Official UTSW c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is so hard for me to keep motivated right now. I am taking this advanced biochemistry course with the same professor that I took regular biochemistry with. He seems to be really disappointed with me latetly. When I took regular biochemistry with him I was one of the top students in the class, but now that my goal is to just get by he seems let down that I am only marginal. It is making me sort of feel bad because it was him and his ties who helped me get into this really competitive research program a couple of summers ago.

Members don't see this ad.

StartingLine3 said:
It is so hard for me to keep motivated right now. I am taking this advanced biochemistry course with the same professor that I took regular biochemistry with. He seems to be really disappointed with me latetly. When I took regular biochemistry with him I was one of the top students in the class, but now that my goal is to just get by he seems let down that I am only marginal. It is making me sort of feel bad because it was him and his ties who helped me get into this really competitive research program a couple of summers ago.

If he's been doing this long enough, he's probably used to students slacking off after getting in. No worries.

ClearDay said:
dashbddrumr, that's gotta hurt. potato is totally ignoring U of TN.
heh, it's all good, dashbddrumr (trying writing that name three times fast). I'm looking forward to meeting all the out of state acceptees.

Members don't see this ad :)
StartingLine3 said:
it's senior year of high school all over again, basically.

IS UTSW going to host some type of MS1 Mixer in August, so that we can get to know each other before classes begin?

ThaJewelofPR said:
IS UTSW going to host some type of MS1 Mixer in August, so that we can get to know each other before classes begin?
From reading the C/O 2009 UTSW threads, sounds like they had some event at Hawaiian Falls Waterpark after orientation?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=2870710&postcount=345http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=2873226#post2873226

on a side note, I'm starting to frighten myself. I've been on SDN just over 6 months and I've already amassed 1000+ posts.

potato51 said:
From reading the C/O 2009 UTSW threads, sounds like they had some event at Hawaiian Falls Waterpark after orientation?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=2870710&postcount=345http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=2873226#post2873226

on a side note, I'm starting to frighten myself. I've been on SDN just over 6 months and I've already amassed 1000+ posts.

it's a sign that you should go to go downtown Houston, go to the Chase building top floor, and drop your computer down into the street. Plus you'll have a nice view up there, you can snipe anyone up there just like in counterstrike.

I'm thinking we're getting financial aid packages the end of this week. Can't wait to see how much money I'll be shelling out the next 4.

potato51 said:
I'm thinking we're getting financial aid packages the end of this week. Can't wait to see how much money I'll be shelling out the next 4.

I sure hope so! I've been obsessively logging into EFAM on the website to see if my financial aid info is up yet...

ThaJewelofPR said:
I sure hope so! I've been obsessively logging into EFAM on the website to see if my financial aid info is up yet...
heh, so I'm not the only one ;)

potato51 said:
heh, so I'm not the only one ;)

Hey Potato, are you living by yourself? I can't decide whether I want to get a roomie or just get a one bedroom for myself...This is a tough call, especially since I haven't even seen my financial aid package yet...

ThaJewelofPR said:
Hey Potato, are you living by yourself? I can't decide whether I want to get a roomie or just get a one bedroom for myself...This is a tough call, especially since I haven't even seen my financial aid package yet...
yeah, I'm by myself. Splitting rent and saving money would be nice, but having a place to myself is worth it for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
ThaJewelofPR, have you started looking for a place yet?

On a different subject - does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is? I thought I saw it on the academic calendar, but can't find it when I went back to look.

ClearDay said:

On a different subject - does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is? I thought I saw it on the academic calendar, but can't find it when I went back to look.
I know it falls on the last weekend of October, so it's probably 10/28/06. Wonder why they have it smack dab in the middle of the semester...?

Hi Jcan,

What is the PreMat Program? Could you direct me to a website that has info. for it? Thanks! :thumbup:

Anyone get this email from UTSW admissions about the elective courses? do students actually do these if they're not required? perhaps the Spanish one would be useful.

I find a lot of the elective courses interesting, especially the ethics stuff, finance stuff, and spanish. I think people would take these "courses" b/c they are very different from the academic courses... and they should be very laid back.

I'd like to take these courses b/c it will be a nice change of pace, balance the education, and this is stuff I would be very interested about. Of course, the caveat is how much extra time/energy we will actually have...

newcastle said:
I find a lot of the elective courses interesting, especially the ethics stuff, finance stuff, and spanish. I think people would take these "courses" b/c they are very different from the academic courses... and they should be very laid back.

I'd like to take these courses b/c it will be a nice change of pace, balance the education, and this is stuff I would be very interested about. Of course, the caveat is how much extra time/energy we will actually have...
True. I didn't read the whole email and webpage before realizing that it was just a P/F course with little outside work. I might consider the finance/economics ones after all.

newcastle said:

Those are basically what I answered the survey with: spanish, ethics, finance, global health. I expect the courses mostly consist of people sitting around in a lounge bar smoking from a hookah and discussing the problems with the world and medicine in general. At least that's how it would be if I were leading the course.

On another note, are we supposed to be getting our finaid package by email or snailmail?

Deanmonster said:
Those are basically what I answered the survey with: spanish, ethics, finance, global health. I expect the courses mostly consist of people sitting around in a lounge bar smoking from a hookah and discussing the problems with the world and medicine in general. At least that's how it would be if I were leading the course.

On another note, are we supposed to be getting our finaid package by email or snailmail?
I'm thinking by email first. The email will probably tell you to log into your 'EFAM' on this page. http://www4.utsouthwestern.edu/stuaff//stuinfo/secure.htm

Greetings All! said:
Hi Jcan,

What is the PreMat Program? Could you direct me to a website that has info. for it? Thanks! :thumbup:

I dont know of a website. I contacted Dr Parker after MSO weekend to let her know that I was interested in the program. I received the invitation a few days ago via the mail. It details the schedule of courses and activities over the 6 week period. We will be sampling Biochem, Genetics, and Anatomy courses. They even have tests set up to evaluate our progress in the courses. You can contact Dr. Suzanna Parker or Lisa Medina (214-648-9658) for more info.

We have great timing. Financial aid notification is in via email and website, and it's exactly what I expected. Argh.

I love the language on these financial aid packages. "You have been AWARDED such-and-such loan..." - uhh, how am I being awarded when I'm the one who ultimately pays for it? ;)

ClearDay said:

I am going to go look at apartments in about two weeks...I am really leaning towards MEDPARK, though...And I still can't decide whether I'd like a roomie or not...What about you, ClearDay?

Hey, if we didn't get an invitation to the PreMat Program, can we still have access to the course notes and stuff? How did they select students to invite?

potato51 said:
I love the language on these financial aid packages. "You have been AWARDED such-and-such loan..." - uhh, how am I being awarded when I'm the one who ultimately pays for it? ;)

Grrr...My info is still NOT posted! I want to know!

Okay, I got my financial info! Thank goodness I don't have to worry about that anymore!

ThaJewelofPR said:
Hey, if we didn't get an invitation to the PreMat Program, can we still have access to the course notes and stuff? How did they select students to invite?
I think they selected students of the ones who expressed interest in the program.

Anyone else disappointed with their fin aid package and rethinking their decision to go to UTSW?

Lyricist said:
Anyone else disappointed with their fin aid package and rethinking their decision to go to UTSW?

...still waiting to get mine :confused:

Lyricist said:

Hey Lyricist, I guess that fin aid package doesn't cover as much as you had anticipated? Have you heard from other schools' fin aid offices?

Totally unrelated....

To you guys that know Dallas area well.... are there good Salsa clubs/studios in Dallas? What about group lessons?

ClearDay said:
Totally unrelated....

To you guys that know Dallas area well.... are there good Salsa clubs/studios in Dallas? What about group lessons?

Hey! I don't know Dallas, but I would definitely hit that salsa business up with you.
I've got to be slick as hell for when I go looking for my trophy wife. Or even better debutants. 100% trophy. 0% wife.
Also since the internet can be cryptic, I'm joking about the wife bit....um, sort of.
But Salsa would be really cool. Is that something you're really into? i.e. have you done it before? Are you going to be in Dallas over the summer?

Does anyone know exact tuition/fee costs for the 2006-7 academic year?

So far, my estimate of school + living expenses is adding up to significantly less than the $32,500 amount UTSW projects for MS1. Maybe I live too cheaply? In any case, loans will be my friend the next several years. And I'm glad I got my FAFSA in early.

bobito said:
Hey! I don't know Dallas, but I would definitely hit that salsa business up with you.
I've got to be slick as hell for when I go looking for my trophy wife. Or even better debutants. 100% trophy. 0% wife.
Also since the internet can be cryptic, I'm joking about the wife bit....um, sort of.
But Salsa would be really cool. Is that something you're really into? i.e. have you done it before? Are you going to be in Dallas over the summer?

Hey, bobito... I've been taking Salsa lessons for a little while and am loving it. It's a good stress-reliever, fun, and sexy. I won't be in Dallas this summer, though. So you can get started and I'll join you when I get there in July/August. What about you - have you done it before?

potato51 said:
Does anyone know exact tuition/fee costs for the 2006-7 academic year?

So far, my estimate of school + living expenses is adding up to significantly less than the $32,500 amount UTSW projects for MS1. Maybe I live too cheaply? In any case, loans will be my friend the next several years. And I'm glad I got my FAFSA in early.

Really? I think $30K is alright and a little tight. Did you include car insurance in your estimate? Cable(?), phone, etc?

There is a salsa dancing club in Addison called "Sambuca's" (sp?) behind Pete's Dueling Piano Bar. I hear it's very good...ladies get free salsa lessons every night...or so my friends tell me. Also once you get to UTSW there is a salsa dancing club or something and they put on shows for the medical center and such. I believe they also offer salsa lessons through this group at the Student Center.

ClearDay said:
Totally unrelated....

Prophecies said:
There is a salsa dancing club in Addison called "Sambuca's" (sp?) behind Pete's Dueling Piano Bar. I hear it's very good...ladies get free salsa lessons every night...or so my friends tell me. Also once you get to UTSW there is a salsa dancing club or something and they put on shows for the medical center and such. I believe they also offer salsa lessons through this group at the Student Center.

Mmmm.... salsa (I'm thinking of food here). Girls always get in free, but then they have to dance with single boring guy like us cuz we weren't slick enough to convince a girl to come with us and be our partner. But in any case, atleast I know there're some energetic people who are willing to venture out and take some dancing lessons. I would take all those lessons if they're free, so will you pay for me so you wont look so desperate?

ClearDay said:
Totally unrelated....

I know that the restaurant Glorias has good salsa dancing on the weekends. Thre is one on Greenville and one in Addison.

I hear Gloria's is a pretty popular hangout, though the food may not be that great.

Anyone know when we have to start returning stuff for financial aid?

I got my financial aid package ... it came out alright. Some grant money, but not alot. I was alittle disappointed Lyracist

ClearDay said:
Really? I think $30K is alright and a little tight. Did you include car insurance in your estimate? Cable(?), phone, etc?
all that's is included. The only thing I'm not sure on is health insurance. I have to see what that'll cost me. I figure I'll go w/ the UTSW policy if they have a decent one. I'll just pray I never get into a freak accident.

StartingLine3 said:
Anyone know when we have to start returning stuff for financial aid?

I got my financial aid package ... it came out alright. Some grant money, but not alot. I was alittle disappointed Lyracist
Financial aid page says within 14 days. I'm figuring out how much in unsubsidized loans I need to take out and what lender.

Meh, my scholarship/ grant money is covering just under half of costs (my anticipated costs, not their estimate) so it's hard to turn down higher ranked schools for UTSW when it's not even a great deal.

Clearday, DFW has a great salsa scene. My fave is Xouba's in Arlington, but there are loads of great places in the area.

Lyricist said:
Meh, my scholarship/ grant money is covering just under half of costs (my anticipated costs, not their estimate) so it's hard to turn down higher ranked schools for UTSW when it's not even a great deal.

Clearday, DFW has a great salsa scene. My fave is Xouba's in Arlington, but there are loads of great places in the area.
Lyricist wouldn't you be at home while attending UTSW? If you have to move away for med school (say, Baylor), won't the added cost of room & board (in say, Houston) make UTSW look better financially?

By the way, anyone know of any good comedy clubs in Dallas?

Thanks for the info on Salsa, guys.

And I don't mind if a guy is not superslick. I just don't like it when they throw me around or is a bad dancer who doesn't know how to lead and thinks that they're the best dancer who's ever been born. It makes me look like a fool, like a fool! Can you tell I had a bad dance partner last night? Anyway I digress...