. etc.)... all in all, i am glad blocks are over, and am looking forward to this weekend. talk to ya guys soon...

...hope your new blocks are going well. Sorry to butt in as well, but I'm PCSOM 2009 and am also looking for housing. I have the number for Marvin Hensley...any other suggestions (feel free to pm me)?

Thanks in advance!

mark your calendar everyone...pikeville now has comedy central :D

Buster Douglas said:
mark your calendar everyone...pikeville now has comedy central :D

And the travel channel!!! ;)

richarDsOn said:
...hope your new blocks are going well. Sorry to butt in as well, but I'm PCSOM 2009 and am also looking for housing. I have the number for Marvin Hensley...any other suggestions (feel free to pm me)?

Thanks in advance!

I think that Angel forwarded an email that you sent to her about looking for housing. I rent from Marvin Hensley, if you want his number, i will PM you with it. Congratulations on getting accepted.

ACE

jawicobike said:
Maybe I'm a little close-minded, but I was embarrassed for the school.

Nah! Like everything, you just need to adjust your intellectual filter a little bit. That old guy has some pearls to share if you are willing to pay attention and glean them (he is right on target regarding carbonated colas, as an example).

Is it *all* about the alpha-beta-energies? Not likely.
Will I try to build the machine from his schematics? Well, no.

I'll probably resort to a *laser* of a specific wavelength to energize my water! The 'cool effect' is much more palatable by this newer hi-tech generation! ;)

Besides, for a $25 office visit, what exactly are you expecting, neurosurgery? :)

i just threw my toaster in the tub, thinking it would be a good way of stimulating cool H20, i realized its not... :idea:

phd2b said:
(he is right on target regarding carbonated colas, as an example).

Besides, for a $25 office visit, what exactly are you expecting, neurosurgery? :)

Yep, especially the part about the “Residual Cocaine”. For 25 bucks, I would expect more than water. I can get a gallon of that a Food City for 0.89 cents. :rolleyes:

E-

doc_holliday said:
i just threw my toaster in the tub, thinking it would be a good way of stimulating cool H20, i realized its not... :idea:

:laugh: Silly rabbitt, the second best way to charge the water is with you hands.

Yup, I thought about asking him if he knew that Coke stopped using actual cocaine residues in the 1930's! Then, I realized that he probably had not had a coke since 1935 and I shut up! :) He later admitted, however, that he adds the occasional Sprite to the potable energized waters to give it a little fizz... (hee, hee, hee...)

All said and done, he was the most entertaining CIM speaker I've seen all year.

I was afraid to tell him about the laser-treated water and makeup products that I was aware of...

http://www.gematria.com

http://www.lasergarden.com/index.htm

There is a market for EVERYTHING folks, so it shouldn't be hard to sell people on things that we KNOW works (OMT)...

Enjoy the sunny day...

eadysx said:
Yep, especially the part about the “Residual Cocaine”. For 25 bucks, I would expect more than water. I can get a gallon of that a Food City for 0.89 cents. :rolleyes:

E-