Official UTSW c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thanks, Jedi... I hear they sent out email account info, but I haven't gotten mine yet. ClearDay you should come... make this a apt/condo-hunting weekend, if the hangover doesn't persist to Saturday.

Members don't see this ad.

potato51 said:
thanks, Jedi... I hear they sent out email account info, but I haven't gotten mine yet. ClearDay you should come... make this a apt/condo-hunting weekend, if the hangover doesn't persist to Saturday.

Has anyone gotten any information about the online biochemistry summer course that all of us will be able to participate in (if we were not chosen for the pre-matriculation program)? I think Dr. Wright told me that we'd all hear about it around the 20th of June...

I did not hear anything but if you want, you can go into the Curriculum's website and go to the biochem page. Once there you should see a link called summercourse, and now should be able to access the notes posted. However you need your group wise ID that you should have recieved in the mail with your email address to access the course website. Anyway, the stuff did not look to bad. All the notes were mostly about proteins, enzymes, and Hb. Good luck. I hope everyone is enjoying their summer break. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm enjoying it by not looking at that biochem notes. hahaha

Jedix123 said:
I'm enjoying it by not looking at that biochem notes. hahaha

Man, you guys are freaking me out with all the talk about biochem notes and research. When I was hanging out at the UTHSCSA thread, we talked about apartment searching and other assorted nonacademic topics. :p

On that note, is anyone going to that party tonight? I can't though because I couldn't get out of something I had planned way before hand. Have fun if ya'll go! :)

hey by no means I am studying right now, actually I am trying to beef up my game in basketball so I can be the next Dirk in intramurals :D. I might look at some of my biochem notes probably a couple weeks before school starts just to get familar with the whole study thing again. In the mean time all about getting in shape so I can try out for those MAVS, they need me :p

Hey everyone!
I enjoyed meeting several of you at the party last night. My husband and I had a great time. Hopefully, we can have another meet-up or something before classes start so even more people can come. It seems like our class has some really cool people.

did you guys get really drunk?

I only had one drink because we already had plans to meet up with some friends after the party. We also left a bit early (around 11:30ish), but no one was acting too crazy then.

well maybe next time. :D

I had a good time. I'm feeling good about our class, especially now that I know I'm not the only c/o '02 Longhorn attending this year.

potato51 said:
I had a good time. I'm feeling good about our class, especially now that I know I'm not the only c/o '02 Longhorn attending this year.

Hey ya'all,
So I have decided to use my "vacation" time next week to leave this overpopulated, polluted island full of stressed out whackos - ie manhattan - to look at apartments in Dallas.
Here is what I actually know about Dallas: absolutely nothing!
Here is how much time I have: 2 days!
So I rented a car, am staying in a hotel around the Dallas Trade Mart (I only know b/c I google mapped it) and am looking for places around uptown (which I have "heard" is the "cool" place to live. Actually, I live "uptown" in nyc, so it seemed logical to look there in Dallas...ok this really shows how pathetically little I know about Dallas).
Anyway, can anyone recommend any good brokers, as I'm looking to rent a place? Heck, do people even use brokers in TX? How is the uptown area? I have never in my life driven in Dallas - is it terrible? Anything else I should be doing there (I unfortunately wont get to officially "move" to Dallas until like 2 days before class starts, so furniture will unfortunately have to be an afterthought :)

Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
MesoCompound said:
Hey ya'all,
So I have decided to use my "vacation" time next week to leave this overpopulated, polluted island full of stressed out whackos - ie manhattan - to look at apartments in Dallas.
Here is what I actually know about Dallas: absolutely nothing!
Here is how much time I have: 2 days!

Sent you a PM

MesoCompound said:
Hey ya'all,

If you want, lets get together for dinner when you are in town. Anybody else interested?

JIGGLE IT said:
If you want, lets get together for dinner when you are in town. Anybody else interested?

I am! I've somehow managed to have other plans every single meet-up that's planned.

There's going to be a paintball meetup organized by some MS2's and MS3's this sunday (got it in my utsw email again). I'll prob be going. Anyone else interested?

First post(just got on SDN), so apologies if I am not following some protocol. Regarding the Biochem class listed above, I myself missed MS0 because of work, so I had e-mailed Dr. Wright the other day. Here's his response(although I think it will just point us to the website mentioned earlier)

"You will get an email about that from Dr. Parker next week.

JSW
"

Look forward to meeting you all.

Jedix123 said:
There's going to be a paintball meetup organized by some MS2's and MS3's this sunday (got it in my utsw email again). I'll prob be going. Anyone else interested?
sounds fun, but I'm stuck in Arlington this entire weekend

What if we are going to a place in arlington? Hehehehe

Hey y'all, have there been a lot of emails coming through to your UTSW email accounts? I still haven't gotten any letter about it in the mail...I'm just wondering if I am missing anything big.

Also, side-question, how bad is the area around the medical school, really? I am trying to not have a car for at least the first year so it would be nice to be within walk/bike distance. But I've heard stories... Be honest. I will finally be surfacing in Big D the weekend after this one, so I want the skinny before I sign up somewhere sketchy.

cbgray said:
Hey y'all, have there been a lot of emails coming through to your UTSW email accounts? I still haven't gotten any letter about it in the mail...I'm just wondering if I am missing anything big.

Also, side-question, how bad is the area around the medical school, really? I am trying to not have a car for at least the first year so it would be nice to be within walk/bike distance. But I've heard stories... Be honest. I will finally be surfacing in Big D the weekend after this one, so I want the skinny before I sign up somewhere sketchy.

The area is bad - perhaps one of the worst parts of Dallas. I have a few MS2/3/4 buddies who all tell me that car break-ins are routine - while that seems to be a Dallas Metroplex-wide problem - but particularly at places like Inwood(disclosure: that's second hand, not my personal experience). In general Dallas is highly segmented, and thus you have areas of lower-income residents right next to middle to upper income, which makes it pretty difficult to maintain safety without constant patrol. I've heard gates/security are key like MedPark has. If you want crime stats, this is a great site where you can map the crimes: Dallas PD Crime Map

It seems the huge problem across Dallas is car breakins(occurs in Downtown, Las Colinas, etc). But it doesn't seem all that bad otherwise as long as you use your head. Hope that helps.

Hello all! First time poster. I have lived in Dallas for about a year now. I have found that like any big city, you have some really sketchy areas right next to some really nice areas. I also found if you live on the border between the two, you get a pretty good deal on rent =). So, to answer your question, so far I have not had any problem with where I live. I think it depends on where you are from/what your comfort level is. I have had things stolen when I left them out on my back porch, but I have also had that happen at student complexes I lived in in college. That is the worse that has happened. Alot of people live in MedPark, so I assume it is not too bad. If it were me, I would think about trying it out for the first year, seeing how it goes, and move to Uptown later if you just don't feel safe. Good Luck!

haven't had problems with the UTSW area so far, but should someone rough you up, you'll at least have some hospitals nearby...

cbgray, don't think you're missing anything major with the emails, but sounds like you should give the Information resource folks a call or shoot 'em an email.

Gah paintball is way the hell east of dallas in the texas sun. Maybe next time.

I'm down for dinner fridays if I don't have anything else to do.

Hi! - First Post. Quick question...has anyone tried to get MedPark people from our class to circulate e-mails, contact info? I'm living there and as of now don't know anyone else.

Thanks!

...speaking of e-mails, have you all gotten the letter to set up your UTSW e-mail account? I'm still waiting on mine. I was annexed into the city of memphis a few years ago and since then my mail has been messed up, some recognize my address one way and others another way but nobody wants to reach an agreement...incredibly frustrating

dashbddrumr said:
...speaking of e-mails, have you all gotten the letter to set up your UTSW e-mail account? I'm still waiting on mine. I was annexed into the city of memphis a few years ago and since then my mail has been messed up, some recognize my address one way and others another way but nobody wants to reach an agreement...incredibly frustrating

I think at this point, you should have already gotten the mail about setting up email account. If not, maybe you can try to contact the computer people (or whoever responsible) and see if they can send you another one or just give you the information you need.

For those of you who have not have their email account set up yet, there's an email sent today about MS1 happy hour. Anyone interested? I'll try to post details here when we get more emails regarding that.

For those of you who have not yet set up their email account but still would like to meet MS1 classmates, here's the information about happy hour sent today:

Hey all,

Hope everyone had a good 4th of July. I've gotten a pretty good number of responses so let's get this thing going starting this Friday 5:30pm at McCormick and Schmick's at NorthPark Center. I've been to M&S when I was in Virginia (during undergrad) — they have a $1.95 appetizer menu if you buy a drink ($3-5). For those of you from out of town, NorthPark is a pretty posh mall in Dallas, along the lines of the Galleria.

Address: 307 NorthPark Center, Dallas, TX
Directions: From Harry Hines, take Inwood eastbound,then a right onto Northwest Hwy, go past Tollway, Preston Rd, Hillcrest Rd, NorthPark Center is on your left after a cemetary. M&S is best accessed through the Northwest Hwy entrance.

If you need a ride or can provide rides, let me know and I'll coordinate. I'll actually need a ride b/c I take the DART train from Plano.

Hope to see everyone,
M.

I left out the sentence where this person put down his number. I don't feel comfortable posting his personal contact info here. If you guys want that, please PM me. Hope to see some of you there! :)

sounds good. i'll probably be late if i make it.

Hey ya'll....got a "business-related" post.

Anyone know what the changes are that Dr. Parker spoke of in her e-mail regarding the Biochem curriculum? Is there also a change across the curriculum as a whole?

Just curious....thanks!

megatire said:
Hey ya'll....got a "business-related" post.

Anyone know what the changes are that Dr. Parker spoke of in her e-mail regarding the Biochem curriculum? Is there also a change across the curriculum as a whole?

Just curious....thanks!

Yes, apparently they are using student feedback to overhaul the biochem course. I've been told that this is a good thing because previous classes had to cope with studying for exams in anatomy and biochem at the same time; however, the current changes should eliminate the worst of the overlap. Anyone have any more details?

Lorrayne said:
Yes, apparently they are using student feedback to overhaul the biochem course. I've been told that this is a good thing because previous classes had to cope with studying for exams in anatomy and biochem at the same time; however, the current changes should eliminate the worst of the overlap. Anyone have any more details?
think someone elaborated on this several pages ago. I think biochem is being shortened significantly, and anatomy might be extended, but in all it's a big plus for us.

I might go.... haven't decided yet.

potato51 said:
think someone elaborated on this several pages ago. I think biochem is being shortened significantly, and anatomy might be extended, but in all it's a big plus for us.

Thats good to know. So, I don't know if I'm just late hearing this or not, but apparently they're changing the grading scheme for us too. No more value-based grades(A=90, B=80, etc). Instead, it's going to be a set AMOUNT of grades - 15% A for example. I also hear that the tests will be made more difficult/competitive. All of this apparently is a response to get the ranking of the school higher.

Does anyone know if what I'm hearing is accurate?

Hi,
Does anyone know where we can find our student ID number? I know have seen it around somewhere...

Equine_Sublime said:
Hi,
Does anyone know where we can find our student ID number? I know have seen it around somewhere...

It's in the letter with your email address and password information on it.

megatire said:
Thats good to know. So, I don't know if I'm just late hearing this or not, but apparently they're changing the grading scheme for us too. No more value-based grades(A=90, B=80, etc). Instead, it's going to be a set AMOUNT of grades - 15% A for example. I also hear that the tests will be made more difficult/competitive. All of this apparently is a response to get the ranking of the school higher.

Does anyone know if what I'm hearing is accurate?

yikes! :scared: is this true?!

I'm in Dallas now and saw a few great apartments around the uptown area, so thanks to all ya'all for your PMs / help!!

Too exhausted to go to this happy hour though! Amazing how much this Dallas heat completely drains you out!

I don't think I mind that at all. Most of us didn't pick UTSW to be slackers; otherwise we would have gone to P/F only schools. Good luck to everyone!

Yah I completely agree. I was not concerned about how well anyone would do. I was more thinking of whether it's the correct action to take to get the ranking higher(if it's true, of course). I know there's the intrastate battle with Baylor(that jumped up high to 10), but I find those rankings to be less telling than people might think. Especially with the overweighting given to NIH funding and underweighting given to Peer Assessment and Residency director opinion. (By the way, UTSW is ranked VERY high by residency directors).

Nonetheless, I agree not to sweat it as it's all about having fun in the process anyway.

I don't think the grading policy has anything to do with the school's ranking. If anything i can see it hurting UTSW in student selectivity.

Hey guys, I'm sorry if this is something all of you discussed previously and I somehow overlooked in previous postings, but I had a question regarding textbooks. I have a few MS2/MS3 friends that have told me not to buy all of the books provided on our booklist (which would sum up to be around $800+ worth of books!)...They told me that most of the exam questions come straight out of lecture notes/syllabi...They said the only books that are useful are Netter's and Rohen's for Anatomy...Have you guys heard the same thing? I am trying to shop via amazon and half.com early so I can get good prices on books...That's why I'm asking! Thanks for the help!

hello all fellow UTSWers, just wondering if anyone is still looking for roommate at this point. I would like to share rent with a MSI female classmate. if anyone is interested, please email me at [email protected]

ThaJewelofPR said:
Hey guys, I'm sorry if this is something all of you discussed previously and I somehow overlooked in previous postings, but I had a question regarding textbooks. I have a few MS2/MS3 friends that have told me not to buy all of the books provided on our booklist (which would sum up to be around $800+ worth of books!)...They told me that most of the exam questions come straight out of lecture notes/syllabi...They said the only books that are useful are Netter's and Rohen's for Anatomy...Have you guys heard the same thing? I am trying to shop via amazon and half.com early so I can get good prices on books...That's why I'm asking! Thanks for the help!

err when did we receive a booklist? :confused: (hopefully not at MS0 weekend, b/c I wasn't there)

potato51 said:
I don't think the grading policy has anything to do with the school's ranking. If anything i can see it hurting UTSW in student selectivity.

agreed

lilxixi said:
hello all fellow UTSWers, just wondering if anyone is still looking for roommate at this point. I would like to share rent with a MSI female classmate. if anyone is interested, please email me at [email protected]
Hey Xi,
I think you can either try the UTSW roommate's listing page or contact the ppl at MedPark directly. They should be able to set you up with a roommate.

As for the textbook thing, ya I will probably stick with the high yield stuff. I learned my lesson on buying useless books in Undergrad.

great idea jedix, thanks. I posted on the roommate board, but didn't think of calling the medpark ppl. my parents really wants me to live in medpark, i guess it is easier.