Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received a confirmation email today from ou-hcom at 12:53 pm EST.

Me too! Super excited! This is my first email of the season (aside from accomas and amcas of course).

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know you're applying to the right school when you're excited to write two essays and stand in line at the post office!

Those who received secondaries already: when were you verified? I was verified on 6/21 and am hoping to hear soon

can you guys post the secondary questions?

I think it is pretty much the same as last year.... with the exception of the Dublin branch essay.

The Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine is inter
ested in finding out more about
you as an applicant. To enable us to gain a better understanding of your activities, working experiences, and personal philosophy and their relationship to osteopathic medicine, you are asked to complete a personal statement. Please be open, candid and honest in your responses. Feel free to draw on your school
experiences, extra-curricular activities, or working experience as a basis for your answers.
All applicants are required to write a personal essay indicating why you wish to become an osteopathic
physician; why you wish to attend the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine; and
any additional information you feel the selection committee should know about you.
*Applicants indicating Columbus as a preference must write an additional personal essay detailing their
interest in studying and training in central Ohio; desire for primary care medicine; and intent to remain
in central Ohio for practice.

I think it is pretty much the same as last year.... with the exception of the Dublin branch essay.

The Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine is inter
ested in finding out more about
you as an applicant. To enable us to gain a better understanding of your activities, working experiences, and personal philosophy and their relationship to osteopathic medicine, you are asked to complete a personal statement. Please be open, candid and honest in your responses. Feel free to draw on your school
experiences, extra-curricular activities, or working experience as a basis for your answers.
All applicants are required to write a personal essay indicating why you wish to become an osteopathic
physician; why you wish to attend the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine; and
any additional information you feel the selection committee should know about you.
*Applicants indicating Columbus as a preference must write an additional personal essay detailing their
interest in studying and training in central Ohio; desire for primary care medicine; and intent to remain
in central Ohio for practice.

thank youu!

Does anyone know the % of out-of-state applicants they accept?
I'm out of state and they made me sign a commitment contract, but I am wondering how many seats they save for out-of-state out of the 139 they have. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the % of out-of-state applicants they accept?
I'm out of state and they made me sign a commitment contract, but I am wondering how many seats they save for out-of-state out of the 139 they have. Thanks!

They are accepting 190 total this year, and in the past, I think their website said about 17-19% are OOS. I just read that the other day so I don't know of they have some magic number or how they choose, but hopefully that helps

EDIT: I misread, and the 19% has to do with Minority students. Whoops, sorry for the bad info!

Last edited:
I believe last year the OOS number was around 20-22 students for a class of 150.

I believe last year the OOS number was around 20-22 students for a class of 150.

WHY WOULD YOU TELL ME THIS?!? Now I just want to kill all the other OOS applicants on this thread to increase my chances :smuggrin:... no really though ;)

Hi All, just wanted to help clarify that up to 20% of our entering class of 190 can be from out of state. Best of luck to everyone and please don't hesitate to contact us at 1.800.345.1560 or [email protected].

So 38 possible spots. Thanks for the info!

OOS. Do I have a shot here with 3.6/31?

Not too thrilled about two intense essays! Time for the struggle of trying to sound unique without being cliche.

What are you guys writing for the "any additional information" part of the essay?

Should we just express further interest in Ohio or can we use it to talk about what we have been up to since graduation?

I am an OOS applicant who's looking into HPSP. How would the contract work if I were to be offered the scholarship?

The government contract supersedes the 5 year Ohio contract. I'm an OOS, HPSP first year if you have any questions.

Applying this cycle as well. OU Undergrad.

3.47 sGPA and 3.47 cGPA with a 29 MCAT

However, I did all my BCPM work post-bacc and got a 3.88 sGPA and 3.89 cGPA comprised of 2 semesters of Physics/Bio/Orgo/Chem/Microbio/A&P/ each.

Bio1/2: A/A
Chem1/2: A/B
Orgo 1/2: A/A
Physics 1/2: A-/A
A&P1/2: A/A
Micro: A-
Stats: A

Will they take that into consideration, or will those lower undergrad scores hurt me?

OUHCOM is one of my top schools that im applying right now. I went to private school in Cleveland, OH for undergrad and I know an alum who just recently graduated from OUHCOM.

I am out of state applicant but just wondering, if I can apply to be a resident after first year so that I can pay in-state tuition? And would this plan be interfered if I sign that OOS contract?

So now that we know the essays, my question is what makes these essays different than the standard personal statement we all filled out under the primary application? It appears to be exactly the same?

So now that we know the essays, my question is what makes these essays different than the standard personal statement we all filled out under the primary application? It appears to be exactly the same?

We'd like for you to be more specific about why you think you are a good fit for OU-HCOM and how you can help us achieve our mission.

OUHCOM is one of my top schools that im applying right now. I went to private school in Cleveland, OH for undergrad and I know an alum who just recently graduated from OUHCOM.

I am out of state applicant but just wondering, if I can apply to be a resident after first year so that I can pay in-state tuition? And would this plan be interfered if I sign that OOS contract?

Great question! Yes, you can apply for Ohio residency for tuition purposes once you begin school here. If approved, you would pay in-state tuition for years 2-4. The out of state contract will still be in effect as you were a non-Ohio resident at the time of application.

Applying this cycle as well. OU Undergrad.

3.47 sGPA and 3.47 cGPA with a 29 MCAT

However, I did all my BCPM work post-bacc and got a 3.88 sGPA and 3.89 cGPA comprised of 2 semesters of Physics/Bio/Orgo/Chem/Microbio/A&P/ each.

Bio1/2: A/A
Chem1/2: A/B
Orgo 1/2: A/A
Physics 1/2: A-/A
A&P1/2: A/A
Micro: A-
Stats: A

Will they take that into consideration, or will those lower undergrad scores hurt me?

We will look at everything, but upward grade trends are very important and we do give more consideration to your most recent coursework. :)

Will any of these classes satisfy OU-HCOM's behavioral science requirement? Will they substitute? Has anyone else had concerns here?

-Micro Economics
-Engineering Economy
-Business Professional Speaking
-Industrial Management
-Fundamentals of Speech

Thank you!

For those who already received their secondaries,

Just wondering, was there a character limit on the secondary essay? I think I looked at last year's thread and I remember reading somewhere that the space available was about 3/4 of a page. I haven't received it yet but I wanted to get a head start on the essays.

If I remember correctly I think they just said a one page essay, but I am not sure. I'd just go over the secondary instructions with a fine toothed comb if you're concerned. I think mine was a page though and I am sure I didn't go over the limit.

The government contract supersedes the 5 year Ohio contract. I'm an OOS, HPSP first year if you have any questions.
I was told so many things that it's hard to know what's correct. I'm looking to apply for an Air Force HPSP scholarship. One place, I read you can't get a scholarship if you're OOS at OU-HCOM. Another place says that you can get one, but after your service you have to return to Ohio to fulfill your 5 years. Either way, I would have to send in the contract with the secondary and there's nothing about HPSP which makes me nervous.

My girlfriend is an Air Force DO in Ohio. Talking with her, she said that I would most likely go to Dayton or San Antonio if I did primary care which is what interests me. I have no problems being in Ohio if that's where I'm stationed. I just don't want to go back if I decide to make a career out of the military.

Initially, I planned to apply to be considered for the Dublin campus so that I could be close to her. We met up in Columbus to check out the area, and I enjoyed it. She works with a DO from OU-HCOM who raves about the school. But, with all of this up in the air, the conflicting information and the looming contract, we find ourselves very hesitant about a further intent to apply.

Your colleague is correct about the length of the secondary being around one page. Since it is not a truly electronic document that you submit (meaning you still have to print it out and send it on paper), we don't limit anyone to a specific character count.

Will any of these classes satisfy OU-HCOM's behavioral science requirement? Will they substitute? Has anyone else had concerns here?

-Micro Economics
-Engineering Economy
-Business Professional Speaking
-Industrial Management
-Fundamentals of Speech

Thank you!

Thanks for posting a question about what fulfills the behavioral science requirement. Your institution actually defines what constitutes a behavioral science course by virtue of what you have to take to complete your bachelor's degree. Any liberal arts school will require some sort of behavioral/social science as part of the general education requirements, so whatever courses your institution allows to fulfill that requirement for graduation, we will also consider those as filling our behavioral science requirement (with grades of "C" or better, of course).

The most common courses that meet the requirement are psychology, sociology, anthropology, but we have also accepted ethics and other courses based on the course description and what it states in your college catalog as fulfillment of a general education requirement. Of the courses you've listed above, none seem to be overtly related to behavioral science, but if you can show us through your college catalog that these courses satisfy that part of your general education core, then we will accept them as such.

I was told so many things that it's hard to know what's correct. I'm looking to apply for an Air Force HPSP scholarship. One place, I read you can't get a scholarship if you're OOS at OU-HCOM. Another place says that you can get one, but after your service you have to return to Ohio to fulfill your 5 years. Either way, I would have to send in the contract with the secondary and there's nothing about HPSP which makes me nervous.

My girlfriend is an Air Force DO in Ohio. Talking with her, she said that I would most likely go to Dayton or San Antonio if I did primary care which is what interests me. I have no problems being in Ohio if that's where I'm stationed. I just don't want to go back if I decide to make a career out of the military.

Initially, I planned to apply to be considered for the Dublin campus so that I could be close to her. We met up in Columbus to check out the area, and I enjoyed it. She works with a DO from OU-HCOM who raves about the school. But, with all of this up in the air, the conflicting information and the looming contract, we find ourselves very hesitant about a further intent to apply.

I'm going to consult with our assistant dean of admissions on your question and will post a definitive answer soon.

Meep Meep, can you tell us how many OOS applicants the school has?

Sure! :) Please keep in mind that this could always change, but we usually see anywhere from 3,200 to 3,400.

Thanks meep meep!, I guess I should have been more specific; I was wondering how many secondary applications you received.

Aloha:

OOS Secondary received -- 3.98 sGPA / 3.51 cGPA 26R (7.26 retake). For my other fellow OOS'ers, I'll keep you updated. Good luck and stay strong!

Hey guys, I'm an OOS applicant. My primary was released on 7/11, but I heard nothing from this school. When should I expect a secondary? Does everyone receive it? Or they reject is it by snail mail?

Hey guys, I'm an OOS applicant. My primary was released on 7/11, but I heard nothing from this school. When should I expect a secondary? Does everyone receive it? Or they reject is it by snail mail?

mine was released on the 4th and i got it last thursday. so i think you might get it this week (im OOS too).

Thanks. Do they screen or does everyone receive it?

The email they send out says that a screening is done. I got my secondary a week after my AACOMAS was release to the school.

Thanks meep meep!, I guess I should have been more specific; I was wondering how many secondary applications you received.

Ah, yes. That is a different number altogether. We will send out around 3,000 to 3,200 secondary applications to OOS'ers. Not all who apply are meeting our out of state threshold of either a 3.25 natural science gpa or 24 MCAT, so there is always a portion that we have to immediately reject. All Ohio applicants automatically get a secondary application, so the total we send hovers between 3,800 and 4,000

Let me know if I'm still not getting at your question.:)

D'oh! After I posted this I realized that I did not really answer your question at all. We receive around 3,800 completed applications each year. That includes OOS and in-state.

Last edited:
Ah, yes. That is a different number altogether. We will send out around 3,000 to 3,200 secondary applications to OOS'ers. Not all who apply are meeting our out of state threshold of either a 3.25 natural science gpa or 24 MCAT, so there is always a portion that we have to immediately reject. All Ohio applicants automatically get a secondary application, so the total we send hovers between 3,800 and 4,000

Let me know if I'm still not getting at your question.:)

D'oh! After I posted this I realized that I did not really answer your question at all. We receive around 3,800 completed applications each year. That includes OOS and in-state.

Crystal clear, that's a lot of applications. Thank you very much roadrunner. :)

Okay all you who have applied to OU or been accepted in past, a couple questions.

1) Where are you currently in the process? I received second app request 7/12. Hope to complete and submit NLT 7/22 (dont you agree, essays are fun)

2) Do you think I have an chance @ OU? Hoping at least for an interview so I can plead my case :)

Ohio resident
3.4 science GPA
3.3 overall GPA
Trend better last two years of undergrad (more like ~ 3.6 overall GPA)
MCAT 33
Microbiology undergrad
100+ hours volunteering
50+ hours shadowing
URM research experience
lots of part time jobs during undergrad

Any help or thoughts are appreciated. Wow does it have to be this stressful??

Okay all you who have applied to OU or been accepted in past, a couple questions.

1) Where are you currently in the process? I received second app request 7/12. Hope to complete and submit NLT 7/22 (dont you agree, essays are fun)

2) Do you think I have an chance @ OU? Hoping at least for an interview so I can plead my case :)

Ohio resident
3.4 science GPA
3.3 overall GPA
Trend better last two years of undergrad (more like ~ 3.6 overall GPA)
MCAT 33
Microbiology undergrad
100+ hours volunteering
50+ hours shadowing
URM research experience
lots of part time jobs during undergrad

Any help or thoughts are appreciated. Wow does it have to be this stressful??

You'll be fine. Your MCAT is great and you have an upward trend on your grades.

thanks for the encouragement. Now that I am FINALLY into the process I really start second guessing things. Guess thats natural.

thanks for the encouragement. Now that I am FINALLY into the process I really start second guessing things. Guess thats natural.

For sure. Some days I feel like I have decent odds and then the next I feel like there's no way I'll ever get in. Hang in there, good luck!