PCSOM Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aaron Earles

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was wanting to meet some of my fellow classmates for PCSOM. Good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! Look forward to meeting you next year.

Hey Aaron!

I will be at PCSOM with you next year! Congratulations to you too! I can't wait to meet all of our future classmates! Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just found out today I've been accepted to the class of 2008!

jrmason_21,

I wanted to congratulate you on your acceptance to PCSOM!! I know how excited you are to get the wonderful news. I found out in December. I really liked the school when I visited it for my interview. I am very happy for you. Good work. Feel free PM me at any time. I would like to get in touch with my classmates in an attempt to get to know everyone.

Talk with you soon!

Aaron

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I found out that I've been accepted to PCSOM for the class of 2008 today. PikeVegas here I come :clap: :clap: :clap:

Aaron,

Thanks. I'm still coming down from getting accepted. I don't think everything has sunk in yet.

I know what you mean. I was stunned when Dr. Strosnider called me. It has not sunk in yet for me either. Now I just have to find a place to live and a way to pay for it. hahaa.. Anyway, keep in touch. Talk with you soon.

Aaron

Aaron,

I know about the phone call. I had to look at the caller id to make sure that I had heard right. We shouldn't have any problems being able to pay for it though. Tuition is only about 26000 and they will let you borrow about 38500 from Stafford. Just out of curiosity, how long after you received "the call" did it take for the letter to reach you? We live about the same area so I figure that it should take my letter about as long:) .

Willie B

p.s. Do you think that we should move this into the Osteopathic forum?

Members don't see this ad :)
Willie B,

I interviewed on December 6, got my call from Dr. Strosnider on December 10, and received my letter in the mail on December 12. That is pretty funny about how you screened your call. I was in such shock, I started to doubt myself and wondered if he told me that I was not accepted. ha ha ha

Where do you live? I am in Huntington, WV. I dont see a problem paying for it either. I dont know that I will be eligible for the entire 38,500 in federal subsidized and unsubsidized stafford loans. I made a buget for myself based on what I thought it would cost to attend meds school per year with other expenses such as apartment, utilities, etc. My figure was around 45,000. That seems kinda low to me. The apartments that I have looked at in Pikeville are quite expensive.

We probably should move this to the Osteopathic forum. I will have to contact the mods and see if they could do that for me. BTW, where are you thinking about living in Pikevegas? My first choice as of right now is probably Ridge Cliff apartments. But, I have not looked at the Anthony yet. Anyhow, keep in touch. Talk with you soon.

Aaron

Aaron,

For some reason Dr. Strosnider didn't call me at home:confused: . He called me on my cell phone and left a message on my voicemail. I don't know where I will be living at right now. Also, I live just outside of Ashland, KY.

Willie B

Yeah, he called me on my cell phone as well. I was at work. I like the Ashland area, will be going through the area in a few mintues acutually on my way to Columbus. Talk with you a little later.

Aaron

Hey everyone!

I'm so glad to see that Aaron and I finally have some classmates! I can't wait to meet you all. Congratulations on being accepted! I know what you mean about not believing you have been accepted. Sometimes I still can't believe it! We're finally going to be docs! I hope that we can all keep in touch before school starts. It would be great to get to know each other ahead of time. Congrats again!

Hey guys! I also found out this past Monday that I got in to PCSOM! I am soo excited, I think I am really gonna enjoy it.

First.... Welcome and Congratulations lolablue:clap: :clap: :clap: .

I can't wait to meet all of you guys. Mistyblue, I think that is a good idea. I think that it will just make orientation that much easier and fun. The only problem is that we may be sitting right next to each other at orientation and not even realize it:wow: . I say orientation, because I'm sure that we will get to know each other very well in the upcoming years:laugh:.

I also think that once we get to orientation, we need to let some of our fellow classmates know about this website. It truly is a good way to find out information about the medical profession.

Willie B

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Congratulations lolablue!!! It is good to meet you. I am excited about PCSOM. The closer to August it gets, the more excited I get. I cant wait to meet you all.

Have you guys already received your financial aid packets from Teresa Jones yet. If not, you should be getting them very, very soon.

Have you guys decided what company you are going to get loans from? Such as Nowloans, Northstar, Accessgroup? I am having some trouble deciding on how much to ask for. I would much rather get too much and give it back than to not get enough.

Mistyblue.... I miss you...your classes must have you very busy. I cant wait to hear from you again. Everyone, take care and talk with you soon.

Financial aid packets???? I'm still waiting on my letter confirming my acceptance. The mail is probably just being slow though since I just go accepted on Monday.

Willie B,

Don't worry about the financial aid stuff yet. I just got my about 10 days ago. It took them a little more than a month to send me that package once I was accepted. I would imagine that you will get it within the next week or so.

Are you still on cloud nine?! I am really happy for you. Med school will be a rewarding experience. Talk to you later.

Aaron

Congrats to all of you. I look forward to meeting everyone in the upcoming years. Now, that you are in just sitback, relax, and enjoy life, because the next years won't be that way. If you have any questions feel free to ask...I'll try to help you out.

Acutally, I'm about cloud five right now;). Although, I have gotten up a few mornings this week and wondered whether it has been a dream or not. This usually goes away when I walk into the living room and see the balloons that the people I work with got me. I've also began to trying to find a few of my friends that have graduated med school and started residency (just to get the opinion/advice on the next four years). Unfortunately, they went to U of L and not Pikeville. Their experience won't be quite the same as our will be though. Good news is that I've found one of them that is a resident at one of our clinical sites:). So he should be able to tell me some info on that site. That is if I can get him on the phone/ internet.

Willie B

Had to bump us up. We were getting near the bottom of the page.

yeah don't worry Willie B - I haven't gotten my financial aid packet yet either! I am on cloud 9! I had gotten in the habit of saying "...if I get in then blah blah..." and now I catch myself and I think gosh I am really going to med school! I can't wait to meet you guys ...hossofadoc I think you know me ;) (hint I am a bio major at uk!)

Lolablue,

Don't worry about not receiving the financial aid packet yet. Mine was mailed during the third week of January, and Teresa Jones told us that she would not even have the packets ready until January. You should get yours very soon. I am glad that you are still on cloud nine! Cant wait to meet you and the rest of our classmates. Talk to you later.

Aaron

Aaron,

Saturday was horrible. The electricity/ heat went out in my house and I about froze my a** off. Sunday was better though. I'm on vacation from work for this entire week, so it shoudln't be that bad:D . I finally got my FAFSA and Tax returns done today. So, I should be finding out how much I'm going in debt next year;) .

I also can't wait to meet all of you. Only 6.5 months left until school start.

Willie B

Willie B,

Glad that you got your tax returns completed. I am still waiting to get my completed. I am almost finished with my FAFSA forms. Since you live in Ashland, you and I should meet up sometime to become aquainted. Htown is only about 35 minutes away, maybe I could come to Ashland sometime and we can meet. Maybe I can get Misty to meet up with us too. I am not sure where the other guys are located, but it would be kinda neat. Talk with you soon.

Aaron

Aaron,

That sounds like a good idea. I have to warn that I work full time at the hospital. So it might make things a little difficult. (They don't let us out very much:D )

Willie B

Hey guys!

Sorry I haven't been able to talk with you lately Aaron, but my classes have been keeping me very busy. I'm also trying to get my FAFSA and the other forms PCSOM sent us completed as soon as possible. I think the idea of us all getting together to meet sometime before school starts would be great if we can all work out a time for us to get together. I can't wait to meet all of you!

Hey Misty, I know that you are busy with classes. I hope that all is well. I have some info about some of the apartments in Pikevegas. If you are interested in what I have, you are more than welcome to it.

Willie B, I work at Cabell Huntington Hospital, but I am not full time currently. If you would decide that you would like to meet, we will do it according to your schedule, since I am flexible.

Just let me know what you would like to do and what time would be best for both of you. See you both soon.

Aaron

Aaron,

We can probably work something out. I think that Misty wants to come too, but I can't comment on her schedule. I generally have atleast one weekday off from work, along with every other weekend. By the way, what shift do you work. I work second shift, so that usually interferes with alot of things that people want to do:( .

Willie B

Willie B,

I work the day shift, but I dont work every day and often have at least two days off a week. I am flexible, so whatever is best for you. I am usually off on Tuesdays and Thursdays, along with every weekend. Misty has class on Tues and Thurs but I dont know her time schedule. She would also like to attend. If I needed to, i could probably take off any other day. I will work around your schedules. Looking forward to meeting you.

Oh, I wouldnt be able to meet on Saturday, March 6. My little bro is getting married on that day, other than that, I am free!

See you soon,

Aaron

Hey guys and gals, just a little welcome from the Undergraduate American Academy of Osteopathy here at PCSOM. It's our job to make sure your PCSOM OPP experience is the best it can be given the lack of faculty at the school (although you can't get any better than Dr. Stiles).

If you have any questions or need a good 'ol Osteopathic adjustment, just let me know!

later!

It sounds like the weekend would be the best time for us to meet. How is the apartment search coming? I haven't really started looking yet. Just kind of browsed the internet to find out anything.

Willie B

I believe my old apt is still available. Contact Allen Justice at Justice Supply (it's a hardware store in the phonebook) and ask about a 2 bedroom at the bypass apartments. Tell him Scott the medstudent sent ya!

It was a pretty nice place; large and reasonable (400/month). It's one mile from the school and sits right on the edge of town. The neighbors aren't that bad although there is a 17 year old girl next door who has some fun when her dad is gone, but she's not that loud. No one ever bothered me there though, so that a good thing. If you have anymore questions, just ask!

DOSouthPaw,

I was wondering, do all the students at PCSOM automatically become a member of UAAO or is it the students choice. Sounds like a pretty cool organization. Any info that you would have, I would love to hear it, tht is if you are not too busy with classes. Talk with you soon.

Aaron

Willie B,

The apartment search has been so so. I have information for about 3 or 4 apartment complexes in Pikeville. DOSouthPaw gave me another contact to try out. If I were to get an apartment today, I would probably go with Ridge Cliff apartments. They are kinda pricey, but they look pretty nice. I would like to live in the same area as other students so we could be available for each other if necessary. Anyhow, I am thinking about going to Pikeville again this Saturday to look around some more.

Whenever you would like to meet up just let me know. I will see if Misty would be able to meet as well. Take care Willie B.

Aaron

The UAAO is the undergraduate component of the American Academy of Osteopathy (www.academyofosteopathy.org). The chapter at PCSOM is voluntary and costs 40 dollars to join. That covers you for 4 years or 5 years if you elect to take an undergraduate fellowship between your 2nd and 3rd year in osteopathic medschool. Our chapter has a website at www.uaao.net but soemtimes it is quirky for off campus users. The PCIT dept. can't figure out why so we are in the process of moving it to an off campus server so everyone can enjoy it! If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask! Take it easy y'all.

Aaron,

Good luck this Saturday with the apartment search. I hope you find what ya lookin' for. I know I should really start looking but I'm still waiting on the budget info from the school, so I know what price range to look for. Oh, I also received the receipt for my deposit yesterday. Guess PCSOM actually got my check:D .

Willie B

To Current PCSOM Students,

I was going over the financial aid package that Teresa Jones sent us to complete. I have a question. I know that tuition is about $26,000 per year. I also know that the max amount of money that you can get from the government per year is 38,500. My question is how much should we borrow from private loan companies, or how much money do you need per year at Pikeville? If any of you could give me a rough amount, I would really appreciate it. Feel free to PM me if you would prefer that.

Aaron

Originally posted by Aaron Earles
I also know that the max amount of money that you can get from the government per year is 38,500. My question is how much should we borrow from private loan companies, or how much money do you need per year at Pikeville?
If you're not married and without children, $38,500 should be more than enough.

Some people don't know what to do with the extra cash... Walmart or the movies? :D

But, really it's up to the individual (i.e. car payments, insurance, blah blah blah...). I suggest writing up a budget.

I thought that the school gave you a budget that you were expected to follow, within reason of course??? And you are not supposed to exceed this amount. Do they not do this??

Hey Buster,

I completed a budget about two weeks ago on what I thought it would cost me per year at Pikeville. The figure that I came up with was 44,000. I figured in utilities, transportation, insurance payments, etc. I just wanted to make sure that this amount would be enough. What do you guys think?

Oh, this amount was figured by having to pay 610.00 per month rent at Ridge Cliff Apartments. I am going to Pikeville today though to search for more apartment complexes.

Thank you so much for all of your help.

Aaron

To Current PCSOM Students:

I recently received the list of forms that have to be filled out before we can matriculate and the letter said that they all must be received by July 31. My problem is that I have a class that I have to take and it won't be finished until July 30. So, my question is how flexible is the school when it comes to this requirement???

Also,
Aaron, did you trip produce any new results?

You'll be fine. Just get everything else in (especially your Shots, TB stuff, etc!) Then give Angel a call and tell her your situation and everything will be cool. Just don't be like people in my class who didn't have their Hep B done (by the second year!!!) and then have to flunk their clinical rotations until they made them up later in the year.:rolleyes:

Hey Willie,

I didnt get to go to Pikeville yesterday. My mother asked me to paint her living room for her and it was snowing, so I will probably go next weekend. I do have some info about some of the apartments in Pikeville. If you would like, I could email you what I have. See you soon.

Aaron