*** Official NYCOM Class of 2010 *** pt. 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what time is it over? rents need to get back to jerz at a reasonable hour for work on tuesday...

Members don't see this ad.

i think our white coat ceremony was 2.5-3 hours. they call 300 people up on stage, it takes a while...

Members don't see this ad :)
why the heck do we have to be there at 430?

Also, does anyone know what to where? i assume dressy, but suit and tie or just shirt/pants and maybe tie?

So congrats ppl, only one more crappy test to go. yay.
WTF with bounvino's Q's?

Tegay's setup was board like, but I'm not sure if you need to know when to give Insulin or do a umbilical line on Step 1.

I'm just happy its done :hardy:

Hi Q's freaked me out at first, but in retrospect they were basic questions, the setup WAS very nice and comprhensive, i am sure you need to know crap like that, the point wasnt umbilical line, but to realize it was pseudohypernatremai b/c the 1st blood drawn was traumatic.

Also, are there doses of meds on step 1?

The third article from the bottom has a link to the video of last years White Coat Ceremony... http://iris.nyit.edu/nycom/[email protected]#white

It looks like its 25 minutes of speeches and then we all go up on stage 1 by 1. I think for 275 of us to go up on stage would probably take 40 minutes, they edited out most of the people in the video. Everyone seems pretty dressed up, too.

hey guys, just wondering who here is planning on taking the usmle and if you are taking comlex first or after the usmle. also, what areas on medicine are u interested in for a career? thanks and congrats to everyone, we are almost done with the tough part!

hey guys, just wondering who here is planning on taking the usmle and if you are taking comlex first or after the usmle. also, what areas on medicine are u interested in for a career? thanks and congrats to everyone, we are almost done with the tough part!

Yes
After
Something that pays a lot

Yes
COMLEX after
Um I just want to stay in NYC and not do FP/IM/Peds/PM&R
I've heard alot of place take just COMLEX

We really have to go to that thing? I was planning on wearing jeans if I went and leaving after I got the damn coat.

Im sure they will save the name calling until the end. so bring some reading material

Hey guys,

When you filled out your fafsa for 2nd yr did you put yourselves down as Continuing graduate/Professional, or did you just leave yourselves as 1st yr graduate student? Does it matter?

Thanks!

Hey,

I think I need another path review book for the boards. I currently use the BRS Path book for review and it's been great for class but I've heard good things about Goljan's rapid review.

I also read some great online reviews about Robbins' review book.

Do you guys use either Goljan or Robbins' review? Which do you think is best for boards studying or do you think I need both? I heard the questions from robbins' may be the best for usmle but I'm not sure if that correlates to the comlex too.

Thanks.

robbins review book is basically a question book with all path questions. it is not like brs or goljan rapid review with a complete review of path with bulleted points. the robbins review book is very good though and id add it to ur board prep if you can. it gives good explanantions which are helpful to learn from.

i like the goljan rapid review book bc i can listen to the audio along with the book (it makes it much less boring). it also helps to tie in other areas of study to the path such as biochem. ive been using it the past year and a half and it is probably the best review source ive come across. ive looked at brs path, but do not use it myself. i dont think u can go wrong with brs or goljan though.

Members don't see this ad :)
no the audio is something u cant buy. i guess ur not even supposed to talk about it on the sdn site since its pirated audio of his reviews. anyways pm me if u plan on buying the book and u can get the audio.

Goljan rapid review path is a must have. I also listen to his audio religiously. Plasticman is a closet Goljan fan! :cool:

Do we have an exam for HIPPA and infection control seminars?

They didn't say anything about it but I have a feeling we do since if you were to take the course on your own you'd have an exam. I kind of wish they gave this to us in like say January as opposed to so close to boards but I guess there is nothing we can do about it at this point.

Who here is taking both of them and using qbank? Does anyone else find the comlex questions to be significantly easier than the USMLE ones. Is the comlex really going to be as straightforward on the real exam? Some of their questions are just a couple of sentences whereas the USMLE seems to have a paragraph for every question.

Does anyone know how last year's class did on the comlex vs. the USMLE?

I feel like it's probably better to not take the USMLE than to take it and get a poor score. That will make your COMLEX scores not seem legitimate unless you're applying to an osteopathic program.

im taking both and only using usmle qbanks. i also heard these questions were harder and i feel like if i study all usmle qbank questions, i will be more than prepared for the comlex. im using kaplan and usmle world qbanks.

if u are not confident about taking the usmle and passing or doing well, take a nbme practice exam which should show u where u really stand. if you are passing at this point of the year, your score on the usmle can only get better. it also depends what you are interested in as far as residency and a future career. the more competitive the field or place that you want to do your residency, the more i feel that you should take the usmle.

Don't forget about OMM though just studying the USMLE, haha. The tests are very different, but I guess I have to agree that if you can do the USMLE you can take the COMLEX.

I'm also not really concerned so much about passing the USMLE as I am about getting a solid score. If you're just trying to pass the USMLE it's not worth it in my opinion. The only reason for taking it is if you're sure you can get over a 220. Otherwise, you're not really going to be helping yourself at those competitive programs anyway, right?

Anyway, I'm leaning towards taking the USMLE, but I may wait till I get my COMLEX scores back before I do that. DOes anyone know how long they take to get back to us?

Who here is taking both of them and using qbank? Does anyone else find the comlex questions to be significantly easier than the USMLE ones. Is the comlex really going to be as straightforward on the real exam? Some of their questions are just a couple of sentences whereas the USMLE seems to have a paragraph for every question.

Does anyone know how last year's class did on the comlex vs. the USMLE?

I feel like it's probably better to not take the USMLE than to take it and get a poor score. That will make your COMLEX scores not seem legitimate unless you're applying to an osteopathic program.

I am taking both USMLE and COMLEX. I am taking USMLE before COMLEX with the logic that USMLE prep will come in handy for COMLEX and all I need to add to my prep is OMM.

I am subscribed to both USMLE World and Kaplan QBANK. Kaplan QBANK doesn't even match up to USMLE World in difficulty and depth in most cases (IMHO). I started doing USMLE World beginning October '07 1st week. And I started doing Kaplan QBank in December '07. To be honest, after doing USMLE World, I didn't have problem tackling QBANK at all. Doing USMSLE World is very humbling, especially when you think you know the topic only to realize you still need to cover it in more detail.

Does anyone know why we need to bring our clickers to lecture on the 23rd? Are they taking attendence, or is it just because the lecturer made a quiz? The email was worded in a way that sounded like we were informed of this before, but I don't remember hearing anything.

I am subscribed to both USMLE World and Kaplan QBANK. Kaplan QBANK doesn't even match up to USMLE World in difficulty and depth in most cases (IMHO). I started doing USMLE World beginning October '07 1st week. And I started doing Kaplan QBank in December '07. To be honest, after doing USMLE World, I didn't have problem tackling QBANK at all. Doing USMSLE World is very humbling, especially when you think you know the topic only to realize you still need to cover it in more detail.

Yeah USMLE World is like so good, it really makes you think. Also I felt the explanations were so much better than Kaplan. But like someone said before take the NBME's and if your not doing well on them you don't need to take the USMLE.

I saw an old Comlex practice exam from either 2001 or 2004 and the questions were similar to NYCOM question style.

does anyone know who has the omm quiz tomorrow? workshop or lab group or do we have an exam both weeks? thanks

does anyone know who has the omm quiz tomorrow? workshop or lab group or do we have an exam both weeks? thanks

The email says Lab. I assumed that to mean A is taking it tomorrow in lab, and B is taking it next week in lab.

Anyone know what the deal is with this OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Examination)? Is this graded? How does this work?

Anyone know what the deal is with this OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Examination)? Is this graded? How does this work?
Not exactly sure if its graded, but from the 1st email about it there are going to be four 25 minute encounters that we do without any feedback afterwards. As well I know we have to start with vitals for all and I guess write a SOAP note. I thought they were supposed to post something more about it but I havnt been able to find any additional info or videos.

Elaine told us that we will not be evaluated by the SPs, but the DPR faculty will read our soap notes. We won't get a "grade" like we did for the neuro thing, but we will get a response back. It doesn't count for anything though. It kinda sounded like it was more for them, as an evaluation for how well they are teaching us, rather than for our benefit. Basically if you can't write a soap note by now, this exercise isn't going to change that before july 2.

Just because you are unable to palpate, doesn't mean you have to hate on the rest of us who are skilled enough to feel the motions in our patients. Don't want to do OMM, don't come to osteopathic school!!! I for one think it's long overdue that we got to cranial, no seizures since I was 2 because of yearly cranial treatments - all without meds.:cool:

Not knocking OMM... I find it interesting but couldnt you have just grown out of the seizures. You cant exactly contribute your lack of seizures to cranial unless you stop cranial and keep everything else constant and begin to get seizures again, right?
Not trying to pick a fight... just curious

Just because you are unable to palpate, doesn't mean you have to hate on the rest of us who are skilled enough to feel the motions in our patients. Don't want to do OMM, don't come to osteopathic school!!! I for one think it's long overdue that we got to cranial, no seizures since I was 2 because of yearly cranial treatments - all without meds.:cool:

HATERS.....!!!!!
Unbelievable. Oh I get it, you got accepted in to MD school but chose to come to NYCOM for the holisitic OMM approach to patients.
All I am asking is to see some scientific proof. Is it too much to ask? And remember, if you can't take some constructive critical analysis from your classmates, how are you going to deal with those MD attendings/students in the course of your career?

HATERS.....!!!!!
Unbelievable. Oh I get it, you got accepted in to MD school but chose to come to NYCOM for the holisitic OMM approach to patients.
All I am asking is to see some scientific proof. Is it too much to ask? And remember, if you can't take some constructive critical analysis from your classmates, how are you going to deal with those MD attendings/students in the course of your career?

Constructive critical analysis? Denigration of one's classmates (and yourself in the process) as second string students is hardly an analysis. And as far as scientific proof goes, evidence based medicine looks good on paper but most physicians practice on what they see with their own eyes. Anecdotal evidence, case reports, whatever you want to call it. For myself, I know I didn't "outgrow seizures". My mother was treated by the same doctor, she had a 20 year epilepsy history when her drivers license was taken away over an accident that the other driver claimed was because of her seizures - with dietary changes and weekly OMM sessions she's managed to not only stay off phenobarb but she's petitioning for her license back.

Constructive critical analysis? Denigration of one's classmates (and yourself in the process) as second string students is hardly an analysis. And as far as scientific proof goes, evidence based medicine looks good on paper but most physicians practice on what they see with their own eyes. Anecdotal evidence, case reports, whatever you want to call it. For myself, I know I didn't "outgrow seizures". My mother was treated by the same doctor, she had a 20 year epilepsy history when her drivers license was taken away over an accident that the other driver claimed was because of her seizures - with dietary changes and weekly OMM sessions she's managed to not only stay off phenobarb but she's petitioning for her license back.
Even with my skepticism of cranial, I have to admit that's impressive.

Just to clarify, I was referring to the Cranial therapy research (and not your personal situation).
That being said, I don't understand why most DOs are so sensitive and touchy when it comes to evidence based medicine. If you say it works, you better have some proof to back it up. I am sure most of the sensible physicians wouldn't prescribe or personally use medication that "supposedly" works. And how am I putting down my I fellow classmates, by asking for evidence based research?
There are aspects of OMM that I has been proven to work(and I use often on my family members) and then there is whole another world of OMM where things make sense only when pigs fly. But hey, that is just me.
Lack of reseach makes me look like we are mooching off MDs, who are doing major research. Atleast I did my part by doing research at North Shore Hospital over the summer. And I am proud of the fact that some of our classmates did the same by doing research at NYCOM and other hospitals in NYC.

Of all the OMM we've done so far, cranial is definitely the most criticized. My experience with OMM so far has been that there are some pieces of it that I think are great and I would use in practice depending on what specialty I go into, and there are others I might avoid. I agree though about the EBM. I wish some osteopaths would run a bunch of clinial trials. I think it would only make lectures stronger if someone started off a lecture by saying "In 2006, Dr. So and So ran a study about how cranial OMM can stop seizures. So many patients were treated, so many were cured, etc. etc." I don't necessarily doubt anything we've learned in OMM but there are definitely some things I'm not convinced of. I wish I could know for sure that some of this stuff works because I think it makes it easier to use on patients in a hospital if you could quote studies to them as well.

Those "quackwatch" articles were ridiculous by the way. I know the guy didn't claim they were attacks BUT they're listed on "quackwatch.com." That to me is an attack on our future profession.

An interesting aside...I'm not sure how many of you read www.pathguy.com but on his website he discusses alternative medicine. http://www.pathguy.com/altermed.htm#manipulation
He says he's "confident" that manipulative medicine works. He says references to follow and I haven't been able to find anything, but it's definitely nice when MDs believe in some of this stuff.

In my opinion, OMM definitely has a place in medicine. I think that there are some DO's who may use it too much and think it's a cure all, which it's not, but I think that in the right specialties, especially PM&R, it's a great adjunct treatment.

So its pretty much just an H&P? But we only fill out the SO part of the SOAP note?

Not exactly sure if its graded, but from the 1st email about it there are going to be four 25 minute encounters that we do without any feedback afterwards. As well I know we have to start with vitals for all and I guess write a SOAP note. I thought they were supposed to post something more about it but I havnt been able to find any additional info or videos.

Cool, children do stop having febrile seizure's

"Feel the motion of the bones under your fingers" :laugh:
The sutures fused, its pure bull$hit.
Anything you feel, or they claim to feel is either: A) BS or B) frontalis or temporalis

If the skull were so weak that one could manipulate the bones with their fingers or feel motion of the bones under ones fingers we would be in SERIOUS trouble.

So its pretty much just an H&P? But we only fill out the SO part of the SOAP note?
H&P(including vitals) and then fill in SO part of SOAP note after you exit the room.

One of the ladies CC was symptoms of menopause, I was like how am I suppose to do a targeted physical for this?

It wasn't bad at all, the 25 minutes go by fast.

You didn't do any targeted PEs?

Dr. Scandalis has a lecture this week. My DPR instructor said he used to lock the doors at the start of lecture when he used to teach FM.

:smuggrin:
Yeah, targeted PE for whatever system is troubling them.

You didn't do any targeted PEs?

Dr. Scandalis has a lecture this week. My DPR instructor said he used to lock the doors at the start of lecture when he used to teach FM.

:smuggrin:
Sounds like a fire hazard.

I heard the same thing from one of my ACLS instructors. if he had a lecture that started at 8 he would lock the doors at 8 sharp and if you were late you weren't allowed in. I think for us that could mean that if he sees less than 80% attendance they might not stream the lecture. Just a thought

I heard the same thing from one of my ACLS instructors. if he had a lecture that started at 8 he would lock the doors at 8 sharp and if you were late you weren't allowed in. I think for us that could mean that if he sees less than 80% attendance they might not stream the lecture. Just a thought

Between mandatory physicals starting, and like 3 icc's running, they HAVE to stream the lecture. I'm pretty sure they haven't gotten a system up and running for allowing only those students to stream yet. I'll prolly go to the lecture anyway, but i really doubt it'll be taken down.

Between mandatory physicals starting, and like 3 icc's running, they HAVE to stream the lecture. I'm pretty sure they haven't gotten a system up and running for allowing only those students to stream yet. I'll prolly go to the lecture anyway, but i really doubt it'll be taken down.

See, that is the problem here. That is exactly what caring administration would do. But when it comes to NYCOM administration, all bets are off. Just to piss off the students, they would do anything but what is logical. Just a bunch of jerks.:thumbdown:

See, that is the problem here. That is exactly what caring administration would do. But when it comes to NYCOM administration, all bets are off. Just to piss off the students, they would do anything but what is logical. Just a bunch of jerks.:thumbdown:

Ahhh! You win!! Glad I went to class... Although I am waiting to see what happens if someone has a legitimate excuse for not being in class today, and they want the stream.... (ps, it got streamed, it's just not posted)