Official UTSW c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JIGGLE IT

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since the other schools are doing this I figured I should too.

Congratulations to all of us that are in! Good luck to all of you who want in.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, let us know what your status is...

a) definitely going to UTSW
b) got in, but considering other schools
c) still hoping to get in

I am definitely going to UTSW.

If there is any interest, we should have a Dallas meetup sometime soon.

got in, but still considering baylor...

i'm definitely in for a meeting on one condition: alcohol must be available. that is all...

Members don't see this ad :)
Mizuno said:
got in, but still considering baylor...

i'm definitely in for a meeting on one condition: alcohol must be available. that is all...

Oh, I was thinking we should meet at the library <--sarcasm doesn't always work so well on boards

Just two hours ago I was a newbie lurker on this board, now I am starting threads!

Post acceptance euphoria, ahh, cannot string words together.

So, I will DEFINITELY be going to Southwestern! Congrats, guys!

See you at the M0 weekend!!! :) :) :) :) :)

Definitely attending UTSW.

By the way, I think there is actually a UT Southwestern C/O 2010 thread in the allopathic forums. It was created a couple months ago I think.

i'm so stoked about Dallas. can't wait to move!

I'm in the b) group for the moment. I love, love, love UTSW so I'd be thrilled to go there, but I'm still considering some other schools.

yeah, i need to go to Dallas so I can get a UTSW College of medicine sweatshirt!!! I'm so STOKED! Y'all going to MSO?

I'm a

b) maybe, but i'm 98% sure I'll go to UTSW. The only thing that could pull me away is that Stanford interview, but I'm not holding my breath.

I will be going to UTSW. Congrats to my new classmates!!!!!

CONGRATS!!!

I'm an extreme (b) . . . 99.5% going to WashU but I'm still glad to have the best possible in-state options as well!

StartingLine3 said:
I will be going to UTSW. Congrats to my new classmates!!!!!

congrats everybody~ !!!!!!!!!!

I didn't match here but I hope to get in and join ya'll maybe in a couple of months...who knows :)

Can't wait to meet you guys on MS0 day, its going to be on Feb 24th btw if you haven't gotten your letter yet. Make sure you guys fiund me so I can congratulate you in person, esp potato and jewelofPR! My real name is Alex and I wear pink a lot, so should be easy to figure out !I'll make sure I sport some pink on MS0.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alexander Pink said:
Can't wait to meet you guys on MS0 day, its going to be on Feb 24th btw if you haven't gotten your letter yet. Make sure you guys fiund me so I can congratulate you in person, esp potato and jewelofPR! My real name is Alex and I wear pink a lot, so should be easy to figure out !I'll make sure I sport some pink on MS0.
all this time I kinda thought that, uhh, Alexander Pink was your real name ;)

can't wait to meet everyone on MS0 day... see ya there.

potato51 said:
all this time I kinda thought that, uhh, Alexander Pink was your real name ;)

can't wait to meet everyone on MS0 day... see ya there.

Haha I actually thought about changing it since it's such a cool name, but it will probably remain a nickname as its such a pain for residency app reasons.

hey guys, looking forward to meet you all. i actually got accepted last year, but decided to defer to 2006.

congratulations.

Hey! I'm 100% sure i'm going to UTSW! Hope to see you guys on MS0 week!!!

IndyZX said:
hey guys, looking forward to meet you all. i actually got accepted last year, but decided to defer to 2006.

congratulations.

Ah Indy long time no see!

Congrats everyone

BaylorGuy said:
Congrats everyone
Thanks... I know you're happy about UTMB, but it'd be AWESOME to see you at UTSW.

potato51 said:
Thanks... I know you're happy about UTMB, but it'd be AWESOME to see you at UTSW.

That would be so awesome....remind me to call them after work today to see about their waitlist (if they have one)

I'll definitely be attending UTSW. Congrats to all others who got in!

Alexander Pink said:

Most men I know don't wear pink that much. Good for you, Alex :)

I'm in the b) category right now. Congrats again everyone.

So there are 2 UTSW threads. Which I think means we're better than everyone else.

Congrats to everyone! I'm pretty sure I'm coming to Southwestern next year. I'm excited to meet y'all.

So did anyone get a scholarship? Not me. I know people did last year. Extra money for med school sounds pretty pimp to me.

bobito said:
So there are 2 UTSW threads. Which I think means we're better than everyone else.

Congrats to everyone! I'm pretty sure I'm coming to Southwestern next year. I'm excited to meet y'all.

So did anyone get a scholarship? Not me. I know people did last year. Extra money for med school sounds pretty pimp to me.

I don't know. I haven't even submitted my FAFSA and I think the priority deadline for UTSW has already passed? Still waiting for my W-2.

ClearDay said:
I don't know. I haven't even submitted my FAFSA and I think the priority deadline for UTSW has already passed? Still waiting for my W-2.

How can anybody submit a FAFSA without their tax info? Also, I am major confused about why I need my parents tax info even if they don't support me.

bobito said:

How are you supposed to know if you did, from the letter? I haven't checked my mail today. I doubt I'm getting a scholarship, since 10% of the class gets it.

ClearDay said:

ClearDay... I received my W-2 yesterday. You should probably get it today.

So I may be jumping the gun, but any advice on where to live? I've visited Dallas several times, but I don't know it very well.

I'd prefer to live in a warehouse converted to apartments or I'm thinking about buying a condo (depending on price). I'm not really down with the generic apartment complexes.

Any websites or something like that would also be great.

Thanks!

Deanmonster said:
So I may be jumping the gun, but any advice on where to live? I've visited Dallas several times, but I don't know it very well.

I'd prefer to live in a warehouse converted to apartments or I'm thinking about buying a condo (depending on price). I'm not really down with the generic apartment complexes.

Thanks!
That's a good question. So does anyone know when would be the best time to start looking for places? Would the summer be too late?

I am really thrilled to be accepted to SW but I'm a little nervous about the competition and the new grading system. Oh, does anyone know if there are lecture videos for MS1's?

I'm so happy to be able to join this thread. (99% sure that I'm going to UTSW)
Hope to meet many of you at MS0 weekend.

Deanmonster said:

Thanks!

So they have the medpark apartments. Also some place on Inwood maybe. And those are right next to campus. They look pretty solid.
I think uptown is nearby. Which is trendy and has some nice places and you can buy condos I think. There is also the Deep Ellum area which has clubs and such. I don't really know how far away that is.
I don't really know though I don't live in Dallas. I have been there tho. But all this is going to require some confirmation.
MS0 day may be good for finding out info on places to look. Unless someone more famliar with Dallas wants to chime in.

Also I would be really happy if the lectures were on video. That would be amazing.

For all Houston SDNers that want to partay

Just an update on the situation....i just called up Katz's. They dont have any formal reservations perse, but they have my name down and told me to call about 30 min beforehand when we show up. Also, the don't split checks (which means if you are coming, BRING CASH!!!) and there is an additional 12-15% gratuity added to parties greater than 6.

As a backup, Buca has the Pope's table reserved at 7:30...which means if we do go here (which seems more and more unlikely), we will have to wait around for a big table to open up (which could possible take an hour or longer....especially on a friday night).

So yea, see below....PM me for my number and name (you know, so we can meet up later and not have no idea what is going on when we show up at Katz's) :D :D :D

Place: Katz's.....backup is Buca
Date:Friday 2/3/06
Time:7:30
Current Guest List
BaylorGuy
ClearDay
newdude
potato51
yourmom
DesiMcat
wigeon
sj786
karirunner
Miss155
fireorose

bobito said:
So they have the medpark apartments. Also some place on Inwood maybe. And those are right next to campus. They look pretty solid.
I think uptown is nearby. Which is trendy and has some nice places and you can buy condos I think. There is also the Deep Ellum area which has clubs and such. I don't really know how far away that is.
I don't really know though I don't live in Dallas. I have been there tho. But all this is going to require some confirmation.
MS0 day may be good for finding out info on places to look. Unless someone more famliar with Dallas wants to chime in.

Also I would be really happy if the lectures were on video. That would be amazing.

Well I live in Dallas, and have my whole life except 4 years in Austin during college. However, I am a bit older now and live up north so I don't know too much about down south. I know the Lower Greenville area is hot right now and I think it would be a good place to buy a condo because I think prices will rise over the next 4 years, however it isn't super close to UTSW, probably like 15 minutes. The Deep Ellum area has some lofts, but it may be a bit sketchy now. The 'hip' area now is uptown which is just north of downtown... I am not sure what is available which is real close to campus. I personally live up north and will probably buy a house up north so my wife and baby can be near my parents... that will be critical during these 4 years!

There are also plenty of condos/town houses/rental homes in the cedar springs/oak lawn area (about 10 min east of campus). This area is probably cheaper than uptown, more convenient that lower greenville, and not quite as sketchy as deep ellum (although I have some friends who live in lofts in deep ellum, and they really like it there).

Lorrayne said:
There are also plenty of condos/town houses/rental homes in the cedar springs/oak lawn area (about 10 min east of campus). This area is probably cheaper than uptown, more convenient that lower greenville, and not quite as sketchy as deep ellum (although I have some friends who live in lofts in deep ellum, and they really like it there).
Anyone get Wes Norred's email about MS0 day and RSVP?

I guess I'll be going on both days plus the bus tour (not that familiar with Dallas) and reception. What 3 information forums (fora?) are you guys attending? The choices are:

"Clinical Opportunities"
"Research Opportunities"
"Curriculum structure, teaching methods, computer-based learning and learning skills support"
"Spouse & Significant other"
"Getting ready for medical school and what to expect when you get here."
"Community Service and Extra-curricular Activities"

Definitely not the "Spouse & Significant other"
Will probably do the Clinical Opp, Research, and one other thing. Everything looks good, though.

potato51 said:
Anyone get Wes Norred's email about MS0 day and RSVP?

I guess I'll be going on both days plus the bus tour (not that familiar with Dallas) and reception. What 3 information forums (fora?) are you guys attending? The choices are:

"Clinical Opportunities"
"Research Opportunities"
"Curriculum structure, teaching methods, computer-based learning and learning skills support"
"Spouse & Significant other"

"Getting ready for medical school and what to expect when you get here."

"Community Service and Extra-curricular Activities"

ClearDay said:
Definitely not the "Spouse & Significant other"
Will probably do the Clinical Opp, Research, and one other thing. Everything looks good, though.
I'm doing Clinical, Research, and Getting Ready for Med school since it sounds the most informative. It's not like we'll miss out on the other topics if we don't attend. Curriculum we'll learn eventually, and EC's/Community service is something I'd want to seek out independently.

I think I'll go to Research Opportunities, Getting ready for Med School, and one other, not sure which.

This really sucks, the dates for the MS0 are on same day as my big anatomy practical and written test and right before my cardio, electrocardio test. SO i probably wont be able to go. But I am going to try to do alot of extra study in the next couple of weeks so i can at least attend one day.

IndyZX said:

congratulations.

How liberal is UTSW with deferments? Is it possible to just say you essentially want a year off? Or do they not accept the request unless you have an incredibly compelling reason?

blahh said:
How liberal is UTSW with deferments? Is it possible to just say you essentially want a year off? Or do they not accept the request unless you have an incredibly compelling reason?
i think they are pretty liberal about it. i requested a year off with a pretty short, simple email.

"...My reasons for the request are many, including a desire to travel and grow personally. Frankly, I have also become extremely burned out with the rigors of schoolwork, especially over the past three years, and I think a year off will allow me to begin my medical career with the passion that I had when I initially made my choice to go into this field..."

they were very understanding. great people over there.

good luck.

IndyZX said:
i think they are pretty liberal about it. i requested a year off with a pretty short, simple email.

"...My reasons for the request are many, including a desire to travel and grow personally. Frankly, I have also become extremely burned out with the rigors of schoolwork, especially over the past three years, and I think a year off will allow me to begin my medical career with the passion that I had when I initially made my choice to go into this field..."

they were very understanding. great people over there.

good luck.

Thanks! Great to know.

How is the parking for students at UTSW? I know it has to be better than the TMC down in Houston, but I can't imagine UTSW being that bad.

At least the $70 annual fee is tons better than the $55 monthly fee I'm being charged where I work.

potato51 said:
How is the parking for students at UTSW? I know it has to be better than the TMC down in Houston, but I can't imagine UTSW being that bad.

At least the $70 annual fee is tons better than the $55 monthly fee I'm being charged where I work.
We have our own garage, there is always room. Also someone asked on Texas thread about Biochem in summer, well UTSW does have a summer pre-matriculation program which teaches some basic biochem, they should give you info on it. I didn't do it but you could also access it online and it probably covered only 50% of what we had on first test (there are 4 tests) so I'm not sure its worth it, though Biochem has been the hardest class for me thus far, I had never taken it.

Lorrayne said:

Could I bike from uptown or the Oak Lawn area?

Alexander Pink said:
We have our own garage, there is always room. Also someone asked on Texas thread about Biochem in summer, well UTSW does have a summer pre-matriculation program which teaches some basic biochem, they should give you info on it. I didn't do it but you could also access it online and it probably covered only 50% of what we had on first test (there are 4 tests) so I'm not sure its worth it, though Biochem has been the hardest class for me thus far, I had never taken it.

Alex.. are there any classes we can take place-out exams for? Also, how often do you guys have exams? Weekly, Bi-weekly, or more/less often?

Thanks,

Are place-out exams a good idea? I'm sure it'd be great to decrease your courseload, but I'd be concerned how it'd affect preparation for boards if I didn't learn the relevant material in med school. (man do I sound lame for mentioning boards already!)

I don't remember much about exams except they are not administered all at once. I think a curriculum schedule was given in interviewee packets.