Oklahoma - (Prospective) Class of 2010 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amxcvbcv said:
I almost got sick driving there for my first day. Leon starts nice and slow. By lunch you'll be thinking, "Hey, this isn't so bad." But... when you come back for anatomy after lunch it's on. Chung is full throttle, and you'll be left with your head spinning. ;)

You know, that was so my first day that I couldn't have put it better. By lunch, it was no big deal. By the end of the day, I was crying and saying I'd never go back. No worries though-- I went back, and so will you ;)

Also, Dr. Chung doesn't really practice his mad martial arts skillz on the students who miss pimping questions in lab. That's just a rumor. In reality, he just stares at you with the most intense glare you'll ever feel, and tells you that you shouldn't leave lab until you know all the structures. Boy, I'm glad that's gonna be you and not me ;)

P.S. I was sick the day of disorientation, so I don't know if you know this already, but be prepared-- you WILL be pimped in lab. Probably not tomorrow, but in general it's not a good idea to skimp on lab prep. Your labmates and the professors will notice.

Members don't see this ad.

RachelD said:
Is there a microwave in the lounge is the BSEB?

There were two, last time I saw.

There's even a vending machine with ice cream, if you desire a cold treat. :p

I'm off to bed now... See you folks in the morning. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Non-TradTulsa said:
Is everybody wearing shorts and flip-flops to class Monday morning? I'm kinda burned out on dress clothes for a while.

i dont know. all the talk about professionalism during orientation had a profound impact on me. i think i am going to got to class in slacks and a tie for the first few weeks just to make on good impression on the professors and deans. :rolleyes:

also $5 says someone actually wears a tie to class tomorrow. who is going to take the action?

How was the first day?

Don't forget... you're living your dream, not to mentioned the dream of hundreds of folks that didn't make it.

I think I remember something about pre-med being one of the most popular undregraduate "majors" for incoming freshman, but very few actually make it to where you are right now.

It sounds corny, but it'll get you through the long dark teatime of the med student's soul, which seems to come about 3:00 on Sunday afternoon before test block. ;)

I think that I should be voted the official slacker of the class of 2010. Folks, if you vote for me I promise not to let you down. Just to prove how much I deserve this award I missed the first class on the first day of medical school. That's right, I slept in. And then, I was late for the next class and sat in the floor behind the back row, half paying attention. From what I understand I didn't miss anything anyway.

I did however manage to study the anatomy material for this week from Chung's BRS before today and found that I already knew everything he covered in lecture. Too bad I'll miss out on points if I don't go. Random question: if I can't make it to anatomy lecture until the last 15-20 minutes can I still pick up my remote control and get points at the end?

Smitty3L said:
That's right, I slept in. And then, I was late for the next class and sat in the floor behind the back row, half paying attention.
That was you? haha
I saw ya sitting back there..I was on the back row a few feet from ya.

I use two alarms...just to try not to aversleep.

Johnny :)

Smitty3L said:
-20 minutes can I still pick up my remote control and get points at the end?

From what I remember, no. They have trays full of remotes out in the lobby before class, and you pick them up on the way in. Then a few minutes after class starts, the trays disappear, and if yours is on it (i.e. you're late), you don't get a remote, thus you don't get the points.

Class of 2009, do I remember correctly?

JohnnyOU said:
That was you? haha
I saw ya sitting back there..I was on the back row a few feet from ya.

I use two alarms...just to try not to aversleep.

Johnny :)
I feel for ya, Smitty. I thought I was going to be the only person in medical school who was NOT a morning person. I haven't made it to the office before 9:15am in years (my boss finally gave up mentioning it on my annual review after about three years).

I use a deaf person's alarm clock for school. It's on a dresser on the other side of the room from my med, so I can't shut it off without getting out of bed. It also controls the lamps over my bed - it blinks them on and off while it's buzzing louder than an explosion.

Of course, with blinking lights and klaxon horns I never know if it's just time to get up or the start of a nuclear war, but I've noticed that I've been on time during orientation and I made it to Anatomy at 8:02. Not bad for me.

oudoc08 said:
From what I remember, no. They have trays full of remotes out in the lobby before class, and you pick them up on the way in. Then a few minutes after class starts, the trays disappear, and if yours is on it (i.e. you're late), you don't get a remote, thus you don't get the points.

Class of 2009, do I remember correctly?

Sounds right

So disbursement day came and went with zero money for me. My GradPlus loans can't be disbursed until October (don't know why because some schools have already disbursed them), and my scholarship/grant will apparently show up when it shows up. The women at the bursar's office said it could be January -- they really have no clue. Since my staffords don't cover the full oos tuition + fees, I get no money for my living expenses until one of those sources of money shows up. I figured institutional scholarship shouldn't really create any trouble with financial aid, but I guess I was wrong. :rolleyes:

I'm getting the feeling that OU's financial aid office is sort of a one-trick pony in that they can get you your staffords, which appears to cover almost all the needs of instate students, but you'll get the run-around for anything else. I couldn't even get my $500 because the financial aid system wasn't working right.

Not really what I need to be worrying about right now, but it would be nice to be able to pay off my credit card bills that are loaded with books, moving expenses, etc. I don't know where I'd be without plastic or my meager savings.

Members don't see this ad :)
exlawgrrl said:
So disbursement day came and went with zero money for me. My GradPlus loans can't be disbursed until October (don't know why because some schools have already disbursed them), and my scholarship/grant will apparently show up when it shows up. The women at the bursar's office said it could be January -- they really have no clue. Since my staffords don't cover the full oos tuition + fees, I get no money for my living expenses until one of those sources of money shows up. I figured institutional scholarship shouldn't really create any trouble with financial aid, but I guess I was wrong. :rolleyes:

I'm getting the feeling that OU's financial aid office is sort of a one-trick pony in that they can get you your staffords, which appears to cover almost all the needs of instate students, but you'll get the run-around for anything else. I couldn't even get my $500 because the financial aid system wasn't working right.

Not really what I need to be worrying about right now, but it would be nice to be able to pay off my credit card bills that are loaded with books, moving expenses, etc. I don't know where I'd be without plastic or my meager savings.

I feel your pain - my disbursement came in about 3k lower than it was supposed to be. Now, to their credit, they admitted that they just screwed it up and she said it should be taken care of within the week. Still, it would be awfully nice to only have to worry about Staffords... +pity+

exlawgrrl said:

I'm really sorry, that would definitely suck :( I've never had any trouble with them, but I use private alternative loans instead of gradplus. I hope it gets all worked out soon!!!

I managed to create my own financial aid nightmare.

The last two semesters I had the financial aid direct deposit straight to our savings account. Well, in February we switched from Midfirst's savings to ING direct, but I didn't remember to update the direct deposit information with the Bursar's office until yesterday at 4:00. I called them frantically hoping I could switch the account numbers on file, but she said that even though disbursement was technically today, all of the information has been processed for a while. She said the latest I could have changed that was actually back on August 1st (!!!). Now I have to wait for the electronic transfer to bounceback from Midfirst to the Bursar's office, so they can issue me a paper check, which she said can be anywhere from one to two weeks. Add that to the fact that my wife's first paycheck for teaching won't come in until August 31st, and it's going to be a sucky two weeks. I hope I don't atrophy due to lack of nutrition (yes, I did just make an IHI joke. I am a dork.) :p

Anyway... While my situation is definitely not the same, I understand how you feel. +pity+

So sorry about the gradplus issue, but here's an idea... If you submit a cost of living increase form for something (like home/auto repairs or some other "emergency") and get it in private loans-as opposed to the gradplus option- you should have money in days... This does mean borrowing additional money, but you gotta eat and buy syllabi (although reading syllabi IS more imp't right now).

By the way I enjoyed noting WhoisJohnGalt as a member of my class at OU. Go Rearden Steel! I wonder how many of our classmates have caught the reference?!? If you google it after you read this, we will know...

Thanks for the sympathy. I knew about the gradplus thing a while ago, but I assumed the scholarship/grant money would come with the regular disbursement since it was granted to me through the school. At UT, all I had to do was send in a copy of a thank you letter sent to whatever foundation funded the scholarship, and I'd get my money in a day or so.

If I don't get any news about the scholarship, I guess I'll see if they can convert my gradplus loans to private loans.

Random question -- am I the only person who liked HB on Tuesday? Everyone in my mod was b&tching about it, but I thought it was pretty interesting. I will admit in advance that I like psych.

exlawgrrl said:
Random question -- am I the only person who liked HB on Tuesday? Everyone in my mod was b&tching about it, but I thought it was pretty interesting. I will admit in advance that I like psych.

I LOVED HB, but most of the people in my class hated it. *shrugs* Maybe we're going to be psychiatrists ;)

exlawgrrl said:
No, I liked HB a lot - you're not alone. Interesting, and Dr. Smith is a talented lecturer. Biochemistry is very interesting to me and, although Leon's lectures are full, he's really not going that fast (yet!). But, am I the only person who feels like I'm totally drowning in Anatomy? I've got my text in front of me, Netter's, and several other Anatomy books that I've picked-up along the way and it's just not all coming together for me. Any thoughts I had of playing this weekend (or going to Tulsa) are gone. I'm going to spend the weekend trying to distinguish my elbow from the proverbial hole in the ground. Sigh... I'm not giving-up yet by a long shot - I've been doing fix-ups around the house this week rather than major league study - but Anatomy is scary.

On a happier note, the cost of living increase that I've been so worried about for my unusual living situation of commuting to Tulsa to take care of my Mom has finally been settled. Lord only knows when they'll fund everything (from what I'm hearing), but at least it's approved. I shouldn't be happy about getting permission to go further into debt - but my mortgage company is not especially interested in my new status as a medical student, and the whole thing has been a major stressor the last couple of weeks.

Anybody else get the e-mail about a toga party? <sigh> My theory for any trend that's being revived is - if I'm old enough to remember it the first time it came around, I'm too old to do it the second time. Although a nice white sheet can cover a whole lot of figure flaws...

I don't want to be a harbinger of doom, but it's good that you're worried about anatomy. It only gets more complicated as the weeks go on.

You guys have the nervous system lecture on Friday, right? And after that you cover the posterior cervical triangle?

Stay on top of it. It is daunting, but it is doable.

Two words, though:

Brachial Plexus.

It will haunt your dreams. It will also seem like everyone else is learning it faster than you, but it's all a front. Everyone is confused. ;)

Good luck!

Non-TradTulsa said:
Anybody else get the e-mail about a toga party? <sigh> My theory for any trend that's being revived is - if I'm old enough to remember it the first time it came around, I'm too old to do it the second time. Although a nice white sheet can cover a whole lot of figure flaws...

the toga never went away, it has always exsited in the dank basements of fraternties everywhere since the 60s.

this sums up my thoughts on hb. i sent an email to a third year friend

subj: bullet in my head

body:
hb make me want to put a bullet in my head. please tell me it gets better.

her response:
no, but go to leture anyway, its better than staying up all night the night before the test to cram.

About funding, I've gotten the impression that OU sort of relies on students taking out all sorts of private loans before they disburse other sources of funding. For example, my scholarship/grant will not be paid or applied to my account until at least mid-September. When I asked the financial aid office what people did in that situation, they told me lots of people take out alternative loans. So, you take out loans with probably unfavorable interest rates to cover your a&& until OU decides to pay up on money they promised you. They get to accrue interest -- you get to accrue more debt. OU has the dubious distinction of turning the granting of a scholarship into a negative experience. :rolleyes:

Since I'm so p&ssed off right now, I'm actually thinking about writing a letter to Boren. That $500 in emergency loans doesn't exactly cut it -- did I mention that it was a hassle to even get that?

So, GLP, what did you hate about HB? I guess I'm oblivious to what there is to hate.

editing to add that my venting has made me feel a little better. Honestly, though, I need more things in my life to go smoothly right now. In the past month, I've had one whopping thing go according to plan, while I've had about 15 things be goofed up -- and, no, my plans were not unreasonable (unless you count expecting shipments to arrive, brand new appliances to work, professional installers to know what they're doing, etc. as unreasonable expectations). Believe me, it can make you a little tense.

Mr. Freeze, I owe ya big time. I haven't been letting the dog stay outside during the day yet - wasn't sure she was ready for that. I don't know if someone came pounding on the door or what - but Jesse went completely nuts today and tore her crate to shreds - broke one canine and cracked another tooth. I got home and she was soaking wet with sweat, there were metal bars she had torn out of the crate all over the place, and blood. I called Dr. Summers in a panic - managed to get over to Midwest City before closing time - Dr. Summers is great - she had a wonderful way with my poor upset dog - got her calmned down, got her some pain shots - she was just fantastic. She's going to anesthetize Jess in the morning and try to sand and seal her broken tooth. I left Jess at the vet hospital because I couldn't drop her off and make it to Biochem on time in the morning.

Geez, I thought I was doing the right thing - I didn't think the dog was ready to stay outside yet - but, she's a rescued abused animal, and every once in a while she does some really strange things. I should have bought a stronger crate when I knew she'd tried to escape once before during a thunderstorm. I feel like a heel tonight - and I don't need the excitement keeping me away from the Anatomy books.

But I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't known a good vet to call. Thanks, buddy.

Okay, so I'm in the group that really likes HB. I think that the subjects covered so far are interesting and I don't think that it is going to add anything significant to our workload. Just going to lecture and then reviewing, syllabus/notegroups a day or two before the exam should be all that is needed. I am of course your resident bleeding heart liberal (and official slacker) of the class 2010 so all that taking into account of people's feelings and situations really makes sense to me.

So as the official slacker of OU-COM class of 2010 I would like to keep you posted on my various underachievements so that you all can feel lots better about how you are doing.

I'm in the Thur. PCM group, so today (I suppose yesterday since it is now 2:00 am) we met with our doc and interviewed each other. We're an odd numbered group and I ended up having to interview our preceptor. We were told to just find out about the other person and then present that information to the rest of the group. Well after we finished, he kept referring to the reading that we did before class and asking if everyone employed these techniques, and everyone in my group seemed to have done so. That is of course except for me that was like, what reading? There's a book? There's a syllabus? So obviously all of my questions were closed ended and who knows what else I was supposed to do.

Smitty3L said:
So as the official slacker of OU-COM class of 2010 I would like to keep you posted on my various underachievements so that you all can feel lots better about how you are doing.

I'm in the Thur. PCM group, so today (I suppose yesterday since it is now 2:00 am) we met with our doc and interviewed each other. We're an odd numbered group and I ended up having to interview our preceptor. We were told to just find out about the other person and then present that information to the rest of the group. Well after we finished, he kept referring to the reading that we did before class and asking if everyone employed these techniques, and everyone in my group seemed to have done so. That is of course except for me that was like, what reading? There's a book? There's a syllabus? So obviously all of my questions were closed ended and who knows what else I was supposed to do.

Okay, so I am not a gunner, but I was the only person in my pcm section yesterday who read or even knew there were readings online. So, no, you're not alone. :)

Nontrad, de nada...she is awesome anyway, but she has a soft spot for shepherds. She said she ran into one of my classmates, which I thought meant class of 199ish, because that happens all the time since I went to high school right down the road. It took me a second to realize she meant 2010. I guess I've been looking at it all more like a job I go to where I have to learn a bunch of stuff. I know how it is, my hound is like my kid. At least until my wife pops anyway. Then she'll kinda be in a different place in the chain, but we've discussed that already. If you need anything else give me a shout...

exlaw, it's always somethin', isn't it? I just got my AC fan motor fixed y-day, so the past few days really sucked at home.

smitty, does that make exlaw our non-resident bleeding heart liberal?

Our PCM wasn't bad; she just said go interview each other, then we basically discussed how we could've gotten more info, i.e. closed/open, or made the session less choppy.

Don't forget to come to the library today for the alumni picnic...

Mr. Freeze said:
exlaw, it's always somethin', isn't it? I just got my AC fan motor fixed y-day, so the past few days really sucked at home.

I'm sure my stress level is nowhere near yours. Our place is screwed up (there's seriously a mushroom growing out of a corner of our bedroom where there's a leak), but it's not my problem. :) So maybe the moral of the story is to move and get totally, totally established in your new home six months before school starts.

So why can't class start at 10 every day?

Hey, I'm pretty conservative and I find HB quite interesting (guess that makes me a compassionate conservative ;)). Medicine is a field for people that have hearts, despite what their political philosophy is.

Several of the things in the last lecture did turn my BS detector on. Like when he said bicycle injuries accounted for the most accidental deaths of a certain age group (forgot which). I looked this up and for age groups 5-9 and 10-14 motor vehicle accidents account for the most, then pedestrian injury, drowning, fire, and then bicycles. Of course this was off the cuff, but I'm always a little wary of statistics.

Woohoo, free stethoscopes :).

exlawgrrl said:
So, GLP, what did you hate about HB? I guess I'm oblivious to what there is to hate.

it just seems to be lots of words and little information. most of it could be summed up as use common sense and dont be an a$$.

glp said:
it just seems to be lots of words and little information. most of it could be summed up as use common sense and dont be an a$$.

Yeah, true. I've got to admit I sort of like the break from getting lots of information. For example, anatomy lecture today -- way too much information. ;)

exlawgrrl said:
Yeah, true. I've got to admit I sort of like the break from getting lots of information. For example, anatomy lecture today -- way too much information. ;)

Glad to hear everyone's enjoyed the first week. Anatomy keeps on the same pace for the rest of the semester. Biochem, you get a nice ramp up for the first couple weeks from Leon (gout if I remember correctly), then it really takes off. The rest is a bunch of fill-in.

Okay, so I feel compelled to take my complaints about how scholarships are disbursed (not to mention the fact that financial aid doesn't seem to have a clue about college of medicine scholarships, which leads to lots of stress) higher. If I were to write a letter, should I do to Dr. Hall, Dean Andrews or Pres. Boren? Dr. Hall signed my letters promising me the money, so it might be sort of a point of personal honor for her (I would hope so anyway). I've essentially gotten the blow off from Jim Albertson coupled with a sorry and some very basic information about financial aid, which I know since I've lived off of financial aid for three full years in law school. Boren seems sort of nice because there's some satisfaction in taking stuff all the way to the top. I don't know about Dean Andrews, but if he's helpful and student-friendly, it might be worth a try.

I know it seems whiny, but the school has given me all of $500 to live on until mid September or later. Also, the bursar's office told me that I will indeed be charged late fees for the remaining money that I owe on tuition and fees if the scholarship money comes in after late fees are assessed, which is a strong possibility. I can ask her personally to waive them, and she said she would, but I'll still have to put up with all those lovely late notices acting like I'm a deadbeat, which is just plain cr@ppy.

exlawgrrl said:
Okay, so I feel compelled to take my complaints about how scholarships are disbursed (not to mention the fact that financial aid doesn't seem to have a clue about college of medicine scholarships, which leads to lots of stress) higher. If I were to write a letter, should I do to Dr. Hall, Dean Andrews or Pres. Boren? Dr. Hall signed my letters promising me the money, so it might be sort of a point of personal honor for her (I would hope so anyway). I've essentially gotten the blow off from Jim Albertson coupled with a sorry and some very basic information about financial aid, which I know since I've lived off of financial aid for three full years in law school. Boren seems sort of nice because there's some satisfaction in taking stuff all the way to the top. I don't know about Dean Andrews, but if he's helpful and student-friendly, it might be worth a try.

I know it seems whiny, but the school has given me all of $500 to live on until mid September or later. Also, the bursar's office told me that I will indeed be charged late fees for the remaining money that I owe on tuition and fees if the scholarship money comes in after late fees are assessed, which is a strong possibility. I can ask her personally to waive them, and she said she would, but I'll still have to put up with all those lovely late notices acting like I'm a deadbeat, which is just plain cr@ppy.

you should definitely try to meet with hall or schmidt, probably hall to voice your concerns. i know you're mad but i think it would be a big faux pas to complain to anyone above her level before going to her first. have you not gotten your staffords either?

glp said:
you should definitely try to meet with hall or schmidt, probably hall to voice your concerns. i know you're mad but i think it would be a big faux pas to complain to anyone above her level before going to her first. have you not gotten your staffords either?

The staffords are all I've gotten, but they don't even cover my full tuition/fees. OOS tuition fees are $40,500/year while the staffords are $38,500/year. Of course, the school promptly applied all that to my fee bill, leaving me with no refund.

So Dean Schmidt? I shall talk to him then. I understand that I'm just going to be screwed this year, but I really think they could apply institutional scholarships in a more student-friendly way. Also, it appears that there needs to be more coordination between the college of medicine and financial aid -- financial aid has informed me that the school doesn't tell them until the last minute (like August) who has been awarded scholarship and grants and for how much.

Ah, life in a bureaucracy. :rolleyes:

If you took out the full stafford amount, which I suppose being OOS you'd certainly do, AND you got/get scholarships above the amount of OOS tuition/fees (38.5K+scholarships - 40.5K for OOS) you should get the rest. It seems fairly simple to me. Surely they didn't just give you enough of a scholarship to make your total award of stafford + scholarship = OOS tuition and fees, without living expenses...

I'd start with Dr. Hall. I can't see you needing to go any higher than her, but I may be wrong...

Oh my God! Did anyone look at the information for the posteria cervical triangle? Wow!! I couldn't hardly see what they were pointing at on those videos. I hope that this dissection isn't too bad. I am a really aggressive cutter for the incisions. I hope I don't destroy the nerves we are supposed to look at.

DivaDoc12 said:
Oh my God! Did anyone look at the information for the posteria cervical triangle? Wow!! I couldn't hardly see what they were pointing at on those videos. I hope that this dissection isn't too bad. I am a really aggressive cutter for the incisions. I hope I don't destroy the nerves we are supposed to look at.

This is a very challenging and delicate dissection. Word to the wise: use your scalpel to get through the skin, then put it away/hide it. On this dissection in particular, you must use probe, tweezer, and fingers, or you will destroy things. It's not the worst, but it's definitely up there. ;)

Good luck!

Mr. Freeze said:
If you took out the full stafford amount, which I suppose being OOS you'd certainly do, AND you got/get scholarships above the amount of OOS tuition/fees (38.5K+scholarships - 40.5K for OOS) you should get the rest. It seems fairly simple to me. Surely they didn't just give you enough of a scholarship to make your total award of stafford + scholarship = OOS tuition and fees, without living expenses...

I'd start with Dr. Hall. I can't see you needing to go any higher than her, but I may be wrong...

Well, my total award amount is the full staffords, the scholarship/grant and gradplus loans, totaling way too much money. :) However, the only thing that's come in and that is scheduled to come in before September is the staffords. The GradPlus loans won't be disbursed until October since they're a new type of loan -- it's irritating, but I had been forwarned.

What I had not expected was that the intituitionally granted money (scholarship/grant) would not be applied to be my account until OUHSC specifically received the money. Apparently, the money is sitting somewhere in Norman, and someone will cut a check to OUHSC later in the semester after add/drop. That money will not be applied to my account until this happens -- the earliest it will happen is mid-September, but it's not a guarantee. Since my staffords did not cover my full tuition/fee bill, I won't get any money deposited into my bank account, until this money comes in (unless it takes forever, and my GradPlus stuff shows up earlier). Finding out the status or getting specifics about when the money will arrive is like pulling teeth, and it's almost like no one in financial aid or the bursar's office gets why I'm concerned. Also, apparently, there's pretty much no cooperation between financial aid and the medical school, which has made this all much harder -- for example, financial aid had not been officially notified that I was going to receive this money until maybe early August. I had notified them, but the school hadn't.

So, my total awarded amount is right -- actually getting the money is what's wrong.

Sounds like the OU bureaucracy to me. :) I love my school, but when I have to visit five places on campus to get something done it gets a little irritating (that was back in the undergrad days).

PS. That dissection (posterior cervical triangle) was not the most fun I've had in my life.

The posterior cervical triangle was not that bad for our group. Of course, when Dr. Chung comes by and does it for you, it's pretty stinking easy. :p

want2beadoc said:
Sounds like the OU bureaucracy to me. :) I love my school, but when I have to visit five places on campus to get something done it gets a little irritating (that was back in the undergrad days).

PS. That dissection (posterior cervical triangle) was not the most fun I've had in my life.

Yeah, it was hell. It was almost worse than OU bureaucracy. :)

How was the mini everyone? From the talk I heard afterward it sounds like a lot of people did really well.

How was the mini everyone? From the talk I heard afterward it sounds like a lot of people did really well.

I didn't do as well as I'd hoped. Gonna have to revamp my study technique.

Starting on that biochem/gen studying now.

blah :thumbdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.