Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received a phone call weeks ago from OU-HCOM about my secondary not being received by the school and if I need assistance with the secondary. I read off of their instructions that they will not remind applicants about deadlines; did anyone else get this call?

I didn't send it in, by the way. :naughty:

Wow that's quite rude

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow that's quite rude

I was thinking the same thing. That was a pretty presumptuous comment. Your user icon perfectly sums up my face when I read that (minus the bat costume).

I was thinking the same thing. That was a pretty presumptuous comment. Your user icon perfectly sums up my face when I read that (minus the bat costume).

I think he's just wondering if anyone else got a call since he had read in the instructions that they don't usually remind you.

Unless he means he reminded them politely that they weren't supposed to call...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think he's just wondering if anyone else got a call since he had read in the instructions that they don't usually remind you.

I could be wrong (I hope I am) since it's difficult to figure out people's intentions from a computer screen. I just thought the emoticon made the rest of the post sarcastic, especially since he/she doesn't plan on applying here.

Ya....I honestly don't see anything wrong with what he said....its definitely not rude. So he didn't want/plan on submitting the secondary? Quite a lot of people submit the primary and opt out of the secondary.

Yeah, I'm just very surprised (plus flattered and slightly suspicious) that they even bothered to call. But I'm not about to be "that guy" and spoil a potentially well-meaning phone call.

I could be wrong (I hope I am) since it's difficult to figure out people's intentions from a computer screen. I just thought the emoticon made the rest of the post sarcastic, especially since he/she doesn't plan on applying here.

I was just poking fun at my stubborn decision to not finish the secondary no matter what happens, haha! While picking schools on AACOMAS, I failed to read the fine print about OOSers and committing years to practicing in Ohio.

Yeah, I'm just very surprised (plus flattered and slightly suspicious) that they even bothered to call. But I'm not about to be "that guy" and spoil a potentially well-meaning phone call.

I was just poking fun at my stubborn decision to not finish the secondary no matter what happens, haha! While picking schools on AACOMAS, I failed to read the fine print about OOSers and committing years to practicing in Ohio.
Oh it sounded like you read the we don't contact students about deadlines back to them on the phone call

[quactually applied"nav13, post: 14814874, member: 532855"]During the interview, was there much discussion of your interest to go to an MD school? With that MCAT, that's the only reason I could think they rejected you.. maybe they felt you were going to pick an MD school?[/quotactu

I actually applied to osteopathic schools only and they knew that...

Well I was denied yesterday morning. 32mcat(p10v11b11) 3.2 cGPA 3.8 sGPA (3.9 for two years of postbacc, so good grade trend). In state. It felt as if the interview went perfectly! This was by far and away my number one school! I called to get feedback and haven't heard back yet...

Damn, that's really upsetting to hear, especially with those stats. If you don't mind me asking, were there any red flags with your app (minimal volunteering/shadowing)? I'm still waiting to hear back but didn't have the MCAT you did. Also, did you have any DO shadowing and/or a DO LOR?

Thanks. I am in state. I will send you a PM regarding stats.

Do you mind PMing me your stats/situation as well? I too am an in-stater, somewhat non-trad, currently doing a post-bac at UC and definitely planning on applying to OU next cycle.

I got an acceptance phone call as I was driving home from the interview today. First acceptance, so excited and thrilled to be in at such a great school!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got an acceptance phone call as I was driving home from the interview today. First acceptance, so excited and thrilled to be in at such a great school!
Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your stats please?

ACCEPTED!!! Couldn't be happier! OU is such a great school Can't wait to start!

Does anyone know if OU is still giving out interview invites? I've emailed admissions several times and gotten no response.

Hi Meep Meep

How many students are currently on the wait-list?

Also how many students have paid their deposit for acceptance?

Thanks!

Anyone know if the class is full at this point? Been complete since October and haven't heard anything.... :(

Just a heads up for all ITT. I called today and they said the last interview will probably be April 18. They usually send out invites about 2 weeks in advance by email, meaning at least another month of interview invites.

Does anyone have any information on the post-bac program at OU? I know it is pretty limited, but I was wondering if anyone had any info on the acceptance/process to get in?

Same here. Even sent an update letter...

Last year, the last interview date was April 19th so I don't think the class is completely full yet (they're definitely interviewing tomorrow) but they're probably wrapping it up in the next few weeks.

Does anyone have any information on the post-bac program at OU? I know it is pretty limited, but I was wondering if anyone had any info on the acceptance/process to get in?
https://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/coe-mm/post-bac.htm

I think it's geared towards URMs and people from rural Ohio. Have to interview at OUHCOM and get denied. Also, there's something called summers scholars you can check out as well. You could also call admissions and ask them about it, they've extremely helpful and easy going.

II April 18th

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
https://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/coe-mm/post-bac.htm

me think it's geared towards URMs and people from rural Ohio. Have to interview at OUHCOM and get denied. Also, thar's somethin' called summers scholars you can check out as well. You could also call admissions and ask them about it, they've extremely helpful and easy goin'.

Post bac available to under represented minorities and people from rural Ohio. If you do get accepted, you must maintain a 3.0 GPA and you'll have a guaranteed seat for the following entering class. I did Summer Scholars this past summer and am currently on the wait list praying...

Post bac available to under represented minorities and people from rural Ohio. If you do get accepted, you must maintain a 3.0 GPA and you'll have a guaranteed seat for the followin' enterin' class. me did Summer Scholars this past summer and am currently on the wait list prayin'...
I wish you luck!

Anyone else interviewing April 18th? Feels kind of surreal that my top choice has invited me for an interview. Kind of thought the application season was over for me, but I'm pleasantly surprised and grateful that it isn't.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I found out this evening that OUHCOM is interviewing through April 25th. After May 9th, wait-listed folks will begin to get called as people that have been accepted begin to go other routes. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys. I found out this evening that OUHCOM is interviewing through April 25th. After May 9th, wait-listed folks will begin to get called as people that have been accepted begin to go other routes. Good luck everyone!

lloy-christmas.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know when students interviewing on April 25th will be invited?

Accepted to OU-HCOM!! Can't wait to meet you all in July!

Accepted to OU-HCOM!! Can't wait to meet you all in July!

Congratulations!! Hopefully once the committee begins looking at the wait listed folks, I'll be able to join you!

anyone have any updates regarding the alternate/wait list? How many students are on it? Is the class full already? Have they begun looking at the alternate list?

anyone have any updates regarding the alternate/wait list? How many students are on it? Is the class full already? Have they begun looking at the alternate list?
After speaking with Dr. Schriner, he told me that the committee will be getting together May 8th to discuss and rank the wait list. From what I understood, the class is full as of last Friday. Waitlisted folks will be called as people that have been accepted begin to reject or leave. I have no clue how many people are on the wait list but my guess is maybe 100 or so?

Any movements?
After speaking with Dr. Schriner, he told me that the committee will be getting together May 8th to discuss and rank the wait list. From what I understood, the class is full as of last Friday. Waitlisted folks will be called as people that have been accepted begin to reject or leave. I have no clue how many people are on the wait list but my guess is maybe 100 or so?

hey all. has anyone heard of any movement or anything at all regarding alternate list/if class is full

Still silence. Has anyone heard of anything in regards to the alternate list?

Does anyone know if the alternate list is moving/projected to move? I would think that it would be by now since the class is larger than in previous years?

I spoke with the admissions office a few days ago and they said there has been very little movement so far. They were thinking it would really pick up by the end of this week and next week. I've been getting antsy myself but keep telling myself that if it's meant to be it will happen. Good luck to you all and let me know if I can help with anything else.

Would any waitlisters mind sharing their stats? I'm applying this cycle with "underdog"-type stats

Does anyone know what the Mcat/gpa stats were for the incoming Dublin class. Dubliners feel free to chime in:happy:

Same MCAT s and GPA for both campuses. Dublin campus is more for people that want to stay on central Ohio and want to do family medicine. All interviews go through the main Athens campus.

Same MCAT s and GPA for both campuses. Dublin campus is more for people that want to stay on central Ohio and want to do family medicine. All interviews go through the main Athens campus.
Really? :/ so when the new campus opens up in warrensville does that mean it will be the same competitiveness across all three campuses. If I specify that I'd prefer warrensville would I be competing against only other people who specified warrensville or would I be competing with all OUHCOM applicant regardless of where they specified?