Oklahoma - (Prospective) Class of 2010 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my feelings are mixed. I scored what I had initially hoped to make, but I didn't make an A, which I really started to think was possible. I missed that by one stupid question, and what really sucks is that I answered that question correctly initially. So, I'm being stupid because I really don't feel a strong need to make an A in anatomy (considering how much I enjoy it and all :) ), but I'm sort of p&ssed at myself anyway. The good news is that I think I'm over my anatomy phobia and have realized that it is indeed doable.

I'm not studying tonight, but tomorrow will be the day of biochem. I don't know whether to be scared or not. I think I've got the Dr. B stuff under control, but I really don't know what to think about Leon's material.

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh... Not looking forward to tuesday. I'm ready for Dr. B's stuff I think, but I have no idea how to start on Leon's stuff. I think I will read Lippincott's chapter over and start from there.

I did alright on the anatomy test, I passed. I didn't know what to expect and should have taken the MS2's advice and studied exclusively from Chung's BRS (I studied too much from Netter's). I know better now and should be able to blow the block exam out of the water. Now for the practical...

Ugh... Not looking forward to tuesday. I'm ready for Dr. B's stuff I think, but I have no idea how to start on Leon's stuff. I think I will read Lippincott's chapter over and start from there.

Exactly. I feel a bit worried when all the second years and older talk about how much easier Leon's stuff is compared with the stuff that comes later in the class. I can see where it's not rocket science, but yeah, I don't know exactly where to start, either.

So my next anatomy fear is the practical. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Leon's questions are easier than everyone else's, but I remember being exactly in your shoes wondering how the heck to study his stuff, since it seems so random. Know the purine metabolism pathways and the major diseases (Lesch-Nyhans, Gout, SCID) and what deficiencies that result. Also the porphyrias (are those on TB1?)
For Bidichandani, I remember needing to know about Prader-Willi and Angelman, Fragile X, and such.
Let's see if I remember this , it's Prader-Willi which has a paternal deletion and Angelmann's which has a maternal deletion, both of chromosome 15. Is that right?

Other than that, I don't remember a whole lot. Fortunately (for now), Leon and Dr. B's material is probably the easiest (as are their test ?'s) of the semester. It gets worse both in terms of material amount, material difficulty and lecturer difficulty. If it's any consolation, the gout, salvage pathways, purine, pyrimidine, etc. pathways are tough and if you can wrap your brain around those, you'll be able to do the metabolism stuff for the rest of the semester. If you had biochem in undergrad, it will pay off in the 2nd test block when you tackle carb, lipid and protein metabolism.

So biochem ramps up pretty good after 1st block and Anatomy just drudges along at the same pace for the rest of the semester.

Good luck!

The questions on WUME that I distinctly remember biting me were questions about how to treat gout. Know the few drugs Leon talked about and what you would give someone if they were just managing chronic vs. dealing with an acute attack.

Also, I'm pretty sure this was stressed in the Unofficial Guide, but just in case... On Leon's questions he very often gives you the choice of "All of the above." Unless you are absolutely sure it is one of the other choices, pick all of the above!

On his questions where all of the above is a choice, 9 times out of 10 I think it was the correct answer. Seriously.

He's not trying to trick you - just make your first exam experience less painful.

And one more thing. When it gets closer to TB1, go to the biochem department and review the WUME. Leon lets you check out the test in the biochem office and review the questions. You're not allowed to take any writing utensil or paper in with you, but it's still worth it. Some of his and Dr. B's questions will make an encore performance on TB1.

Good luck! :)

Edit: Hey! Post 500. :p

Cool, thanks for the tips, guy! I feel a little better. I'm going to have to get more efficieint at studying when biochem ramps up because I've been focusing almost solely on gross, along with most of my classmates.

Of course, I'll also need to study for embryology and human behavior in there somewhere, but I keep on forgetting I'm taking those classes. :)

Not sure how much I should say about WUME considering not everyone has taken it yet, but I will say I wish I had checked out this thread before I took it! It wasn't bad, but I missed out on a section of questions. Dr. B's questions were really fair. Overall, I performed much better on this than the anatomy mini.

Of course, I'll also need to study for embryology and human behavior in there somewhere, but I keep on forgetting I'm taking those classes. :)

I have done NOTHING for either of those classes! I don't even go to lecture, it's like they don't exist yet for me. I've got some major catching up to do!

I go to lecture and its like they don't exist...

Who is the cool guy that thought the mini started at 830?
<--------
And once I realized it was 8, thought it ended at 9?
<--------

Hopefully the people that are slacking get it over with, I'm a big feedback *****...

Not sure how much I should say about WUME considering not everyone has taken it yet, but I will say I wish I had checked out this thread before I took it! It wasn't bad, but I missed out on a section of questions. Dr. B's questions were really fair. Overall, I performed much better on this than the anatomy mini.

All I can say is that I'm glad we had it. With gross, you sort of know what to expect because we have Chung's book, but I had no clue how Leon's questions would be. The advice here was super helpful, but still, you can only get so much without actually seeing questions.

So, Freeze, you showed up at 8:30? Didn't some woman not show up until after 9? All I can say is that I'm setting many alarms during exam week. Yep, I want to know the results, too.

Oh yeah, maybe good news. Our mod had lunch with Dr. Hall and Dean Schmidt, and the most current word is that we do not have to take a comprehensive exam at the end of the year. They did say that might change but that they would notify us quickly if that's the case.

Yeah, I got to the mod, made my coffee, sat down and checked my email, etc. Then I looked around and thought, "It is WAY too quiet around here for a test to be in 10 mins. Why is everyone's stuff here?" So I peeked out in the hall. "Yep, quiet out here too." So I thought I'd walk down to WLH to see if everyone went down there early or something. When I got to the top of the stairs and didn't hear ANYTHING I knew I was late...but it was all good. I felt worse for the two people next to me that sat down 20 mins before I did and were still there when I got up. But I prolly go too fast sometimes...

I did have to bust the guy's chops that wrote 0830 in Friday's notegroups, since he is in my mod...

I wonder if the two Leon announced as missing are holding up the show. C'mon people!!

I don't think I mind the comprehensive exam, as long as it isn't part of our grade.

I wonder if the two Leon announced as missing are holding up the show. C'mon people!!

Since you were late and all, I guess you missed Leon's first announcement. :) Apparently, some woman in our class called him early this morning and said she was sick and couldn't take the test. So I guess we're waiting for her on top of the two names that were called. He said he couldn't post the answer sheet until she takes her test, and since she's sick, I guess it could be awhile. It would be neat if they'd go ahead and post the grades, though.

Since you were late and all, I guess you missed Leon's first announcement. :) Apparently, some woman in our class called him early this morning and said she was sick and couldn't take the test. So I guess we're waiting for her on top of the two names that were called. He said he couldn't post the answer sheet until she takes her test, and since she's sick, I guess it could be awhile. It would be neat if they'd go ahead and post the grades, though.

I still think it's dumb that they won't post the answer key until that woman gets to take the test.

Is she really gonna memorize the ABCDE sequence for all the different versions of a 17 pg exam? No... hell, studying would be way easier.

I feel much better about this exam that the anatomy one...which is good because it's worth 12% of our grade. I couldn't tell you jack-smack about embryology right now tho. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
That would be one hell of a mnemonic story...

Maybe there'll at least be the grades tomorrow. That is all I want anyway; the key is just a means to an end...

I also thought that the WUME started at 8:30. Yesterday morning I'm asleep sitting up on the couch holding my notes and drooling (pretty picture, no?). I wake up at 7:30, walk into the kitchen look at my calendar where I wrote 8:00, CRAP! It takes me 30 minutes to get to class. So, for everyone elses sake I brushed my teeth and left. Still got there on time, but somebody else that was walking to class when I was thought it was 8:30 too.

I didn't realize this was worth 12% of our grade! Now I really want to see those scores!

WUME key is up, both on 2nd floor on discussion board...grades may be on blackboard...

GRRRR

Nothing on blackboard that I can see.

Guess I'll have to wait til tomorrow.

I bought my macbook about an hour ago... lil voice on my shoulder was saying "NOOOOOOOOOOO ... go get a motorcycle instead!!!!" lol woulda been a cheap one tho.

GRRRR

Nothing on blackboard that I can see.

Guess I'll have to wait til tomorrow.

I bought my macbook about an hour ago... lil voice on my shoulder was saying "NOOOOOOOOOOO ... go get a motorcycle instead!!!!" lol woulda been a cheap one tho.

But the motorcycle couldn't take cool, warped pictures, and it weighs a lot more than 4 lbs. :)

you can't put chicks on the back of your macbook.

Here we go again with the self-appointed EM residency "expert" from OSU.

Why would you try to dissuade someone from attending OU when you know absolutely nothing about the program? You don't see me on the OSU forums trying to convince people why OU is such a great program, or why they wouldn't want to go to OSU, so why do you butt into every OU forum trying to do the same?

Give me a break. Like you, I was a paramedic for 7 years before going to medical school, am currently planning on doing emergency medicine, and am taking full advantage of opportunities offered here, including 1st and 2nd year clinical rotations in EM, 4th year selectives in EM, away rotations, and am the clinical coordinator for our Emergency Medicine Interest Group which does EMSA ride-along programs, advanced airway clinics, etc. We have plenty of great EM physician mentors around the metro that are gung ho in helping us with our pursuits, LOR's, etc. and our 4th year students go on to do away rotations and EM residencies at some of the top programs in the nation (Vandy, Denver, LA county, etc.).

Not to get into a pissing match, but I'm not sure who this supposed paramedic is that you're describiing. There's only one other paramedic besides me at OU (he's a 4th year) and we're both quite happy where we're at with no regrets, and no "realizations" that we should have gone to OSU. We both chose OU over OSU for several reasons, those being academic, facilities and online resources, to name a few. The fact that there's no allopathic EM residency in Oklahoma is actually quite irrelevant. Most people go out of state for their residencies anyway, and the fact that the allopathic RRC standards are much higher for emergency medicine residencies versus osteoathic RRC, means that it's much more difficult to get a new allopathic residency going (thus they can't pop up all overnight all over the place like DO residencies. 4 EM residencies in OK? Bit of overkill, don't you think?). In the long run, this means that the likelihood of being halfway through residency and having it collapse or be shut down is much less.
In the long run, I most certainly wouldn't place my education on the line for a factor such as residency location, when the vast majority will either change their minds about specialty, or at least location.

Example: Somebody who "wants" to do EM, opts to go to OSU instead of OU. Halfway through 3rd year, they realize that they don't really like EM or any of the primary care specialties, but instead really want to do one of the competitive surgical subspecialities.

Now lets see, which would be easier. An MD student to move out of Oklahoma to do EM (big whoop), or a DO student to get a cardiovascular surgery, derm, plastics, urology, ENT, interventional rads, etc. residency?

Note, I didn't say the latter was impossible, but we all know the difficult reality.

Which situation would you rather be in?

I like the security of knowing that whatever I want to do, it's one set of board exams, and one move away. It's all about maximizing your potential, and that to me, was enough to choose OU over OSU.

(Note: I actually really like OSU, it's small, kinda "homey" and the people are nice, mature and intelligent, I wanted to go there for the last 10 years prior to med school, and I only made the decision to attend OU over OSU after receiving acceptance from both, and coming face to face with the benefits of each. In addition, it was a more difficult transition for me and my family to move to OKC than Tulsa, but in the end, the above reasons were key.)

My main reason for not wantinig to go to OU? I thought the students would be immature and snotty. Since being here, I've found it to be completely opposite. My classmates are among some of the brightest and friendliest people I've ever had the opportunity to be around. My only complaint about OU is that we have a farther walk to class than the dental students. Everything else is awesome, with the best benefit I've found so far, the ability to homeschool extremely successfully. For example, as I'm typing this, my 3 year old has 104 F temp, and is staying home with me while I study. No pressures to attend class. Today I'm looking over bacterial toxins and studying cardiovascular assesment, in the comfort of my recliner. Forget notegroups, hippocrates, and all that stuff as the primary reason to come to OU, being able to study 3 or 4 hrs a day, and then have the rest of the day off, because you weren't required to sit in class for 6 additional hours (plus the $$$ in gas to get there and back), is A+++, #1 benefit for me.

My $.02? OU is a great place to be, and I look forward to the Class of 2010 starting next fall.

Good luck to everyone on their application cycle, and if you need any help or questions answered, feel free to post them here, and I or the others on here will do our best to assist in whatever ways we can.

Where should I start?? As a 4th year at OSU, I find your post HIGHLY offensive. Lets just run a few things down.....

1. We don't have 4 residencies in EM in the state as someone previously mentioned (I realize that was a OSU person, and they must be ******ed). We have one at SWMC in OKC and one at TRMC in Tulsa. If you want to talk about our programs not being any good, maybe you should look at the recent EM board certifications and realize that the top score in the nation was at SWMC by a DO, none the less.

2. As far as you guys having all these wonderful opportunities (ie, ambulance ridealongs and Mediflight ridealongs) in addition to placing residents at top programs.... Ohh, wait... WE DO TOO!!! If I remember correctly, we placed a resident this past year at Scott and White, which you will realize is on of the premiere EM's in the nation (Denver ain't all it is cracked up to be, except for Tox). We also placed residents at Barnes Jewish and Johns Hopkins as well as Vandy. While they weren't in EM, they were in highly competitive fields, like Gas.

3. INTERVENTIONAL RADS AND PLASTICS ARE NOT RESIDENCIES... THEY ARE FELLOWS YOU *******!

4. As far as the irrelevance or not of having an MD EM in Oklahoma, maybe I should tell you a few things. You once had a program, about 7-8 years ago. The program sank. I don't know why it sank, but there are only 2 reasons for a program to sink: Either it sucks and it is barred, or the Directors choose to no longer teach. Now, seeing as how I know some of the attendings there, I know it wasn't the latter!

"Bit of overkill, don't you think?). In the long run, this means that the likelihood of being halfway through residency and having it collapse or be shut down is much less.
In the long run, I most certainly wouldn't place my education on the line for a factor such as residency location, when the vast majority will either change their minds about specialty, or at least location."

5. As far as your "facilities and education" .... let's just examine a few things. Who has the PREMIER PATHOLOGY AND BOARD PREP PROFESSOR ON STAFF??? Ever heard of Goljan?? I'm sure you have a book of his, or have pirated some of his notes off the internet. Yeah, that guy is our Path teacher. While I'm sure you will attempt to retort with Chung, who I hear copied his notes, I guess he would be okay, if you could speak Asian. Ohh yea, we have the number one IM program of all the osteopaths, and I would put them up against ANYONE from your school or any other MD in the nation! While TRMC isn't the nicest hospital, OUHSC is an absolute hellhole! And your educational facilities, ie your library, your classrooms, and your little "pods", are all sub-par!

6. As far as learning from your recliner, are you going to practice medicine from your recliner??

7. In addition to all these, we can always go back to NATIONAL RANKINGS. Can you please tell me the last time OU MED was ranked by US News?? If I am correct, this is our 5th year in a row! OU... nowhere to be found!!

8. Lets talk about board exams for a little bit.... Class of 2007 at OSU- 99% pass rate. Class of 2006- 100%. Does OU have numbers like this?? Is OU's even in the 90th percentile?? If so, show me the web address! I would put my hard earned loan money in a bet saying that OU has a less than 90% pass rate. And if you think COMLEX is easier, why do DO students consistently score higher on the USMLE than the COMLEX? It's not EASIER... IT'S HARDER!

So, in conclusion, while I'm sure OU has a wonderful medical school, and grads have NO PROBLEM getting into an EM residency, most, if not all of your "facts" are wrong! Your education is sub-par, compared to the average US medical school. Your facilities are atrocious! And worst of all, people like you have no idea about osteopathy or OSU-COM!

Feel free to reply!

Jon

*snip*

3. INTERVENTIONAL RADS AND PLASTICS ARE NOT RESIDENCIES... THEY ARE FELLOWS YOU *******!

*snip*

... your "facts" are wrong!

*snip*

I haven't read all of your post yet, but this part caught my eye as I was scrolling down. While it is true that one can do fellowships in plastic surgery, there are stand alone plastic surgery residencies. Check FREIDA.

As for the adversarial nature of your post, are you going to be my colleague or my "colleague"? I'm happy that you appear to be happy about where you went to school. Guess what, so am I. The bottom line I see is this: a lackluster student at the "best" medical school is going to be a lackluster doctor - DO, MD, OD, PhD, DVM, etc. It doesn't matter. The good thing is that the opposite is also true.

So... why all the muckraking?

Where should I start?? As a 4th year at OSU, I find your post HIGHLY offensive. Lets just run a few things down.....

1. We don't have 4 residencies in EM in the state as someone previously mentioned (I realize that was a OSU person, and they must be ******ed). We have one at SWMC in OKC and one at TRMC in Tulsa. If you want to talk about our programs not being any good, maybe you should look at the recent EM board certifications and realize that the top score in the nation was at SWMC by a DO, none the less.

A2. As far as you guys having all these wonderful opportunities (ie, ambulance ridealongs and Mediflight ridealongs) in addition to placing residents at top programs.... Ohh, wait... WE DO TOO!!! If I remember correctly, we placed a resident this past year at Scott and White, which you will realize is on of the premiere EM's in the nation (Denver ain't all it is cracked up to be, except for Tox). We also placed residents at Barnes Jewish and Johns Hopkins as well as Vandy. While they weren't in EM, they were in highly competitive fields, like Gas.

4. As far as the irrelevance or not of having an MD EM in Oklahoma, maybe I should tell you a few things. You once had a program, about 7-8 years ago. The program sank. I don't know why it sank, but there are only 2 reasons for a program to sink: Either it sucks and it is barred, or the Directors choose to no longer teach. Now, seeing as how I know some of the attendings there, I know it wasn't the latter!

"Bit of overkill, don't you think?). In the long run, this means that the likelihood of being halfway through residency and having it collapse or be shut down is much less.
In the long run, I most certainly wouldn't place my education on the line for a factor such as residency location, when the vast majority will either change their minds about specialty, or at least location."

5. As far as your "facilities and education" .... let's just examine a few things. Who has the PREMIER PATHOLOGY AND BOARD PREP PROFESSOR ON STAFF??? Ever heard of Goljan?? I'm sure you have a book of his, or have pirated some of his notes off the internet. Yeah, that guy is our Path teacher. While I'm sure you will attempt to retort with Chung, who I hear copied his notes, I guess he would be okay, if you could speak Asian. Ohh yea, we have the number one IM program of all the osteopaths, and I would put them up against ANYONE from your school or any other MD in the nation! While TRMC isn't the nicest hospital, OUHSC is an absolute hellhole! And your educational facilities, ie your library, your classrooms, and your little "pods", are all sub-par!

6. As far as learning from your recliner, are you going to practice medicine from your recliner??

7. In addition to all these, we can always go back to NATIONAL RANKINGS. Can you please tell me the last time OU MED was ranked by US News?? If I am correct, this is our 5th year in a row! OU... nowhere to be found!!

8. Lets talk about board exams for a little bit.... Class of 2007 at OSU- 99% pass rate. Class of 2006- 100%. Does OU have numbers like this?? Is OU's even in the 90th percentile?? If so, show me the web address! I would put my hard earned loan money in a bet saying that OU has a less than 90% pass rate. And if you think COMLEX is easier, why do DO students consistently score higher on the USMLE than the COMLEX? It's not EASIER... IT'S HARDER!

So, in conclusion, while I'm sure OU has a wonderful medical school, and grads have NO PROBLEM getting into an EM residency, most, if not all of your "facts" are wrong! Your education is sub-par, compared to the average US medical school. Your facilities are atrocious! And worst of all, people like you have no idea about osteopathy or OSU-COM!

Feel free to reply!

Jon

I'm sort of confused as to why all the sudden you're replying to a post from more than half a year ago. We don't go to the OSU forum and start fights. Also, childish I know, but as I recall, oudoc's post was in response to some dirt that was thrown by one of your classmates, who has since been banned.

Anyway, I'm just scratching my head about why some OSU students feel the need to trash OU. You're not doing your school's reputation any service by your post.

---INSERT MINDLESS RANT---

Your facilities are atrocious! And worst of all, people like you have no idea about osteopathy or OSU-COM!

Feel free to reply!

Jon

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Keep telling yourself that. We all know you wouldn't have become an MD even if you'd have gotten in ;)

{{{Big Hug for Jon}}}

I gotta give you props for even starting at the beginning. Like, how do you even dredge that up? And then find it offensive. "Oh yeah? Well, approximately one year ago you said something that angered me!" Ok, you're going to the State's medical school, :sleep:

I thought enough about going to your school that I had a pretty lengthy convo w/ a recent grad of my school about it. He said, "Dude, you can do what you want, and you prolly will. But let me tell you something: EVERY time I have EVER talked to a D.O., 95% of the exchange has been to justify that they can do everything an M.D. can. Do you still want to be saying 'but I'm a real doctor' when you're practicing in your 40's, 50's?"

I didn't read your thread in it's entirety, but I will since it stems from someone, banned from SDN BTW, with "expert" knowledge of D.O. EM residencies in OK and the current lack of M.D. ones. But I will say this, if you couldn't do a res at St. Francis or Presby, why would you stay in OK ANYWAY!?!? I've NEVER asked a flight crew where they are taking one of my patients and had them respond, "St. Anthony's." :rolleyes:

you can't put chicks on the back of your macbook.

no but with the built in isight camera, ivideo, and the right (wrong) girl, you can make a home movie with your macbook. :D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Keep telling yourself that. We all know you wouldn't have become an MD even if you'd have gotten in ;)

{{{Big Hug for Jon}}}

Maybe I'm just a slow osteopathic student, but what exactly do you mean by your little statement here?? I'm just a little curious?? Are you attempting to imply that I couldn't hack it in the MD world, so I ran to the safety of the slower, stupider DO world? Another curiosity ... Have you even passed a class, much less a licensing examination?? If so, let me know what you scored on your step 1, and if it is higher than what I got, then I'll be quiet.

As far as the person who attacked St. Anthony's..... I've worked at BOTH PRESBY AND ST ANTHONY'S AND I HAVE SEEN THE VAST DIFFERENCE. And I can tell you that Presby isn't exactly what it is cracked up to be! And if you are concerned about the patient care at St Anthony's... Maybe you should take a closer look, WHEN YOU CAN ACTUALLY DO CLINICALS!

Maybe I'm just a slow osteopathic student, but what exactly do you mean by your little statement here?? I'm just a little curious?? Are you attempting to imply that I couldn't hack it in the MD world, so I ran to the safety of the slower, stupider DO world? Another curiosity ... Have you even passed a class, much less a licensing examination?? If so, let me know what you scored on your step 1, and if it is higher than what I got, then I'll be quiet.

As far as the person who attacked St. Anthony's..... I've worked at BOTH PRESBY AND ST ANTHONY'S AND I HAVE SEEN THE VAST DIFFERENCE. And I can tell you that Presby isn't exactly what it is cracked up to be! And if you are concerned about the patient care at St Anthony's... Maybe you should take a closer look, WHEN YOU CAN ACTUALLY DO CLINICALS!

Dude, if you're so cool, why you are wasting your time on a thread specifically for OU's class of 2010. Surely you've got better, more important MS4 things to do. :rolleyes: Maybe you can go hang out with osudoc at the sports bar and talk about how sh&tty OU is and lie about how you wouldn't have gone there even if you were accepted.

Just a reminder: it is a TOS violation to go into a forum to deride that forum's members. Same thing applies to a thread like this. Also, there's no good reason to reply to a post from a year ago.

This began, as you know (being the resident SDN historian apparently), a year ago over the lack of MD EM res programs. I said nothing about the patient care at Saint's. As an aside, it is possible that you may be the "******ed" one, as I've heard from several different sources that there were 3 EM res's, with a 4th on the way, and this was fall of last year: Southwest, TRMC, St's, and and Hillcrest, although I'm not sure of the last one. At any rate there were more than 2. What I DID say, and continue to believe, is that I have never heard a flight crew tell me that they were enroute to one of these hospitals. Where does the heavy stuff go? St. Francis and OU. Why would I want to base my decision on whether to be a D.O. or not on the fact that the only EM res's instate are D.O.'s, when they aren't at the more capable facility? So to me, unless there were a residency at those trauma centers, you wouldn't want to stay instate anyway...

The simple fact of the matter, even if you BELIEVE all of your prev post, is that you will ALWAYS have to defend your choice, your profession, and your abilities for as long as you continue to practice. That's cool, if that's what you want. But not for me. I'd rather people be comfortable on their own, without me having to convince them I'm just like a regular doctor. Or have to comfort them with massage.

But seriously, the whole thing is ******ed, and if you truly felt you were ever going to taken seriously as a professional, you wouldn't be in here trying to make your point. Whatever that is.

Just a reminder: it is a TOS violation to go into a forum to deride that forum's members. Same thing applies to a thread like this. Also, there's no good reason to reply to a post from a year ago.

Now you did it Jon....
You went and p*ssed off DrMom.
Ostriches don't take **** from NO ONE !!!!!!!!!!

I'll hold him while you kick him squa in da nutz!

:D

This began, as you know (being the resident SDN historian apparently), a year ago over the lack of MD EM res programs.

Just a misc tidbit...
When those OU Tulsa guys were here a few weeks ago they said that they're restarting the MD EM res program in Tulsa next year or the one after. I can't remember...but Philip's nips perked up when he heard that. (so did mine) lol

Oh man...:laugh:

sorry about that

EMU'S don't take no **** from NO ONE !!!!!!!!

Much better :D

Just a misc tidbit...
When those OU Tulsa guys were here a few weeks ago they said that they're restarting the MD EM res program in Tulsa next year or the one after. I can't remember...but Philip's nips perked up when he heard that. (so did mine) lol

The potential SFH program has been on again, off again for a few years. I was initially told that it was a for sure deal for 2006 only to be told a couple of months later that it was totally off. Go figure. I have been hearing rumblings of it being a potential again. We do EM residency rotations there, so I'm curious to see how it'll all work out.

I think it would be good to have a program there, too. As it is right now, there are a couple of EM fellows out of the FM dept in Tulsa who join in on my program's educational sessions. This could continue and expand with a full EM program at OU Tulsa. There's precidence for joint educational sessions: the peds programs at OSU and OU Tulsa already do this.

Do all DO 2nd years take the USMLE exam? At OSU? At all Osteopathic schools?

I'm just curious if the stats could be confounded by the fact that it is the "cream of the crop" for lack of a better term that are taking the USMLEs out of DO schools.

Just a thought.

Anyway.

I better go study my pathology.

This began, as you know (being the resident SDN historian apparently), a year ago over the lack of MD EM res programs. I said nothing about the patient care at Saint's. As an aside, it is possible that you may be the "******ed" one, as I've heard from several different sources that there were 3 EM res's, with a 4th on the way, and this was fall of last year: Southwest, TRMC, St's, and and Hillcrest, although I'm not sure of the last one. At any rate there were more than 2. What I DID say, and continue to believe, is that I have never heard a flight crew tell me that they were enroute to one of these hospitals. Where does the heavy stuff go? St. Francis and OU. Why would I want to base my decision on whether to be a D.O. or not on the fact that the only EM res's instate are D.O.'s, when they aren't at the more capable facility? So to me, unless there were a residency at those trauma centers, you wouldn't want to stay instate anyway...

The simple fact of the matter, even if you BELIEVE all of your prev post, is that you will ALWAYS have to defend your choice, your profession, and your abilities for as long as you continue to practice. That's cool, if that's what you want. But not for me. I'd rather people be comfortable on their own, without me having to convince them I'm just like a regular doctor. Or have to comfort them with massage.

But seriously, the whole thing is ******ed, and if you truly felt you were ever going to taken seriously as a professional, you wouldn't be in here trying to make your point. Whatever that is.

First of all, SWMC and TRMC are the ONLY EM IN THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA. St's never got off the ground and Hillcrest has no EM program. Maybe it is because you are only 3 weeks into your medical education, but you should realize that the "heavy stuff" that might be flying into Saint Francis or OU never gets beyond the original evaluation by a EM. Maybe DR Mom will back me up on this, but in the Level 1 trauma centers in the state, there is neuro, surgery, etc on call and once the airway is secured, EM has NO PLACE IN THE TRAUMA!

And as far as me defending my decision to CHOOSE a DO over an MD, thats right, I CHOOSE a DO over an MD, you should look at all the information. Like I said, OU is NEVER ranked. OSU is in it's 5th year in a row being ranked. If you would like to argue that out, you should call US News.

At least one DO school requires their students to take the USLME, but that's all I know of.

At OSU, it is usually a true mix of students who choose to take it. For example: in my class about 50% took it including the first and last ranked people. It was a pretty representative sample of the class and everyone passed. I'm not saying it is always that cross-sectional, but just don't assume that only the top people take the USMLE.

chill, jon :)

Hillcrest has an EM fellowship (post-FM)
St Anthony's program is supposed to open in 2008, AFAIK
From what I've seen at St Francis (not a level 1), the EM docs manage the bulk of traumas. This is not the same at many level 1 trauma centers, although at some places EM has a bigger role.

As far as OU vs OSU...they're both good schools and lots of people get accepted to both. We all have our reasons for choosing one over the other. In the end, lots of us will end up working together at various medical facilities in the state and we'll all be well-qualified.

First of all, SWMC and TRMC are the ONLY EM IN THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA. St's never got off the ground and Hillcrest has no EM program. Maybe it is because you are only 3 weeks into your medical education, but you should realize that the "heavy stuff" that might be flying into Saint Francis or OU never gets beyond the original evaluation by a EM. Maybe DR Mom will back me up on this, but in the Level 1 trauma centers in the state, there is neuro, surgery, etc on call and once the airway is secured, EM has NO PLACE IN THE TRAUMA!

And as far as me defending my decision to CHOOSE a DO over an MD, thats right, I CHOOSE a DO over an MD, you should look at all the information. Like I said, OU is NEVER ranked. OSU is in it's 5th year in a row being ranked. If you would like to argue that out, you should call US News.

Just a guess, but I wouldn't count on Dr. Mom backing you up on what she has already appropriately recognized as being counter to SDN's TOS.

There are a WHOLE lot of medical professionals out there that are not "educated" within the hallowed halls of either of the two schools in our state. It would be an error to assume that my medical "education" is only 3 weeks old.

I'll take your word for it: as of today, there are 2 DO residencies in OK. Because frankly, I don't care. They aren't in hospitals where I would want to be. I will also agree that EM plays a smaller role in the management of severe trauma at large high-level trauma centers. But I would rather play a smaller role than be sitting across town at a different hospital twiddling my ****ing thumbs.

Well, jonboy is now whining about how we're being all mean toward DOs and how he wants the whole MD/DO thing to go away. Check out his thread in the step II forum. Since he's the one who started flaming, I think this is classic example of projection. Boys and girls -- short hb quiz here -- it this something from the oral or anal period? :) BTW, is Dr. Allen Canadian?

I don't want to dress up tomorrow. :(

I thought I might have been the only one neurotic enough to see what other tidbits of wisdom he might have. THAT didn't take long....

Girls have it easy. So you can't wear flip-flops, woooooo:D I like CC days, though, cuz it hides the fact I've only opened one of my t-shirt boxes.

I thought I might have been the only one neurotic enough to see what other tidbits of wisdom he might have. THAT didn't take long....

Girls have it easy. So you can't wear flip-flops, woooooo:D I like CC days, though, cuz it hides the fact I've only opened one of my t-shirt boxes.

Yep, obsessive post stalker here. I should be studying ...

You're right, we do have it easier. No ties or stupid oxford shirts, which are about the most uncomfortable things ever invented.

At least one DO school requires their students to take the USLME, but that's all I know of.

At OSU, it is usually a true mix of students who choose to take it. For example: in my class about 50% took it including the first and last ranked people. It was a pretty representative sample of the class and everyone passed. I'm not saying it is always that cross-sectional, but just don't assume that only the top people take the USMLE.

Thanks.

I was just curious. ;)

My favorite quote:
"It's better for people to think you're an idiot than to open your mouth and remove any doubt."

Rather than reply to an unnamed post above, ahem. I'll just leave it at that.

OUdoc, I think you are right. After learning from Jon that OU is such a substandard med school, I was considering mailing back my diploma and starting all over at OSU.

I've reconsidered. This whole MD/DO thing is really not a factor after med school. I'm in a program that has a few DO residents and quite honestly I could care less. There is absolutely no rivalry between any of us. I hope Jon changes his attitute soon because it will not be appreciated by his future colleagues in the real world.

Carry on. Can we just end the replies to his ignorant rants? If you don't reply, he'll eventually go somewhere else and maybe brag about how great OSU's football team is.:laugh:

So who is going to take the initiative adn open up the class of 2011 thread in pre-allo?

I find it hard to believe that I have anything to offer. But probably more than I think I do...

Its hard to feel important when I'm a little worm on a big f'in hook...

Status
Not open for further replies.