Oklahoma - (Prospective) Class of 2010 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one failed HB last year. You won't be the first :) I'm not promising you won't fail this exam, but overall you will be fine.

You may have failed the practical. That's okay; I failed the first two and got a 100 on the third (go figure). It'll all probably come out okay. The people that wrote the unofficial guide weren't lab haters; if you're not a lab hater, it is much easier. If you are a lab hater (like me), it is a lot more difficult, but as long as you can say all the structures Chung points to in the videos BEFORE he points to them, you'll be okay. If you did fail, I'd venture to say you probably couldn't do that. Doesn't it suck that I didn't figure that out the first TWO test blocks??!?!? It's lucky that I'm here to impart my wisdom onto you now so you only take one ;) And, you might have even done fine.

CONGRATULATIONS on finishing your first test block!!! One down, eleven to go ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on finishing TB1....and don't worry about HB, most will get the hang of things. If you still feel uneasy, Id venture to say that the exams in the spring are MUCH easier than the ones in the fall. Scoring at or above 100% is definately an obtainable feat....

I bet you did fine. I "heard" that no one failed HB last year. Think of it this way, it's a year long class and we have three more tests. This one was only worth 20% of our grade so you have plenty of time to bring it up if you fell a little short. I was so tired towards the end that I filled in two "bubbles" on one line. Thank goodness I went back and checked (after my bio-chem mistake). Some (about 3) people in my mod did not sleep last night. I really don't get the all nighter for HB. I know on that test that sleep is way more imortant (maybe for every test).
Someone posted the practical answers on Hippocrates if you haven't seen them. They took two answers for several questions so it turned out ok for me. There is hope.....

Exactly what I was thinking last night when I didn't want to study. :) This HB test is sort of like a mini, really.

So did anybody have the non-bathers in their mod? I had one. :eek:

Editing to add that the lab practical key has apparently been sent to the mods, and a very nice MS1 (thank you!!) emailed the class the key. I did a lot better than I thought I did, mainly because they were pretty generous with taking alternate answers. So if you think you failed, maybe you didn't! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Re: anatomy practical - You betcha! Oh, my God, it's over. This has been the most horrifying week of my life - I have NEVER been under so much stress and there were times I didn't think I'd make it. In Biochem Monday, a very nice girl from my mod gave me a few words of sympathy about how I looked before the test started. I think she was actually trying to make sure that she knew where her cell phone was in case she had to call 911 if I fell out of my chair during the test. Pulling all-nighters just isn't pretty when you're over 40 - I can't believe how much it shows. I started to tell my mod mate that Mr. Freeze carries an emergency pocket mask with my name on it - but, with the new baby and all, I might have been out of luck!

Anyhoo, I've been severely depressed because I knew that I had BOMBED the practical. And would have well-deserved it - I wasn't "into" lab the first 2-3 weeks - I was there, but not really participating. And, you know, it's a little hard to find the structures in 3 dimensions when all you've looked at is Netter's and maybe a little Rohen here and there. There is no way to watch the videos and make up 8 or 10 labs. I will NEVER let that happen to me again. I wasn't studying enough the first couple of weeks - and it's been a bloody nightmare ever since before the minis. I've been working around the clock every single day since then.

Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with how test block came out - HB key isn't up yet, but the psychiatry Gods were reasonably kind to us - I honestly think 2/3 of the class had "crammed" the night before - I wonder if Dr. Smith realizes that. That was terrifying - I had everything memorized by about 3am - then suddenly at 4 or so, it was just gone. I hadn't really slept any Tuesday night either - I was a pretty scary little person this morning. I understood the concepts and thank heaven the question stems meant that you didn't have to have all the actual words/phrases memorized. As soon as the test started, I wrote out the steps and age ranges for Freud, Erikson, and Piaget on the back of a page - that took a little time, but I was afraid I'd draw a blank when I started the acutal test. I wanted to capture the info before it drained out of my head. That was a wise move. Don't feel too bad, Smitty - I did much better on every test than I expected to and HB had the smallest value impact on our lives. Although nobody else seemed to think Embryo was all that bad - but I thought it was ugly - exactly as what the MS-2's said - the review session was fine and I watched the video replay 3 times, but if you didn't know the syllabus you were in serious trouble. I didn't make an "A" but I could have if I'd spent a little more time with the syllabus.

I even passed the stupid practical by a decent margin!

What I learned from test block - there is one, and only one, way to study - study that day's lectures each night and try to stay current. Getting behind is fatal. Medical school will never be easy, but I never-ever want to go through the nightmare that I've had for the last 3-4 weeks, struggling to recover from my "adjustment" period the first couple of weeks of school. And don't blow off anatomy lab - hey, exlaw, Johnny, anybody interested in having some non-trad lab review sessions after-hours or on a couple of Saturdays? I'm not much of a group studier, but I think it might be effective for anatomy lab and who the heck wants to be in dungeon alone?

I won't say who it was, but one of our dear classmates after the HB test said that he didn't know what everyone was talking about because he "hadn't been stressed through block week at all." It's a good thing I was way too tired to consider any physical response to a gunner remark like that.

ok so i just read over this "6 basic organizing concepts of psychosocial theory" which i will sum up as:

there are different stages of development, each one has has certain compentencies that need to be aquired and each one has a big problem you have to overcome, the way you overcome problems is different for each stage as are your relationships with others and coping mechanisms. if you screw up bad things happen "core pathologies."

I used to have a negative opinion of med students who thought that Psychiatry was "fluff" - I think it's extremely important and a lot of it is very interesting. But, when you're cramming a central process of "person-environment interaction and creativity" to reach a crisis resolution of "Generativity" with a postive ego attribute of "care", how can any normal rational person not think - this is such cr*p?? My apologies to those I thought badly of.

I won't say who it was, but one of our dear classmates after the HB test said that he didn't know what everyone was talking about because he "hadn't been stressed through block week at all." It's a good thing I was way too tired to consider any physical response to a gunner remark like that.

:laugh:

<sarcasm>
i wasnt stressed at all during test week. thought it was really easy. made sure i got 10-11 hrs of sleep a night but was kind of dissappointed bc i got a 98 on anatomy unlike the 100 percents i got on biochem, embryo, and hb.
</sarcasm>

:laugh:

And don't blow off anatomy lab - hey, exlaw, Johnny, anybody interested in having some non-trad lab review sessions after-hours or on a couple of Saturdays? I'm not much of a group studier, but I think it might be effective for anatomy lab and who the heck wants to be in dungeon alone?
I'd like to non-trad...but I can't on saturdays because I have my kids on the weekends (single parent/medical student syndrome).

BUT...if you want to do it late sunday evenings...or M-F....I'm game.

BTW...am I the only idiot who can't find the practical key? I checked my email and I didn't see it.

Check the discussion board, some one has it in an excel sheet.

I'd like to non-trad...but I can't on saturdays because I have my kids on the weekends (single parent/medical student syndrome).

BUT...if you want to do it late sunday evenings...or M-F....I'm game.

BTW...am I the only idiot who can't find the practical key? I checked my email and I didn't see it.

The anatomy people don't post anything on-line - it's a paper copy in the mod. A guy in my mod transcribed it - I'll PM it to you.

Evenings would be fine with me. We ought to pick one night a week where we'll review the last couple of labs and make sure we understand all of the structures - and make sure we DO IT whether we want to or not. If we can't find something, I understand O'D is in the lab sometimes on Saturdays - so maybe I can get the answer for us.

Just like sex after marriage !!!

:D

Hopefully without the burned throat from formaldehyde/phenol (rolling on the floor). I have never stuck my nose that far into body cavities before, trying to figure out what things were. My nose/throat were a little scorched Wednesday night.

So did anybody have the non-bathers in their mod? I had one. :eek:
! :)

Oh man...when we were all walking into the exam today a friend and I were like "ummm what the hell is that smell?" We knew what it was:thumbdown:

Seriously tho...people need to take a shower. That's just nasty.

Hopefully without the burned throat from formaldehyde/phenol (rolling on the floor). I have never stuck my nose that far into body cavities before, trying to figure out what things were. My nose/throat were a little scorched Wednesday night.

Thanks for the answer key.

I'll need to be studying a lot more for anatomy... I got a friggen D on the practical and the written both. I was wondering why Dr. Chung flips me off everytime he walks by.

On the bright side it IS one letter better than I did on the mini :)
Maybe I'll get a C on the next...then a B...then an A...then an A with a gold star by it :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, looks like a study group is a go. I passed, but it's not like I did tons better than a "D." If I'm defeated by something, I don't want it to be anatomy, and I certainly don't want to have to remediate anatomy. Keep your spirits up - we'll do this!

Have you guys tried to schedule review sessions with O'Don or Dandajena? They're great about working with mods/dissection groups, particularly when you've covered all the material and are reviewing for exams.

Make sure you make it worth their while, though. They really resent being there if they feel like you're trying to make up for poor participation in regular labs.

I found this particularly helpful when we did the head & neck stuff on exam block three. Dr. Dandajena is a whiz at that stuff and really good at helping you grasp the tricky relationships (the lingual nerve goes where in relation to Wharton's duct?!). People shouldn't have as many letters after their name as he does. ;)

Good luck, guys, and enjoy the post-test block hangover. ;)

Let me know if Dr. Weigel still brings candy to class next week (he is covering glycolysis, you know...). :p

I don't feel like I get enough out of the actual dissection, although somehow I was able to pull most of what I did know back out on Wed.; I'd be down for going down there outside of lab.

So last night when I was "studying" for HB I took that Holmes and Rahe stress test. Is 445 high? Because it kinda seems high. If >300 gives you an 80% chance of opportunistic infection, I'm pretty much like a walking petri dish...except I fight back with lots of Vit C, advil, and COFFEE!!

If I learned anything from this week, it's don't have sex after celebrating getting your big red OU envelope; TB I is 9 months away!! :laugh:

I probably won't be AOA, but I won't be 2011 either...

And no bathing? C'mon people. At least hit the smellies.

I got an A on the practical (not so well on my other tests, still haven't had the nerve to check my embryo test - I have to find my answer sheet again). I'll tell you what I did. I did not pay attention in lab, I downloaded chung's videos on my computer and watched them every day. I got to the point where I could name every structure before chung did at 2x speed. It worked out. No more going to lab to learn, just get through it quickly find the major structures and landmarks and then watch the videos.

My sleep schedule is seriously screwed up, I went to sleep at 1 pm and woke up at 8. I'm just now getting tired.

In addition, when you are watching the videos, try looking at the other things around what chung is pointing to and try to figure out if you know what they are. I think that helped me, too.

Hey, that's great advice about the Chung videos - thanks. I re-watched all the O'D videos and took notes - but, my big problem this block was that I was so far behind on nearly everything. I downloaded the review videos but I had to face reality that there wasn't enough time left to do everything.

Freeze, I'd forgotten that the new addition to the family is a pretty big stressor that you have to add in. My total was ridiculous, but not that high. Make sure you get enough exercise to keep that Left Anterior Descending flowing smoothly.

I was also thinking the same thing that Freeze was - my God, I worked incredibly hard to get through the MCAT maze, get my pre-reqs done - and I'm going miles into debt to suffer like this??? Actually, Leon's little pep talk Monday morning about the privelege of becoming a physician and what a neat thing it is really helped me.

In the final analysis, it's not about what they're doing to us - it's about what we can do for other people someday (I will retract that statement prior to the second test block, I'm sure!)

I don't feel like I get enough out of the actual dissection, although somehow I was able to pull most of what I did know back out on Wed.; I'd be down for going down there outside of lab.

So last night when I was "studying" for HB I took that Holmes and Rahe stress test. Is 445 high? Because it kinda seems high. If >300 gives you an 80% chance of opportunistic infection, I'm pretty much like a walking petri dish...except I fight back with lots of Vit C, advil, and COFFEE!!

If I learned anything from this week, it's don't have sex after celebrating getting your big red OU envelope; TB I is 9 months away!! :laugh:

I probably won't be AOA, but I won't be 2011 either...

And no bathing? C'mon people. At least hit the smellies.

OMG, 445! I topped 300, but wow. You seem like you're handling it really well, though. :)

Yeah, it's good to feel like you're not in danger of remediating.

Okay, I have a question for the MS2s and upward about biochemistry attendance. With this last test block, I did not attend a single biochem class after Dr. Bidi stopped teaching aside from the clinical correlations. I was okay with my score on the test and actually don't think I would have done better had I attended. However, I know this next test block is supposed to be way harder. Do you think it would be beneficial to attend or can I continue to sleep late?

I liked Weigel, Olson, and Rodgers - particularly Dr. Weigel. This section is really traditional biochem, so if you're going to miss anything I think you'd be safe doing these on your own. Dr. Weigel's section of the syllabus is very well written, if I recall, with well laid out objectives and review questions.

Leon does a little bit on porphyrins and porphyria, but you know what to expect from Leon.

Don't let this section deceive you, though. It's true there are only 2.5 weeks worth of material on the block 2 exam, but it's still very dense and detail oriented. As far as learning it on your own (or reviewing it, depending on how much biochem you had in undergrad) I'd rank it this way as far as easy of self study: Weigel >> Olson > Rodgers. I still stand by some of the advice I've given before. Go to at least one of the lectures to see what they're like, then make the decision on your own unless you just really trust notegroups.

As far as from this block on, here's how I rate the lecturers.

Weigel - good lecturer, great presentations and syllabus, gives out candy. The carbohydrate metabolism stuff is pretty straight-forward, but the glycoconjugate disease stuff sucks.
Olson - she's just kind of odd. I think she said something to our class last year how she's looking for a gene for spirituality or something - I could be wrong on that.
Rodgers - Ehh... she's very dry and soft-spoken.
DeAngelis - Kind of entertaining. I liked his lectures.
Steinberg - Dear God no... I don't think I got anything useful from him or his syllabus. Hopefully he's revamped things a bit.
Fuller - really good lecturer. I'd go to his section or definitely read the notegroups cause he's always mentioning test questions or emphasizing testable points.
Knehans - Very fun. It's probably the lightest topic in all of biochem and he's just a funny guy.

On a related note, I think we had maybe 25 people at most at Dr. DeAngelis's lectures since you aren't tested on his stuff until Mini 2. ;)

Did I do a good job of half-way answering you?

Have any of you started a Class of 2011 thread yet? We had interviewees here last Thursday.

Thanks, Amx, for the advice. I'm already getting what you were saying because we are indeed covering much more material in biochem than we did previously. I think the syllabus for this upcoming test block is about twice as thick as it was for the previous test block. :scared:

So it looks like the entire OUHSC website is down again, including hippocrates. Does this happen often? It's starting to make me a little nervous.

So it looks like the entire OUHSC website is down again, including hippocrates. Does this happen often? It's starting to make me a little nervous.

You know, I don't remember ONE unscheduled downtime of hippocrates last year. I know that the night before histo exams it becomes really difficult to get into the histo images, but those aren't even hosted by OUHSC. We really didn't have any problems until you guys came along ;) Hopefully they're just moving some servers around or something, and this will clear up shortly!

It's probably the MSII's and their discussion board habit :D

So I'm sitting here at 6:30 am slowly writing this silly HB paper. Does anybody else think this is just the hugest waste of our time? :rolleyes:

Excerpt from exlaw's paper:
"I am really glad we had this Spirituality exercise because beforehand if a patient had asked to see a priest I would have laughed at him and thrown pudding in his face, then taken a photo of him with my phonecam while he was crying and put it on myspace! But after this exercise I will now show my patient respect regarding their religion. Thanks a bunch fellas! This was better than a Mentos commercial :thumbup: "

So I'm sitting here at 6:30 am slowly writing this silly HB paper. Does anybody else think this is just the hugest waste of our time? :rolleyes:

my hb paper was officially the worst paper i have writte since junior high school. im pretty sure they arent grading for content though.

my hb paper was officially the worst paper i have writte since junior high school. im pretty sure they arent grading for content though.
Mine blew too. But it's a point or two.

I started rambling on about my dog after the first paragraph, then I wrote about what I did on my summer vacation.

I don't have a dog, but I wish I did.

Everyone should own a dog, they lower blood pressure and they are always happy to see you!

If anyone bothers to read my hb paper I think I will have points taken OFF of my grade for turning in such a huge piece of crap.

So I go to the OU Family Clinic today.
My first doctor's visit in ~13 yrs...and I let the doc know that. (bc of insurance).
Missed biochem & embryo to go to this.
I say "I need a general checkup bc its been 13 yrs...plus I have XYZ problem"

You guys remember the proper exam we were shown.??? yes?? took about 45min-1 hr to do it all (not that everyone would do it all)

Esta la doctora chica... she checked nothing...and I mean nothing. Never even touched me...I coulda had a 3 foot tumor coming out my nipple and she would not have noticed.

The nurse weighed me and checked my height. That was the total extent to my exam.

She gave me a script for XYZ at my request... and that's it... I even said "ummm aren't I about 20+ pounds overweight..maybe I should drop that?" She was "Ummm oh yea..."

It was later in the day after I'd left that it dawned on me...that chick did NOTHING.

Very disappointing experience.

I had a different experience there. While they didn't give me a 45 minute exam, they addressed my problems... checked my BP, pulse, eyes, lymph nodes... and other things that were specific to my complaint. The doctor even went out of his way to go get another doctor to check it out. Luck of the draw :)

He also said "Do as I say not as I do when it comes to physical exam"

Hmm, I'm going there on Monday so I guess I'll see. What surprised me was that I had to make an appointment close to 3 weeks in advance, and the receptionist I talked to was super clueless. I'm current on physicals, though, so I don't need one of those.

Johnny, maybe you should call and specifically request a physical. At UT, they always suggested that we do that because physicals are important and whatnot. :)

I have been to the family medicine center a number of times while in undergrad and have always been very happy. The best experience I had was when I tore my ACL a couple of years ago. The doctor who I saw said usually they do an MRI to confirm. He then called and checked out what I would have to pay for an MRI on student insurance. I was going to be a lot, so he had another doctor confirm an ACL tear by physical exam and called an orthopedic surgeon to see if he would operate without an MRI. Saved me a ton of money!

I also saw Dr. O'Don a couple of years ago for another leg injury. He was really cool and kept in touch with me through phone and email to check out how I was doing.

Hmm, I'm going there on Monday so I guess I'll see. What surprised me was that I had to make an appointment close to 3 weeks in advance, and the receptionist I talked to was super clueless. I'm current on physicals, though, so I don't need one of those.

Johnny, maybe you should call and specifically request a physical. At UT, they always suggested that we do that because physicals are important and whatnot. :)

Others seem to have had good experiences there. Maybe it was just my doc...or she was having an off day... I should have said "I would like a full physical please"....instead of "I haven't been to a doc in 13 yrs and need a general health checkup".

It seemed odd that she told me twice that I was a very healthy person. Maybe she's psychic. :)

I go back in four weeks...maybe she'll touch me then

I had to schedule mine 3 weeks in advance too...that's a major pain when it comes to your GP...hope I don't ever actually get sick.

I had to schedule mine 3 weeks in advance too...that's a major pain when it comes to your GP...hope I don't ever actually get sick.

They have an after hours urgent care clinic on Monday through Thursday from 4:30 until 7:30 (I think that's when it closes... maybe earlier).

I went to it last week and got a same-day appointment, but I did call early in the morning. You may not get to see the same doctor that you normally see, but they all use the same records. ;)

Oh, and make sure you tell them you're a student and call the student health nurse to schedule directly with them (I'm pretty sure that's what Judy's assistant told me). Their direct number is 271-2577, so you don't have to deal with the hectic/busy switchboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.