Official UTSW c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Deanmonster said:
Didn´t there used to be a place called Wet´N Wild in Arlington? It´s been about 10 years so I´m not sure if it´s still there. It was good fun back in the day, though.

I can´t believe how much time has passed since February 1st? Is there still a waitlist or has everyone heard now?

chau,
dean

There's also Hurricane Harbor, the Six Flags water park.

I spoke to Dr. McPhaul's office, and they will be emailing info about the research program soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Lyricist said:
There's also Hurricane Harbor, the Six Flags water park.

I spoke to Dr. McPhaul's office, and they will be emailing info about the research program soon.

Just FYI: Six Flags bought Wet n' Wild and changed the name to Hurricane Harbor several years ago. Haven't been there in a long time, but it was really fun back in the day.

I was wandering, does the required computer purchase part of the tution or is it separate, and does the intial fin. aid awarded to us include money for the computer purchase. Thanks,
Oh, I bought a gateway tablet pc for grad school, back in November, do think it will be alright, to just go ahead and use this, instead of a new one, I would just hate to waste money to buy just another laptop, when this one is already fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
dbzgohan said:
I was wandering, does the required computer purchase part of the tution or is it separate, and does the intial fin. aid awarded to us include money for the computer purchase. Thanks,
Oh, I bought a gateway tablet pc for grad school, back in November, do think it will be alright, to just go ahead and use this, instead of a new one, I would just hate to waste money to buy just another laptop, when this one is already fine.

dude don't buy a new computer.

You don't need a seriously fast computer. Just stick with what you have.

i know little when it comes to software. Does anyone know of a place to buy basic programs like microsoft excel, powerpoint for cheap? Thanks in advance.

UTSW should sell microsoft office for around 15 bucks.

anyone know when we're supposed to get the e-mail to pick a lender for fin aid? For some reason I never got the initial e-mail with my aid information so I am paranoid that I'll miss this one too...and I'm sure the office is tired of hearing from me.

I just got off the alternate lis at UTSW!!! I'm so excited. I'm shaking... :D :D

BlinkyCat said:
I just got off the alternate lis at UTSW!!! I'm so excited. I'm shaking... :D :D

Congrats to you! We'll see you soon.

BlinkyCat said:

awesome! congrats! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
BlinkyCat said:

Yay! Congrats, Blinky!!!

:D

Congrats Blinky!!!

Does anyone know a place in Dallas to buy nice looking furniture at an affordable price?

StartingLine3 said:
Congrats Blinky!!!

Does anyone know a place in Dallas to buy nice looking furniture at an affordable price?

Thanks ya'll!

I heard there's a new Ikea in Dallas. Yayyy!

I got in today too. It was a complete moment of shock. I got the call just after I was told I had an apartment available at another school. Literally shaking.

So you coming right? Congrats again. Speaking of IKEA, they are having their annual once a year sale..

Jedix123 said:
So you coming right? Congrats again. Speaking of IKEA, they are having their annual once a year sale..

damn, i´m missing it. I bought some great patio furniture at one of those, but now my ex-girlfriend has it all. I guess I´ll be sleeping on the mattress on the floor again... bedframes are over-rated anyway.

congratz, blinky!

Hey guys,
Congrats to Blinky and Fast!

I just moved to Dallas Saturday, and started research today. I'm new to the area, and I think it would be great to meet those of y'all doing research, or even those who are just living in Dallas already.
So if you're around Dallas, why don't you PM me your email. I'll wait a few days and then I'll set up an email list and we can figure out getting everyone together. I know there are quite a few of you on here. Does that sound good to y'all?

Oh btw. My name is actually Jason. Nice to meet you.

bobito said:
Hey guys,
Congrats to Blinky and Fast!

I just moved to Dallas Saturday, and started research today. I'm new to the area, and I think it would be great to meet those of y'all doing research, or even those who are just living in Dallas already.
So if you're around Dallas, why don't you PM me your email. I'll wait a few days and then I'll set up an email list and we can figure out getting everyone together. I know there are quite a few of you on here. Does that sound good to y'all?

Oh btw. My name is actually Jason. Nice to meet you.

Hey Jason! That sounds great. I can't wait to meet everyone. :)

My mommy tells me not to talk to strangers online.

On a more serious note... you guys watch dateline NBC?

Anyways.. PM'ed

whoa... congrats BlinkyCat! (and everyone else coming in off the waitlist). I remembered you were hoping to get into UTSW, so this is awesome for you.

potato51 said:
whoa... congrats BlinkyCat! (and everyone else coming in off the waitlist). I remembered you were hoping to get into UTSW, so this is awesome for you.

Hi guys... congrats to everyone for getting accepted!!!

potato and whoever else in Dallas... how are you liking the research/city? Have you guys met up already?

ClearDay... how've you been? I've been here a week and a half and I feel comfortable with the city and the school. Research environment seems a lot more laidback than where I used to work *cough*, and everyone i've met so far's been pretty nice to me. Some of us SDN folk met this past weekend. And so of course, we talked major smack about you. don't worry, i didn't reveal too much about you, though you'll need to redeem yourself should you end up here and finally meet us all in person ;-)

Good luck with your potential move this summer. You coming back up anytime?

Hey dude... don't be talking about my dirty laundry! Work stinks right now... 1 more month to go. It's been really difficult trying to concentrate on work and other responsibilities. My mind is tuned for going out and having fun right now. I'm basically procrastinating about everything... it's almost painful.

I've been going up there every other week or so. Maybe I'll go again next weekend. Are you guys meeting up regularly or just that one time. Maybe I'll join you guys when I'm in town. :)

potato51 said:
ClearDay... how've you been? I've been here a week and a half and I feel comfortable with the city and the school. Research environment seems a lot more laidback than where I used to work *cough*, and everyone i've met so far's been pretty nice to me. Some of us SDN folk met this past weekend. And so of course, we talked major smack about you. don't worry, i didn't reveal too much about you, though you'll need to redeem yourself should you end up here and finally meet us all in person ;-)

Good luck with your potential move this summer. You coming back up anytime?

BTW, have you met anyone new outside of school? What are some fun stuff to do up there?

Hey guys, hope those of you who are doing research and/or are in Dallas this summer are having a good time. Do any of you guys go to the research luncheons? I always wonder who is on SDN. Stop by and say high if you see me, I have longer brown hair with highlights, wear diesel jeans and fitting clothes, puma shoes. Name is Alex obviously. Where did you guys go for your meetup? You should go get free sushi at steel on wed. happy hour, and the dallas musuem of art has a lot of free stuff going on this week, check out www.dma.org and http://www.dallascityarts.com/.

Hey guys, I was just wandering what are yall doing about health insurance. Are going to get through the school, AMSA, or private. Hope everyone is having an great summer :)

UTSW has it setup with MEGA through www.studentresources.com I checked it out and seems like the summer plan ends 8/21/06 which means the fall one should start 8/22/06. Right now i'm on short term insurance from UNICARE. Now i just need that tetanus shot..

Has anyone received any emails from Scott Wright lately? I thought that he was sending us bi-monthly update emails about school and preparation, etc. The last one I got from him was in mid May. Just wanna make sure they didn't kick me out before I get to start. :p

yeah, you're fine. I don't remember getting anything from him since mid-May either.

Did anyone get an email, though, about applying for loans? I got something regarding UTSW that ended up in my junk mail, but I haven't read through it yet.

potato51 said:
yeah, you're fine. I don't remember getting anything from him since mid-May either.

Did anyone get an email, though, about applying for loans? I got something regarding UTSW that ended up in my junk mail, but I haven't read through it yet.

I didn't get anything about the loan...

yeah potato I recieved that email, it is about chooing a lender. I suggest doing that as soon as possible. You also have to answer some questions regarding whether or not you understand what loans you are taking.

dbzgohan said:
yeah potato I recieved that email, it is about chooing a lender. I suggest doing that as soon as possible. You also have to answer some questions regarding whether or not you understand what loans you are taking.

Yeah, and a few days later (once you've completed and submitted everything), you will get an email from your lender telling you that you were approved. You can also go onto the vendor's website and find out when the loans will be disbursed (mine will be on 8/8/06).

Hey y'all, I've been lurking around these parts for a little bit, but now I can finally post. It's official...wait for it, wait for it...

UTSW, Classs of 2010!

Wow, so this is what it feels like to be excited about medical school? I had gotten in at a couple of other schools outside Texas, but now I can finally stay at home. Dallas, here I come!

I'm glad Wright is used to people freaking out over the telephone, because I did.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in August!

Chris

cbgray said:
Hey y'all, I've been lurking around these parts for a little bit, but now I can finally post. It's official...wait for it, wait for it...

UTSW, Classs of 2010!

Wow, so this is what it feels like to be excited about medical school? I had gotten in at a couple of other schools outside Texas, but now I can finally stay at home. Dallas, here I come!

I'm glad Wright is used to people freaking out over the telephone, because I did.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in August!

Chris

Congrats, Chris! See you in August!

hey Chris, congrats on the acceptance.... I'm really liking the school so far this summer. See you (and most everyone else) in a couple months.

potato51 said:
hey Chris, congrats on the acceptance.... I'm really liking the school so far this summer. See you (and most everyone else) in a couple months.

What type of research are you doing, Potato?

Congrats to all that are attending UTSW this fall, wish i could've been there with ya

BlinkyCat said:
Congrats Chris! Did you also get off the alternate list?! If so, I know how you felt. That happened to me too. I was extremely excited! :)

Yeah, buddy! I was officially a non-resident, though I've been in Houston for a while now, so it was a double-shock. It was really good timing since the school I was planning on going to started in three weeks. Talk about cutting it close...

Chris

Hey yall I need some advice. So heres the deal, My wife and I already reserved a 2 bedroom apartment at med park, Its really nice location, next to pool with a great view. However we can only move in August 11, the day before orientation. As of right now we live in Denton, which is only about 45 minute away. So should i keep on calling to see if any other 2 bedrooms open up, or look else where. Any advice will be appriecated.

dbzgohan said:
Hey yall I need some advice. So heres the deal, My wife and I already reserved a 2 bedroom apartment at med park, Its really nice location, next to pool with a great view. However we can only move in August 11, the day before orientation. As of right now we live in Denton, which is only about 45 minute away. So should i keep on calling to see if any other 2 bedrooms open up, or look else where. Any advice will be appriecated.

I tried your plan before I moved into med park ... I wasnt successful. I kept calling hoping to move into the apartment before the official move in date and they could not do anything about it.

Anyone know where we can find a breakdown of our financial aid package? kind of like the one they showed us on ms0 day where they said they allow $x for living expenses etc. I remember them saying that they allow around 1700 a month (for everything) but trying to plan my budget a little better than that...

dashbddrumr said:
Anyone know where we can find a breakdown of our financial aid package? kind of like the one they showed us on ms0 day where they said they allow $x for living expenses etc. I remember them saying that they allow around 1700 a month (for everything) but trying to plan my budget a little better than that...

Check out http://www4.utsouthwestern.edu/stuaff/stuinfo/0203/FAGuide_0506_budgtbls.htm and check out the reasonable expenses budget PDF there.

Got this in the email.

Hey all,

My roommate Sabih Effendi and I are throwing a party next Friday, June 23, 2006, for the incoming MS1s. We both feel that this would be a great chance for all of us who are in Dallas to get to know each other. We live in Med Park, apt. xxxx (if you need directions let me know). If you think you can make it, please RSVP so we can buy snacks and beverages accordingly. If you plan on drinking, we'll be asking for $5 to cover expenses (hopefully this is reasonable), so be sure to let us know in your RSVP. Lastly, since not everyone has access to their UTSW email accounts yet, feel free to spread the word to other MS1s you know. Looking forward to next Friday,

Roshan & Sabih

Anyone going?

Thanks for the info, Jedix. I might go if I can crash at someone's place. :p It's not fair that people outside of Dallas are excluded!!! Potato, u in?

BTW, you just posted this person's name and address on the web. Hopefully she doesn't have a stalker. (j/k)