Oklahoma - (Prospective) Class of 2010 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They also do some door prize type stuff at the zoo - I won an "Oklahoma Medicine" shirt last year.

I believe they also have free beer...

Members don't see this ad.

I tease out of love...

And I get plenty in return!

WhoisJohnGalt said:
I have used my psychic powers to determine that she WAS, in fact, at the BRS class on the 27th.

(...also, she said so a few pages back)

;)

Gah, outwitted by WhoisJohnGalt! Time for me to go hang my head in shame.

Members don't see this ad :)
DivaDoc12 said:
So are the mods assigned randomly? Or is there some type of order?
Unlike the class of 2008, our class (2009) had our mods assigned randomly.

Antigunner said:
Don't forget Speedo (Andra) and the Antigunner (Dan)! Let me get a booyah for 132!
Better late than never....BOOYAH!!!

Thanks for not forgetting me, Antigunner!!

pointless rant but is Oklahoma City the most pain in the a&&, expensive city to get your utilities connected. I just realized that I have to pay a ton of money to OG&E on top of giving them a ton of documentation just so they don't disconnect my service. Considering that I never pay my bills late and have excellent credit, I think their $150 electricity deposit is a bit extreme. :mad:

exlawgrrl said:
pointless rant but is Oklahoma City the most pain in the a&&, expensive city to get your utilities connected. I just realized that I have to pay a ton of money to OG&E on top of giving them a ton of documentation just so they don't disconnect my service. Considering that I never pay my bills late and have excellent credit, I think their $150 electricity deposit is a bit extreme. :mad:
I had to do the 150 with OGE also...I was like wtf?
They're the only ones that asked me for a deposit tho.

Utilities in general are a PITA...

I'm still convinced ONG was charging both me and the people who bought my house in Stillwater for the same gas.

I'll probably look back through the thread, but did most folks get their vax at the health dept., or are we able to go to the FMC yet? I can't find proof I had a mumps vac, and it is prolly time for me to get a tetanus booster anyway...

Mr. Freeze said:
Utilities in general are a PITA...

I'm still convinced ONG was charging both me and the people who bought my house in Stillwater for the same gas.

I'll probably look back through the thread, but did most folks get their vax at the health dept., or are we able to go to the FMC yet? I can't find proof I had a mumps vac, and it is prolly time for me to get a tetanus booster anyway...
I did mine at the health dept. Kinda long wait, but oh well.

Mr. Freeze said:

When I was an incoming student to the college of allied health I got my shots done at the FMC. You can always call at 271-2577. I'm on way up there to get my records.

I realized I'm a bit hosed on the vaccine issue because I had no clue it was due Friday at noon until today. :eek: Since I haven't gotten my TB test yet, that's just not gonna happen. I just a message with Judy Davis explaining everything, but I feel like a total flake. For some reason, I though they weren't due until orientation. Since my MMR records are still in Albquerque, I guess have to get an extra one of those, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mr. Freeze said:

I would definitely get the ones you can get done at the health dept... your taxes pay for it anyway! The rest, I'd go through somewhere else. I got some things done at the Southwest Medical Center Employee Health... they do vaccines for students even if you don't work there, and in my experience they were cheaper than OU. Good luck with getting in to the FMC... they wouldn't touch me until matriculation because I "hadn't paid any tuition or fees yet"... harumph!! $20K later, they're happy to help... :rolleyes:

Is that at 44th and Western?

exlaw, the paper outlining what vax were needed said bring to orientation, the last mailing said by the 4th...I've obviously put it off as well...

Mr. Freeze said:

Yes. I don't remember the number to employee health, but if you call the operator (636-7700) and ask for Employee Health, they'll connect you and be able to tell you prices/times/etc. Last year you didn't need to make an appointment, but they did have somewhat limited business hours. I don't think I have ever been in their waiting room more than 5 minutes, even as a walk-in.

Mr. Freeze said:

exlaw, the paper outlining what vax were needed said bring to orientation, the last mailing said by the 4th...I've obviously put it off as well...

That's where my confusion came from, too. I did talk to Judy Davis, and she told me to get her what I could by tomorrow and get the rest later. Glad I'm not the only one confused.

exlawgrrl said:
That's where my confusion came from, too. I did talk to Judy Davis, and she told me to get her what I could by tomorrow and get the rest later. Glad I'm not the only one confused.

i wouldnt worry. i just went through the last months worth of mail last night adn saw that august 4th thing. so i called a left a message that it wasnt going to happen but that ill get it to her next week. talk to a friend who is an ms3, she said no worries the deadline are just to get us moving and not real firm.

I hope so...I had to talk my supervisor into letting me take a city ride @ 0945 to the health dept. for my MMR that they stop giving @ 1045; right as they called my name after waiting prolly 40 mins, the tones went off and I had to go. They're all like, "It'll just be a second..." You DON'T UNDERSTAND, it ain't Halloween, I'm not wearing a fireman costume because it's trendy...I gotta GO, NOW...After I left, a different rig ended up taking the call, because I was kinda out of pocket. So I went back, but still had to wait...grrrr

On my way to fax vax records, we get a call to unresponsive fem, poss EtOH. She was very ++++ EtOH, no poss about it...She got to wear the OHP-issue bracelets during her ride to the hospital while I sat on her legs after she slipped from the cot straps and kicked me in the mouth.

But hey, if I've done my math right, at least it's my last shift.

Mr. Freeze said:
I hope so...I had to talk my supervisor into letting me take a city ride @ 0945 to the health dept. for my MMR that they stop giving @ 1045; right as they called my name after waiting prolly 40 mins, the tones went off and I had to go. They're all like, "It'll just be a second..." You DON'T UNDERSTAND, it ain't Halloween, I'm not wearing a fireman costume because it's trendy...I gotta GO, NOW...After I left, a different rig ended up taking the call, because I was kinda out of pocket. So I went back, but still had to wait...grrrr

On my way to fax vax records, we get a call to unresponsive fem, poss EtOH. She was very ++++ EtOH, no poss about it...She got to wear the OHP-issue bracelets during her ride to the hospital while I sat on her legs after she slipped from the cot straps and kicked me in the mouth.

But hey, if I've done my math right, at least it's my last shift.

Exciting stuff, man. :p During my year working ER registration last year, I was always kind of impressed with the crews that brought folks to us. It was fun to get the look from them that spoke volumes - the "We've got a winner here, folks" look. I don't envy one bit the homes and interesting smells you get to experience. ;)

Do I remember correctly? I heard that during orientation we can write checks for all our books and stuff and everyone knows NOT to try and cash the checks until after Aug 15th.

Is this true?

Thanks,
Johnny

Amxcvbcv said:
homes and interesting smells you get to experience. ;)

Sometimes I miss being a paramedic, until I think of this part.
I came out of a house once with all of my equipment covered in cat hair, cat poop, and roaches. It was the middle of July, called on a unresponsive person inside the house. The house was a typical 3bdrm brick home in the middle of a decent neighborhood. Walking up to the house, I started seeing strange looks from the PD that had arrived just prior. Entering the house, it was dark, curtains closed, filled with a putrid stench I can still smell to this day, open moldy, half-eaten containers of food everywhere, filled with trash halfway to the ceiling, no A/C, you get the picture. The older lady in the house literally had narrow trails carved through trash piled up at least 3-4 feet on either side, to walk fom room to room. It was impossible to get into the bedrooms because the hallway and bedrooms were full. The bathroom was unaccessible as well, so I'm guessing she just used the living room or whereever. She was unresponsive in the middle of the kitchen "trail", blown pupil, heatstroke, and when I went to roll her on her side to place her on a spine board to get her out, I stuck my hand in her axilla. Mistake. It was a raw, massive gooey lesions filled with cockroaches. As soon as we rolled her over, it was like you had disrupted roach central. Hundreds of them, under the body, scattered. All across my boots, my partners boots, equipment. Everwhere. We literally had to strap her to a spine board, with a foot board, stand her almost vertically and "fish-walk" it out of the house. Out of the house, into the ambulance off to the hospital. At St. Johns, everything proceeded relatively normally until a nurse tried to put a foley in the patient. Apparently during the procedure, a bug poked it's head out from the umm... netherregions, and there was a short, badly-muffled scream from the room.
She died (the patient, not the nurse) shortly thereafter (duh) Let's just say it's a call I'll never forget.

oudoc08 said:
I came out of a house once with all of my equipment covered in cat hair, cat poop, and roaches. It was the middle of July, called on a unresponsive person inside the house. The house was a typical 3bdrm brick home in the middle of a decent neighborhood. Walking up to the house, I started seeing strange looks from the PD that had arrived just prior. Entering the house, it was dark, curtains closed, filled with a putrid stench I can still smell to this day, open moldy, half-eaten containers of food everywhere, filled with trash halfway to the ceiling, no A/C, you get the picture. The older lady in the house literally had narrow trails carved through trash piled up at least 3-4 feet on either side, to walk fom room to room. It was impossible to get into the bedrooms because the hallway and bedrooms were full. The bathroom was unaccessible as well, so I'm guessing she just used the living room or whereever. She was unresponsive in the middle of the kitchen "trail", blown pupil, heatstroke, and when I went to roll her on her side to place her on a spine board to get her out, I stuck my hand in her axilla. Mistake. It was a raw, massive gooey lesions filled with cockroaches. As soon as we rolled her over, it was like you had disrupted roach central. Hundreds of them, under the body, scattered. All across my boots, my partners boots, equipment. Everwhere. We literally had to strap her to a spine board, with a foot board, stand her almost vertically and "fish-walk" it out of the house. Out of the house, into the ambulance off to the hospital. At St. Johns, everything proceeded relatively normally until a nurse tried to put a foley in the patient. Apparently during the procedure, a bug poked it's head out from the umm... netherregions, and there was a short, badly-muffled scream from the room.
She died (the patient, not the nurse) shortly thereafter (duh) Let's just say it's a call I'll never forget.

Wow... :eek:

JohnnyOU said:
Do I remember correctly? I heard that during orientation we can write checks for all our books and stuff and everyone knows NOT to try and cash the checks until after Aug 15th.

Is this true?

Thanks,
Johnny

I'm who you heard it from, so let me clarify-- I'm not promising anything. It's not necessarily true that EVERYONE will hold your check. What I can tell you is that last year, none of the checks *I* wrote cleared before disbursement, and my MS2's told me that it was intentional because they knew we didn't have any money until then. And believe me, those would have been rubber checks if they hadn't waited. So I can tell you everyone was nice last year, and none of my checks bounced. Let me also clarify that the checks I'm really referring to here are membership fees and syllabi, because that's all you'll need before disbursement.

Now, the bookstore is totally different-- they serve the entire HSC (not just the COM), so they don't cater to us. I definitely wouldn't chance it with them. The good news is that you don't need any books before disbursement. I know they're exciting and shiny, but you will NOT use them during orientation or on the first day of class. I just looked at your schedule, and 1/2 of you are out of class at noon on the 15th, and the other 1/2 at least have a long lunch. I would probably advise at least going to pick up BRS Gross Anatomy during lunch. If you have the afternoon off, you can start your book buying frenzy, but if you just have a few minutes, I'd still pick up Chung's so you have it on the second day of anatomy. As long as you're on direct deposit, the money should hit your bank account early AM on Tuesday, so you should be all set to buy books by lunch. If you choose to pay AMSA dues and get the free Netter's (let's PLEASE not start that debate again, I'm just saying IF you do it), then I know that AMSA will definitely know better than to cash your check, so you can get your Netter's before disbursement (but, as I'm sure oudoc will tell you, you should probably read their platforms on their website before signing up just to get the Netter's).

P.S. I just thought about it some more, and you're actually probably safe going to the bookstore on Monday, though not during orientation. If you have Tuesday PCM but not Monday Gross lab, I don't see what it could hurt to write a check at the bookstore Monday afternoon. As long as you're sure that you're set with finaid, it's not like a check written Monday can clear before Tuesday.

P.P.S. I'm not endorsing financial irresponsibility. Obviously, it's best if you have the money in your account before you write the check. But, for those of you for whom that's not an option, I'm just being realistic about what's probably cool.

P.P.P.S. I've always wanted to write a post-post-post script.

WhoisJohnGalt said:
As long as you're on direct deposit, the money should hit your bank account early AM on Tuesday

I thought disbursement didn't come until the 21st or something like that... maybe I'm just wrong or maybe that's without direct deposit

Antigunner said:
I thought disbursement didn't come until the 21st or something like that... maybe I'm just wrong or maybe that's without direct deposit

I don't know anything about people without direct deposit, but I know that my finaid letter lists disbursement as 8/15. They always give us disbursement the week before the rest of the HSC starts (so that they don't have to deal with the headache we do of starting school with no money). Everyone else starts the 21st, so we would have to get it before then. I also checked my online bank records for last year, and disbursement was deposited into my account the second day of classes last year too.

oudoc08 said:

That borders on traumatizing...

If you choose to pay AMSA dues and get the free Netter's (let's PLEASE not start that debate again, I'm just saying IF you do it),
:laugh:

WhoisJohnGalt said:
About time too... I'm BORED out of my SKULL!!!

(Mental note: Re-read this two weeks from now, and slap self in face.)

haha my thoughts exactly...bored now..later "wtf was i thinking"

WhoisJohnGalt said:
I'm who you heard it from, so let me clarify-- I'm not promising anything. It's not necessarily true that EVERYONE will hold your check. What I can tell you is that last year, none of the checks *I* wrote cleared before disbursement, and my MS2's told me that it was intentional because they knew we didn't have any money until then. And believe me, those would have been rubber checks if they hadn't waited. So I can tell you everyone was nice last year, and none of my checks bounced. Let me also clarify that the checks I'm really referring to here are membership fees and syllabi, because that's all you'll need before disbursement.

Now, the bookstore is totally different-- they serve the entire HSC (not just the COM), so they don't cater to us. I definitely wouldn't chance it with them. The good news is that you don't need any books before disbursement. I know they're exciting and shiny, but you will NOT use them during orientation or on the first day of class. I just looked at your schedule, and 1/2 of you are out of class at noon on the 15th, and the other 1/2 at least have a long lunch. I would probably advise at least going to pick up BRS Gross Anatomy during lunch. If you have the afternoon off, you can start your book buying frenzy, but if you just have a few minutes, I'd still pick up Chung's so you have it on the second day of anatomy. As long as you're on direct deposit, the money should hit your bank account early AM on Tuesday, so you should be all set to buy books by lunch. If you choose to pay AMSA dues and get the free Netter's (let's PLEASE not start that debate again, I'm just saying IF you do it), then I know that AMSA will definitely know better than to cash your check, so you can get your Netter's before disbursement (but, as I'm sure oudoc will tell you, you should probably read their platforms on their website before signing up just to get the Netter's).

P.S. I just thought about it some more, and you're actually probably safe going to the bookstore on Monday, though not during orientation. If you have Tuesday PCM but not Monday Gross lab, I don't see what it could hurt to write a check at the bookstore Monday afternoon. As long as you're sure that you're set with finaid, it's not like a check written Monday can clear before Tuesday.

P.P.S. I'm not endorsing financial irresponsibility. Obviously, it's best if you have the money in your account before you write the check. But, for those of you for whom that's not an option, I'm just being realistic about what's probably cool.

P.P.P.S. I've always wanted to write a post-post-post script.

Thanks for the info :)
I'm just going to cut the checks and hope I don't get $300 in elastic penalties.

Has anyone started buying their books yet, ie. Netter's Atlas. Or should I just wait till orientation on Wednesday to see what we really need.

JohnnyOU said:
Thanks for the info :)
I'm just going to cut the checks and hope I don't get $300 in elastic penalties.

If you've waited this long, wait another 27 hours and get the Unofficial guide tomorrow night at disorientation. Also, pick the brains of your host MS2s/mentor to see what you really need.

We're chock full of wonderful information! ;)

bluespin83 said:
Has anyone started buying their books yet, ie. Netter's Atlas. Or should I just wait till orientation on Wednesday to see what we really need.

I went up to the HSC today. I got my ID card and some books. I've spoken with several ms2's and a couple of friends that just graduated and got lot's of different advice about books. I bought Chungs BRS (must have), Rohens Atlas (to keep me from having to go up to the lab to look at the actual disection), netters flash cards (I figure I can use these to study at my son's soccer practices), Langmans Embryology (the small book), the human behavior syllabus and mosbys guide to physical exam and some vinyl gloves. I spent right at 350. There was another kid there with his dad and he was buying everything! I mean BRS for every class plus all "required" books, lab coat, disection kit etc... I think when I was checking out they had 1/2 of his stuff done and he was already up to 900 and something bucks!
Anyway, I guess you can buy as little or as much as you want.
Anyone want to meet at the fountain at like 5:45 tomorrow to put some faces with our names? I really don't want to keep asking people if they are on SDN!!
Won't be long now :eek: :laugh: :) :p :D

RachelD said:
Anyone want to meet at the fountain at like 5:45 tomorrow to put some faces with our names? I really don't want to keep asking people if they are on SDN!!
lol no kidding.
I'll meet ya there, but you already know what I look like. I'll be the one with the sun glaring off his dome. :D

Well I was looking through my myriads of papers that I've collected over the summer when I find my completed, but definitely not mailed, student computer account request. Argh! I was reading that this should be mailed August 4th. Should I hold on to this until orientation, take it to someone on campus, or mail it? I don't even know where to take it to get a sponsor to sign it... What should I do?

I hope I haven't forgotten anything else. :(

want2beadoc said:
Well I was looking through my myriads of papers that I've collected over the summer when I find my completed, but definitely not mailed, student computer account request. Argh! I was reading that this should be mailed August 4th. Should I hold on to this until orientation, take it to someone on campus, or mail it? I don't even know where to take it to get a sponsor to sign it... What should I do?

I think you can turn it in during orientation with no problems. Not 100% sure tho.

want2beadoc said:

Definitely hang on to it until orientation. (It's only a day away Mr. Impatient Pants) ;) I'm sure they'll be able to get it to the right person.

Is the disorientation significant-other friendly, or should I come alone? The little lady is curious, but I'm not sure how much i want her to know. Knowledge is power, they say.

franky1095 said:
Is the disorientation significant-other friendly, or should I come alone? The little lady is curious, but I'm not sure how much i want her to know. Knowledge is power, they say.

While it's not specifically geared toward family/spouses/significant others, I don't think they'd feel particularly ostracized. It's basically us (the MS2s) giving you our impressions about first year as well as getting to know you a bit before the Deans get their hands on you tomorrow.

You'll all eat at 6:00, then around 6:45 we're going into the lecture hall for some brief introductions from the Class of 2009 Officers, watch a quick video, and answer a few questions. After that, you will pick up T-shirts/sweatshirts, if you ordered them and head for your mod. In the mod will be a few MS2s who are there just to answer any questions you have. You're free to go whenever after that, so if there aren't many questions, it'll go pretty quick.

Does that answer your question?

Is tonight casual dress? I'm having to come down from Tulsa this afternoon, so I'm gonna be a little frazzled.

Also - for orientation, I was thinking that just slacks/dress shirt/tie would be fine for Wed and Thur - save the suit for the luncheon on Friday (or maybe I should save it for White Coat Fri night) - I assume we don't need jackets with slacks and a tie. Is this a good plan? (I still haven't gotten my MCAT 20 pounds off, and this has limited the number of decent suits I have that fit!!).

Thanks!

Non-TradTulsa said:
Is tonight casual dress? I'm having to come down from Tulsa this afternoon, so I'm gonna be a little frazzled.

Also - for orientation, I was thinking that just slacks/dress shirt/tie would be fine for Wed and Thur - save the suit for the luncheon on Friday (or maybe I should save it for White Coat Fri night) - I assume we don't need jackets with slacks and a tie. Is this a good plan? (I still haven't gotten my MCAT 20 pounds off, and this has limited the number of decent suits I have that fit!!).

Thanks!
Tonight is definitely casual dress. I think your plan sounds fine as far as orientation. You don't need a jacket for white coat, as they put that cute little white one on you during the ceremony.

franky1095 said:
I don't believe that I would bring a significant other to disorientation. It is basically just for the students. It would probably be awkward for her. However, they are very much welcome to join us after when lots of us go to TapWerks. I believe that is what my husband did.

speedo542 said:
I don't believe that I would bring a significant other to disorientation. It is basically just for the students. It would probably be awkward for her. However, they are very much welcome to join us after when lots of us go to TapWerks. I believe that is what my husband did.
TapWerks?

Is that a bar or something?

JohnnyOU said:
TapWerks?

Is that a bar or something?
Yes. A very good bar, if I say so myself. All kinds of beer and great atmosphere. Even if you don't drink, it is still fun to come hang out. There are a lot of students that don't drink, but still have a really good time. Those that drink have a good time, too!!

Great meeting those of you I ran into tonight :)

That video the Class of 2009 made was hilarious. I was laughing my *ss off when they showed the ****** and ** students. :laugh:

Can't wait to meet the rest of you.

Johnny

I think it's time for the 2011 thread. I nominate JWAX to start it, since she will most likely be a member of the class ;) . (unless she want's to go somewhere else :( )

Orientation was OK, not as fun as the Tuesday night thing :) . I can't get on to the Hippocrates site. It just gets stuck at the log in page. All of us neurotic MS1's probably ran home to try it out and shut down the server. Who knows! I'll try again later.

Status
Not open for further replies.