Official UTSW c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lilxixi said:
great idea jedix, thanks. I posted on the roommate board, but didn't think of calling the medpark ppl. my parents really wants me to live in medpark, i guess it is easier.

<bump>

this thread is dead, and classes start in 2 weeks!

Members don't see this ad.

MesoCompound said:
<bump>

this thread is dead, and classes start in 2 weeks!
fo sho

turned in my MPN for that perkins loan and the MPN for the stafford one to my lender. I don't think we have to do anything with that bill they sent us..

Once those loans become official the financial aid office will send you an updated bill with a $0 balance. It's pretty sweet to see that.

Where is everyone? Freaking out...or getting your final kicks in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else have intallments they have to pay in tuition on Jan 1 and March 16? debt makes me sick

Ya 2000$ or something but I think after I turn in all the loans, it'll be 0 for both installments. Whatever is left of your financial aid goes to your bank.

Jedix123 said:
Ya 2000$ or something but I think after I turn in all the loans, it'll be 0 for both installments. Whatever is left of your financial aid goes to your bank.

sorry guys, but are we officially the most boring class ever? Talking about loan payments? What about happy hours? And going to bahama beach or whatever this thing is? I liked Norred's note: that it might be strange - but shouldnt be - to see your future classmates in their bathings suites - especially so early on in the school year!

I'm pretty psyched, but definitely getting butterflys (well, that more because I have to leave my job, move out of my apartment, fly to Houston, drive to Dallas, move into my new apartment, and get all this med school/tuition/books stuff sqared in a week! :scared: but hey, that's my own doing :rolleyes: )

How have the happy hours been? I get so sad that I'm missing all of them! And to ya'all doing research, how is it? How's Southwestern's campus? And the student center?

Ok hopefully this will start some chatter on this thread :cool:

I'm going to the addison two rows this friday. On another note, that VPN prog screwed up my pc royally. some of the researchers seem pretty busy. As for bahama beach... yeah won't be in my best shape but whatever. It's cool how they rented out the whole place for us. No more lines.

hope everyone's enjoying the last remaining weeks before classes start. Is anyone gonna do what I'm doing and actually not buy books, at least not yet? maybe i'm strange, but I've barely thought about the start of med school.

hey Meso good luck with your move. sounds like a crazy week.

I wasn't thinking much about the start of school, either, until they sent us all the orientation info... Now I can feel the excitement building. I just gave my official two weeks notice in my lab this week, so I'm definitely feeling like it is time to go. Too bad I won't be moving up until the 11th.

No books? That's bold. I was going to see if I could pull off not having any internet at home, and I thought I was living on the edge.

Anyone check out the video links in their e-mail today? I'm excited about moving to Dallas (coming down on the 5th) but I think the reality of school finally set in. :eek: So sad to leave the poolside.

Is everyone (who will be there by then) going to try to make it to the gathering on the 10th? I haven't been able to meet any of ya'll so I'll definitely make it.

dashbddrumr said:
Anyone check out the video links in their e-mail today? I'm excited about moving to Dallas (coming down on the 5th) but I think the reality of school finally set in. :eek: So sad to leave the poolside.

Is everyone (who will be there by then) going to try to make it to the gathering on the 10th? I haven't been able to meet any of ya'll so I'll definitely make it.

Wha-huh? Videos? Gatherings?

Am I out of the loop already?

cbgray said:
Wha-huh? Videos? Gatherings?

Am I out of the loop already?

they should be coming to your UTSW account

cbgray, have you checked your UTSW groupwise emails yet? it's all in there.

Members don't see this ad :)
potato51 said:
cbgray, have you checked your UTSW groupwise emails yet? it's all in there.

What video links are you guys talking about? The one in the email with tips? Anyways, can't wait to meet everyone. I've been missing alot of the gatherings but I'll definitely start going to them next week. :)

oh never mind, are you talking about the anatomy videos... If so I aslo suggest this link http://media.medicine.gla.ac.uk/anatomy/content_main_1.htm
this post the achlands DVD anatomy dissections for free (a 160 dollar value) I actually saved all them to my computer, it took me about 2 hours and 1.2 gigs of space, but its well worth it i think.

on a lighter note, who in here plans to go to some Cowboys or mavericks games in here... I know will be real busy, but I at least want to try to make to a couple of games this year.....

BlinkyCat said:
What video links are you guys talking about? The one in the email with tips? Anyways, can't wait to meet everyone. I've been missing alot of the gatherings but I'll definitely start going to them next week. :)

Oh..btw, is ultimate frisbee a guy thing? I've never played that before and am curious. Does it involve tackling?

Hmm, that's funny. I don't really get much email to my UTSW account. The last emails I got were about orientation and parking information. Maybe I should check on that.

As an aside, I am picking up on some ultra-sensitivity towards privacy on SDN, which is cool, but did you know that our school email addresses are available to everyone in the public? The first email I ever got was from my dad after he found it on the UTSW website.

BlinkyCat: no, Ultimate is supposed to be "non-contact." In reality, of course, it's a different story ;) In my experience it is most definitely NOT a guy thing. There are plenty of girls who can kick ass at that particular sport, and do on a regular basis.

dbzgohan: hell yeah! Count me in on any/all sporting events, and that includes the Rangers. Don't go forgetting about baseball now, come on!

yeah I'm up for anything too. I was planning on going to the Texans game in mid-october (in Dallas).

as for frisbee... I'm pretty sure the group that does it is all guys, though I'm sure ladies are welcome.

Sweet - thanks for forwarding me that email Blinky! I notice that it was sent to "ms2010," so I must not be on that list...yet.

if you're on a UTSW network machine, you can also see what carrel you're assigned to from the directory. also our ph numbers are listed.

carrel a39 here! who's with me?

cbgray said:
Sweet - thanks for forwarding me that email Blinky! I notice that it was sent to "ms2010," so I must not be on that list...yet.

no problem!

BlinkyCat said:
no problem!

Hey guys,

That email link was pretty cool. I was watching an anatomy lecture where the professor was dissecting the stomach...showing various skin layers...amazingly enough I didnt lose my lunch. Now when its time for the real thing..hmmmm :scared:

I am so, so, so confused about what books to buy, what not to buy, what websites to use, etcetc. What classes do we actually start with? Just genetics and biochemistry? I think I'm going to hold off on buying any textbooks until I know what actually to buy. What are ya'alls thoughts? Though I probably should have looked into this months ago, I sadly just dont have time to figure all this out now!

I'm definitely going to this thing on the 10th (assuming over 100+ go!).

And the start of classes hasnt phased me at all! I'm leaving my job in 4 days - and havent touched a science textbook in 3 years - so I'm getting jitters.

Good luck to everyone doing there move like me in the coming week/weeks!

I'll def get the syllabus. Might get the biochem book. Dunno about the other books. hopefully not. Def going to get netter's. Also it's prob more helpful to have internet than books. But that's just me.

Helllllo people! I haven't posted to SDN in a while so I figured I'd give my 2 cents before the madness ensues. (next week for ms2's...ahhh). =)

First, I hope you all filled out your bigsib/lilsib surveys. The purpose really is to match people with similar interests.

Second, booooks: the only books i think you really need are for anatomy (moore & dalley, netters or GRANTS, rohen's is useful but not necessary), neuroscience (purves - 3rd edition), and maybe physiology (b/t guyton and hall or boron and boulpaep). again, disclaimer: these are the only books i would recommend...ask someone else, they might recommend something else.

Finally, enjoy your last 2 weeks of summer and welcome to Dallas (especially everyone new to the area)! If you've any other questions, feel free to message me. I'm free for another week. =)

meads said:
First, I hope you all filled out your bigsib/lilsib surveys. The purpose really is to match people with similar interests.

Ummmm, what?

Oh sweet. I think I'm all caught up now.

did you do your bg check?

i've never heard of anyone so excited to move to texas.

potato51 said:
i've never heard of anyone so excited to move to texas.

:laugh: :laugh: mesocompound is so full of happy energy. Maybe I need to steal some of that excitement because right now, i am feeling a little blah about the whole med school in two weeks thing.

BlinkyCat said:
:laugh: :laugh: mesocompound is so full of happy energy. Maybe I need to steal some of that excitement because right now, i am feeling a little blah about the whole med school in two weeks thing.
holy #*@% ! two weeks!

BlinkyCat said:

Me, too, but I finally moved up and went on campus to get my ID today. It made everything seem much, much more real.

I was going to try to just steal internet, but everyone's networks are secured now. When did they all learn to do that? So I guess I'll have to just buy it.

As far as books, I'm waiting to see what they say at orientation and I can talk to some more students.

I hope I'll meet some of you at the happy on thursday!

cbgray said:
Is this something else that we have to do?

Yes, you have to go to this website and fill out information about yourself to initate background check. Also, there were forms you have to fill out by Aug 9 from the registrar office. Did you do that also? um...I think I'm just going to forward those emails to you... :p

man BlinkyCat you're on top of things. I completely forgot about the forms for the registrar.

BlinkyCat said:
um...I think I'm just going to forward those emails to you... :p

Wow...thanks Jedi and Blinky. It's a good thing I've got SDN or else I never would have figured all of this out.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but y'all haven't heard from Dr. Wright lately, have you?

there was an email sent from him on 7/7. I think you need to get yourself added to the MS2010 list!

potato51 said:
there was an email sent from him on 7/7. I think you need to get yourself added to the MS2010 list!

I'm definitely blah about med school though. I was so excited during interview season, but now all that momentum has sorta died down. I'm actually sorta nervous: I dont think my non-existent study habits will cut it in med school (especially one with grades, rankings, gpas... :eek: )

Anyway, yeah make sure you do your criminal background checks (or, according to Wes, you can’t start med school). I don’t know why those things always make me nervous!

Stupid question, but anyone know a good place to buy a bed in Dallas? Like one that can do next day delivery too so I don’t have to blow too much money at the Motel 7 while I wait for furniture in my apartment?

Thanks!!

I'm only excited that I'm no longer living in Houston. As for school, it's been a long time since I studied for anything, so I've little idea what to expect.

is everyone OK with the backgd checks... no pedophiles in our class I assume?

ya cbgray: i think you need to get added to ms2010 asap! I think rooms2go has next day delivery... Also check out IKEA in plano? They have those sweedish beds you can take home. Just rent a home depot truck for like.. 30 bucks

potato51 said:
is everyone OK with the backgd checks... no pedophiles in our class I assume?

It's cool with me, I just wish I didn't have to pay for it.

I'm on ms2010 now! It makes so much more sense now that I am on that list.

Jedix123 said:
ya cbgray: i think you need to get added to ms2010 asap! I think rooms2go has next day delivery... Also check out IKEA in plano? They have those sweedish beds you can take home. Just rent a home depot truck for like.. 30 bucks

Echoing this...get thee to Ikea.

So what are the people in the summer research thing doing with their one week (!) off?

Lyricist said:
Echoing this...get thee to Ikea.

So what are the people in the summer research thing doing with their one week (!) off?
i'm off to visit folks in various parts of TX. don't know if i'll be back in time for that Thursday class party (if it's happening).

hey if y'all go to the curriculum page you can check out our class schedule. looks like we have some long days ahead of us... http://medschool.swmed.edu/

LJ Stanton said:
Does anyone else have intallments they have to pay in tuition on Jan 1 and March 16? debt makes me sick

Hey LJ - yeah, I'll be doing this. My lender has two disbursements and while the first one is big enough to cover my bill, it would only leave like $2500 to live off of until the next disbursement in December. It doesn't seem like most students need that third installment as your second disbursement will be enough to cover both of the delayed payments.

Yeah, debt is a big ol' beeyotch. Signing off on all those loans was the point when all of this became a reality for me. Of course, at the same time I'm counting myself damn lucky that UTSW is so cheap compared to other schools... Hell, my own state school was almost three times as expensive.