Oklahoma - (Prospective) Class of 2010 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I don't like the thorax. Just had to share.

Speaking of prospective students, they're going to start interviewing in September this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Down with the thorax, long live the brachial plexus...

Viva la plexus!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, It's been a while so I thought I would post. I agree it's time to start the 2011 thread, especially since interviews start on the 28th of this month. Things are going ok for me. Minis were ok for biochem (84) but sucked ass for anatomy (67- ouch!- and I studied). So it looks like I have lots of work to do. I don't really know a good way to study anatomy and I hate lab. I could cut on live people all day long but being down with the dead one sucks. I'm sure I would learn more if I was not so disturbed by the whole thing.
My advice for any pre-meds is to take anatomy!! The people who have already had it are doing better.
Anyway, I'm in a wedding this weekend so I won't have much time to study. I better prepare myself to hit it hard next week.
I hope things are going well for everyone else. I wish some of the 2nd years would show me some love and pass me some study aids/advice (hint, hint) my mentor has a brother in our class (my mod, to be specific) and I think he gets most of her stuff/advice.
Anyway, see ya!
P.S.
I was looking at the 2nd years schedule and it looks like they are in class a lot more than us. I don't think they get out till 5:30 and it does not look like they have the "pre-exam block" study week. I guess I should stop whining and be happy!

Have you thought about memorizing Chung's? :D :D

That's what I heard anyway...

Well, It's been a while so I thought I would post. I agree it's time to start the 2011 thread, especially since interviews start on the 28th of this month. Things are going ok for me. Minis were ok for biochem (84) but sucked ass for anatomy (67- ouch!- and I studied). So it looks like I have lots of work to do. I don't really know a good way to study anatomy and I hate lab. I could cut on live people all day long but being down with the dead one sucks. I'm sure I would learn more if I was not so disturbed by the whole thing.
My advice for any pre-meds is to take anatomy!! The people who have already had it are doing better.
Anyway, I'm in a wedding this weekend so I won't have much time to study. I better prepare myself to hit it hard next week.
I hope things are going well for everyone else. I wish some of the 2nd years would show me some love and pass me some study aids/advice (hint, hint) my mentor has a brother in our class (my mod, to be specific) and I think he gets most of her stuff/advice.
Anyway, see ya!
P.S.
I was looking at the 2nd years schedule and it looks like they are in class a lot more than us. I don't think they get out till 5:30 and it does not look like they have the "pre-exam block" study week. I guess I should stop whining and be happy!

Welll..... not that whining is good.... but we're actually not in class nearly as much as you are. Most of that afternoon stuff is fake... you know how PCM shows up on Tues and Thurs on your schedule even though you only have it one day? Well, out of all that afternoon stuff (GYN lab, AHC, etc), we only have to do each of them once. So maybe one out of 20 of those do we actually have to show up for. They just have to leave the time available so they can divide us up into groups of 3 or 4, and we obviously can't have class during anyone's time to do those labs so we just have afternoons free most of the time. It's actually pretty sweet :D

The truth about anatomy is that there really aren't any good study aids other than Chung's, Netter's, Rohen's, and the online videos. Honestly, I don't know anyone that did well using anything else. Memorize Chung's. For real. Every word. I promise you that this is the secret of everyone who's doing well in anatomy. I know that's hard, and I know you're looking for the magic bullet, but there just isn't one. Read it over and over and over, quiz yourself by covering up half a sentence and seeing if you can fill in the rest, whatever you have to do. The questions WILL come out of that book. For the practical, make sure you go to your mod reviews, put in whatever time you can outside of lab time (with someone who knows their way around a cadaver), and WATCH THE VIDEOS over and over. I failed every practical until I learned that trick. It's less smelly than actually being in lab, and (for me) it was even more effective. You don't have to waste time looking for things, because Chung just pulls them out in his effortless Chuck Norris like fashion and tells you what they are.

In the end, believe it or not, a 67 on the anatomy mini is far from the end of the world. Look at it this way, you were only 3 points away from passing :) You've got plenty of time to pull out a B or even an A, and those of us that got a C are still gonna be doctors too ;) Good luck!!!

Test Block 7 is practically here, baby! Yeah! Can you feel it?!

I think I've spent significantly less time in class as a second year than I did as a first. It sucks that Dr. Holliman is out sick, but being able to do his lectures anytime/anywhere is awesome.

Good luck you guys. :) You'll make it. Don't worry too much about the minis. There are still a ton of points on the table. I went from an 84.6 before the anatomy final to an A... by 3 total points, I think. ;)

I'm not a second year and don't think I have any great magical tips for anatomy -- it does seem to be true that you have to memorize every single thing in Chung's BRS. What I can say is that I seem to retain stuff more when I focus on answering the questions and working backwards. Also, I use Moore to supplement Chung, but I'm a reader who learns more from sentences and paragraphs than from a landry list of facts. My mentor is an anatomy TA, and she said she used Moore's book, too, so I guess it works for some of us.

I've decided that I'm going to rely on the videos and Rohen's to study for the practical. I hate standing around a cadaver with like 8 other people trying to see some small structure. Even when Chung comes over to our cadaver in lab and demonstrates stuff, I can only see about half of what's he's pointing out. Lab feels like such a huge waste of time for me.

Congratulations to Mr. Freeze on his brand new baby !
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Congrats to Mr. Freeze and family! New baby - that's too cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mr. Freeze - welcome to the uber exclusive club of medical students with kiddos. Congratulations!

I'm not. It's more of a paralyzing dread than a frantic panic. I feel like I should order a last meal tonight or something. But the fact that I could try again next year brings a zen-like calm over me.

ooohhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Remember that when you're nervous or anxious you have trouble memorizing stuff. I think I remember that from one of those times I went to HB.

I was feeling pretty good, and then I started in on Hanas stuff for biochem....I feel pretty hopeless.

Remember that when you're nervous or anxious you have trouble memorizing stuff. I think I remember that from one of those times I went to HB.

:D Me too, like the FIRST time...

Smitty don't forget the Hanas review on the 2010 page. Hippocrates>MSI>2010 website>resources

Although now that someone actually posted it on Hippocrates, you can be sure not one question off it will be on TBI, as was the case with the 2009 patented Go With Leon's "All the Above" rule on the mini...9 outta 10...pfft :D

I was feeling pretty good, and then I started in on Hanas stuff for biochem....I feel pretty hopeless.

Do you have the list of 12 things you need to know for Hanas? I think someone posted it on Hippocrates, but if you have trouble finding it, let me know. That's what I'm focusing on because otherwise it would be overwhelming. Also, the good news is that Hanas only has 12 questions on the whole exam.

If only Dr. B. taught all of the rest of biochem.

:D Me too, like the FIRST time...

Smitty don't forget the Hanas review on the 2010 page. Hippocrates>MSI>2010 website>resources

Although now that someone actually posted it on Hippocrates, you can be sure not one question off it will be on TBI, as was the case with the 2009 patented Go With Leon's "All the Above" rule on the mini...9 outta 10...pfft :D

Yeah, when they posted that on Hippocrates, my thought was d@mn, Leon will see this and change his questions. I think "all of the above" was usually the correct answer, but there were a few times where he tried to trick us.

Hopefully Hanas doesn't read Hippocrates. :)

I have the Hanas list, I thought I would try to at least go through all of his material once before focusing on the list, but at this point I'm thinking f* it, just memorize what's on the list. Man, it's like a weight is lifted.

I :love: Dr. B!!!

Attachments

• sanjay.jpg
    sanjay.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 147
So how's it going, MSI's? Panicking yet? ;)

now i understand why admission committees are so concerned with making sure we are all very very committed to becoming physicians.

You guys are all gonna do great. Leon's VERY fair about reviewing questions; he's not out to tricksy you. Good luck, and make sure to get some sleep! If you start the week out sleep-deprived, you'll be hurting by Friday.

EDIT: Remember this; if you have a list of things that you need to know, it's probably pretty reasonable that at least 10/12 of those questions will be on it, right? So you have to ask yourself if 2 questions is worth the extra hour/2 hours/more of studying that particular section. To some it is, to some it isn't. I'm a high-yield studyer, and say what you will about my not being on the path to AOA, but I only did first year once! ;)

You guys are all gonna do great. Leon's VERY fair about reviewing questions; he's not out to tricksy you. Good luck, and make sure to get some sleep! If you start the week out sleep-deprived, you'll be hurting by Friday.

he tricked me on the mini

long paragraph about using heavy nitrogen to diagnose overproducers.
Q. Which will be present in the urine of an underexcreter of uric acid
A. N9
B. N7
C. N3
D. None of the above.

i marked N7. i mean i should have read the questions more closely, but come on. it was also funny that the first question in which "all of the above" was a choice was not in fact "all of the above."

EDIT: Remember this; if you have a list of things that you need to know, it's probably pretty reasonable that at least 10/12 of those questions will be on it, right? So you have to ask yourself if 2 questions is worth the extra hour/2 hours/more of studying that particular section. To some it is, to some it isn't. I'm a high-yield studyer, and say what you will about my not being on the path to AOA, but I only did first year once! ;)

Hey, not repeating the first year is all I want out of life right now, and getting more spare time and more sleep in exchange for non-AOA grades sound like a good tradeoff to me. :)

So I'm planning on going to sleep in about an hour (you know, I'm old and all), and I won't feel guilty.

I wouldn't discount AOA before even your first test block. ;) Wait until Friday to do that.

But just to give you some perspective on our class... the 4.0s for our first year went well into the second quartile. Ugh...

And no... I wasn't one of them. I did have good grades, though.

Good luck with TB1!

he tricked me on the mini

long paragraph about using heavy nitrogen to diagnose overproducers.
Q. Which will be present in the urine of an underexcreter of uric acid
A. N9
B. N7
C. N3
D. None of the above.

i marked N7. i mean i should have read the questions more closely, but come on. it was also funny that the first question in which "all of the above" was a choice was not in fact "all of the above."

LOL!! I missed that one too (along with a LARGE portion of our class). He's USUALLY not out to trick you, how's that? ;)

Ok, so I got a 70 on the biochem exam. :( I now have a 74.5 average for the first 40% of the class. this means that I need at least an average of 68 in the rest of the class to pass. I'm freeking out about this. How much harder (do grades go down) does it get? Did Leon give any points back last year on block 1? How did your grades turn out (2nd years) compared to your grade at this point? Am I justified in freeking out or do I need to take a chill pill and study embryo?
Is it a big deal if you get a C in biochem and anatomy:thumbdown:
What have I gotten myself into!

Ok, so I got a 70 on the biochem exam. :( I now have a 74.5 average for the first 40% of the class. this means that I need at least an average of 68 in the rest of the class to pass. I'm freeking out about this. How much harder (do grades go down) does it get? Did Leon give any points back last year on block 1? How did your grades turn out (2nd years) compared to your grade at this point? Am I justified in freeking out or do I need to take a chill pill and study embryo?

A C ??? Yea it's a big deal to me...it means I'm passing! :)

I got a 79 on the wume and a 76 on the one today... so I'm very happy and hope I can pass my other classes...GA is a b*tch for me...and I haven't even studied at all for HB.

I don't know how these people make A's in everything...they are flat out smarter than me. I can live with that as long as I pass everything. :thumbup:

I think you can freak out, but you'll still have to study embryo :D

It's up for version A on Hippocrates. With version B, I guess you have to go to school to check it out.

I'm thinking they will throw out a few questions because some of the stuff left me going WTF.

Okay, I guess it's embryo time.

I'm pretty sure there was only one version. Otherwise the question he went over at the beginning would have been a different number.

I'm pretty sure there was only one version. Otherwise the question he went over at the beginning would have been a different number.

I think that's right - if I remember correctly, last year Leon would have a form A and a form B that were completely identical. I always thought that was pretty funny, but then, he's a pretty funny guy. ;)

Deep breath. First, you can freak out if you need to, but keep it short and sweet, because now you need to focus on Embryo. Many people that have a tendency to freak out over their grades just choose not to grade their exams until they're all over. I know that's hard to do, but if you're concerned that you're too hung up on biochem to worry about embryo, it may be something for you to think about.

Second, let's put this in perspective. I think roughly 8 people end up having to repeat first year every year. Most of them would very gladly take your C's. You will be able to get a C. Maybe even a B, if you really bust your tail. As far as I recall, class averages tended to go down overall after the first exam, BUT, for those students that didn't do as well on WUME/Exam I, they actually tend to go up because those students make biochem a priority.

It is NOT a big deal if you get a C in this class. I just can't imagine the residency program that would be looking at your app and saying "My god, she'll never be able to be a dermatologist/radiologist/plastic surgeon because she got a C in biochem!". Everyone knows it is one of the least practically applicable classes in med school. Sucking at it doesn't mean you suck as a doctor.

My grades this test block were substantially better than they were first test block. I had a much better idea of what had to be done. Granted, Holliman still handed my butt to me, but in everything else I had a much better understanding of what worked for me, and I was able to get it done.

Unfortunately, TB1 is a much better "practice" than the WUMEs-- it's just very different when you only have one test to worry about that week than when you have them all at once. Some of us are a little slow, and take most of first year to get it together :) In my case, I did get a C in gross anatomy and biochem (and I was grateful for both). But I'm still going to be a doctor, and so are you. And neither of us are doomed to family practice ;) Remember that your first year counts for the least of all of your years of med school. The important thing is that you pass all your classes. If you do better than that, that's fantastic, and you're putting yourself in a great position for some of the ultracompetitive residencies. But by and large, you're going to be just fine as long as you pass.

If you can do better, by all means, you should!! But if you did your best and your best is a C, don't beat yourself up about it. What's really going to matter in the long run are your board scores and your 3rd year clerkships. Hang in there, and go study embryo!!

Ok, I have a question. What would be a better use of my study time for embryo? Read the book or go through the syllabus and listen to lectures?

Deep breath. First, you can freak out if you need to, but keep it short and sweet, because now you need to focus on Embryo. Many people that have a tendency to freak out over their grades just choose not to grade their exams until they're all over. I know that's hard to do, but if you're concerned that you're too hung up on biochem to worry about embryo, it may be something for you to think about.

Second, let's put this in perspective. I think roughly 8 people end up having to repeat first year every year. Most of them would very gladly take your C's. You will be able to get a C. Maybe even a B, if you really bust your tail. As far as I recall, class averages tended to go down overall after the first exam, BUT, for those students that didn't do as well on WUME/Exam I, they actually tend to go up because those students make biochem a priority.

It is NOT a big deal if you get a C in this class. I just can't imagine the residency program that would be looking at your app and saying "My god, she'll never be able to be a dermatologist/radiologist/plastic surgeon because she got a C in biochem!". Everyone knows it is one of the least practically applicable classes in med school. Sucking at it doesn't mean you suck as a doctor.

My grades this test block were substantially better than they were first test block. I had a much better idea of what had to be done. Granted, Holliman still handed my butt to me, but in everything else I had a much better understanding of what worked for me, and I was able to get it done.

Unfortunately, TB1 is a much better "practice" than the WUMEs-- it's just very different when you only have one test to worry about that week than when you have them all at once. Some of us are a little slow, and take most of first year to get it together :) In my case, I did get a C in gross anatomy and biochem (and I was grateful for both). But I'm still going to be a doctor, and so are you. And neither of us are doomed to family practice ;) Remember that your first year counts for the least of all of your years of med school. The important thing is that you pass all your classes. If you do better than that, that's fantastic, and you're putting yourself in a great position for some of the ultracompetitive residencies. But by and large, you're going to be just fine as long as you pass.

If you can do better, by all means, you should!! But if you did your best and your best is a C, don't beat yourself up about it. What's really going to matter in the long run are your board scores and your 3rd year clerkships. Hang in there, and go study embryo!!

Thanks, you are a great help! Between you and my 7 year old I've calmed down a bit. I told my son that my grade and he said "are you out?" and I said what do you mean and he said "did you plunk out" (he thought flunk out was plunk out). and I said no. And he said "see mom, you could have flunked out.":oops:

For embryo, I'm going through all of the test bank questions and then I'm going to watch the review video again taking notes on anything I'm still not sure about. Should we worry about the book?

I don't know, I think I'm going to do what you are doing... unless someone here tells me different. You have a very wise kid :). Good luck on embryo!

Thanks, you are a great help! Between you and my 7 year old I've calmed down a bit. I told my son that my grade and he said "are you out?" and I said what do you mean and he said "did you plunk out" (he thought flunk out was plunk out). and I said no. And he said "see mom, you could have flunked out.":oops:

For embryo, I'm going through all of the test bank questions and then I'm going to watch the review video again taking notes on anything I'm still not sure about. Should we worry about the book?

I've heard conflicting reports over the use of the book. I imagine it is another one of those time spent vs. return situations. "The Guide" recommended going through the test bank though. I'm definitely doing that, and going back through the syllabus; I doubt I'll spend too much time in the textbook.

And GET OUT!?!? You have a 7 year old?!?!?

I sort of use the embryo book to supplement things in the syllabus that leave me scratching my head. It has a lot of extraneous information, though, so it's not necessarily the most time efficient way to go through things. From what I understand, there shouldn't be any questions on tomorrow's exam that aren't in the syllabus or lectures. However, the syllabus is pretty meaty, so it's not exactly a small feat to memorize it. :eek:

So I've pretty much taken the afternoon off. I think I might be a bit screwed. :scared: I also feel like a dumba&& because I didn't get that Leon used the same copy for both tests.

I've heard conflicting reports over the use of the book. I imagine it is another one of those time spent vs. return situations. "The Guide" recommended going through the test bank though. I'm definitely doing that, and going back through the syllabus; I doubt I'll spend too much time in the textbook.

And GET OUT!?!? You have a 7 year old?!?!?

I have a 5 year old, 6 year old and 7 year old, all boys :D

Ok. Now you're just playing. :D I'M old enough to have a kid that age, but you don't look like it!

You moms, and I know there a quite a few, deserve medals for doing all this. But I have a soft spot; my mom had to take me to vet school with her because there was no paying for daycare. And I'm old enough there was no "Wow, you're a woman, welcome. Lemme get your door..." It was more like guys leaving aprons in her locker and professors telling her to stay in the kitchen.

You guys rock.

my score on hanas's material would be awesome if it were a batting average. i hope leon gives us some points back.

I've been doing the embryo question bank.
God I'm in trouble. If his questions are like that I am gonna flunk this exam.

*edit*
WTF is a Pharyngeal pouch? lol don't answer.

Definitely do the question bank stuff. For Tomasek's stuff I think I relied more on the syllabus, but we only had him for part of the time. When we got into more of the organogenesis stuff I used the text more.

Anyway... I felt like Embryo was about the easiest class/tests. ;)

Good luck, again!

Status
Not open for further replies.