Official UTSW c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ClearDay said:
Thanks for the info on Salsa, guys.

And I don't mind if a guy is not superslick. I just don't like it when they throw me around or is a bad dancer who doesn't know how to lead and thinks that they're the best dancer who's ever been born. It makes me look like a fool, like a fool! Can you tell I had a bad dance partner last night? Anyway I digress...
i pity the fool who ___________...
still waiting for that money, can't even load up the site :(

Members don't see this ad.

forevalwayzz said:
i pity the fool who ___________...
still waiting for that money, can't even load up the site :(

That sux; did you turn in your FAFSA late or something?

ThaJewelofPR said:
I am going to go look at apartments in about two weeks...I am really leaning towards MEDPARK, though...And I still can't decide whether I'd like a roomie or not...What about you, ClearDay?

I'm going back to Dallas in a week to look at some condos. I'm probably not gonna have a roommate because I like it quiet when I'm studying. Nothing is set in stone, though. I might end up getting an apartment with a roommate....who knows. Uptown seems like a fun area to live in. Let me know how the apartment hunting goes. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone receive snail correspondence from UTSW? I haven't, but I was wondering if anyone has. Dr. Wright's email from a few days back said we'd be notified by mail if we were deficient in any course requirements. My inner premed that I'm trying to suppress is slightly paranoid that I may have missed a pre-req.

ThaJewelofPR said:
That sux; did you turn in your FAFSA late or something?
apparently they dont accept fax, so I had to send them what they need via snail mail. but it's all good, still have a month to decide right (still between this and Duke so dont see me as a traitor when you see my msg in the Duke class thread).
But since i didn't go to second look weekend, I dont know how many of my potential future classmates are, so if you feel friendly, send me a msg via aim or something and i'll be happy to be your friend, even if you have a list full of buddy. It will be awark (haha, i can't spell) at first, but let this be the ice breaker.
oh, and to Clearday, while you're looking at Condo, can you send me the information afterward. I'm thinking of renting/buying a condo too but not sure of the price and such, so whatever you can gather will greatly be appreciated.

p.s. I'm a guy, geesh, when did screen name determine your gender!

forevalwayzz said:
apparently they dont accept fax, so I had to send them what they need via snail mail. but it's all good, still have a month to decide right (still between this and Duke so dont see me as a traitor when you see my msg in the Duke class thread).
But since i didn't go to second look weekend, I dont know how many of my potential future classmates are, so if you feel friendly, send me a msg via aim or something and i'll be happy to be your friend, even if you have a list full of buddy. It will be awark (haha, i can't spell) at first, but let this be the ice breaker.
oh, and to Clearday, while you're looking at Condo, can you send me the information afterward. I'm thinking of renting/buying a condo too but not sure of the price and such, so whatever you can gather will greatly be appreciated.

p.s. I'm a guy, geesh, when did screen name determine your gender!
MS0 weekend was fun despite the weather, and everyone I met was pretty damn cool (except one guy who screamed gunner). Was surprised how many people there were who aren't matriculating straight out of undergrad.

forevalwayzz - Sorry I can't help you out. Condos that I'm looking for are for girls only. Even though your screen name is screaming 'girlzzz foreva', it doesn't make up for the fact that you're a guy. ..ahem.. I joke, I love picking on people. Only a guy who's very secure about his masculinity would use a girly screen name like that. (ok... I must stop myself)

What price range/area are you looking for? I'm only looking at places within 10 minutes radius of UTSW.. mostly Uptown or Cedar Springs. PM me if you prefer.

no, it's cool. some ppl might find this useful somehow. condos for girls only? well i dont might living in that complex (more like heaven for me), if i can't then what kind of discriminating country are we living in where a guy can't live in a girl condo complex?!
but anyway, I'm just doing a survey right now so I dont have any specific price range, but hopefully below 100k; I dont mind driving if it's far away, I love driving, even in traffic. But dont go out of your way for me, just go to wherever you're looking at.
long story behind my screen name, but we'll get to that at another time. and i can't believe that you had to copy and paste my screen name and not type it from scratch.

Yeah you never heard of condos for girls? They usually have scheduled 'pampering' time where all the girls come to the shower together in this big room. So I guess you'll like it after all. (I'm being ridiculous, of course. No girl would want to live in girl-only condos.)

Check out realtor.com for some ballpark figures. (courtesy of one of our future classmates) I really don't know areas that are far away from school, but I've driven to part of Irving and it wasn't pretty.

How would you know if I'd copied & pasted or typed your screen name from scratch? I bolded it so you'd see I was talking to *you*. :D

Hey everyone, I have a question regarding financial aid:

Did you get a larger stipend for the spring than the fall? Why is that? Shouldn't we need more money for the first semester, when we buy our computers and books and supplies and all that stuff? I got like 3 thousand more awarded for the spring than the fall...

Oh, and has everyone gotten their Hepatitis B vaccine yet? I called yesterday to OHP at BCM (I work at BCM) to make an appointment, and they told me they were all out of Hep B until about another two weeks!! Grrr...

ThaJewelofPR said:
Oh, and has everyone gotten their Hepatitis B vaccine yet? I called yesterday to OHP at BCM (I work at BCM) to make an appointment, and they told me they were all out of Hep B until about another two weeks!! Grrr...
I need to get mine done. I wonder if I can get the first two shots done where I work, then the last in Dallas.

I really need to find the rest of my immunization records.

As for your stipend post, anything I received was split equally. Strange how they did yours.

I was the same as you Jewel. I have 3k more in the spring than in the fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
ThaJewelofPR said:
hey, I work for BCM too but not sure about this vaccine stuff, I mean i'm not a full time employee but am I eligible for those kind of vaccinations because I dont want to dig up the entire house to find my immun. record. How much is it anywayz? i'm paying to get shot, that's riiiiidiculous.
and to clearday righttttttttttttt

ThaJewelofPR said:

Did you get a larger stipend for the spring than the fall? Why is that? Shouldn't we need more money for the first semester, when we buy our computers and books and supplies and all that stuff? I got like 3 thousand more awarded for the spring than the fall...

That's odd. My money was split equally (I think I get $1 more in the fall than the spring).

ThaJewelofPR said:

let's put this extra money to good use: take me out!
they're prolly thinking, after a semester in dallas, we'll probably be familiar with the area and want to have a life, so here 3 grand to buy that social life that you can get as a med student.

forevalwayzz said:
let's put this extra money to good use: take me out!
they're prolly thinking, after a semester in dallas, we'll probably be familiar with the area and want to have a life, so here 3 grand to buy that social life that you can get as a med student.
forevalwayzz..... did you ever get your financial aid package? How much are you contributing to the Potato51 Fund?

potato51 said:
forevalwayzz..... did you ever get your financial aid package? How much are you contributing to the Potato51 Fund?
nope, hopefully by next week i'll get the dough, that or the dough will be taken from my future bank (prolly the later), but since i'm a generous person, I'll contribute a curly fry and two regular french fries to your potato fund, and I hope that you can get enough to become a whole potato again.
ask me again later and i might even throw in a twistler so you can have your lightsaber back.

forevalwayzz said:
hey, I work for BCM too but not sure about this vaccine stuff, I mean i'm not a full time employee but am I eligible for those kind of vaccinations because I dont want to dig up the entire house to find my immun. record. How much is it anywayz? i'm paying to get shot, that's riiiiidiculous.
and to clearday righttttttttttttt

If you get the Hep B vaccine with OHP at the BCM Clinic, you only pay $35...

ThaJewelofPR said:
If you get the Hep B vaccine with OHP at the BCM Clinic, you only pay $35...
this class seem to be dead, but anywayz, where do I go to get a blood test because I had pretty much all vaccinations in 1995 but it was in a different country.

forevalwayzz said:
this class seem to be dead, but anywayz, where do I go to get a blood test because I had pretty much all vaccinations in 1995 but it was in a different country.

You'll have to go to your regular primary care doctor for that; I don't think you can do it at the Baylor Clinic...

...still no financial aid for me :scared:

(and yeah, I turned it all in on time.)

dashbddrumr said:

Why don't you email your financial aid advisor or Dr. Wright and ask to make sure?

dashbddrumr said:

maybe they're processing non-Texans separately? Email your advisor.

ThaJewelofPR said:
Where is everyone?
Here, but busy studying for a final tomorrow... something I haven't done in 4 years.

how excited is everyone still~?

got an email today from financial aid: FULL RIDE TO MED SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

forevalwayzz said:
got an email today from financial aid: FULL RIDE TO MED SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wow, congrats, i'm "jellus"... from what I heard at MS0, a UTSW full ride is pretty much unheard-of.

So I guess this takes Duke out of the running? ;)

oh snap, nvm, it's not a full ride, still have to pay 5k each year. ouch

does anyone know anything about the Katy Trail? I hear it's the major running/biking strip in Dallas, but wasn't sure if it was actually a good one. anyone?

quite frankly, i have never been to dallas (interview trip doesn't count) so i need to go do some research on that if i decide to attend southwestern. i mean as long as it's quiet and peaceful, i'll be fine since I dont need the crowded urban life while in med school. come to think of it, i'll prolly spend most of my time at school that I wont even care what dallas has to offer. but maybe that will change.
also, does anyone know the workload at Southwestern? I see on the calendar that student go to class from 9-4 on a regular basis. are you guys looking forward to this or will it just be overwhelming?
vote me 4 prez!!!!

First semester you will spend in class from about 9-5 with biochem (or genetics later on) in the morning and then anatomy lecture & lab (except Wednesdays when there is CEM) in the afternoon. However, the biochemistry course is currently undergoing a major overhaul so that it doesn't take as long, leaving more time for genetics...so there may be a morning break for a few weeks between biochem ending and before genetics starts. Also if going to class isn't your thing then you will have more free time (it personally doesn't work for me so I just download the lectures off the Web Curriculum and study whenever I feel like it).

Second semester is a lot better...9-12 physiology or neuroscience and then once a week 1-3 for human behavior. The workload isn't too bad...there is a lot of information in the syllabus, but the faculty is really good at "hinting" what types of things might appear on the test and should therefore be focused on. I suppose it is your choice whether you spend all your time at school or not, but you should definitely get out once in a while or you will (seriously) go insane.

I see a lot of people around me that are always stressed out because there is "so much work," but I think they bring it upon themselves. If you just focus for a few hours each day and study the important points that the faculty have suggested, you should be able to make As no problem. Trying to understand every detail in the syllabus will only waste your time.

forevalwayzz said:
quite frankly, i have never been to dallas (interview trip doesn't count) so i need to go do some research on that if i decide to attend southwestern. i mean as long as it's quiet and peaceful, i'll be fine since I dont need the crowded urban life while in med school. come to think of it, i'll prolly spend most of my time at school that I wont even care what dallas has to offer. but maybe that will change.
also, does anyone know the workload at Southwestern? I see on the calendar that student go to class from 9-4 on a regular basis. are you guys looking forward to this or will it just be overwhelming?
vote me 4 prez!!!!

thank ya for the info, if you dont feel being too old, glad to have you over at one of the pre-school sdn party that we are (or will be) in the process of planning when most of us are over in dallas and sleeping in unfurnished apartment.
and i dont know what i was looking at this morning, that email was from some other school, not Southwestern, guess I caught up in the moment. dang, lucky i didn't tell anyone else. hihihihi

potato51 said:
wow, congrats, i'm "jellus"... from what I heard at MS0, a UTSW full ride is pretty much unheard-of.

Really, potato? There's this guy who teaches the Princeton Review course at my campus who claims he got a full ride. Of course, this dude is full of it (claims he was holding spots at two Texas state schools - which I know is impossible), so I don't know.

Lyricist said:
Really, potato? There's this guy who teaches the Princeton Review course at my campus who claims he got a full ride. Of course, this dude is full of it (claims he was holding spots at two Texas state schools - which I know is impossible), so I don't know.
yeah, the financial aid representative at MS0 said they've never given one out before that covered tuition and fees. Now, this guy you speak of probably got outside grants/scholarships if he's telling the truth.

And technically, can't you hold spots at two schools if you matched, but then got accepted to a school higher on your list that you were waitlisted at? If that's the case for him, I wonder how he got the full ride ;)

sniff financial aid still hasn't received my proof of citizenship yet, sniff... oh god why must you torture me so, may 15 is around the corner... people can say whatever they want to, if it make them feel good, let them do it, why bother if someone is fabricating the truth to make themselves look good, that's just silly.

Prophecies said:
However, the biochemistry course is currently undergoing a major overhaul so that it doesn't take as long, leaving more time for genetics...so there may be a morning break for a few weeks between biochem ending and before genetics starts. Also if going to class isn't your thing then you will have more free time (it personally doesn't work for me so I just download the lectures off the Web Curriculum and study whenever I feel like it).

Thanks for the post, Prophecies. Seems to me biochem is undergoing changes at nearly every school I've been to.

Personally, I'll probably be going to all the classes the first several weeks of school and then see how I can cut my attendance if need be.

Prophecies said:
I see a lot of people around me that are always stressed out because there is "so much work," but I think they bring it upon themselves. If you just focus for a few hours each day and study the important points that the faculty have suggested, you should be able to make As no problem. Trying to understand every detail in the syllabus will only waste your time.

This will be the biggest adjustment for me, since previously I studied well only under pressure - that is, starting not too long before the actual exam. As for faculty suggestions, I'm guessing that means you'll have to attend class to learn what's being emphasized, right?

Thanks again for your insights. I have to admit I'm still apprehensive about transitioning back to academics several years after college.

forevalwayzz said:
sniff financial aid still hasn't received my proof of citizenship yet, sniff... oh god why must you torture me so, may 15 is around the corner... people can say whatever they want to, if it make them feel good, let them do it, why bother if someone is fabricating the truth to make themselves look good, that's just silly.

Lol, I know it's silly, but I'll admit I was interested. I was wondering what kind of stats the guy was boasting to merit a full ride while other (completely amazing!) people I know "only" got tuition covered.

potato51 said:
This will be the biggest adjustment for me, since previously I studied well only under pressure - that is, starting not too long before the actual exam. As for faculty suggestions, I'm guessing that means you'll have to attend class to learn what's being emphasized, right?

Thanks again for your insights. I have to admit I'm still apprehensive about transitioning back to academics several years after college.

If it makes you feel better, I'm coming straight out of college and I have the same concerns. I know my study habits from undergrad (procrastinating and then cramming) aren't going to cut it in medical school, and I'm not sure how well I'll be able to handle that. I imagine the volume of information and pace is so different from undergrad that it'll be a definite transition for everyone, so have no fear!

No matter how you look at it, first semester is going to be really hard. I used to work 6am to 6pm, but it wasn't nearly as draining as studying and class will be. One of my first priorities is going to be finding some good stress relief. I'm thinking of taking up yoga and maybe getting into a swimming routine. Does anyone know when the pool is supposed to be finished? I heard rumors at MS0 they were building one. If all else fails, I'll be at the bar...

it's funny how many versions there are of med school I keep hearing from UTSW students. One guy told me first year is relatively a cinch as the pre-clinical curriculum gets progressively harder. I dunno about that. All I'm certain about is biochem and anatomy are going to kick my arse something fierce.

And just for old time's sake......... my LMFU changed 3 1/2 weeks ago. *cue twilight zone music*

So I emailed a few administrators regarding the summer prematriculation program, and they told me that even if you didn't get chosen, everyone will be mailed a letter in the upcoming weeks on how to access the biochem course curriculum for independent summer study...I will definitely be taking advantage of this! Just like you, Potato, I'm worried that this year off doing research has corroded my study skills!!! :)

question about Dallas.... how often, if ever, does it snow up there? Are winters as mild as they are in south Tejas?

potato51 said:
question about Dallas.... how often, if ever, does it snow up there? Are winters as mild as they are in south Tejas?

Snow in Dallas, huh? I am not going to UTSW, but was born and raised in Dallas. (I'll be at UTMB next year.)

I'd say we get snow every year, but there is no real accumulation. Mainly the snow is a weird snow/ice mixture. Remember Dallas is in North East Texas. As the weather men (Tim Duncan for channel 8) will remind you everyday.

The winters are not as mild as south Texas. I have family in Houston the last time it snowed there was the first in 50 years. In Dallas, you'll get plenty of days in the 20s-30s and maybe some 10s with windchills.

Of course with all the weather pattern changes these days, you might get a day in January when it's 70 degrees. Who knows these days???

Hope my hometown treats you well. Good luck at UTSW.

Jewel, did you make it to Dallas to look at some apartments? I went this past weekend and will probably go again in a couple of weeks.

For those interested in condo's, Uptown is definitely a nice area to live. You'll be w/in walking distance to bars, restaurants, West Village, Katy trail, etc. The down side, of course, is the price. All of the places I've looked up in that area is > $100K (small, older 1/1). If you have the money, this is definitely the place to be (in my opinion).

Oak Lawn is also a nice area. It's kind of close of Uptown, but from what I've heard, it's traditionally a gay neighborhood although it's becoming more mixed lately. Plus, my realtor who's gay seems to want to steer me away from Oak Lawn area. So, I'm not sure if non-gay are less welcomed, etc. I'd think it depends on your comfort level. You could get a totally remodeled place in Oak Lawn for just over $100k.

Swttxcandy said:
Snow in Dallas, huh? I am not going to UTSW, but was born and raised in Dallas. (I'll be at UTMB next year.)
Thanks for the info, swttxcandy and good luck in Galveston.

ClearDay said:
Jewel, did you make it to Dallas to look at some apartments? I went this past weekend and will probably go again in a couple of weeks.

For those interested in condo's, Uptown is definitely a nice area to live. You'll be w/in walking distance to bars, restaurants, West Village, Katy trail, etc. The down side, of course, is the price. All of the places I've looked up in that area is > $100K (small, older 1/1). If you have the money, this is definitely the place to be (in my opinion).

Oak Lawn is also a nice area. It's kind of close of Uptown, but from what I've heard, it's traditionally a gay neighborhood although it's becoming more mixed lately. Plus, my realtor who's gay seems to want to steer me away from Oak Lawn area. So, I'm not sure if non-gay are less welcomed, etc. I'd think it depends on your comfort level. You could get a totally remodeled place in Oak Lawn for just over $100k.

Oak Lawn is a gay area? All I remember seeing were car dealerships, and none of them were for Miatas :)

good luck with your condo search. I can't believe school is just 3 months away.

potato51 said:
Oak Lawn is a gay area? All I remember seeing were car dealerships, and none of them were for Miatas :)

good luck with your condo search. I can't believe school is just 3 months away.

You have to go to the residential area. All I saw there was couples holding hands walking along the street, shopping for groceries, furniture, houses, etc. I think it's cute.

It's not fair that you only have 1 month left at work! I still haven't turned in my official resignation letter yet. So much to do, so little time!

ClearDay said:
It's not fair that you only have 1 month left at work! I still haven't turned in my official resignation letter yet. So much to do, so little time!

Actually this isn't true. I have only 3 weeks :)

I hear ya on the volume of work though. On top of research, I have to train my replacement (fun) and organize anything and everything I've done the past 3+ years.

At least my class at UH is finally over.

Hi guys,
I am a 1st year (soon to be a 2nd year - yippee). Med park (at $1000 rent for a 2 bedroom) is a lot more than most 2 bedrooms in the area. But it is convenient. I live in the Highland Place Condos at Bordeaux and Inwood. They are pretty nice and there are several med students living here. Also, there are some other apts across the street - 972-956-9845, I think - but I am not sure if they are nice or the price. I have heard that they are cheap though. You guys should be checking out Craigslist to find some unique and cheap living arrangements. There are lots of corporate luxury apartments, but they are not always as nice as they seem.

For example, despite the gated entry, Med Park will let anyone in. There were breakins to cars and even apartments this past year. Just to let you know that despite the security, it can happen anywhere and that is not a particularly nice area to be walking in.