PCSOM Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Keith,

Sounds like a pretty cool procedure. When are you moving to Pikevegas?

ACE

Members don't see this ad.

I'm moving in sometime around the 10th-13th.

Well, today was the last day at my job. Damn! I didn't figure it would be so hard to leave that place. I've been at this hospital part time and full time for the last eight years. It was extremely tough to leave. This is probably the hardest thing I will have to go through in the transition to medical school. I made a lot of friends during my time there, and it really seemed like a big part of my family. One of the surgeons I worked with gave me a Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary. This will be a very useful tool during my first year of school.

Members don't see this ad :)
In response to several of the comments regarding me being unsupportive of PCSOM. . .you know not of what you speak. I started several of the opportunities that you now take advantage of and created several opportunities that you will participate in on your clinical rotations. I have fought for students' and alumni's rights over the years. Regardless of where you originate from (which by the way is Appalachia for me as well), the huge majority of students leave feeling that they paid to teach themselves. They feel that administration puts on a great show but could care less about changing the things that are wrong. "Just enough to get by" seems to be the theme of PCSOM. I hate to see the Class of 2008 enter with such high hopes of a well grounded institution with experiences to enhance their education. Considering what tuition has been raised to since I left, you had better get free books and a computer because they certainly aren't paying the faculty with your money. . .what faculty they have. Wait until you find out where all of your money goes!

Pikevegas here I come!!!!!!! :thumbup:

kydrtruth said:
In response to several of the comments regarding me being unsupportive of PCSOM. . .you know not of what you speak. I started several of the opportunities that you now take advantage of and created several opportunities that you will participate in on your clinical rotations. I have fought for students' and alumni's rights over the years. Regardless of where you originate from (which by the way is Appalachia for me as well), the huge majority of students leave feeling that they paid to teach themselves. They feel that administration puts on a great show but could care less about changing the things that are wrong. "Just enough to get by" seems to be the theme of PCSOM. I hate to see the Class of 2008 enter with such high hopes of a well grounded institution with experiences to enhance their education. Considering what tuition has been raised to since I left, you had better get free books and a computer because they certainly aren't paying the faculty with your money. . .what faculty they have. Wait until you find out where all of your money goes!

To the class of 2008ers, I understand the sentiments of kydrtruth and have experienced similar frustration. Rather than taking these negative comments personally, let me encourage you to use them so that you keep your eyes open to the way things are done there at PCSOM and be not fooled by the double-talk and senselessness that often comes from the administration. If someone had told me all the stuff I know now before I started, I would have been skeptical as well...and not wanting to jinx the start of my medical school career. The 2008ers (those who read the posts) have an advantage that we did not, which is the advice and suggestions of those who preceded us...before we even set foot on campus. :eek:

I only hope that the 2008 class has better luck dealing with some of this crap...no pun intended.

Hey all,

I wanted to let you know what the new price for medical students at the YMCA is. They are giving us the same discount as college students. The fee is $161.00 for the year.

That is as low as they are willing to go. Apparently they cannot give the discounts they did last year and in previous years due to serious financial troubles.

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know. You should definitely bring a towl with you to the Y. It is as hot as blue blazes in there the past two days.

See you all soon!

Aaron

Is the YMCA the only gym in pikeville? is it a nice set up? for instance do they have a pool and a nice workout facility?

Hey TOBEDO,

There is also a Curves for Women in Pikeville that a couple of other classmates have talked about joining. The YMCA has a lot of weight training equipment, a few treadmills, a few eliptical machines, two indoor basketball courts, two indoor raquetball courts and they are currently building a new room onto the front of the Y in which they will have a new exercise room and equipment. There is talk of putting a pool into the Y, but it is number 4 on their list right now. From what I gather, we will probably be ready to graduate when they decide to open the pool, but I dont know for sure.

There is a public pool somewhere here in Pikeville, but I am not sure of its location right off. The Y is ok, but the equipment is in need of repair and some of it really needs replaced. I joined because I like raquetball, basketball, and it was a pretty good deal for one year membership. If you have any other questions, I would be glad to help you out. Cant wait to meet you next weekend. See you soon.

Aaron

guys, if I were you, I would wait until school started before signing up with the Y. They tried to do this price hike with us last year and the SGA and Dr. Stro actually took control and told them to cut it out and they did. They made a deal with the Y guy; he got to come in and talk to us for Current Topics in Medicine???? Basically he said that the med students needed to volunteer a crap load of time to the Y because they are so nice to us. Guess what??? We totally staffed all of their large events all last year for free. So now they owe us. If they don't want to give us the regular PCSOM discount, boycot the place and they will loose over 100 memberships just out of the 1st and 2nd year class.

Wait till orientation and organize!!! Down with the Man! :mad:

Hey Everyone,

Are you all almost settled in? One week until the first day of orientation!

Danielle, Sam, and I went and talked with Angel, Deanne, and Teresa today. They were hard at work getting our stuff ready for the orientation week. I wanted to share this little bit of info with you all. She said that we should drive the first couple of days to school so we can transport the stuff we are getting to our apartments. She said that the second years were kind enough to volunteer and help us carry our books to our vehicles, since they are about 2.5 to 3 feet high! She said that we will drive our cars up by the school and the second years will help us pack our cars. That is nice of them.

Also, dont buy a medical dictionary. I think she said that they provided us with a Stedmans' Medical dictionary.

Well, I hope that everyone is having a relaxing weekend. Look forward to meeting you all in a week. Take care!

ACE

Hey Everyone!

I wanted to tell you all that if you have not heard anything from financial aid, or have not received a letter stating what amount of aid you are entitled to, you may want to contact Teresa and ask her if your FAFSA form is up to date and correct. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Just six more days gang, and we will be in class. For those of you whom are in town, Steve Anderson and I were thinking about getting a group together and going to the Breaks tomorrow afternoon for the evening. If anyone is interested, just let me know. See you all real soon!

ACE

Hey Misty,

I got your note monday. I did not know you and Steve were coming to town. I had stepped out for a few minutes to go grocery shopping. Had I known that you were coming, I would have waited around. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I hope all is well with everyone. See you all Monday.

Aaron :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Wanted to let you know that I am getting ready to put some pictures of some of the get togethers that we have been having on our webpage.

Well, we are down to three days before class starts. Hard to believe how fast this summer has went by. I am looking forward to meeting the rest of you on Monday. See you all real soon!

ACE

Hey everyone!

I thought it was getting pretty quiet around here lately. I live in the Autumn Suites, and I think it would be great if we could all get together to go to class on Monday. I know a lot of you already know your way around the school, and I don't have a clue about where we are supposed to go!

Hello everyone and welcome,
I am a 2nd year student at PCSOM and am excited to meet all of you. I hope that you have found everything you need and are getting settled in for the coming year. A little advice...have fun and make friends during orientation. Also, don't try to study with your best friend or both of you will hate each other by the end of Gross (trust me, I know from experience).
If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.
Make sure that you guys DRESS UP for the first day, otherwise Stro will call you out when you introduce yourselves.

Thanks cutes for the comments. They will be very helpful!

Hey Misty and Eric!

I will be heading over to the school on Monday around 7:20 to meet up with some other classmates. You both are welcome to come with me. I have met about 25 to 30 of our classmates and will be happy to introduce you to some of them. We will be meeting in the Chrisman Auditorium for orientation. If you walk across the walkway from the school (it goes over Kentucky Avenue) you will be on the same floor with the 1st classroom. YOu just go through the Armington front door and it is directly to the left. It will say Chrisman Auditorium over the door.

Misty, I should be back from church tomorrow around 2 or 3. If you see you in your apartment, I will come by and say howdy.

I am getting ready to go over to help Susan paint her apartment. I will check my messages when i return should any of you need any questions answered. I am looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow and Monday. Be careful and have a great day!

Aaron

Well everyone, tomorrow is the big day. I hope that everyone is as excited about meeting each other as I am. This has been a day that I have looked forward to since I began my medical school quest... the first day of medical school is here!

Hope that everyone made it into town without any problems. See you all in the morning!

ACE

Hey Guys,

Long time no see. Just sitting in here after the computer class this morning. Atleast I have internet access now I have internet access for awhile. I just found out that my phone and internet will not be hooked up in my apartment until about the 30th of this month :eek:. So, I won't be here very much until I get my internet hooked up.

What is it that isn't working very well on you computer? I think I got most of the stuff that they showed us this morning to work, except that I didn't try some of the things to create customs distribution lists.

Hey everyone,
I just wanted to see how your first day went. Sorry I didn't get to come to Chrisman last night, I was out of town buying a new vehicle 'cause I crashed mine a couple of weeks ago :( . How did it go last night? I will definitely be at El Azul Grande tonight because I am Pres of the Peds club and we are sponsoring. If anyone thinks they will be drinking and will need a DD, let me know, I will be glad to help. I hope to meet you all tonight.

cutes said:
Hey everyone,
I just wanted to see how your first day went. Sorry I didn't get to come to Chrisman last night, I was out of town buying a new vehicle 'cause I crashed mine a couple of weeks ago :( . How did it go last night? I will definitely be at El Azul Grande tonight because I am Pres of the Peds club and we are sponsoring. If anyone thinks they will be drinking and will need a DD, let me know, I will be glad to help. I hope to meet you all tonight.

Hey Cutes!

I thought the first day was cool. I really, really, really, really like my classmates. They are so much more than I would have ever hoped. The professors seem really cool too. The only negative thing was that it was a little warm in the Chrisman, but Dr. Stro said that we will be having class in the telemedia building while they are completing some construction. This I think would be pretty cool because I am close to the library anyway.

I will be at El Azule tonight. I would like to meet you in person. Sorry to hear about the accident you were in, I hope you are ok. I too, will be a DD tonight just in case.

I know it is only the first week, but I think that I will love it here. We got our books and table today. I have glanced at some of the books. The ethics book and anatomy books look like great resourses.

I know.

How about the surveys this morning????

tell me about it. Especially when it comes to Anatomy. So Aaron, are you ready to go back to dissecting your cadaver yet? Very interesting experience there, except that I think I'm still recovering from the stingging sesation in my eyes.

DoSouthPaw,

When you lived in the bypass apartments, was there an almost constant chirping sound? I think this sound is coming from the smoke detectors, and was just wondering if it happened while you where living there too. Also, if it did chirp like this, where you able to get rid of the chirping sound without turning off the smoke detectors?

Thanks

Willie B said:
tell me about it. Especially when it comes to Anatomy. So Aaron, are you ready to go back to dissecting your cadaver yet? Very interesting experience there, except that I think I'm still recovering from the stingging sesation in my eyes.

I am just glad that my asthma did not bother me. Gross is a very intersting course. Julia and Dr. Soneira are great!!!! I have to admit that I was a humbled by yesterdays experience. You can appreciate the body and all of its functions much, much more once you have started learning. It takes a very unselfish person to give such a valuable learning tool as their body.

I think that OPP will be much easier ( I hope this is not premature) since we are learning the origin, insertion, innervation, and function for anatomy lecture and lab. Dr. Stiles is wonderful. Dr. Callan and Dr. Littman were in OPP lab this morning assisting us with our screening techniques.

I LOVE PIKEVILLE.

LOL, yep you certainly have my old apt!!! I totally forgot about the chirping sound. I believe that it is the smoke detectors; I never figured it out. You might need to change the battery or something. It never really bothered me that much so I didn't worry about it.

As far as OPP being easy, it will be if you really push yourself in the class the first two blocks. If you learn the principles taught during the first two blocks you will be set for the rest of the year, rest of next year, and for boards. It is the foundation of what you do. Those people who don't learn the first two blocks' material really well, will strugle for the next two years and be stuck memorizing everything for the exam and then forgetting it all; not to mention they won't be able to manipulate worth a crap. lol Anyway, Diana should hook all of the UAAO members up with a study guide I did last year I think. If you learn that material, there is no excuse not to get a high A on the exam.

Later!

DOSouthpaw said:
LOL, yep you certainly have my old apt!!! I totally forgot about the chirping sound. I believe that it is the smoke detectors; I never figured it out. You might need to change the battery or something. It never really bothered me that much so I didn't worry about it.

As far as OPP being easy, it will be if you really push yourself in the class the first two blocks. If you learn the principles taught during the first two blocks you will be set for the rest of the year, rest of next year, and for boards. It is the foundation of what you do. Those people who don't learn the first two blocks' material really well, will strugle for the next two years and be stuck memorizing everything for the exam and then forgetting it all; not to mention they won't be able to manipulate worth a crap. lol Anyway, Diana should hook all of the UAAO members up with a study guide I did last year I think. If you learn that material, there is no excuse not to get a high A on the exam.

Later!

Thanks for the response Southpaw!

Lab was pretty interesting today. We were taught how to assess irregularities in posture. I thought Dr. Stiles initial lecture was very interesting and enlightening. He really is "the man".

I signed up for the UAAO last week, but have not paid the dues yet. They told us not to worry about them until we get financial aid. It will definitely be a huge plus to be a member.

Hope your third year is going well. Thanks for the advice on OPP, it is much appreciated!

ACE

Aaron,

I would have to agree with you on Dr. Stiles first lecture and lab on Wednesday. I am reallly looking forward to what we learn in OP & P this year. If fact, I think that some of the other osteopathic medical students are rather envious of this school, just because we do have such an awesome OP & P faculty.

P.S. Did you know that Dr. Stiles has been reading some of the posts on this message board?

Hey Willie,

I knew that some of the students at Pikeville read the posts on here. That is cool that he does read them though. I have enjoyed the first week. It has been a lot of info to swallow, but has been quite a pleasant surprise. I am just tickled to be here.

DOSouthPaw has been a big advocate for PCSOM. I have read a lot of his posts and he really loves it here. I am glad that he has shared his experiences with us. I am excited about OP & P. Just from the first lab, it is cool to start looking at the "small things" that we normally overlook.

Did Dr. Stiles tell you that he reads these posts? He should go into the Osteopathic Forum and read some of the posts that other schools have about OP and P.

Have a great weekend! See you all Monday!

Aaron

Aaron,

No, he didn't tell me directly. I was going up to speak to Dr. Betz and on the way down I overheard him mention that he had read on SDN about a member of our class wanting to know whether or not they should buy the new OMT book that is being produced by the school.

I think that I am going to buy that OMT book when the new edition comes out. I heard that the book was really good and quite helpful. Any tools that I could utilize I would be more than willing to get.

Our Biochemistry textbook looks pretty cool. Man, these CDs that come with our texts are really neat. The cd that comes with the Netter anatomy books is helpful and easy to use.

Did you get a letter today from the Kentucky Medical Assocation? I got one this morning with my membership number on it. It sounds pretty cool.

Talk with you soon Willie

ACE

No, I didn't get a letter yet. The mail seems to be rather slow though.

Aaron,

I did get a letter when I went home this weekend. I guess that they sent it to my permanent address instead of my school address. Also, it looks like I'm finally up and running at my apartment :clap: :clap: . I had the phone hooked up this afternoon when I got home from class. And the DSL modem came a few hours later. So, I'm moving like greased lightnin' whenever I surf the internet.

Hey everyone!

Well, our whitecoat ceremony is finally here! I am excited. My parents are looking forward to attending.

I am looking forward to the extra day this weekend. It will sure come in handy to catch up on a little shuteye! It has been tough trying to get the proper rest. Anyway, hope everyone is well. See you all in clinical skills!

Aaron

Aaron Earles said:
Hey everyone!

Well, our whitecoat ceremony is finally here! I am excited. My parents are looking forward to attending.

I am looking forward to the extra day this weekend. It will sure come in handy to catch up on a little shuteye! It has been tough trying to get the proper rest. Anyway, hope everyone is well. See you all in clinical skills!

Aaron

ACE-

What on earth are you doing up before 7:30am on a day we don't have class till 1pm??? :eek: I was :sleep: at that hour. :)

E-

Yeah,

I was :sleep: at that hour too. I guess that you just don't want to fall back into any of those "bad habits", eh?

eadysx said:
ACE-

What on earth are you doing up before 7:30am on a day we don't have class till 1pm??? :eek: I was :sleep: at that hour. :)

E-

What's Up E!

hahaha... I could not sleep that well. I usually get up that early before school started anyway. I am pathetic!

See you all the whitecoat

ACE

Aaron Earles said:
What's Up E!

hahaha... I could not sleep that well. I usually get up that early before school started anyway. I am pathetic!

See you all the whitecoat

ACE

Well you lazy bum you certainly don't have to be up early to lift weights cause you haven't been to the gym since Mon. Don't try to BS me cause i am your lifting partner. Yo if you want to go to the gym Sun around 3 then get a hold of me. Maybe we will study together anyway.
Coop

dcratamt said:
Well you lazy bum you certainly don't have to be up early to lift weights cause you haven't been to the gym since Mon. Don't try to BS me cause i am your lifting partner. Yo if you want to go to the gym Sun around 3 then get a hold of me. Maybe we will study together anyway.
Coop

Hey......we were at the gym Tuesday too..... or was that Wednesday...... too hard to tell.... oh well.....

I should be back from Charleston by 3 or 4. If I am here in time I will give you a call Coop.

Later slumlord!

ACE

Alright guys,

We only have about a week until the first block exams. Who is ready for them??? Certainly not me. I feel like I could use about another month to get ready for Anatomy.

Amen to that brother!

Anatomy has so much detail involved. The lecture stuff is deep. I like the class though, and feel like I have learned quite a bit.

Yeah,

I can definetly say that I'm getting my money's worth in anatomy.

So ACE,

How is the studying going?? I started going back over the back muscles again this evening and needless to say, I've only made about 1/2 the way through that set of lectures.

What's up Willie!

I have been going over clinical skills and some gross anatomy. That is some tough stuff in anatomy. I went over a couple of packets yesterday. It seems to be sticking in my brain a little. I am worried about the lab exam. I am going to go over after church this am and take a another look at some of the the structures.

Hope you studying will go smoothly. See you tomorrow WIllie.

ACE

ACE,

Honestly, I think that the hardest part of Anatomy that we have done was the first packet. There is just so much information in that one packet. It has taken me over two hours just to get through it :scared: .

Hope everything is going smoothly with your studying too