Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey does anybody know if they are still giving out interviews?
Not sure if they are still giving them out but I remember it being mention that there was 2 interview days left

Members don't see this ad.

hey does anybody know if they are still giving out interviews?

Seems like an innocent question to ask the Admissions Office if you'd really like a concrete answer. I'd venture to say they interview through April, but that's information I barely remember hearing from months ago.

Seems like an innocent question to ask the Admissions Office if you'd really like a concrete answer. I'd venture to say they interview through April, but that's information I barely remember hearing from months ago.
i just called. they are still giving out interviews....for the waitlist.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a match list anywhere? They don't post one on their website and I can't find any info anywhere else.
They gave us one at the interview, but I don't think you can find it online

Last edited:
Got a pretty mean rejection letter today. Bye Ohio!

Last edited:
Updates submitted. Fingers crossed for alternate listers. Good luck everybody!

Reactions: 2 users
Submitted my updates as well!

Last edited:
Email! Basically it said I should apply again only if I made significant improvements. It just wasn't the nicest phrasing!
Don't stress it. The process is a crap shoot. The best school = the one that accepts you. :)

Around what date is there expected to be movement on the alternate list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at last year's thread it seems like it wasn't until the end of June when there was a little movement. But only three students came off, so here is to hoping this year is different.

Hi everyone. I've heard that last year was a bit of an outlier as far as people coming off of the wait list--not a lot of movement. Assuming (fingers crossed) that this year will show a similar trend to the others, I went back to the 2012-2013 forum and found a couple of comments from meep meep that I thought others might find helpful.

Hello!

It is our policy not to disclose how many people are on the alternate (wait) list. We also do not tell candidates where they are positioned on the list. What I can say is that your colleagues are correct that most of the movement occurs after May 15 and that it is possible that we'll be taking students up through the first week of orientation. July 22 would most likely be the last day we could accept a student into the class.

Hello All!

I just wanted to post a quick note to say that we have begun taking people from our alternate list today (5/16).

As we've stated before, we cannot tell you where you are on the list, but please know that should your name come up, you will receive a personal phone call from either Dr. Schriner or me (Jill Harman). We have no way of predicting how many more people we will take from the list, but we do have the potential to call people as late as July 22. I understand that this is a very stressful time for everyone but please be as patient as you can.

If you are an accepted student and you have decided not to attend OU-HCOM, please let the admissions office know as soon as possible so that we may give your spot to a deserving person on our alternate list. We won't be angry (sad perhaps, but not angry), so please don't hesitate to communicate your plans with us.

Reactions: 1 users
I believe they have changed the start date since that year. So now students have to commit earlier and it's less likely they will accept a spot at another school later on. It was a smart move by OU because now they get more of the applicants that they offered acceptances. Not good for those placed on the alternative list unfortunately. Today or yesterday the alternate applicants were ranked, so hopefully everyone has all their updates submitted. Best of luck everyone!

Last edited:
Question for current med students--any recommendations about good places to live? Specifically, any input on The Summit? (And also if you know about any friends with dogs who are happy with where they are living?) Let me know--thanks!! :)

Question for current med students--any recommendations about good places to live? Specifically, any input on The Summit? (And also if you know about any friends with dogs who are happy with where they are living?) Let me know--thanks!! :)

Hi Ariba, most of the people in my class live at the Summit, Courtyard or Athens Station. I would recommend Courtyard or Athens Station. The main reason I say this is because at the Summit you are not able to get a parking pass which is a huge negative. Although it's a little less than a mile away the hill to get up to the apartment complex is brutal (I've heard). So most people end up taking the apartment bus to get to and from school which kind of sucks because you have to revolve your day around the bus schedule. This is compared to Courtyard where you're able to buy a parking pass and Athens station where you can walk to school and it will take you <3 minutes. All of these are great options but as a convenience factor I would choose Courtyard or Athens Station. Congrats on the acceptance! Get pumped for July but enjoy your free time now that you have it!

Just a heads up to everyone on the alternative list; the latest that they will pull a name off of the list is July 8th. Good luck to everyone playing the waiting game!

Just a heads up to everyone on the alternative list; the latest that they will pull a name off of the list is July 8th. Good luck to everyone playing the waiting game!
The alternate-list has begun moving already from what I've heard

I guess I'll just being hoping my phone rings sometime before July 8th haha

Last edited:
Don't give up hope yet- we had someone come off the wait list during orientation last year...

Reactions: 1 users
I swear, I get unreasonably excited every time my phone rings.

Reactions: 3 users
Can someone explain how 3rd and 4th year works? I realize you pick a CORE site, but do you move to that site for those two years or are they extended stays away from your home in Athens? I guess what I am asking is will I need to find an apartment near the CORE site that I get placed?

Can someone explain how 3rd and 4th year works? I realize you pick a CORE site, but do you move to that site for those two years or are they extended stays away from your home in Athens? I guess what I am asking is will I need to find an apartment near the CORE site that I get placed?
Hey! From what I understood it depends on what hospital you are placed at for rotations. If its close to Athens then you may not need to, but if you are placed further away then it would be worth considering. I believe you are assigned a site where you complete all of your rotations, so it would be a one time move. This is all based on what I understood for the interview and second look, so you may want to contact them to confirm

In between first/second year you go through the CHAP (Core hospital assignment process) and select preferred CORE sites (NW Ohio/Toledo, NE Ohio/Cleveland, Central Ohio, etc.) Dublin Students get priority in Central Ohio CORE and Cleveland gets priority at NE Ohio CORE. Once you are assigned you will stay in that one location for your entire third and fourth year rotations (assuming you don't have audition rotations elsewhere). Most Athens students leave Athens since there are simply not enough rotation sites, so it would very likely only be a one time move after second year.

Shouldn't you be an osteopathic squirrel?

In between first/second year you go through the CHAP (Core hospital assignment process) and select preferred CORE sites (NW Ohio/Toledo, NE Ohio/Cleveland, Central Ohio, etc.) Dublin Students get priority in Central Ohio CORE and Cleveland gets priority at NE Ohio CORE. Once you are assigned you will stay in that one location for your entire third and fourth year rotations (assuming you don't have audition rotations elsewhere). Most Athens students leave Athens since there are simply not enough rotation sites, so it would very likely only be a one time move after second year.

Shouldn't you be an osteopathic squirrel?
Thanks for your response pancake. I would change my name to Osteopathic Squirrel if SDN would let me. I guess I'll have to make a new account.

Any word on scholarships/fin. aid?

I wonder when they have had the most movement in previous years. As the days keep passing I'm less and less hopeful

I think our only hope now is that people don't show up to orientation.

It's tough to stay positive, but you have to think that most medical schools start in late July or August. As those later schools fill their classes and accept off their wait list they might pull ppl from OU and open up seats for us. I'm still hopeful that we'll see the most movement in late June/early July as the admissions cycles from the other medical schools catch up and OU students are offered schools that are their top choice or maybe just all around more convenient for them. At least this is what I like to tell myself. Realistically, OU is a great school and the top choice for a lot of us and most students are in-state so it's all around convenient with the three campuses. In previous years as many as 20-30 students have come off the list, but now with an early start date few ppl come off the list bc by the time other schools get around to pulling from their own lists and offering seats to OU students, OU is already a month or more deep in the term. I agree with strokezone99. It's more likely that a seat will open around orientation bc someone just doesn't show up or can't show up.

Last edited:
What happens if we get taken off the waitlist very late in June or early July? Are we required to move in by July 8th or just before anatomy immersion begings July 20th? Is the anatomy immersion mandatory?

What happens if we get taken off the waitlist very late in June or early July? Are we required to move in by July 8th or just before anatomy immersion begings July 20th? Is the anatomy immersion mandatory?
You'd need to be there for orientation, primary care week, and the immersion. All of those events are mandatory. We had someone who came off the waitlist only a few days before last year and had to scramble to make arrangements, but they made it work.

Last edited:
Congratulations! Which campus are you going to?

Haha, it's ok. I live up in Cleveland so I'm sure the Athens ppl can give better answers, but I've used padmapper.com and found it helpful. Good luck!

Did anyone on the waitlist receive a form in the mail for your vaccine records?