Official UTSW c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P.S. I bought by 2 bd/2 bath condo for $92k and I know a great realtor in case anyone hasn't found one yet.

Also, realtors can help you rent a house or rent someone's condo - and that can be a good option for some.

Members don't see this ad.

I have nothing constructive to add, just that I shouldn't have to look on the 2nd page for this thread!

yikes, this thread is dying. I have 2 1/2 weeks to go before I become a Dallasite... is that what folks there call themselves?

I'm pretty happy that my only "cool" relatives live in the Dallas area. Finally, being near family that won't drive me nuts ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
potato51 said:
yikes, this thread is dying. I have 2 1/2 weeks to go before I become a Dallasite... is that what folks there call themselves?

I'm pretty happy that my only "cool" relatives live in the Dallas area. Finally, being near family that won't drive me nuts ;)

Hey ya'all (so sweet to say that, coming from the east coast):

Looks like as of now Ill be attending UTSW in the Fall! I'm a TX resident, but currently work at a think-tank in Manhattan (yeah, the move from Manhattan to Dallas will be interesting). I had some questions that I can't seem to find answers to:

1) Where the heck should I live? I unfortunately couldnt make it to MSO weekend! I went to college in NYC and have worked here for a year, so living in a "happening" part of town will probably make me the most sane. I've heard downtown/uptown/highland park are all good? I dont know squat about Dallas (but if u want to know where to live in Manhattan, I'm an expert :laugh: )

2) Do yaall think 1.5/2 weeks is going to be enough to haul myself and my stuff from nyc --> dallas? Unfortunately, I think that's all the time I'll have before med school starts! eeks! :scared:

3) How competitive is it really? I sorta just ranked UTSW first because it's a top 20 school, not giving much thought to the whole "where will I be happy" factor. I know there are grades/class rankings/GPAs!/and curves; will this make life utterly miserable?

4) Hmm guess that's it. I was strongly considering deferring for 1 yr, but heck, I can't wait to begin grad school (the working world is killing me!!)

Thanks ya'all! How was MS0 weekend? Anyone doing this summer research thing? Man I need to get my act together and start getting organized!

I don't know anything about dallas either so sorry, nothing to add. I was wondering what everyone has done with fin aid so far? Just accept the package? What about getting a lender etc.? I'm assuming they are sending us some more info...

dashbddrumr said:
I don't know anything about dallas either so sorry, nothing to add. I was wondering what everyone has done with fin aid so far? Just accept the package? What about getting a lender etc.? I'm assuming they are sending us some more info...
I accepted everything but reduced my unsubsidized. As for lenders, I think we choose those closer to registration time.

Hey Meso,

I remember you were still waiting on a couple schools from the pre-allo board. Good luck with those, but meanwhile Dallas is still an awesome choice.

MesoCompound said:
1) Where the heck should I live? I unfortunately couldnt make it to MSO weekend! I went to college in NYC and have worked here for a year, so living in a "happening" part of town will probably make me the most sane. I've heard downtown/uptown/highland park are all good? I dont know squat about Dallas (but if u want to know where to live in Manhattan, I'm an expert :laugh: )

The "happening" part of Dallas is still pretty boring relative to NYC I'm sure, but it probably is the Uptown section you want to look for, though I don't know what exactly that is.

Good to know we have a NYC expert here. I might have to pick your brain should I ever move there.

2) Do yaall think 1.5/2 weeks is going to be enough to haul myself and my stuff from nyc --> dallas? Unfortunately, I think that's all the time I'll have before med school starts! eeks! :scared:

I don't know much about your question about moving from NYC to Dallas so I'll go to #3....

3) How competitive is it really? I sorta just ranked UTSW first because it's a top 20 school, not giving much thought to the whole "where will I be happy" factor. I know there are grades/class rankings/GPAs!/and curves; will this make life utterly miserable?

the way I understand it is, you'll have students that are way fanatical about grades, but the atmosphere/interaction between students is pretty cooperative. But since the class is large, you'll see your share of laid back easygoing types too.

Residency programs care nada about grades and GPA, but they look for class rank. And "technically" there is no curve. The tests are made in a way that naturally results in a bell curve distribution of grades, but I don't think a curve is set or that there is a quota on how many people get A's and B's . You still get the grade you earn, except getting it might be harder... right, UTSW folk?

4) Hmm guess that's it. I was strongly considering deferring for 1 yr, but heck, I can't wait to begin grad school (the working world is killing me!!)

I'm excited too - I'm tired of working for nothing (like residency isn't the same). I hear the four years go by quick though.

Thanks ya'all! How was MS0 weekend? Anyone doing this summer research thing? Man I need to get my act together and start getting organized!

yeah, I'm one of the nuts who's doing research apparently. your plan sounds alright. hope you have time to take a break though. see ya in August~~

Hey Meso! Are you definite on UTSW?

MesoCompound said:
Hey ya'all (so sweet to say that, coming from the east coast):

When I moved to the metroplex before undergrad, I moved 4 days before school started. It's definitely doable. It's just a little stressful and you'll still be settling in when school starts.

UTSW has its share of gunners. It's a top 20 school with grades; I don't see how it can be otherwise. However, like potato said, it's a fairly big class, and I'm sure everyone can find their niche. And there's almost guaranteed to be a few, easygoing types who just want to go into primary care like me. Now about those derm wannabes... *coughcough*

How was MS0 weekend? Anyone doing this summer research thing? Man I need to get my act together and start getting organized!

I'm doing summer research, because my travel plans fell through and I didn't want to sit at home all summer. Plus, I like being a lab rat.

Lyricist said:
UTSW has its share of gunners. It's a top 20 school with grades; I don't see how it can be otherwise. However, like potato said, it's a fairly big class, and I'm sure everyone can find their niche. And there's almost guaranteed to be a few, easygoing types who just want to go into primary care like me. Now about those derm wannabes... *coughcough*

yeah, tell me about it... *whistles, looks around nervously*

j/k... I think the class will be a little like my high school. You'll have every kind of group. It's been my experience that the highest achievers are actually the easygoing chill types who work hard but have fun, while the nutcases are the ones who absolutely have to torture themselves to get a decent grade. I'm probably somewhere in between ;)

I'm doing summer research, because my travel plans fell through and I didn't want to sit at home all summer. Plus, I like being a lab rat.

speaking of which, has anyone gotten anymore information on summer research? Isn't there supposed to be an orientation and information on training and such?

potato51 said:
yeah, tell me about it... *whistles, looks around nervously*

j/k... I think the class will be a little like my high school. You'll have every kind of group. It's been my experience that the highest achievers are actually the easygoing chill types who work hard but have fun, while the nutcases are the ones who absolutely have to torture themselves to get a decent grade. I'm probably somewhere in between ;)

speaking of which, has anyone gotten anymore information on summer research? Isn't there supposed to be an orientation and information on training and such?

Hey guys-

Thanks for the reply! Er I may be easygoing and chill (a little too much), but if you wish to infer from that that I'm a "high achiever", by all means go ahead :D

UTSW looks like we're I'll be. It just makes the most sense: great, great school, for such a great, great cost! And it's an opportunity to come home - I'm sick of the east coast.

Yeah I've heard uptown is the place to be. Honestly, the only two places I've ever looked for apartments were Boston and NYC. I'm not sure how the process works; I hope in 2 weeks I can get everything done! (I've done moves in much less time!)

I havent received any financial aid info, but I did get a nifty "Alum" scholarship (ie your already ridicously cheap TX tuition is going to be even more ridiciously cheap - which certainly helps the truly, truly financially constrained (a nice euphemism for I'm so dang poor!))

NYC rocks; I'm really going to miss this place! If you need any advice about anything regarding this wonderful city, I'm your point man!

Are yaall buying a new labtop or anything? remember in like 3rd grade, when you'd go to Randalls or Kroger or something, and, sitting all nice and pretty in the "school supply" section was a "Third Grade Packet" with everything you needed! I wish they had one of those for med school!

Man I've been outta school for 3 years and am kinda nervous about starting up again (and I wasn't a science major for that matter!). I'm also a bit worried how much damage to my brain I've done from alcohol consumption! :scared:

MesoCompound said:
UTSW looks like we're I'll be. It just makes the most sense: great, great school, for such a great, great cost! And it's an opportunity to come home - I'm sick of the east coast.

I can understand that. I'm the opposite right now. I love Texas, but I've lived here too long and want to try a new area of the country long enough to get sick of it and return to Texas again, probably Austin.

I havent received any financial aid info, but I did get a nifty "Alum" scholarship (ie your already ridicously cheap TX tuition is going to be even more ridiciously cheap - which certainly helps the truly, truly financially constrained (a nice euphemism for I'm so dang poor!))

sweet... if my ass is gonna be kicked the next four years, I wanna pay as little as possible too.

Are yaall buying a new labtop or anything? remember in like 3rd grade, when you'd go to Randalls or Kroger or something, and, sitting all nice and pretty in the "school supply" section was a "Third Grade Packet" with everything you needed! I wish they had one of those for med school!

I'm getting a new laptop. Maybe a cheap Dell. I know non-Macs tend to break down more often, but I prefer their feel and I've had little trouble with them personally.

Wouldn't it be a trip if they did have "med school supply" sections at the local stores? Put 'em next to the 3rd grade supplies. Poor 8-year old would be looking for crayons and he'd find cadaver dissection manuals instead.

Man I've been outta school for 3 years and am kinda nervous about starting up again (and I wasn't a science major for that matter!). I'm also a bit worried how much damage to my brain I've done from alcohol consumption! :scared:

I know what you mean - it's been four years for me. The way I see it, no one is truly prepared for med school anyway so we're on equal footing with the rest. At least you know what a meso compound is, unlike I (took the MCAT 5 years ago).

As for alcohol consumption, I'm afraid I've done damage to my brain from not consuming enough of the good stuff.

Hey guys,
I know its a few weeks away. But I definitely have moving on my mind. I'm doing summer research. I don't know if we'll meet naturally through the program, or just be off in our labs. But in any case I'd love to get together with you guys and have a drink, or otherwise. Lyricist, Potato or anyone else thats going to be there over the summer. I think that would be a good plan. 3 more weeks till dallas for me. Thats some exciting stuff.

bobito said:
Hey guys,
I know its a few weeks away. But I definitely have moving on my mind. I'm doing summer research. I don't know if we'll meet naturally through the program, or just be off in our labs. But in any case I'd love to get together with you guys and have a drink, or otherwise. Lyricist, Potato or anyone else thats going to be there over the summer. I think that would be a good plan. 3 more weeks till dallas for me. Thats some exciting stuff.
I'm thinking we go through some kind of group orientation so folks should be meeting anyway. they'll be sending an email about that stuff this week.

but your plans sounds cool, bobito. I need to meet some folks in Dallas. where are you at now in (i'm assuming) Texas?

Members don't see this ad :)
potato51 said:
I'm thinking we go through some kind of group orientation so folks should be meeting anyway. they'll be sending an email about that stuff this week.

but your plans sounds cool, bobito. I need to meet some folks in Dallas. where are you at now in (i'm assuming) Texas?

I've actually been splitting time btw boston and NYC these last few months. Working some less than career oriented jobs and attempting to live it up with friends before we start.

potato51 said:

How do you know about everything, potato? *clueless*

Anyways, I'm all for it. I'd love to meet all y'all.

Oh, and I officially withdrew from Hopkins today and I'll call Baylor tomorrow, so UTSW it is! :D

Lyricist said:
How do you know about everything, potato? *clueless*

I'm a potato. I have many eyes and I see all things.

No seriously, I asked Dr. McPhaul's office last week if they ever got my research proposal form and they told me.

Lyricist said:
Anyways, I'm all for it. I'd love to meet all y'all.

Oh, and I officially withdrew from Hopkins today and I'll call Baylor tomorrow, so UTSW it is! :D

daaayamn... didja at least see what financial aid JHU and BCM were offering? In any case, glad you're staying in Dallas. I'll need someone to make me feel inferior ;)

editing to add: I don't know why my post heading has a frown. Potato Heads don't come with those kind of eyebrows.

yay for UTSW, i'm getting a little excited about the new city and school, and of course my huge loan in the end.

looking forward to meeting everyone!!!!!

potato51 said:
I'm a potato. I have many eyes and I see all things.

No seriously, I asked Dr. McPhaul's office last week if they ever got my research proposal form and they told me.

Ah, the mystery revealed. I'm just not that responsible.

daaayamn... didja at least see what financial aid JHU and BCM were offering? In any case, glad you're staying in Dallas. I'll need someone to make me feel inferior ;)

editing to add: I don't know why my post heading has a frown. Potato Heads don't come with those kind of eyebrows.

Lol, hardly, I got incredibly lucky; my stats and stuff aren't very impressive. Med school is going to kick my butt.

I didn't even apply for financial aid for JHU. Baylor's going to be more expensive than UTSW, so it was an easy decision: the cheapest school = the school I like the most.

lilxixi said:
yay for UTSW, i'm getting a little excited about the new city and school, and of course my huge loan in the end.

looking forward to meeting everyone!!!!!
hey lilxixi, good to hear from you... are you graduating this month?

Lyricist said:

Lol, hardly, I got incredibly lucky; my stats and stuff aren't very impressive. Med school is going to kick my butt.

:rolleyes:

Lyricist said:

I didn't even apply for financial aid for JHU. Baylor's going to be more expensive than UTSW, so it was an easy decision: the cheapest school = the school I like the most.

Yikes you're turning down Hopkins and Baylor!? Very impressive you were accepted!! All three are excellent schools; is cost your main deciding factor?

Can I reiterate how much the working world is killing me! I need to go back to school - and stay in school for as LONG as possible (hmm..do I hear MD/PhD?? :laugh: )

MesoCompound said:
Yikes you're turning down Hopkins and Baylor!? Very impressive you were accepted!! All three are excellent schools; is cost your main deciding factor?

Can I reiterate how much the working world is killing me! I need to go back to school - and stay in school for as LONG as possible (hmm..do I hear MD/PhD?? :laugh: )

Are you allowed to respond to your own message?!

I also officially withdrew yesterday from all schools I was holding on to. Still waitlisted at a few, but it looks like UTSW is it for me!

MesoCompound said:

Largely. Plus, I have a lot of roots in Dallas. My family's all here, which means I can get a home-cooked meal once in a while, attend my baby brother's milestone school events, etc. etc. I'm seriously involved with someone in the are, so I avoid having to do a long distance relationship. Also, I've done research and worked at UTSW and absolutely loved it. So all in all, it was an easy choice for me.

MesoCompound said:

word. Working full-time the past few years confirmed that college was truly the best time of my life. Of course, med school will be an entirely different ballgame, but I like the thought of being back in the classroom again.

I havent posted in a while, just got done with my final exams today. I will be participating in the summer research program. I will be working with a graduate student doing HIV/AIDS research in Dr. Sodoras Lab. What will some of you be working on? I hope to meet some of you, I dont know anyone else that will be in Dallas.

I haven't posted on this thread yet, but I will be moving to Dallas in early June and doing some lab work. Look forward to meeting all of yall.

Hey everyone! Well, I'm settled into my new place in Dallas now, and I absolutely love it here. There's so much to do compared to my old place out in the suburbs. You guys are making me feel like a slacker this summer because I'm not doing research, but oh well...

dsq said:
I haven't posted on this thread yet, but I will be moving to Dallas in early June and doing some lab work. Look forward to meeting all of yall.
You're in the MSTP... wow. At least you're with us for 2 years. Didja meet Ross Perot at your 2nd interview? ;)

Lorrayne said:
Hey everyone! Well, I'm settled into my new place in Dallas now, and I absolutely love it here. There's so much to do compared to my old place out in the suburbs. You guys are making me feel like a slacker this summer because I'm not doing research, but oh well...
haha, you're hardly a slacker. I just needed an excuse to move to Dallas early, despite the lower pay than if I had stayed in Houston. Plus I'm pretty interested in my project and I kinda want to check out the UTSW research environment. It's strange - I work for a UT research institution and I never hear anything about the research going on at UTSW where I work.

potato51 said:
haha, you're hardly a slacker. I just needed an excuse to move to Dallas early, despite the lower pay than if I had stayed in Houston. Plus I'm pretty interested in my project and I kinda want to check out the UTSW research environment. It's strange - I work for a UT research institution and I never hear anything about the research going on at UTSW where I work.

er im in manhattan studying nuclear nonproliferation and bioterrorism at a think tank. how the heck is that related to med school?!? :confused:

*bump*

For those in town, going to Steel on Wednesday's involves free sushi and cheap alcohol at a really nice restaurant. Look it up. Starts at 5:30 on Wednesdays. Usually there are lots of UTSW students AND residents. They are the really pale, skinny people there.

neoncandle said:
*bump*

For those in town, going to Steel on Wednesday's involves free sushi and cheap alcohol at a really nice restaurant. Look it up. Starts at 5:30 on Wednesdays. Usually there are lots of UTSW students are residents. They are the really pale, skinny people there.

Anyone know when we will receive orientation information?

Our class thread is dead!

MesoCompound said:
Anyone know when we will receive orientation information?

Our class thread is dead!
I figure we'll get orientation info later this summer. From Dr. Wright's email a couple weeks ago, orientation is 8/12 (a Saturday) and class (biochem) begins 8/15.

neoncandle said:
*bump*

For those in town, going to Steel on Wednesday's involves free sushi and cheap alcohol at a really nice restaurant. Look it up. Starts at 5:30 on Wednesdays. Usually there are lots of UTSW students are residents. They are the really pale, skinny people there.

Is this a regular occurrence? I like free things.
Who pays for it? sushi is usually not cheap.

bobito said:
Is this a regular occurrence? I like free things.
Who pays for it? sushi is usually not cheap.
Yes free sushi and cheap alcohol has gotten my attention as well. Time to act crazy like japanese businessmen.

EDIT: from the website..

Join us every Wednesday for complementary sushi served in the bar. Special happy hour prices on our special STEEL drink menu. All Martinis are $5, Beer is $2 (Domestic) and $3 (Import), and all Sake is half-price!

http://www.steeldallas.com/events.htm

Potato, when are you moving to Dallas again? Any plans to party in H town before your move?

ClearDay said:
Potato, when are you moving to Dallas again? Any plans to party in H town before your move?
hey ClearDay, I leave late next week. I've little time to do anything fun 'til then but I have work til Tuesday, and then I have to pack. And I gotta throw my bro a birthday/wedding anniversary party. So partying with family is all I get to do ;(

I'm guessing Friday's my only time to do anything fun before I leave.

How 'bout you? Have you narrowed down your choices for places to live yet? When's the big move (assuming you're still headed to UTSW) ?

potato51 said:
hey ClearDay, I leave late next week. I've little time to do anything fun 'til then but I have work til Tuesday, and then I have to pack. And I gotta throw my bro a birthday/wedding anniversary party. So partying with family is all I get to do ;(

I'm guessing Friday's my only time to do anything fun before I leave.

How 'bout you? Have you narrowed down your choices for places to live yet? When's the big move (assuming you're still headed to UTSW) ?

I'm leaving for FL this Friday, otherwise I'd take you out partying with my friends. Well.. I guess you'll have to do your partying in Dallas, then.

I found a place I REALLY like this past weekend. I'm trying to work with my realtor to get things going. It's taking painfully long... I hope no one beat me to it. I'm probably gonna move there late July. Meanwhile I'm getting all the partying I can take here in Houston. Then I'll take a little vacation before I head over to Dallas.

Orientation involves going to a waterpark. They will torture you with meetings first.

Other free/almost free food in the area:
Blue Mesa Grill has a free quesadilla bar (they make the quesadillas in front of you) every day during happy hour.

McCormick & Schmick's has $1.95 appetizers during their happy hour. Usually there are 1/2 pound sandwiches, shrimp quesadillas and other really good food on their cheap menu. Plus it is at Northpark, nothing like drunk shopping after a biochem test along with 10-20 of your closest SW friends.

Oh, and you guys are so lucky. They cut the biochem syllabus in half. Of course, they also shortened the class. So, it ends before your anatomy midterm. No Black October for you guys. And it was such a fabulously trying UTSW tradition. Of course, they expanded physiology and genetics. They don't want you to have too much free time, now. OK, so I am not sure if you are lucky.

Thanks for the update. BTW which waterpark is it? I don't remember many Schlitterbahns in Dallas.

Thanks for the info. I love free stuff!

neoncandle said:
Orientation involves going to a waterpark. They will torture you with meetings first.

Other free/almost free food in the area:
Blue Mesa Grill has a free quesadilla bar (they make the quesadillas in front of you) every day during happy hour.

McCormick & Schmick's has $1.95 appetizers during their happy hour. Usually there are 1/2 pound sandwiches, shrimp quesadillas and other really good food on their cheap menu. Plus it is at Northpark, nothing like drunk shopping after a biochem test along with 10-20 of your closest SW friends.

Oh, and you guys are so lucky. They cut the biochem syllabus in half. Of course, they also shortened the class. So, it ends before your anatomy midterm. No Black October for you guys. And it was such a fabulously trying UTSW tradition. Of course, they expanded physiology and genetics. They don't want you to have too much free time, now. OK, so I am not sure if you are lucky.
neoncandle = my SDN hero(ine)... thanks for the info.... free food is always a plus

the waterpark is probably Hawaiian Falls

Any fellow research nuts get any info via email about this summer's research program? I've gotten nothing. Thought they'd let us know what's up by now.

potato51 said:
Any fellow research nuts get any info via email about this summer's research program? I've gotten nothing. Thought they'd let us know what's up by now.

Nothing here either...

potato51 said:
neoncandle = my SDN hero(ine)... thanks for the info.... free food is always a plus

the waterpark is probably Hawaiian Falls

Didn´t there used to be a place called Wet´N Wild in Arlington? It´s been about 10 years so I´m not sure if it´s still there. It was good fun back in the day, though.

I can´t believe how much time has passed since February 1st? Is there still a waitlist or has everyone heard now?

chau,
dean

Lorrayne said:

That´s awesome that you´re already there. I´m jealous, by the time school starts you´ll already know the city really well. I don´t think i´ll be able to move in until late July or August and then it will be time for the books.