Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First year with 2 campuses!
good luck to all

Stats I was given by an ADCOM member:

3.64 science and 27 MCAT

-not sure what they are looking for in regards to cGPA, but I'd guess at least a 3.5

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ohio Resident here. Recently visited OUHCOM and loved the campus. Made me a little sad I chose OSU for undergrad. Lol

Will be applying here this season! Good luck to everyone :)

Hey guys! I was accepted here as an out-of-state student, and I'd be happy to answer any questions about this school's application process/interview day/etc. Good luck!

Do you think stats for OOS have to be significantly higher than their average?
28/3.8 here wondering if I would stand a good shot. Really hoping for this school..

28/3.8 here wondering if I would stand a good shot. Really hoping for this school..

I was wondering the same thing 3.55/31M.

Also, does anyone know how much the buy out option is for the school?

I think you'd be in good shape. I applied super early and didn't get an interview until January, but it all worked out.

What are you guys talking about a buy out option?

Applying here as well. MI resident, though. :luck:

What are you guys talking about a buy out option?

Applying here as well. MI resident, though. :luck:

If you are an OOS student, there is a 5yr contract--you agree to work in the state of OH for 5 years after you graduate (in some cases, residency years count toward this 5 years). There is an option to "buy out" of the contract. There is also an OOS Scholars program that, if you get it, you do not have to adhere to the 5yr contract.

If you are an OOS student, there is a 5yr contract--you agree to work in the state of OH for 5 years after you graduate (in some cases, residency years count toward this 5 years). There is an option to "buy out" of the contract. There is also an OOS Scholars program that, if you get it, you do not have to adhere to the 5yr contract.

I figured that's what it was about but wanted clarification. :)

That's cool. Ohio isn't too bad. I live five minutes away from the border so I spend half of my life there practically anyway. I would love to work at Toledo, Flower, or especially St. V's :love:.

Members don't see this ad :)
I figured that's what it was about but wanted clarification. :)

That's cool. Ohio isn't too bad. I live five minutes away from the border so I spend half of my life there practically anyway. I would love to work at Toledo, Flower, or especially St. V's :love:.

Hello from deep inside Toledo Hospital! Toledo and Flower are nice places to work. We don't go to V's, but I wish we did. That's where the knife and gun club meets.

That's funny about your situation, though. I'm pretty much on the opposite side of the border and had to pay OOS for UofM undergrad :(

I am also from NW Ohio... Crazy how we all lived so close and have probably never met.

Hello from deep inside Toledo Hospital! Toledo and Flower are nice places to work. We don't go to V's, but I wish we did. That's where the knife and gun club meets.

That's funny about your situation, though. I'm pretty much on the opposite side of the border and had to pay OOS for UofM undergrad :(

Yikes, that would be steep tuition! I can get IS tuition for UT for being a Monroe County resident.

I did my peds clinicals at Toledo. I liked it. I didn't like being a pt at Toledo, however. I went to nursing school with the manager of psych at Flower, and OB was okay when I was a doula for a friend. I loved St.V.'s when I had paramedic clinicals. Holy cow. I'd go home and watch the news and had already met those people. I saw the craziest things ever. I was a pt on the postpartum unit for a month last summer while I had a PEG tube and got TPN. The nurses were wonderful (I still talk to them) and the docs were great. For being locked in an area so long (OB units are locked for safety), I came out okay. They even offered to have me scrap book with the nuns, but I was too sick and that creeped me out a little bit. Oh, the rule here is that a red light on Cherry Street does not mean stop...it means proceed slowly. However, I have a "sista from another motha" who grew up around there and she said that it is nothing to worry about, lol.

Hey, any word on if you guys are buying out Mercy in Monroe? There have been rumors going around about maybe Toledo buying/merging with us.

Wow...might rethink this one...Ohio isn't bad, I just don't know if I want to spend 5 years there and establish myself.

Hey, any word on if you guys are buying out Mercy in Monroe? There have been rumors going around about maybe Toledo buying/merging with us.

Ha I have no idea. We're not actually promedica employees, so I don't care/tune out the gossip.

Ha I have no idea. We're not actually promedica employees, so I don't care/tune out the gossip.

I understand. I'm not much into the gossip either except that I know if Promedica buys us out, I'm out of a job so that kind of stinks (Promedica doesn't have case management in the ER and that is what I do). My hospital is one of the last stand alone facilities in the area, and with recent changes in reimbursement and such, we will be unable to maintain ourselves much longer. This process has been good in a way, because now I'm really attuned to how what I do in the ER makes the difference between thousands of dollars for each patient that is admitted. The kind of money "played with" is really crazy and mind blowing for me...just a peon, lol.

This is my #1 choice school! I got to spend the day yesterday at a conference at Grandview Hospital in Dayton, and heard presentations by a lot of DOs from both Grandview and Doctor's Hospital in Columbus. I think one of the most exciting things about OU is the CORE system that they use for clinical rotations and residencies. http://www.ohiocore.org/

Count Me In.

3.7 cGPA
3.6 sGPA
26 MCAT

From the Cleveland Area.

Any clue if there is a preferance given to midwest applicants?

I don't really think that there is; given their OOS stats from the previous cycle, only about 20 or so (matriculating) OOS students make up the class. I applied last cycle super early, thought I was a great candidate for them, and didn't get an II until January, when I had almost given up on them. I was the only OOS applicant on my interview day. From my experience and reading last year's thread, I think they're pretty tough on OOS applicants in general.

I don't really think that there is; given their OOS stats from the previous cycle, only about 20 or so (matriculating) OOS students make up the class. I applied last cycle super early, thought I was a great candidate for them, and didn't get an II until January, when I had almost given up on them. I was the only OOS applicant on my interview day. From my experience and reading last year's thread, I think they're pretty tough on OOS applicants in general.

Yeah its definitely an uphill battle for us..

Ohio Resident here. Recently visited OUHCOM and loved the campus. Made me a little sad I chose OSU for undergrad. Lol
Yeah you dun goofed :p. Go bobcats!
Based on those numbers your chances are good assuming all your other ducks are in a row. Apply early and make sure they know you want to be there.
I was wondering the same thing 3.55/31M.

Also, does anyone know how much the buy out option is for the school?
Strong mcat. Same as above, your numbers are pretty good. Apply early and make sure they know you want to be there.
Count Me In.

3.7 cGPA
3.6 sGPA
26 MCAT

From the Cleveland Area.
Looking good stats wise. Apply early. Go Tribe!
Highly, highly doubtful. Your numbers are pretty good so make sure you apply asap and make sure they know how much you want to be there.

I would seriously recommend everyone try to visit the school over the summer. When the admissions office can put a face to your name that is always a positive.

I would seriously recommend everyone try to visit the school over the summer. When the admissions office can put a face to your name that is always a positive.

I was under the impression that you cannot visit if you are applying that cycle? but you can visit before or after?

edit: On the website it states they recommend you wait to see if you get an interview? How long should we wait?

Last edited:
I was under the impression that you cannot visit if you are applying that cycle? but you can visit before or after?

edit: On the website it states they recommend you wait to see if you get an interview? How long should we wait?

Good question, I don't know the answer. I guess when I popped in to talk to Dr.Schriner it was prior to the cycle starting last year. Call the office and see.

As for how long you will wait, there is no answer. They start interviews sometime in September and tend to conclude in march sometime. All depends on your application.

Hello All,

Your colleagues are correct by saying it is good to visit us before you apply. We can be pretty flexible in the summer providing visits for those who have applied, but when our travel and interview season start in September, it is very difficult for us to schedule time. We keep up a pretty hectic pace all the way through April, so the best times to schedule a visit are now through mid-September.

For those with questions about the out-of-state contract....The total for the buyout option can be a little bit of an unknown. The formula for calculating the final amount is based on what'[s called the state's share of instruction (SSI) for you during your four years as an OU-HCOM student. Because the state's share of instruction changes from year to year (usually decreasing), we don't really know the full amount until your graduation. Once the total SSI has been calculated, the out-of-state student will pay half of that amount as the "buyout" price. Right now it is around $50,000.

Just wanted to throw this out for the out-of-staters on the board... We are increasing our class size to 190 for Fall 2014. This will give us a little more flexibility to take more non-Ohio residents. :)

Just wanted to throw this out for the out-of-staters on the board... We are increasing our class size to 190 for Fall 2014. This will give us a little more flexibility to take more non-Ohio residents. :)

Is this referring to the Dublin branch seats or are you adding seats to Athens as well?

Does anyone know how the application process will work since there are 2 campuses now?

Do you select a preference when you apply?

I talked to admissions and they stated that you choose your preference. You will have a seat in Athens even if you're admitted to Dublin as I understood it.

I am an OOS applicant who's looking into HPSP. How would the contract work if I were to be offered the scholarship?

Ohio resident, hopeful of getting admitted to this school, especially the dublin campus. Its at the top of my list :love:

Stats:
sGPA - 3.20
cGPA - 3.50
Previous MCAT - 22 (But will be retaking it this july :xf: )

Do you guys think that these are stats worthy of a future OUCHOM student ?

Last edited:
Sgpa is on the low end but not a deal breaker necessarily. Upward grade trend? That mcat will have to be higher.

My grade trend is pretty even throughout, no lowering trends and maybe some upward trends here and there. I finished my degree in 3 years (actually 2.5 if you count out the two unnecessary breaks that I had to take), will this be a positive or a negative on my application.

How much higher do you think the MCAT has to be ? 24? 26?

Don't think it's positively or negatively viewed if you finished your degree early. 26 would be better but really aim as high as you can. The average mcat for ouhcom is a 26 or 27 last time I remember seeing it, so keep that in mind.

Don't think it's positively or negatively viewed if you finished your degree early. 26 would be better but really aim as high as you can. The average mcat for ouhcom is a 26 or 27 last time I remember seeing it, so keep that in mind.

Agreed, finishing early is probably neither a positive or negative unless it appears that you rushed through the process. I would anticipate being ready to defend your choice though, regardless.
And OU-HCOMs MCAT was over 27 so I recommend shooting for that range

Agreed, finishing early is probably neither a positive or negative unless it appears that you rushed through the process. I would anticipate being ready to defend your choice though, regardless.
And OU-HCOMs MCAT was over 27 so I recommend shooting for that range

Thanks to both of you guys !

I agree with being able to defend your choice. Don't panic though, I would imagine you did it for financial reasons and as long as you didn't take shortcuts or anything I can't see an adcom looking upon financial responsibility as anything but a positive.

Any idea what the timeline is like? When they will be sending out secondaries/starting interviews?

Any idea what the timeline is like? When they will be sending out secondaries/starting interviews?
We will begin sending secondary applications via email soon after we get our first download of applications from AACOMAS. We are anticipating that to be mid-June. We will most likely begin inviting people for interviews in mid to late August with actual interviews for entrance in 2014 beginning around the third week of September.

Everyone will interview in Athens this year, even if they are applying for a spot in Dublin. Someone had asked a question about where the increase in seats were, so I wanted to answer than by saying we will still have 140 in Athens. The 50 new seats are all for Dublin.

Everyone will interview in Athens this year, even if they are applying for a spot in Dublin. Someone had asked a question about where the increase in seats were, so I wanted to answer than by saying we will still have 140 in Athens. The 50 new seats are all for Dublin.

I love it when schools increase their class size, especially when there's only one Osteo school in Ohio and I want to go to an IS school. :)

There is a note in this same thread by an adcom from OU that said the preference is strong for Ohio residents.

I just received an email saying

"The Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM) has received your primary application from the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS). Your application will go through an initial review to determine your status. Secondary application materials, if eligible, and initial status information, will be sent to the e-mail address listed in your AACOMAS application."

Its not really much to go off of, but I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!

I sent a primary to this school but with the strong Ohio bias should I even bother to send a secondary?

3.68c/3.64s/25 MCAT

Illinois resident

OU-HCOM certainly has a strong in-state bias, but if you have strong ECs or good healthcare experience, I'd go for it.

Last edited: