Oklahoma - (Prospective) Class of 2010 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RachelD said:
Orientation was OK, not as fun as the Tuesday night thing :) . I can't get on to the Hippocrates site. It just gets stuck at the log in page. All of us neurotic MS1's probably ran home to try it out and shut down the server. Who knows! I'll try again later.

Well it must not be just you, because so far all your board has is a bunch of posts of people in my class and the MSIII's and MSIV's trying to sell you stuff. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

RachelD said:
Orientation was OK, not as fun as the Tuesday night thing :) . I can't get on to the Hippocrates site. It just gets stuck at the log in page. All of us neurotic MS1's probably ran home to try it out and shut down the server. Who knows! I'll try again later.

Hmm, I was able to get on, but there were all of zero posts in the MS1 section.

Today was tiring but easy. Tomorrow seems a bit more chill. I feel officially blessed because I do not have to dissect on Monday. :)

exlawgrrl said:

Today was tiring but easy. Tomorrow seems a bit more chill. I feel officially blessed because I do not have to dissect on Monday. :)

I don't have to dissect Monday either, but to be fair, I don't have to dissect again... EVER!!!! *mwa ha ha*. My favorite part of being an MSII so far is thinking about how badly you're all going to smell and I don't have to :) It will also be nice to not have to go upstairs to my mod ;) It's kinda scary though... when you're in our position next year, we'll have already been on the wards for a few weeks :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I got on hippocrates no prob. Saw lots of lecture slides, no student posts, but I didn't look hard and was only on there for a few minutes.

exlawgrrl said:

I was a group B dissector as well. I think it was the best group. :p If the lab order is still the same, you get to saw off the leg as well as open the skull, remove the brain, and saw the skull in half. ;)

Ahhh, anatomy...

Be warned, though, the suboccipital triangle is a pain of a dissection if you're not used to dissecting. We completely destroyed ours. Even Dr. Chung had a difficult time putting poor Roscoe back together.

JohnnyOU said:
I got on hippocrates no prob. Saw lots of lecture slides, no student posts, but I didn't look hard and was only on there for a few minutes.

I creeped out my husband by starting to watch an anatomy dissection video. ;)

The good news is that I successfully downloaded windows media player on my new macbook. :) So I'm starting to think that I might not have to buy any software.

WhoisJohnGalt said:
I don't have to dissect Monday either, but to be fair, I don't have to dissect again... EVER!!!! *mwa ha ha*. My favorite part of being an MSII so far is thinking about how badly you're all going to smell and I don't have to :) It will also be nice to not have to go upstairs to my mod ;) It's kinda scary though... when you're in our position next year, we'll have already been on the wards for a few weeks :eek:

No fair -- well, it is fair, but anyway. I'm jealous of all you second years; you know your way around, and you won't stink. :)

exlawgrrl said:

LOL just wait until he walks in on you eating dinner while watching one... my husband couldn't believe it. Before long, you'll be talking to your lab partners about what you want for dinner while you're cleaning fat (without naming any names, a modmate of mine's reaction to cracking open the sternum was "I want ribs tonight!" and she was serious... she went out for ribs). Some people even ate candy bars during lab, but that was a little intense for me. ;)

Orientation is alright. It's been great meeting everybody. Basically I've heard, study a lot, but keep a social life, and find a system that works for you, said about 25 different ways...I get it! I can't wait to get started. Filling out the PCM form and writing down rotations we would like got me really excited. Wow, I'm a nerd.

I haven't been on hippocrates yet, still haven't got my login. As usual, I turned in my IT form late.

You left out: PLEASE COME TO TULSA, IT'S SO COOL!! AND SMALL!!

exlawgrrl said:

The good news is that I successfully downloaded windows media player on my new macbook. :) So I'm starting to think that I might not have to buy any software.

Which WMP did you get? Everything I've found is version 9, or there is flip4mac, which I guess runs through quicktime. But all the downloads are .sitx. I downloaded StuffIt Expander, but it won't install either...

What did you do??

Smitty3L said:
Orientation is alright. It's been great meeting everybody. Basically I've heard, study a lot, but keep a social life, and find a system that works for you, said about 25 different ways...I get it! I can't wait to get started. Filling out the PCM form and writing down rotations we would like got me really excited. Wow, I'm a nerd.

I haven't been on hippocrates yet, still haven't got my login. As usual, I turned in my IT form late.

I sent my IT form right after we got it. I just got on to hippocrates this afternoon. I had to call and it turnes out they had not finished activating my account. I looked at my e-mail and I have none. I know others who have some so I hope I did not miss anything. :thumbdown:
I did look at an anatomy video. I felt surprisingly sick. I did not think it would bother me but it kinda did. I guess we will see on monday! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I posted an iCal version of our fall schedule on the discussion boards just in case anyone is interested.

Also, on the anatomy lab schedule, is it a strick Monday/Friday and Wednesday alternation with the A and B groups, or does it change with hollidays and test blocks? If that makes any sense.

Smitty3L said:

It gets better! Next week they tell you how First year medical students have a high rate of suicide. :scared: :eek:

exlawgrrl said:

LOL! Just when he gets used to that, bring your Rohen's color atlas to bed! :laugh:

TUHopeful said:
I posted an iCal version of our fall schedule on the discussion boards just in case anyone is interested.

Also, on the anatomy lab schedule, is it a strick Monday/Friday and Wednesday alternation with the A and B groups, or does it change with hollidays and test blocks? If that makes any sense.

thanks for the ical conversion. made my life easier, much appreciated. :)

Amxcvbcv said:
I was a group B dissector as well. I think it was the best group. :p If the lab order is still the same, you get to saw off the leg as well as open the skull, remove the brain, and saw the skull in half. ;)

Ahhh, anatomy...

Be warned, though, the suboccipital triangle is a pain of a dissection if you're not used to dissecting. We completely destroyed ours. Even Dr. Chung had a difficult time putting poor Roscoe back together.

I was group A. If I'm remembering correctly, poor group B got stuck with all the dissections before Holidays! I always felt bad leaving for my long weekend, while they were stuck there until 5 or 6 ish. But not bad enough to stay! :p

I was also group A, and I've got a warning for all you group Aers:

Monday will be one of the worst lab days you'll ever have. Sorry. You'll probably be okay if you've got a skinny cadaver, but if you've got a large one like we did, it's going to be miserable. You'll be cleaning fat for three hours, at the end of which you'll be convinced you learned nothing, and you'll come home crying and telling your husband you're never going back. Well maybe the last bit was just me, but it's seriously not a fun dissection. I'm warning you because you should know they're NOT all this bad. It's just unfortunate that you have to start somewhere, and starting usually means getting through alot of subcutaneous tissue, and the back happens to be a pretty big area of subcutaneous tissue. Chin up though, Friday will be better :)

TUHopeful said:

It is definitely variable - I think the B group went at one point for about 6 weeks in a row without a Friday dissection. However, we also got stuck with a lot of the looooooong dissections.

Mr. Freeze said:
Which WMP did you get? Everything I've found is version 9, or there is flip4mac, which I guess runs through quicktime. But all the downloads are .sitx. I downloaded StuffIt Expander, but it won't install either...

What did you do??

I did have to download the StuffIt Expander, and it did install. It's sort of weird because you have to give them your email, and then they send the installation thing to you through email. Mine wound up in my junk folder, but I found it. I did do version 9, which I got here.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/windowsmediaplayerformacosx.html

I got the Stuff It from here.

http://www.stuffit.com/mac/expander/download.html

Good luck!

Smitty3L said:
Orientation is alright. It's been great meeting everybody. Basically I've heard, study a lot, but keep a social life, and find a system that works for you, said about 25 different ways...I get it!

Exactly!! It's really nice that people are talking to us and answering our questions, but it seems like there's only so much you can say before you get to the real school stuff.

RachelD said:
I sent my IT form right after we got it. I just got on to hippocrates this afternoon. I had to call and it turnes out they had not finished activating my account. I looked at my e-mail and I have none. I know others who have some so I hope I did not miss anything. :thumbdown:
I did look at an anatomy video. I felt surprisingly sick. I did not think it would bother me but it kinda did. I guess we will see on monday! :eek:

I had a similar problem last year. Even though my login worked fine, my e-mail took about a week before it would work right. I had several e-mails I missed cause they got bounced back as having an invalid address. :(

exlawgrrl said:
I did have to download the StuffIt Expander, and it did install. It's sort of weird because you have to give them your email, and then they send the installation thing to you through email. Mine wound up in my junk folder, but I found it. I did do version 9, which I got here.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/windowsmediaplayerformacosx.html

I got the Stuff It from here.

http://www.stuffit.com/mac/expander/download.html

Good luck!

i just downloaded the wmv components for quicktime here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...4d-d747-4180-a400-5f06b1b5e559&DisplayLang=en

it didnt work right after i installed it, but i rebooted and had no problem opening the .wmv files with quicktime. it downloads at a .dmg so you dont need stuffit (though its a great program to have). oh ya, i just got my macbook (the cheap one with extra ram) 2 days ago and am loving it. big upgrade from a 4 year old 667 mhz g4 powerbook. :D

Does anyone know if Ratcliffes is open on saturday or sunday?

RachelD said:

I took anatomy in undergrad and felt really sick when we first raised the cadaver up from the tank. I thought that it was going to be no big deal, but it was when I was really faced with it. Anyhow, that awardness went away really quickly for everyone in my lab. By the end of the first lab I was really enjoying it (okay now I sound like a psychopath). Tomorrow at the luncheon I probably shouldn't say "I can't wait to totally mutilate your loved one, last time I cut up a dead person it was a lot of fun!"

It worked the 2nd time I downloaded both stuffit and wmp.

Are the videos choppy, hahaha, for anyone else? It'll play both a/v for a few seconds, then the vid freezes but the audio goes rolling along. It did this on my parent's PC as well, so it isn't a mac thing, but more likely related to their connection.

JohnnyOU said:
Does anyone know if Ratcliffes is open on saturday or sunday?

I bet they are this particular weekend. If they were smart...

Antigunner said:
According to their website, they are open 9 to 1 on Saturdays, closed on Sundays
Thanks AG :)

The streaming dissection videos are very hard on bandwidth, so if you're on anything less than a healthy cable or dsl connection, they'll be very choppy.

I have only experienced that problem intermittently with Cox. The disclaimer about viewing the videos on the OUHSC campus is there for a reason. ;)

Oh, THAT disclaimer...

I've got a Gross question: My Tank has a day by it. Is that the only day I go into the lab? Because I see there are two different groups, but three days worth of lab.

The luncheon was pretty cool for us, BTW...Our family was late, but we were all beginning to get kinda upset at the prospect of them not being there. We had built this whole thing up, we didn't want to not experience it. Although having been so long ago, this seemed to remind them of the loss, which was kinda touch and go there for awhile...

And I don't know how other tables went, but talking on the bus ride back, we got the sense that maybe they didn't quite grasp that we were the actual "learners" and no one else would be. But I don't know what OU provides them or how much they should know anyway...

Mr. Freeze said:
Oh, THAT disclaimer...

I've got a Gross question: My Tank has a day by it. Is that the only day I go into the lab? Because I see there are two different groups, but three days worth of lab.

The luncheon was pretty cool for us, BTW...Our family was late, but we were all beginning to get kinda upset at the prospect of them not being there. We had built this whole thing up, we didn't want to not experience it. Although having been so long ago, this seemed to remind them of the loss, which was kinda touch and go there for awhile...

And I don't know how other tables went, but talking on the bus ride back, we got the sense that maybe they didn't quite grasp that we were the actual "learners" and no one else would be. But I don't know what OU provides them or how much they should know anyway...

I got the impression from our family that they had no clue what the body would be used for or our role. One person in our group actually explained it to them, and they seemed touched. Their father had just died in February, so they were still pretty emotional about the whole thing.

Overall, I thought it was a nice experience. One family apparently didn't show up, which would suck.

Yeah, that's what we started thinking...I wasn't necessarily sweating it, but thought the opportunity was certainly there for some tense moments, so I had kinda built it all up in my head; I just didn't want the letdown. Even though I'm sure we could have made up some funny stories, which we had actually begun doing, sometimes, as they say, truth is stranger than fiction.

The other half of our mod's specimen died the first part of July. They were the ones right by the desert table, all quiet and stoic. Or at least when I got my piece of cheesecake.

We asked our family if they brought any pictures. Oh no, they said, she woulda just died if she knew we were showing you guys her picture!!

Well ma'am, it's funny you should say that...

We had three daughters, and the oldest (as it should be) was pretty much running the show. She has been a nurse for 37 years, so it seemed pretty evident that she would know what goes on in between today and January.

Mr. Freeze said:
Well ma'am, it's funny you should say that...
The luncheon was a really good experience - and I was pretty nervous about it. Our poor family got to the Hall of Fame early and decided the event had to be at OUHSC. They spent so much time driving around the city that they didn't get to eat - and it was quite awkward trying to start conversation when we all were trying to finish our lunch. Our donor was a younger woman who passed away far too young so, obviously, the whole subject was quite difficult for them. The whole family has decided to be anatomical donors, however, which fascinated me.

Some of my pre-med buddies who are leaving for other schools this weekend told me how "creepy" they thought it was that I had learned a great deal about my donor. I've decided that I don't agree at all. My team is going to be working with this person's Earthly vessel and it deserves to be treated with great respect - but it should not be treated as if the former owner is still in the room. She's gone.

Hey, Mr. Freeze, I'm lazy with the search function - wasn't it you who knew a vet in Midwest City? My poor shepherd's toenails are totally out of control. She needs to be knocked-out, have her teeth cleaned, and her toenails sanded.

Exlawgrrl, I bet I'm one of the few people who saw your second arm go high during the cloaking. Not your fault - your cloaker was holding your coat way too low. I actually choked a little during the oath - very moving. The whole thing didn't sink in until I stopped at the mens' room, though (very classy, I know). I stepped in front of the mirror to wash my hands and froze. Wow, that's me!!

I forced myself to drive to Tulsa this afternoon. Don't know why I bothered - the grass isn't growing in OKC and it's pretty much dormant (or dead) here, too. I've got my lab coat and scrubs for Monday but no gloves. Wonder where I can pick-up some nitrile gloves on a Sunday. Do they care what type of coat we wear? I'm sentimental about my first lab coat from pre-med. I have an old scrub jacket rescued from the SFH laundry that would be much better if it's allowed.

Is everybody wearing shorts and flip-flops to class Monday morning? I'm kinda burned out on dress clothes for a while.

I was too busy trying to remember what the dean said...I stood up without my little program, thinking we shouldn't read it from that; then I looked up, and everyone was looking down in their hymnals, but it was too late to get it, because I was on the back row...

Shameless plug: Dr. Summers, Post Rd. Pet Clinic, which is just south of 15th and Post (1 mile east of douglas, for which there's an exit on I40). It might be a drive with gas being 3 dolla, but worth it :D

I never know whether I'm supposed to go fishing for the 2nd sleeve, or if they are supposed to find my hand. It's always like this awkward dance, like when you run into someone in the hall, and each go the same way to get out of each other's way.

Non-TradTulsa said:
I've got my lab coat and scrubs for Monday but no gloves. Wonder where I can pick-up some nitrile gloves on a Sunday. Do they care what type of coat we wear? I'm sentimental about my first lab coat from pre-med. I have an old scrub jacket rescued from the SFH laundry that would be much better if it's allowed.

Is everybody wearing shorts and flip-flops to class Monday morning? I'm kinda burned out on dress clothes for a while.

It will probably be hard to find a place on Sunday. Last year there were gloves in the lab for the first week, so don't worry if you don't have any.

The MSII will be in extreme casual, border line PJ clothes!

Mr. Freeze said:
Oh, THAT disclaimer...

You dissect every other day. If you are group A, then this week you will dissect Monday and Friday, next week you will dissect weds. If you are group B, then this week you only dissect Weds. Next week you dissect Monday and Friday.

To prepare for each day's dissection, you should print off that days dissector (anatomy page on hippocrates). Monday's dissection will include covering the face and hands with moist cotton and a bag (an attempt to keep these areas moist until dissection and it helps de-humanize the cadaver). This dissection also includes dissecting the supperficial back. Overall, it is a pretty easy dissection (if you have a skinny cadaver).

Non-TradTulsa said:
Exlawgrrl, I bet I'm one of the few people who saw your second arm go high during the cloaking. Not your fault - your cloaker was holding your coat way too low. I actually choked a little during the oath - very moving. The whole thing didn't sink in until I stopped at the mens' room, though (very classy, I know). I stepped in front of the mirror to wash my hands and froze. Wow, that's me!!

I forced myself to drive to Tulsa this afternoon. Don't know why I bothered - the grass isn't growing in OKC and it's pretty much dormant (or dead) here, too. I've got my lab coat and scrubs for Monday but no gloves. Wonder where I can pick-up some nitrile gloves on a Sunday. Do they care what type of coat we wear? I'm sentimental about my first lab coat from pre-med. I have an old scrub jacket rescued from the SFH laundry that would be much better if it's allowed.

Yeah, that was sort of embarrasing. Supposedly I wasn't the only one. :)

You can get nitrile gloves at lowe's. I saw a pack of 15 pairs for about $3.50 in the painting section. Some drugstores carry them, too, but some only carry latex.

I'm wearing flipflops and probably jeans tomorrow. No way am I dressing up.

I think this has been posted before, but where's a cheap place to buy scrubs and a lab coat?

Also, do we buy both the gross and biochem syllibi in the biomedical building? It looks like the HB syllibus is all online, so maybe we don't have to buy that??

Good luck everybody tomorrow!

exlawgrrl said:

You can get nitrile gloves at lowe's. I saw a pack of 15 pairs for about $3.50 in the painting section. Some drugstores carry them, too, but some only carry latex.

I think this has been posted before, but where's a cheap place to buy scrubs and a lab coat?

Also, do we buy both the gross and biochem syllibi in the biomedical building? It looks like the HB syllibus is all online, so maybe we don't have to buy that??

Last year we bought the biochem syllabus in the BMSB, but they set up a table in the BSEB for the Gross/Embryology syllabus. Last year they were bundled for us, but I noticed they put the embryology syllabus online, which is nice... if they will sell the gross syllabus separately.

Good luck to all the new MS1's tomorrow. It'll be a bit dizzying at first, but try to have fun, and enjoy your new life. My tip for everyone is to really study extra hard the first few weeks and crush the anatomy and biochem mini-exams. I along with several people made a 100, and it was a real confidence booster for the rest of the year. On the other hand, some people didn't do so, and they really went into the first real test block with fear rather than confidence.
Other than that, think of the first semester as establishing your own personal learning style, (which might be quite different than undergrad).
Remember, you'll never know it all, and despite what some might tell you, it's NOT all about rote memorization. You can memorize yourself silly, but if you don't conceptualize, you'll be poorly served for boards as well as your future career. You won't be doing your patients any favors either.

Everyone feels at times as if their admission was somehow a mistake, but rest assured you wouldn't be here if you didn't deserve it. The admissions people didn't put in a half-year worth of effort to select you if they didn't believe you were able to accomplish the goal.

Get a good night sleep (from here on out, not just tonight), and come tomorrow, as Leon would say, be prepared to KICK A$$!

exlawgrrl said:
!
Awwwww I missed that...didn't see it at all. I didn't see anyone make a mistake other than the band lol

The guy sittin in front of me had his coat collar messed up when we had all sat back down and it was driving me nuts. I soooooo wanted to fix it or say something to him...but thought it would look too gay if I fixed it for him :laugh:

exlawgrrl said:

Don't buy the nitrile gloves at Lowe's (if you haven't already). 3.50 for 15 pairs is a rip off, and it'll only get you through a few weeks if you double glove. There will be plenty of gloves around the first day, so I wouldn't worry about it if you haven't already bought them. The cheapest place to find scrubs is wal-mart, I'm not sure about a lab coat though. They sell them at most medical supply stores, but I don't know how cheap they are. I bought mine from the MSII's last year. I wouldn't worry about where to find the syllabi, I'm sure they'll tell you a dozen times tomorrow. Good luck!!! :)

After reading a few of the last posts, I thought I would throw in my advice. I wouldn't really worry about double gloving if you have nitril gloves. BE SURE TO WEAR CLOSED SHOES TO LAB!!! They won't allow open shoes or crocs that have holes in the top. I bought plastic garden shoes that you can get at Atwoods. And things really start fast on Monday, so GET WITH IT!!! Don't get behind already, particularly with anatomy. But don't worry too much, you WILL get the hang of it fast. Soon, it will be old news.

Good luck!!! You only have your very first day of medical school once!!

speedo542 said:
Good luck!!! You only have your very first day of medical school once!!

I don't know about that, I'm sorta getting first day jitters again myself... I mean, IHI has its own discussion board for crying out loud!! ;)

Okay, here's my other idiot question. When are the minis? I've looked on the calendar and can't find anything aside from a practice anatomy exam the week before our first test block. Also, are they just in anatomy and biochem? Other question, will professors give us useful information about the class on the first day?

Sort of never mind. I found the date for the anatomy mini. Is the biochem mini the thing on on 9/5 labeled "wume"?

exlawgrrl said:
Okay, here's my other idiot question. When are the minis? I've looked on the calendar and can't find anything aside from a practice anatomy exam the week before our first test block. Also, are they just in anatomy and biochem? Other question, will professors give us useful information about the class on the first day?

The Minis are September 1st and 5th. Leon calls the biochem mini WUME (for Warm-up Mini Exam). It's on the Tuesday after Labor Day, while the anatomy mini is the Friday before that. Yes, they're just in anatomy and biochem (Just... heh.) And yes on the final question. You'll have plenty of slow-paced explanation from Leon, and you'll get more from all the Anatomy/Cell biology staff during the orientation tomorrow at 11:00.

Enjoy. :) I almost got sick driving there for my first day. Leon starts nice and slow. By lunch you'll be thinking, "Hey, this isn't so bad." But... when you come back for anatomy after lunch it's on. Chung is full throttle, and you'll be left with your head spinning. ;)

Hey OU...I'm from U of Maryland. We've been neck & neck in # of replies for a while now...this will probably change very soon, as we have already officially begun MS1. Much respect to you guys - you gave us a run for our money! #3 isn't even in the ballpark.

US News & World report should base their rankings on # of posts on SDN.

Good luck to all of you, especially our counterparts in OU's class of 2010!

:luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.